PDA

View Full Version : aspiring seroius length

Avital88
September 16th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hi all, i was wondering how many members on here are aspiring to grow to knee length?
I was thinking about it for quite a while but now actually serious about it.
Although it will be a long journey i would really wanna go for it, is it getting harder to grow hair beyond a certain lenght?
Who else is going for super long?:D

Sakuracha
September 16th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I'm considering it. First, I want to get to tailbone and then I'll decide from there if I'll do it for sure or not.

Shelly
September 16th, 2011, 08:08 AM
My goal length is dragging behind me if my genes will let my hair get that long. I will never cut my hair again aside of trimming.

Rusticular
September 16th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I'll chuck my hand up for this one; I'm one that never really aspires to any particular length and just loves the feeling of constantly longer-growing hair. I'm pretty sure I'll get there at some point!

gthlvrmx
September 16th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Here! :)
My dream is drag length if my genes let me too. I prefer knee as a minimum, but again, the genetics. Im sure i can make it though to calf though. Why not let nature do it's thing and take my hair as long as it can?
Well...minus my own trimming :p

Avital88
September 16th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I'll chuck my hand up for this one; I'm one that never really aspires to any particular length and just loves the feeling of constantly longer-growing hair. I'm pretty sure I'll get there at some point!

oh yea the feeling of it getting longer:-)) get so used to new lenght that its never long enough ahah

pepperminttea
September 16th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Sort of. Not quite knee, but I'm thinking that mid-thigh/fingertip would be perfect. It'd give me a classic length braid, or thereabouts. That's a length I'd really love to try long-term. Past that, I don't know yet, but who knows. :D

spidermom
September 16th, 2011, 08:46 AM
My granddaughter (age 9) is challenging me to do this with her. I think I'm up for it.

Madora
September 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I've always loved knee length hair but doubt my hair will grow to that length (although that length might be in my genes. My father had 2 aunts with braids past their knees)..but given my age, and how my hair growing seems to be slower, I'll be very surprised to see 50 inches.

Still, to everyone who is aspiring for knee, good luck and happy growing!

ssjhotau2
September 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I'm not sure yet... I want to maintain at TBL until my ends thicken up considerably and I learn more braids and updos, so probably I'll stay at TBL for one year. I definitely don't want TBL to be my final length- but I'm not really sure what my goal will be afterwards... I'll probably just grow until I'm no longer happy with my hair or I feel overwhelmed. :shrug:

Savvyhorsez
September 16th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I know I'm already there, (And planning to grow further.) but I'd just like to wish everyone the best of luck growing to your goals!

Noreth
September 16th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Savvyhorsez, your hair is amazing! From what I can see in your avatar pic :).
I'd love to have hair dragging the floor, but I'll be happy if my genes allow me past waist :p.

Anje
September 16th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I'm considering fingertip or knee length. I don't know whether I have the genes to grow much farther than my current length, though. We'll see.

julierockhead
September 16th, 2011, 10:05 AM
My current goal is 50", which would give me classic, but my long-term goal is knees and beyond.

swetiepeti
September 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Not me. It irritates me just to sit on my hair (no longer that long, only brushing high hip now). I think knee length looks great on others, however I know I don't have the patience for it.

Loreley
September 16th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I always dreamed about thigh length hair and I have it now. I'm still growing though, because my final goal is 50" and I'm at 48" (mid thigh length). 50 is about 2" above knee length on me and that will be the perfect length for my taste. I like how knee, calf, ankle or floor length hair looks on others but not on myself. I had a dream the day before yesterday, I was trying on a gorgeous evening gown and I let my hair down because I thought I would look better that way. Then I looked into the mirror and saw my hair was past knee length and I was pondering on how my hair grew that long and I wanted to cut it back to thigh length. :p

linnepinne
September 16th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I am! I think. I have never had hair past BSL, but I'm in this hair growing commitment for real. When I say I want long hair, I want super impressive jaw-droppingly (is that a word?) loooooong hair. I dream about peolple gasping in awe when I (very rarely) let my hair down :D

teal
September 16th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I'm considering it. First, I want to get to tailbone and then I'll decide from there if I'll do it for sure or not.

