PDA

View Full Version : Bun Issues

see_turtle
September 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Recently I took a month long break from my every day cinnamon bun and began wearing my hair in a version of the log roll which looks nothing like it ( I twist the length of my hair unto itself then secure it to my head with a ficcare it ends up less smooth than a log roll with a "bump" at the bottom). Now today I tried to go back to the cinnamon bun and it wouldn't work! I ended up just twisting it like my "log roll" and pinning it in frustration .
The pins I'm using are long and metal sort of like an over sized straight bobby pin they work okay but I cant seem to get a cinnamon bun flat like i see you all doing .I got them at Sally's. I keep trying buns I see on here (nautilus, spidermom's, lazy wrap, orchid...) but none of them work!
My hair fork STILL does not hold my buns securely (I got it a year ago) I think my hair is just too short for everything I want to do with it :confused:
But I LOVE my ficcares and I just ordered a set of hair sticks off amazon so maybe those will be easier. I just want some variety to my updos.
I'm at a loss.
Any advice beyond just waiting for it to grow another 6 inches?

Anje
September 16th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Well, when my hair was about your length or so, cinnamon buns stopped working so well for me. Or at least, they had to get less swirly or else be pinned every few inches.

I think you should be able to secure a bun with a hairstick or fork by your length with ii thickness. There are tricks to it, though. Most often you have to get the hair wrapped in such a way that the fork simply prevents it all from collapsing.

Try doing a lazy wrap bun, but twist the length a bit while you do it so that the coils don't blend together so much. Then make sure you fasten it with the fork or stick so that (when someone looks at your head) the fork goes over the top of the outer loop and under the middle section, than over the top again. Play with the tightness a bit.

Yozhik
September 16th, 2011, 03:07 PM
A lot of the time, cinnabuns are still my go-to style. :shrug:
They have been since about APL or a bit longer, although they now protrude a lot further and look more bee-buttish and generally more hefty. :)

What I've heard from other people who have thick hair is that it might help if you section the cinnamon bun into more strands, then twist one strand, pin, then the second strand around the first and pin. This way you get a flatter, more secure bun.

HTH! :flower:

excentricat
September 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I have also found that my ability to cinnabun goes in and out as my hair grows. I have a hard time altering the way I try to coil and pin (can be done, but requires more time and thought) depending on where in the coil the ends are, it is easier or harder to secure it. Maybe you are at an awkward length right now.

Chromis
September 16th, 2011, 03:29 PM
At that length figure eight buns worked well, but cinnamon buns fell apart. It seemed to flip flop every few inches which worked better for me.

There was another bun that worked very, very well at that length that I am sure is in the articles, but I cannot recall the name. Basically, you make a cinnabun bun, but then take the innermost coil and gently work it a bit bigger so you can stretch it over the other coils, then use a stick or fork much like a hair slide to secure.

Magicknthenight
September 16th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Recently I took a month long break from my every day cinnamon bun and began wearing my hair in a version of the log roll which looks nothing like it ( I twist the length of my hair unto itself then secure it to my head with a ficcare it ends up less smooth than a log roll with a "bump" at the bottom). Now today I tried to go back to the cinnamon bun and it wouldn't work! I ended up just twisting it like my "log roll" and pinning it in frustration .
The pins I'm using are long and metal sort of like an over sized straight bobby pin they work okay but I cant seem to get a cinnamon bun flat like i see you all doing .I got them at Sally's. I keep trying buns I see on here (nautilus, spidermom's, lazy wrap, orchid...) but none of them work!
My hair fork STILL does not hold my buns securely (I got it a year ago) I think my hair is just too short for everything I want to do with it :confused:
But I LOVE my ficcares and I just ordered a set of hair sticks off amazon so maybe those will be easier. I just want some variety to my updos.
I'm at a loss.
Any advice beyond just waiting for it to grow another 6 inches?

Every time I try to do a cinnamon bun I end up with a bee-butt bun instead. I was already BSL-Waist when I started. I use sticks and forks mostly. I recently bought something from Walmart called "Goody spin pin". I had heard about them on a long thread someone else posted. They were $5.88 for 2 pins--kind of expensive. Turns out their very worth it. Maybe try some of these out? I have a hard time learning new buns and these worked the first time I used them. I have 2 for my practically classic length hair. I think I'm going to get 2 more just to make it stable. It works best with cinnamon/bee-butt type of buns. Maybe you could try it out? A lot of people have had success with them :D You can always add a hair stick later or a flower pin or something to make it pretty. They aren't visible in my hair. I FINALLY have a way to sleep with my hair besides sleeping uncomfortably with a hair fork/hair stick. Good luck!

see_turtle
September 16th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I have spin pins... well I have one left. The other one got caught in my hair and mangled and bent to the point of not being usable...I found then cool in theory but very hard to get out of my hair which panics me.
I end up with a bee butt as well....I think I'll have to learn to like the look of it.