PDA

View Full Version : Hemline shape preference: influenced by length?

MinderMutsig
September 16th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I wonder if any of you have different preferences for the shape of the hemline on different lengths?

I prefer a blunt straight across hemline from chin to shoulder. Somewhere between shoulder and APL this changes to a preference for a shallow U shape. On BSL to waist length I love a deep U shape but the at tailbone I prefer a straight hemline.
At classic and beyond I prefer a V shaped hemline but then somewhere around knee this changes to a straight hemline again.

I realize this is sort of ridiculous, especially the deep U followed by a straight across hemline followed by a V. :o Going from a deep U to a V wouldn't be that hard but the straight hemline in between is going to take a lot of patience! But somehow other shapes at these lengths seem 'off' to me.

pink.sara
September 16th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Yup, I totally have hemline preferences at different lengths. But that's personally on me. I like a inverted u above shoulder... Heavily thinned. A blunt between shoulder and BSL. Then a u anywhere below. But then I thin mine out with razoring anywhere below the ears as it's thick. Anything without layering looks really blocky to me!

On others, anything goes, but I do love a waist+ 3b/c curl or more with fairytail ends... So pretty.

AcornMystic
September 16th, 2011, 05:50 PM
With shorter hair I don't really have preferences since I see a lot of people opt for super heavy layering and it looks awesome, but I respond very much to blunt one length at chin, bob basically, because it's parallel (sometimes slightly adjacent depending on the angle of the jaw) with the jaw and symmetry is something I am drawn to.

Any U or V at shoulder just looks like a mullet to me, not sure why, so I'd opt for blunt.

At BSL give or take a few inches and even at waist depending on how far it is away I REALLY like deep V because it makes me think of the shape to a lion's mane. I tend to gawk at those types. :o(CornishMaid's August 09 pic in the flowery outfit is a good example of lion hair, it comes across as a deep V to me even with her crazy curl and volume, sorry if it's not, but still so envious:o)

Past that point I like blunt one length or fairy tale ends. Fairy tale ends give a very mythical appearance. I adore fairy tale ends, but as time goes on I am realizing with my perfectionist/OCD tendencies I can't see myself having fairy tale ends because the inconsistency all throughout would drive me absolutely mad and make maintenance impossible for me without the incredible urge eating away at me to pony my hair lop across it. Perhaps that might change one day. *shrug*

EDIT: As you can see I don't much care for any of the U cuts. They just seem too common and boring I suppose. To me, I mean, a personal opinion. I know, many might think all one length blunt is boring. XD

YepLilly
September 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
This is not an exact answer to your question :p but mine is not influenced much by length as it is by thickness. I used to like a soft U shape (with some layers too). But as my hair started to thin out, I went for a straight hemline (and no layers). It makes my hair look fuller and healthier. In both cases I've been at APL/BSL.

Madora
September 16th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I prefer a blunt cut at any length. Gives the hair the illusion of thickness and health.

allycat
September 16th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I don't have preferences really by length but i do by hairtype. My favorite on straight hair is a blunt hem, and a u- or v- on wavy or curly hair.

swearnsue
September 16th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I like blunt cuts until past the waistline. At that point on I just love the fairy ends!

celebriangel
September 16th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I like a soft U at shorter lengths (APL to waist) and at longer lengths (tailbone +) I prefer a blunt cut. In between, either works.

I have a u-shape at the moment, and BSL hair. I figure I'll achieve the blunt cut when I'm happy with my length.

V shapes...I do not like. Unless it's natural soft fairytailling, at which point it's nice. But an artificial V just looks weird to me, and makes the hair look thinner than it is.

Mesmerise
September 16th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I prefer blunt cut past shoulder, but above shoulder I also prefer the inverted U... which tends to make it blunt past shoulder (if that makes sense)... simply because if it hangs blunt at the back, the front is longer than the back!

I think though, that past waist I prefer a U. I've never BEEN past waist, but when I visualise my hair at hip, I see it as a U because I don't think I'd like it blunt at that length.

Lostsoule77
September 16th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Except as a child I've never had "short" hair. All the pictures I have of myself I have bsl or longer and I've always prefered a u hemline. I never really thought about hemlines on others until I came here. I know that I don't like a v cut unless it's natural. I also don't really like fairytale ends on anything, but curly hair. The longer I'm on here that is changing though.

I guess to answer your question I don't think so. I think it more depends on the hair itself and not the length.

dulce
September 16th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I agree with Madora! I'm growing out layers and cut off over 3 inches last febuary to eliminate my deep v hemline to go to a blunt hemline.If you have super thick hair anything goes but I found at waist or so, if you have thinner hair,a blunt hem makes it look thicker.

spidermom
September 16th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Straight across until between BSL and waist, at which point my hair reminded me of a cape.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/0807newsig.jpg
I've been fond of the U shape ever since.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/summerlength.jpg

(P.S. - I have the blonde color that changes in different light)

Ashenputtel
September 16th, 2011, 10:14 PM
On straight hair I prefer it blunt, it makes it look ticker and fuller. I wish I could clap my fingers and get to a full lenght.

