PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what color to dye my hair.

Alex Lou
September 16th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I'm a poor judge when it comes to some aspects of my own appearance. So, tell me what color you think looks best. Combinations or other suggestions are also welcome.
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n461/julieandcandy/colors-2.jpg

Oh, and I also cut my hair. It's not my favorite style-wise, but it is the easiest haircut I've ever had! All I do is comb my bangs. And it's super-soft so I'm pretty happy with it. Trying to grow my hair out made me aware of the texture changes from damage. I'm glad to be rid of the damage. (I know...if I bleach it to get some of these colors then I'll have damage again. :rolleyes: But sometimes you've just gotta do something fun.)

But let me know if you think the cut looks terrible...

Thanks for looking! :)

FrozenBritannia
September 16th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Well, I'm new, and it's hard to tell from the pictures, but I liked the brown on the top in the middle.. Warm colours like red tend to look best on people with green veins, and colder colours (ashy) tend to look best on people with blue veins, if that helps any?

Lostsoule77
September 16th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I like the brown on the top left and the reddish brown on the top right the best.

spidermom
September 16th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I like the first color, top left. I'm not a fan of the hair cut.

luxepiggy
September 16th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I like the far left and middle photos in row 2 (^(oo)^)v

The darker colours in the top row make you look older, IPHO. The far right of rows 2 & 3 are too orange and unflattering for your skin tone. The remainder of row 3 is too light and washes you out a little.

tinywife
September 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I agree with LuxePiggy, the first two pics in the middle row. But that's just because I love red hair.

Quixii
September 16th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I like 1.3 and 2.2. :) Also, I'm not a huge fan of the cut, but if it works for you, that's all that matters. :)

invisiblebabe
September 16th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I like the one on the far right, middle row best.

I'd be very curious to see what you look like with the bangs pinned to the side or off your face!

Alex Lou
September 16th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. I thought maybe I made my skin too yellow, so I changed it slightly. I think it looks more like me now. Sorry for being confusing. ><

Toadstool
September 16th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I like the first brown best. It looks most natural on you, IMO. :-)

Alex Lou
September 16th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I'd be very curious to see what you look like with the bangs pinned to the side or off your face!
Here you go:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n461/julieandcandy/DSCF7052cropifiedtakethree.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/2473123432_900b4013e6_m.jpg
And here's the bangs from when my hair was long(er):
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n461/julieandcandy/parasolcrop.jpg
I really like the bangs actually. Just got them this spring for the first time since I was a child. I'm gonna enjoy them a while longer before I grow them out.

Alacris~
September 17th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Wouw, I really like the last picture you posted! (with the straight across bangs and longer hair).
It suits you so much better imo.

And colorwise I like the top left or the second one (the brown options) the best!
I think the second brown color is just a little harsh though. So I go with the top left!
It looks really pretty on you!

longhairedlady
September 17th, 2011, 02:21 AM
I am gonna say the 1.1 for the color. I LOVE the hairstyle in the umbrella shot! :)

LadyCelestina
September 17th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I love,love the cut,it really suits you! :) Also,I like the first brown hair photo and the one on the far right, middle row.

Curly Hermione
September 17th, 2011, 02:59 AM
the first two browns, they suit you!

Bec de Corbin
September 17th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I'm going to go with 2.1 and 2.2. It looks like you have that pinky-pale skin that looks so natural with red hair, and I think the slightly darker brown-red (not as orange as the last column) really brings out your eyes.

Mymagicfairy
September 17th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I like the second row in the middle
The red , and your current cut is super cute
If its easy and u like it that's the key
I just cut my hair from a short bob to a Rhianna pixie
And I am much more happy

MinderMutsig
September 17th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I like 1.1 and 2.1.

Noreth
September 17th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Either the upper left corner or the middle one. :)

SwordWomanRiona
September 17th, 2011, 04:41 AM
I think a copper colour like the one in the fifth picture (starting from above) suits your complexion very nicely. But, of course, ultimately it's your own opinion what really counts :).

alyanna
September 17th, 2011, 06:33 AM
The very first photo looks the most natural. To me, it looks like your "real" hair color. The third one on the first row is my next favorite.

Long hair is really flattering on you! I prefer the side bangs as I think they soften your features. I've had your shorter haircut before and I agree it was a breeze to care for. It likes a messier, wurly look so fit my hair type perfectly.