This, exactly.

BlazingHeart
September 16th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I'm considering it. I'm curious as to just how long my hair is capable of growing, you know? The longest I've done is hip, and I still had very thick ends then, so I would assume that I can probably get a good deal longer than that.

I guess we'll have to see as to whether I actually LIKE it that long, though!

~Blaze

Night_Kitten
September 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I'm on my journey to knee, and hopefully beyond if my genes let me :)

Sunshineliz
September 16th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I want to stop before I can sit on it at the longest. Although longer is beautiful, I don't want the bother.

DD10 though went from thinking about chopping off her tailbone-length hair so she could be more like her friends (and me, who had also chopped) to deciding she wants it as long as possible since I joined LHC!:D I said it's fine, but she'll still have to put up with trims, S&D, and putting her hair up more if that is what she wants. She said ok, so we'll see. (And DD5 dreams of being Rapunzel, so we'll see how THAT goes.):)

MasCat
September 16th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Well, since I was very little it was my dream to have knee-length hair.

I even incorporated it in my evening prayer-affirmation :)

I thought it woulnd't work though, and thought my terminal is around waist. Now with LHC I'm just gonna let it grow. If it reaches knee - great. If it grows longer? Even better :D

Wavelength
September 16th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Well, I seem to have trouble making it much past tailbone. Which is sort of annoying. I've trimmed off all the damage back to waist (!) and I'm having to remember how to put my hair up again at that shorter length.

I'm hoping my genetics aren't responsible for my growth stopping at tailbone, and that it was just damage. If tailbone is my terminal length, then I will be seriously put out.

neko_kawaii
September 16th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I was just thinking fingertip length would be nice. . . but if it gets that far I'll probably let it keep growing until it finds terminal.

Chromis
September 16th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I'm a bit past there already and curious to see just how long I can grow it.

I used to think I would not want hair so long that I could sit on it and that it would be too much work, but really it has only gotten easier to take care of as it has grown! I wear it up mostly and can do lots of different things now which makes it fun to play with. If I have it down, at this length it is easy to quickly get it out of the way just by looping it around my neck like a scarf. If I set it next to me while seating, it stays put nicely (Stay! Good hair! *pet, pet*)

I might reconsider terminal if mine turns out to be past floor length, but we shall see when I get there. I might also hang out at ankle for a while to thicken the ends up some more. So far I grow a little past each "milestone" marker and then cut back to it a couple of inches and that has worked quite well. I do have some taper, but only enough to make updos easy. Super blunt ends look nice to me, but I found them harder to tuck in neatly.

MasCat
September 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Oh, am I the only one that thinks, when looking at the topic of this thread, "I wonder what is the giggly hair length"? :D

longhairedlady
September 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I want my hair as long as it will go! I havent decided if I will maintain at floor or go longer. I think long hair is so beautiful and unique. I always have a haircrush on anyone with hair longer than mine! :crush:

neko_kawaii
September 16th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I do have some taper, but only enough to make updos easy. Super blunt ends look nice to me, but I found them harder to tuck in neatly.

I recently trimmed a couple inches of damage off the ends and noticed this too, belatedly. It was two inches at most, how did it make my hem that blunt? Grrr.

Noreth
September 16th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Oh, am I the only one that thinks, when looking at the topic of this thread, "I wonder what is the giggly hair length"? :D
:lol: I didn't, but I was distracted by the word "aspiring"...I'm kind of a word nerd :p

Shelly
September 16th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I've always wondered what length starts turning heads when worn down in public. :lol: I know I haven't quite reached it yet. :(

Chromis
September 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I recently trimmed a couple inches of damage off the ends and noticed this too, belatedly. It was two inches at most, how did it make my hem that blunt? Grrr.