On wavy-curly hair I prefer a soft to a deeper u.

Cassie 123
September 16th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I like the title of this thread. It reads like a newspaper headline.

But no, I don't think length affects my hemline preferences much (though I'm having a hard time imagining a shoulder-length V), except that a woman with an hourglass figure and thick or fluffy hair might benefit from the flattery of showing off her waistline, such as with a U hemline at waist length, a shallow V at hip, or a deeper V at tailbone.

jojo
September 16th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I prefer a blunt cut at any length. Gives the hair the illusion of thickness and health.

same here; i need all the help I can get!

McFearless
September 16th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I think length has everything to do with it. I love all types of hemlines but some of them for me only look good hitting a certain body mark. Like for example v-sheped hemlines. I love them once the shortest bits pass shoulder and all the way until tailbone, while a bob might not look so good. I find blunt hemlines really pleasing to the eye at mid cheek, chin, shoulder, apl, bsl and tailbone. Something about blunt hair at waist doesn't look right to me on my own body. Layers I find look great at every length and the same goes for a u-shaped hemline.

kanaka
September 17th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I do love all types of hemlines but my hair is straight so i prefer blunt hemline mostly and sometimes slight U. At present i got my hair blunt cut :)

Prettyeyes23
September 17th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Add another vote for blunt at all lengths!

alyanna
September 17th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Well, yes it's influenced by length, but it's also influenced by hair type and body type. I like different hemlines on different people.

So far, I'm liking a blunt hemline on my almost APL hair because it makes it look thicker. Mind you, it does look a bit blocky now because it's not long enough and the curls just create a pyramid-like shape sometimes. But still, I'd prefer this to a flimsy-looking mullet at this point.

I think I'll prefer blunt hemlines on myself for a while still, but I really love the look of fairytale and v-shaped hemlines on past-waist to about knee-length. They somehow look sexy to me :p

Quetiepi
September 17th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Like Madora, I like the slight U hemline because it makes the hair look really thick. I don't like layers ever, not even bangs, because they take too long to grow out, and they look awkward too soon after being cut.

NotInPortland
September 17th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I have no idea which I prefer really on me, I usually have fairytale ends so the hemline is uneven because I don't like to go to get it trimmed often, and I quite like fairytale ends anyway so it's all good! I don't even know what way the hairdresser cut my hemline the last time I never really pay much attention to my hemline and it would have probably grown uneven since then. If I just imagine a random person though I think if the hair is straight blunt might suit it best at all lengths, wavy or curly I'd probably be going for a U or a V especially at longer lengths, or fairytale ends on waves and curls I absolutely love.

bluesnowflake
September 17th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I definitely do. Straight from short to BSl, then a slight U at waist and a deeper U at tailbone and back to a shallower U until mid-thigh, and then straight. I know, bizarre preferences, right? My hair is currently at hip at has a shallow U because of some old face-framing layers that I never cut even. I just decided I liked the slight U.

owlathena
September 17th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I like a U shape on shorter hair (bsl and shorter) and a V on longer. I think straight across can look cape-y. I'm at waist right now with a V, and my ends are starting to fairytale. Its been about 6 months since I've trimmed and I do a lot of s&d.

Jing
September 18th, 2011, 03:30 AM
I don't like blunt ends from shoulder and down. It looks... amateurish. I don't know. Also not a fan of fairy tale ends at any length.

Eternal.Fiend
September 18th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Haven't thought about it at different lengths really, but I know that for me, waist length hair with a shallow u shaped hemline looks so princessy :queen:

ArtOfNoot
September 2nd, 2020, 01:43 AM
I like a soft U from bob to BSL. Then a blunt cut from there on v:soapbox: a bit radical, I know lol

Bat
September 2nd, 2020, 01:53 AM
a soft blunt cut if it is made to look like you haven't just gone to the hairdresser is nice, or a slight U, my hair texture has changed since I last had it longish so I have no idea now!

mermaid lullaby
September 2nd, 2020, 02:10 AM
Based on my body shape, I like waist length with a slight U shape.

Carrie's hair
September 2nd, 2020, 08:17 AM
When I had short hair from the chin to the APL, I cut straight. Later, for a long time, I liked the very delicate U, regardless of the length. Since I'm more interested in hair care, I only cut straight. I have fine hair and a straight cut makes it less damaged. I don't like the V cut. Interestingly, a lot of the hair that inspires me is cut in V :eye:.

Kathie
September 6th, 2020, 04:58 AM
Above APL Im a fan of blunt but long layers. APL - BSL I like a U-shape. From B
SL onwards I like a V-shape. I have a lot of hair. So I feel it needs shape as it gets longer otherwise it looks block-ish.

sipnsun
September 6th, 2020, 05:13 AM
For me personally, it's not influenced by length so much as thickness and texture. I prefer a blunt cut on straighter/thinner hair and a u or v shape on curly/thicker hair.