Yozhik
September 17th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I like 1.1, 1.3, and 2.1 on you. :)

I also love the photo of you with the parasol!

With the shorter hair, your hair looks curlier than 2a and it has great body! How do you get your bangs to be so straight? I've been considering getting bangs, but I'm worried how they'll behave since I have 2b/c hair... :hmm:

starlamelissa
September 17th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I like the cut! And I think that brown in the top middle photo is just chocolate-y and pretty. I would pair it with a sheer red lip color for maximum prettiness.

Kapri
September 17th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I love you with long hair whichever way and with medium brown hair with a hint of warmth but not too much red. You have similar colouring to me and extremes of coolness or warmth seem to be too much
. xx

honeyblonde
September 17th, 2011, 10:36 AM
3rd pic. in 1st. row!! Nice color for you!! I think you would look great with side swept bangs too! :)

invisiblebabe
September 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM
The side bangs are my favorite on you, but go with what you like. It's fun to have a change sometimes. :)

Fufu
September 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I like the first brown too :)

Alex Lou
September 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for more opinions. You are confirming the suspicions I've had for many years (but people close to me tell me otherwise). Looks like browns, auburn, and cool, pinkish-reds are winning. Any one of those I can do with temporary dye and grow my hair out soft and undamaged, so it's sounding pretty good to me. :) My husband took a look and asked me not to dye my hair brown. I may or may not listen to him. I've always admired dark brown hair. He'll like it either way.

With the shorter hair, your hair looks curlier than 2a and it has great body! How do you get your bangs to be so straight? I've been considering getting bangs, but I'm worried how they'll behave since I have 2b/c hair... :hmm:Thanks! It gets curlier because I'm basically doing CG method and sleeping on it when it's still damp. The bangs I shampoo everyday, then I towel dry my hair. Then 5 to 15 min later when my bangs are still damp, I pick them out from the rest of my hair and comb them a couple times with a wide-tooth comb. When my hair was long, though, I used to iron it because my bangs would look too puffy. But now that my whole head is puffy, I don't mind the bangs un-ironed and prefer to do what's easiest. It helps that my bangs are long so they have room to curl up. They go almost to the tip of my nose when I pull them straight. The iron really wasn't that hard though: only takes a couple minutes. And who cares about damaging what you're going to cut anyway?

oktobergoud
September 17th, 2011, 11:44 AM
The first picture! :)

jojo
September 17th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I like the 1st and 2nd photo, I prefer brown hair on you as I think red isn't really you and I prefer your hair longer without the fringe better.

BlazingHeart
September 17th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I think I like 1.1 and 2.1 the best. A hint of red does nicely on you.

But here's a question no one seems to be asking - what's your natural color and why do you want to dye away from it? It'd be nice to see what your natural color is, when talking about what color to dye to (and for that matter, whether to dye).

I don't think the lighter colors work as well for you, which I suppose is a bonus since the darker colors are easier to get to without as much damage.

~Blaze

HuggyBear
September 17th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I like both the hair colors in the first picture and in the third picture (top row). IMO, they are the ones that look natural and the most flattering. I think side swept bangs would look great on you. :)

Alex Lou
September 17th, 2011, 04:55 PM
But here's a question no one seems to be asking - what's your natural color and why do you want to dye away from it? It'd be nice to see what your natural color is, when talking about what color to dye to (and for that matter, whether to dye).
I don't wanna say because I wouldn't want to influence anyone. ;) It's interesting to see what people think looks natural. But here you go:
The upper right hand photo is my current natural, which is about the darkest my natural has ever looked. It can get really ridiculously bright with sun, but most of the time, I think it tends to look somewhere in between, like this:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n461/julieandcandy/HPIM0065.jpgI don't like the yellow tones in it. I've always thought that it clashes with my skin.

Demetrue
September 17th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I prefer the first photo - brown - upper left hand corner. You could just do a deposit only in a light brown - nothing too drastic or damaging. My favorite pic is you with the long hair holding the parasol.

SwordWomanRiona
September 18th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I don't wanna say because I wouldn't want to influence anyone. ;) It's interesting to see what people think looks natural. But here you go:
The upper right hand photo is my current natural, which is about the darkest my natural has ever looked. It can get really ridiculously bright with sun, but most of the time, I think it tends to look somewhere in between, like this:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n461/julieandcandy/HPIM0065.jpgI don't like the yellow tones in it. I've always thought that it clashes with my skin.