Frustrating, eh?!

I've always wondered what length starts turning heads when worn down in public. :lol: I know I haven't quite reached it yet. :(

Classic got a lot of comments and mid thigh got even more. At knee pretty much any time I take my hair down is enough to make people boggle that are not used to seeing it.

skyblue
September 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I've dreamed of thigh length hair for as long as I can remember, not sure if I can get there but I'm gonna try really hard! I think thats 50 inches on me....11 more to go!! ;)

heartgoesboom
September 16th, 2011, 02:24 PM
My granddaughter (age 9) is challenging me to do this with her. I think I'm up for it.

i doubt i'll keep growing it that long. i'm short, it may look funny on me. but seriously long hair on little kids look so good though.

Shelly
September 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Classic got a lot of comments and mid thigh got even more. At knee pretty much any time I take my hair down is enough to make people boggle that are not used to seeing it.

So I'm not far from it. I don't think anyone here has ever really seen hair any longer than mine. :lol:

Modarunner
September 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I would love to have hair that is long enough so when I put it in two braids it reaches at least my hip bones. So I'm guessing that probably is mid-thigh length when loose. I have a long way to go to get there.

teal
September 16th, 2011, 03:44 PM

I think this is largely location-dependent. Here you wouldn't start getting hair-length specific looks until your hair was past your butt. While not exactly common, hair past hip is not out of the ordinary here. We also see long hair on guys reasonably often.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if it's a cultural thing. Vancouver is a pretty good example of a cultural melting pot and a lot of the recent long-hair sightings I've had have been on people who have straight or mostly-straight black hair (Native, Indian, Asian, etc.) and a little older, ie. not a teen.

Alaia
September 16th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Knee is my goal!

I have no idea if I have the genes for it, though, so it will be interesting. Still my hair was going strong at TB before I cut it so fingers crossed. I'll probably be happy with anything between Classic and Knee, to be honest.

I have not calculated how many years it will take me to get there, I have to say. I don't want to know. I just want to enjoy it as it grows. :D

Friesiangirl
September 16th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I am planning for knee at least, and possibly beyond. Somedays I do worry that it won't even reach classic because it sheds quite a bit during my shedding seasons (Late Summer, Late Winter), but I grow almost .75 inches per month. So I definitely think it evens out.

To knee and beyond I say.

Hayley

Liss
September 16th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I would love to grow my hair to my knees, but I doubt I have the genes to even get my fine hair to tailbone. (my mother can't grow her's past shoulder - ultra super fine)

Lostsoule77
September 16th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I actually just started thinking about it last night! The longest my hair has ever been is TBL and I've always trimmed it once I got there. I just didn't know enough updos to keep it interesting. Since finding LHC my goal is now classic length. Somewhere on here last night I read in a thread that longer than that is only possible if you have the genetics for it and that made me wonder if I do. For now I think I'm gonna grow to classic and maintain until my braid taper is less. Then I just might keep going. :)

AcornMystic
September 16th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Well my ultimate goal is knee. However, I am growing past that to discover my terminal length. When I first signed up I put that I was growing to knee, which is 53 inches, but that did not express my desire to go beyond so I put "term." I've mentioned this several times on the boards, so sorry if people are getting sick of it, haha:p, but I have a cousin who has knee length hair and I am curious if I can go beyond that. I won't grow my hair though past floor length because I want to be able wear it down in public and I don't want it picking up gas leakage, gum, spit, and any other nasties while wearing down on my ends. If hair is loved it shouldn't be dragged behind you like your dragging it along while atop a horse (that's a form of execution) and should still be given a little freedom (worn down sometimes). Once I either reach terminal or ankle (where it's going to start dragging on the floor) I'm going to cut back to knee and keep my hair there. Knee is the ideal length for me.:D

wooliswonderful
September 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM
My goal is ankle. I was between thigh & knee 10 years ago, I'm sure I'll at least make it to knee. :)

Quixii
September 16th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I've always had a little-girl fantasy of having knee length hair. In reality, I'm not sure how much I want that, but I figure I'll keep growing it until I really can't stand it. :)

pink.sara
September 16th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I think yours would look beautiful at knee Avital.

