PDA

View Full Version : Hair cut help please

gazelle
September 17th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Hi friends. A friend of mine requested me to cut her hair with layers. I can trim my hair myself but no more I know about hair cutting. I told that I can't, but she asked me to give a try. She won't be angry if it looks awful, and told that it won't be problem because of the wavy hair of her.

So I am looking for practical information to cut one's hair with layers:confused:

Yozhik
September 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Look up some do-it-yourself techniques on youtube. I always find visual aid to be quite helpful. :)

One common method is to make a ponytail at the top of your head, then carefully slide the ponytail holder straight up to the ends. Then cut off however much you want to cut off. I'm pretty sure if you tilt your head further forward when you make the ponytail, you get more layers.

Also, if you don't have any already, make sure you have a pair of really sharp scissors that you use exclusively to cut hair.

I hope that helps!

gazelle
September 18th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I looked youtube and techniques were like you mentioned: making a ponytail and cut the tip of it. I will try that on friend, she is a volunteer to be a victim:D
I have been micro trimming my hair straightly, so I have hair scissors.

UltraBella
September 18th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't do it. Layers can look really bad if not done correctly.

longhairedlady
September 18th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I am gonna agree with ultrabella. I have seen some pretty funky looking layers before.

gazelle
September 18th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I am gonna agree with ultrabella. I have seen some pretty funky looking layers before.

I can straightly trim hair, but really don't have an experience about layers. I am really afraid to make her hair look bad.I don't know if i can persuade her. She has nearly waist length hair and wants short hair. So I can comfort myself: if bad layers, we can go to hairdersser and cut more, short hair is not problem for her (She is not like us:D)

kidari
September 18th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I sliding technique would make the most sense but you can't start cutting it too high up and if you don't know what you are doing things go bad very fast. I have only practiced it on myself and learned from there but even though now I'm comfortable cutting my own layers I would never cut them on another person's hair. It's so much different cutting your own to cutting someone else's. Also, if you make a mistake they would be very upset and I would never want that. You need to understand the hair type you are working with, know how to section off the hair to be cut in layers or bangs very specifically to give the effect you want. If you cut your own hair that is straight, you wouldn't know what to do with someone with curly hair for example. I've seen a good video on youtube for cutting round layers, but it looks a little difficult. I wouldn't feel confident doing it on someone but here is the video in case you find it useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI8PFCEwm6E&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL63A826F390637E6D

XYZW
September 18th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Hi friends. A friend of mine requested me to cut her hair with layers. I can trim my hair myself but no more I know about hair cutting. I told that I can't, but she asked me to give a try. She won't be angry if it looks awful, and told that it won't be problem because of the wavy hair of her.

So I am looking for practical information to cut one's hair with layers:confused:

simply regular cut/trim with upside down hair.

i tried it on myself, and loved the results:

1- get all the hair upside down, detangle, make sure there is no waves/tangles or any thing that affect the length of some hair locks *for my wavy hair, i dampened/oiled my hair to obtain that*

2- just cut as regular trim.

3- put it back and enjoy the layers :eyebrows:

i learned to do it, from this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJMsun42Gqc&feature=relmfu)

i didn't buy/use the product, just used two fingers as guidline as regular.

hope this helps:),

gazelle
September 18th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Thank you all friends for your helps. I used this technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGDVH0q650Q I trimmed much more hair than this girl in video, but I did the haircut in the same way. It was succesful. Beautiful result on her, so I am happy and no more anxious for her hair:D

heartgoesboom
September 18th, 2011, 01:41 PM
http://www.dhukai.com/how-to-cut-long-round-layers-in-your-hair/

here's another video. just cut longer than she wants it so she can still get it fixed if it turns out horribly :P