Wow! I love your natural hair-colour :)

stacyyyy1972
September 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I like the first brown pic :) looks good with your skin tone and more natural.

Navydoc_76
September 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM
i really love your natural color! that copper penny look is just beautiful!

BlazingHeart
September 18th, 2011, 09:29 AM

Fair enough. At least it looks like the colors you want will be easy to get to - a light brown deposit-only over your natural color ought to do, I think, though I'm not certain how that would dye over the red (that is, how much of the natural red would show through - I really think it would be a pity to not keep some of that red!)

~Blaze

Kapri
September 18th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I love your natural hair colour too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It goes with you, your skin tone etc
etc

Alex Lou
September 18th, 2011, 12:21 PM
See? Now that people know what my natural is, everyone says they like it, when before they were saying brown, my darkest natural, or cool red. The one in the right-hand column, middle row is meant to represent my natural at it's brightest. All I did was increase the lightness and saturation, so it's the same hue! And almost no one likes that one.

Demetrue
September 18th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Seeing your natural color (not photoshopped, etc) I think it would look stunning long!

spidermom
September 18th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I still like the top row, first picture best, even knowing your natural color.

I like the additional pictures of your hair long and without bangs; very pretty!

Alex Lou
September 18th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Okay, I guess that last photo is essentially a different color, more subdued and blonde. I added it to the first page.

Alex Lou
September 18th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Honestly, I'm confused about what my natural even looks like. There are never any mirrors outside, so I can't see.

So, here are some photos of my natural hair looking very bright. I don't think it would get this bright again since I take less sun now. The blonde at the very tips is some bleaching that I was growing out.
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n461/julieandcandy/brighthairphotos.jpg
The images on page 2 are also almost my natural, except that I have some very light henna on the length.

I'm just confused now. But thanks again for the all the input. :) I really do appreciate it.

Airmide
September 18th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I was first going to say 1, 3 and 4. I think maybe part of people's color choices is how things looked photoshopped vs. real. I would have guessed 1 as your original color in those shots, but in seeing the other pics you posted I think the pics in your second post with the umbrella look the most natural. I especially like the first, with the side swept bangs! I think that looks super flattering on you. Personally I'd say grow out your natural color and be proud of it! Or have you considered henna? I've never tried it but I understand it can be very conditioning and you can achieve a huge range of colors.

Alex Lou
September 18th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Or have you considered henna? I've never tried it but I understand it can be very conditioning and you can achieve a huge range of colors.
I am considering henna. It's quite a commitment, but I think that if I just use it on the bottom half of my hair (the under-layer) then I won't have roots that show and it won't be too noticeable if I decide to grow it out. I see a lotta ladies around here looking radiant with henna! It's tempting.

SwordWomanRiona
September 18th, 2011, 03:05 PM
See? Now that people know what my natural is, everyone says they like it, when before they were saying brown, my darkest natural, or cool red. The one in the right-hand column, middle row is meant to represent my natural at it's brightest. All I did was increase the lightness and saturation, so it's the same hue! And almost no one likes that one.

Well, I at least kept thinking copper looks gorgeous on you before knowing that you actually are a natural redhead :D.
*personally, I would never dye my hair dark brown if I were a redhead, I love red hair and think you are so lucky to have such a gorgeous shade of red as your natural hair-colour ;)*
But, of course, it's your choice what matters, let us not forget that! :)

SwordWomanRiona
September 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Honestly, I'm confused about what my natural even looks like. There are never any mirrors outside, so I can't see.

So, here are some photos of my natural hair looking very bright. I don't think it would get this bright again since I take less sun now. The blonde at the very tips is some bleaching that I was growing out.
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n461/julieandcandy/brighthairphotos.jpg
The images on page 2 are also almost my natural, except that I have some very light henna on the length.

I'm just confused now. But thanks again for the all the input. :) I really do appreciate it.

