PDA

View Full Version : hair goal

Ricky22
March 13th, 2008, 09:13 PM
My hair goal I been thinking about is to grow my hair out to "loose" lengths, I noticed that alot of black people when they grow out their afros after a certain period of time when more and more length is grown on their hair texture starts to become more ummmm looser and less tightly nappy and begins to grow hanging more downward, I wanna get to that stage even though it may take years

Pixel Gypsy
March 13th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I noticed that alot of black people when they grow out their afros after a certain period of time when more and more length is grown on their hair texture starts to become more ummmm looser and less tightly nappy and begins to grow hanging more downward,

I imagine the weight of the length would pull it straighter. I have a friend with hair that's somewhere between BSL and waist length and her curls look like the most perfect spiral ringlets. She says she could never cut her hair because it's so curly that she wouldn't be able to her hands in her hair.

honeybunch
March 13th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I know what you mean. If I reach my hair goal, I'll definitely have some flop.

Ricky22
March 13th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I know what you mean. If I reach my hair goal, I'll definitely have some flop.

you got african textured hair too?

honeybunch
March 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM
^Yes. I know you from another hair forum. :D

Ricky22
March 13th, 2008, 09:30 PM
^Yes. I know you from another hair forum. :D

lol which would that be?

honeybunch
March 13th, 2008, 09:32 PM
lol which would that be?
Nappturality!

Ricky22
March 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Nappturality!

lol yup thats me :p

spidermom
March 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Keep posting pictures! I want to see it happen.

Ricky22
March 13th, 2008, 09:40 PM
yes Ma'am thats no prob

coppercurls
March 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Keep posting pictures! I want to see it happen.

:)Me too!:)

Ricky22
March 13th, 2008, 10:06 PM
lol hopefully the progress comes by pretty soon

Ricky22
March 14th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I'm thinkin about it right now honestly

Beesweet
March 14th, 2008, 04:27 PM
How long is your hair now and what type is it?

I have two daughters who have type 4 hair ( one is about 4C and one is 4 "ZZZ" we call it.
They have worn it long.
My super kinky kid finally relaxed her hair, as she was having scalp problems due to her hair being so tight that it was hard to manage drying it with the length. She refused to wear it in any style other than the ponytail and two strand twists, which once twisted, she wore up in a ponytail. Nothing "afrocentric" as there are very few girls at her school who wear natural hair, and her school is 60 percent AF.Am. She was getting ragged on, sadly.
What I can tell you is that she never got visible length with the styles she chose to wear.
We had it blown and flat ironed for a photo shoot and it was below bra strap length and we never knew it! She just thought her hair never grew. It never really pulled down by weight of the hair. It was hard to plait up even at night. The length caused problems, and we had some breakage.

Her sister, who has a slightly looser curl pattern, does wear her hair twisted, braided, afro-puffs, and her hair has fared much better. She too had it mid-back before cutting it to around shoulder length. She protected it by letting me braid it up at night, and for school.
Her hair, also did show length better.
Now it is amazing, as we are on a hair care "system that is very natural -- got off our "cone addiction" and are into Vatika and Indian stuff. No poo. It's growing like a weed.

So I guess it depends on your curl pattern, and how committed you are to babying it!

Good luck! It's fun to style. I miss doing my older daughter's hair.......

Ricky22
March 14th, 2008, 09:09 PM
my hair is about 3 or 4 inches I believe and its very tightly curled and nappy

vindo
March 14th, 2008, 10:15 PM
My hair goal I been thinking about is to grow my hair out to "loose" lengths, I noticed that alot of black people when they grow out their afros after a certain period of time when more and more length is grown on their hair texture starts to become more ummmm looser and less tightly nappy and begins to grow hanging more downward, I wanna get to that stage even though it may take years

Yes I think so too, I recently saw a woman on the subway with very tightly curled 4 type hair and it was waistlength O_O
Looked amazing and I think she spent quite some time taking care of it. It looked very healthy.

Ricky22
March 14th, 2008, 10:27 PM
lol dangggg waistlength she was probably one of them chicks thats never cut her hair since the day she was born

vindo
March 14th, 2008, 10:32 PM
lol dangggg waistlength she was probably one of them chicks thats never cut her hair since the day she was born

Actually I wouldnt know :confused:..but if thats the case she probably had a smart mother that encouraged her to take good care of it.

What is your goal length?

getoffmyskittle
March 14th, 2008, 10:32 PM

Chicks? Did she hatch from an egg? :silly:

Buddaphlyy
March 14th, 2008, 10:44 PM
This is starting to happen to my hair and right now it's kind of annoying. I have a few random hairs that seem to flop away from the rest of my afro which means I have to comb and then pat my hair into a uniform shape.

Ricky22
March 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Actually I wouldnt know :confused:..but if thats the case she probably had a smart mother that encouraged her to take good care of it.

What is your goal length?

I would have to say this, I'mma go use Ludacris's afro as an example of the goal length

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/KingLazyMan/ludacris.gif

his fro was was a behemoth!

Starr
March 14th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Chicks? Did she hatch from an egg? :silly:

Skitts, that was a horribly cheesy joke! Lucky for you I like cheese.:cheese:

Ricky22
March 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM
lol cheese is good

auntdaisy
March 15th, 2008, 07:56 AM
That fro is a behemoth...but would look good on you. Go for it man!!!! I can't wait to see it!

Ricky22
March 15th, 2008, 08:44 AM
It might take some years but thanks for the support

Beesweet
March 15th, 2008, 10:00 AM
That photo of Ludacris is a great fro. My daughter did this easily. Her hair was somewhat longer than this when we blew it out for the pictures and found that it was mid-back length.

If your hair is 3-4 inches now, start braiding it up when you sleep, or putting cornrows, if you don't already. If it is so short that the cornrows hurt, wait -- don't pull on the roots of the hair. Also, sleep with a cap if you don't. You can get a nice manly cap without lace!! ha ha.

If you don't already, start doing palm roll twists, or two strand twists. They key for length is to protect your hair whenever you can. I'll bet you can keep them in for a week or two or three.
Don't brush when wet. Pick out from tips of hair back toward the head. Don't start at the scalp and rip the comb through. Stay away from petroleum and silicones. Use pure coconut oil instead. Commercial shampoos dried my girls' hair out like nobody's business. Terrible.
We now use Indian stuff, and doc bronners. All very cheap.
As soon as it is a challenge to wash, start sectioning it in four or five plaits for washing, so you can wash and dry by sections.

You can have that in close to a year, I'll bet, if you are already 3-4 inches.

good luck!

Browneyedbelle9
January 31st, 2014, 01:28 AM
I know this is way old, but I wondered if he ever did get to that goal?