I did have knee before but it was dreaded so it was soo heavy from retaining all the shed hair I just had to cut it!
I grew to 42 inches which is about TBL-classic on me without really thinking about it or being nice to it in my 20's so I'm hoping knee is still possible now...
My main goal is waist by 2013, but if it is still as thick as if is now I will probably keep going. Part of me wants to see what terminal is as my family (Mum, Dad, Brother) all maxed out at waist. But my native American gran (who my dark auburn straight hair comes from) had floor+ at 5 feet 2 inches. I'm 5, 9".
In a few years we will start to see! I hope you are still around and growing :)

celebriangel
September 16th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I would really love knee length hair...really jawdropping hair, you know? But I'd keep it wrapped up all the time, like my little secret :)

I have no idea if I have the genes to grow to knee, though. I'd be happy with fingertip, I think. Longer...well, we'll see. I think I wouldn't go longer than ankle, though - I wouldn't want to tread on it. But ankle would be just amazing.

adiapalic
September 16th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I've considered it, but I'll probably be trimming for a while at my current length. I've hit a major shed this year, and I'm worried it's going to thin my hair out dramatically. We'll see.

Mesmerise
September 16th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Honestly, I'm just hoping my hair reaches a nice hip without hitting terminal!! And by "nice" I mean... a reasonable hemline without stringy ends... I am scared I won't even get there :(.

Sooo... I really really don't want to think of longer lengths until I know I can get to hip! Otherwise I'll just be disappointed if I can't grow long hair!! (Hope that makes sense :D).

Audhumla
September 16th, 2011, 11:02 PM
When I first started trying to help my hair grow long the length I had in mind was waist length but these pictures have made me seriously consider going for knee length if my hair will let me
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6297/longhair01.jpg http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/5461/tumblrlf7jalrknc1qctom9.png

Savvyhorsez
September 17th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Savvyhorsez, your hair is amazing! From what I can see in your avatar pic :).
I'd love to have hair dragging the floor, but I'll be happy if my genes allow me past waist :p.

Thank you so much Noreth! Happy Growing!

kmoc123
September 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM
YES... I want knee length. I am at mid-hiney now so I have a ways to go...

tinti
September 17th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Sort of? Maybe? First I wanna get layer free, and then I wanna get to classic I think, and then we'll see:)

QueenJoey
September 17th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Here! :)
My dream is drag length if my genes let me too. I prefer knee as a minimum, but again, the genetics. Im sure i can make it though to calf though. Why not let nature do it's thing and take my hair as long as it can?
Well...minus my own trimming :p

this, word for word. Me and you share one mind gthlvrmx, haha.

Charybdis
September 17th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I too am thinking about knee-length. I have done waist-length before with no taper to speak of and virtually no split ends (no coloring and no heat styling), so I'm pretty sure I have the genes. What I don't know is whether, with age, I've developed the patience! I tend to get bored and chop or color after awhile. However, as I'm getting older I have less and less interest in trying "fashionable" hair styles -- generally because I've tried them before and know what a pain in the butt they are to maintain -- and also less and less interest in coloring my hair, because I like the silver hairs that are coming in and want to keep them bright and sparkly. So maybe this time I can practice a little benign neglect and let my hair do its thang. Time will tell!

Syrena
September 17th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Impressing pictures, Audhumla!
Beginning next year I should reach classic. Then I want to trim every month my monthly hair growth, so I can get thicker ends. After I will continue to grow my hair, but I am not sure yet, what length I will be comfortable and happy with...