Wow. That copper red is my dream hair-colour. Absolutely gorgeous :crush:.
Given that it is your natural hair-colour, I can understand you want a change, but if I had that colour or could get it with henna (unfortunately, my hair's medium auburn and too dark for that :(), I wouldn't part with it! ;)

pepperminttea
September 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear, but I think your natural colour is absolutely stunning. I'd stick with that over anything from a box. Incidentally, I think the haircut in the original post is kind of cute too (you have one of those faces that seem to be able to pull off any cut - lucky you!). :)

Alex Lou
September 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear, but I think your natural colour is absolutely stunning.Being told that my natural color is stunning is definitely a good thing. :D But it's something that I'm used to hearing, and I think that usually when people say that, they are looking at my hair as an independent entity and not how my hair looks on me. And I don't think that red is all that special anymore. Anyone can have red. A box redhead can be just as brilliant or more brilliant than me.

Wow. That copper red is my dream hair-colour. Absolutely gorgeous :crush:.
Given that it is your natural hair-colour, I can understand you want a change, but if I had that colour or could get it with henna (unfortunately, my hair's medium auburn and too dark for that :(), I wouldn't part with it! ;)
I know that you've probably given it long thought before and have good reasons not to bleach. But maybe you should reconsider going for it. Any time that someone has a "dream color" I think that they should at least have it once. I'd like to see that color on your head! We can trade. ;)

Well, I at least kept thinking copper looks gorgeous on you before knowing that you actually are a natural redhead :D.
Yeah, I guess that you spotted the redhead! But you suggested the red that's more red and less orangy than mine. I agree with you, I think that color's better for me.

I'm not really seeing the advantages of permanent dye right now (except for henna possibly). I hate light roots when I dye my hair with darker permanent dyes. I'd much rather have a dye that fades away as my roots grow out. I figure that I can use temporary once a month or so to maintain the color. So if I do go brown, it will be temporary and my natural will be preserved for future exposure. Actually, I have some Garnier Herbashine that I had bought for the summer, but didn't use because I decided to dye my hair green instead.

Susana
September 19th, 2011, 01:46 PM
1.1, 1.2, and 3.1

SwordWomanRiona
September 20th, 2011, 04:37 AM
I know that you've probably given it long thought before and have good reasons not to bleach. But maybe you should reconsider going for it. Any time that someone has a "dream color" I think that they should at least have it once. I'd like to see that color on your head! We can trade. ;)

Yeah, I guess that you spotted the redhead! But you suggested the red that's more red and less orangy than mine. I agree with you, I think that color's better for me.

I'm not really seeing the advantages of permanent dye right now (except for henna possibly). I hate light roots when I dye my hair with darker permanent dyes. I'd much rather have a dye that fades away as my roots grow out. I figure that I can use temporary once a month or so to maintain the color. So if I do go brown, it will be temporary and my natural will be preserved for future exposure.

A semi-permanent dye seems like a good option to me...That way, you can try being a brunette without losing your (gorgeous :)) flaming red for a long time!
I think I spotted the redhead complexion in you, yes, but anyway, I think I'll always be choosing a red shade, because it's my favourite hair-colour :D. And I think that a natural redhead's hair can look stunning, much more than many chemical-dyed redheads, in my opinion. Henna gives wonderful results in practically all cases, but I think chemical dyes often leave the hair without shine, and damaged (unless one knows how to treat hair dyed chemically, but that doesn't usually happen outside LHC...).

About my hair...Before I knew about henna, I was tempted to dye my hair copper because it's my dream colour, but I have never done it because my hair is very fine and I'm afraid of the potential damage...When I henna'ed, I didn't know about its being so permanent, and I darkened my natural hair-colour considerably...I agree about trying one's dream hair-colour at least once, though...I don't think I want to bleach, but I've considered trying honey lightenings to see if I can lighten my roots a bit...My ends are already very coppery, lightened by the Sun and all that, the roots are much darker.

Alex Lou
September 21st, 2011, 10:33 PM
Well that's cool, Riona, that you have some of your dream color going in your hair. I like the idea of honey lightening.

Does anyone know what honey does on naturally auburn/red hair? Would it lift the copper and brown evenly to go a lighter shade of auburn? Or would it just lift the brown and leave the brilliant copper like UV does?

Alex Lou
September 25th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Update:

I find myself chicken to go brown. I really like brown and agree that it would probably look best on me, but I still identify as a redhead. So I fear: losing my identity, and/or looking too conservative with a conservative color and my conservative cut. I'm thinking that I'd like to try brown when my hair is longer since I really like long, brown, wavy hair.

But, I'm also reconsidering not growing it out right away. I've been getting lots of compliments on my cut and one of my closest friends told me that she thinks I always look best with short hair. And she really likes long hair, so I know that she's evaluating somewhat objectively.

For now I'm using honey lightening (which I think will probably dull my natural orange) and using a red rinse diluted in conditioner to cool my color.

Demetrue
September 25th, 2011, 09:15 PM
If my hair was naturally your color, I wouldn't cover it with brown dye either. And though your closest friend is entitled to her own opinion, the only person's opinion that matters is yours. It doesn't matter if she likes short hair on you - it only matters what YOU want and like ...

Alex Lou
September 25th, 2011, 09:41 PM
If I knew what I wanted then I would do it. But I don't know what I want so the opinions of others help. That's why I ask! ;)

MrsGuther
September 25th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I like the very dark brown in the top middle picture. :)

WinterButterfly
September 25th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I liked the bright one on the bottom right. it makes me think forest fairy. And while I do prefer longeer hair, the cut you have is cute. Of course I would encourage almost anyone to grow their hair long if I could. I'm a fan of red hair. I also prefer dynamic and bright colors. Things that stand out appeal to me. But that is what I find astetically pleasing. You probably have a natural leaning toward one thing. If it is the more damaging thing, you might try the lesss damaging one for a while first and then lighten it later if you still want to.

Alex Lou
September 28th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Winterbutterfly,
I like that you like that one. I once met this girl who had her hair dyed a ridiculously bright and pure orange. It reminded me of pink, and I've been fascinated by it ever since. That's why I included that color. I don't think it looks bad on me even though it's not the most flattering. It looks better than I thought and I just like the way it pops and looks really fresh and fun. You have renewed that color as an option for me.

I'm trying to do a honey lightening every day this week. Partly I'm just curious to see if it really works.

Roseate
September 28th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I like the first picture (the softer brown) and the last picture (the brightest red-orange). The cool reds are the least flattering to my eye, seem to clash with your warm skin. The bright red really brings out your eyes!

I like the haircut, looks good with your wavy texture. Longer's pretty too!

Nicci4
September 28th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I like the top middle the best of those colors. Hubby likes bottom row middle best and says you are a hottie :agape:

Alex Lou
September 29th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hubby likes bottom row middle best and says you are a hottie :agape: :lol: One vote for strawberry-blonde-pink. Now that I think about it, men might have drastically different opinions on this than women.

Jinglelocks
September 29th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I enjoy upper left and bottom left examples best. Which do you like best?

Stephanie
September 29th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Love the first top picture. Color looks rich and healthy.

Calaelen
September 29th, 2011, 02:32 PM
3,6,7, and 9 suit your skin tone the best...that coming from a professional stylist.

Rocket22
September 29th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I love the longer and natural color on you. I think the current cut makes you look older then you are and almost hides your face. The photos with your hair long and off your face are fantastic!!

Alex Lou
September 29th, 2011, 11:24 PM
There's nothing wrong with looking older, imo.

3,6,7, and 9 suit your skin tone the best...that coming from a professional stylist.
Interesting. Those are all close to my natural hue.

I enjoy upper left and bottom left examples best. Which do you like best?I really like brunette. I think that the bright orange and the light pink are just fun. I think that the brunette and cool reds are most flattering on me. Of all of them I like my natural colors the least. :P Silly me.

Alex Lou
October 14th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I did honey lightening a bunch. And I thought there was a difference, but I can't see the difference in photos, so maybe not :?

I have decided to grow my hair out again, which means no bleaching... It's already at an awkward length, but I like change, so that's okay.

I'm really not liking my natural color. I guess that I don't like light brown/dark blonde. That's my problem with my natural color, and it's a stupid problem. I don't know how to change the way that I think. All the girls in my area either have brown hair, or bleached blonde. Almost no one ventures in the in-between zone. I try to ignore fashion, but I know that I'm subconsciously influenced.

I also don't like the red tint that I've been trying. It reminds me of all the women who dye their hair a similar color. It gives me a bad vibe.

I think that I'm gonna continue honey lightening and buy some manic panic electric lava to try tinting with. And I'll keep contemplating brunette...

oscarthehamster
October 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM
The very top in the middle really suits you! It looks really nice darker ! :)

xoxophelia
October 14th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I think either of the top 3 colors would be OK. The browner ones seem to suit you best to my eye.