JamieLeigh
September 20th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I'm almost there, within 2 inches now, and I'm not cutting again until December...so I think it's safe to say that I will hit knee length this year. ;) I may trim back and hold at knee once I get past it, to let my ends thicken up before I grow to terminal...because that's my next goal.

The question of what is head-turning length? Around here, pretty much anything past classic is jaw-dropping. We do have a lot of Apostolic ladies in this area, but they almost always wear their hair up, so the general public is not getting regularly exposed to longer hair. :)

nellreno
September 20th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I've always wanted to see what my terminal length is, just out of curiosity. I don't know if I'm going to get to a certain length and decide that any longer than that would just be too annoying, but for the time being I'm hoping to get to knee length :D

Of the Fae
September 20th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I really don't know what my terminal length is, because nobody in my family has had it longer than BSL due to cutting it off.
My aunt is a hairdresser, too, so she wears it short and perfectly upkept :)
Still I wonder what length I could reach, since I have no clue..
I want to have at least waist length, and then hip and maybe classic *daydreams* wow... I'm only just past collarbone :(
Does anyone know anybody that did not manage longer than APL? That's the longest I ever got due to bad haircare in the past, so I'm a little scared of not getting past that :P

Of the Fae
September 20th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Those pictures posted earlier really made me drool btw :P

Audhumla
September 20th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Ok it's official, coming back to this thread and seeing those pictures I posted from my hair envy collection again has pushed me over the edge. I'm now going for knee length as my ultimate goal. I got a loooooong way to go :p Good luck everyone!

Becky9679
September 20th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I want to find my terminal length so I guess I fit here! The longest I've been in the past is somewhere around tailbone and I'm currently in in 'can I call this BSL?' territory so I've got quite a way to go.

I plan to never cut again barring micro trims and S&D. A while back I was thinking about doing a big trim to get rid of layers but they don't irritate me so much now as even the shortest layers are long enough to go into updos. Also I seem to grow in a natural V anyway so a blunt cut would probably disappear fairly quick if I wasn't trimming regularly.

Lapin
September 20th, 2011, 07:12 AM
TBL seems like perfection to me. I adore seeing hair even longer on other people, but once I can sit on it I know I'll start being annoyed by it.

Who knows though, I'm barely at shoulder length right now! And, from ruthless stalking of this board, once you start growing, you just keep going :o

ArienEllariel
September 20th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I'm growing to knee. I'm a tad past BSL at the moment.. really hoping I can make it there!! If not I'd settle for classic/midthigh. :) Oddly enough, my BSL hair doesn't really feel long to me. This is the longest my hair has ever been and it feels rather short. lol

jojo
September 20th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Id love to grow to knee but doubt if my genes would allow. My hair gets very thin on the ends the longer it gets but I will try my hardest just to see. Though id be over the moon to one day reach classic length.

Quetiepi
September 20th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I've never been past waist, so we'll see how long it gets. My main goal is to have all virgin hair to at least waist. I get an inch trimmed once a year and so by the time I'm like 70 I should be there. That sounds really old, doesn't it. Yikes! Still, it's good to have a goal, even if you never get there.

Jeno86
September 20th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I'm hoping my hair will get this long. Knee length hair is my minimum goal, how much longer beyond that; I have no idea.

MrsGuther
September 20th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I am growing my hair long for religious and personal reasons. I can only HOPE my hair will grow that long! I've had good progress so far. I am planning on growing to terminal length so we shall see just how long this blonde-afro will grow! :)

FrozenBritannia
September 20th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Can I just say WOW? You are all so inspiring! And what gorgeous hair:cheer:
I don't know if my hair will ever get so long as all of yours, but I am gobsmacked by the pictures and the amazingness of your hair!

Shelly
September 20th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Can I just say WOW? You are all so inspiring! And what gorgeous hair:cheer:
I don't know if my hair will ever get so long as all of yours, but I am gobsmacked by the pictures and the amazingness of your hair!

You can grow your hair as long as it will grow. :)

I agree, all the ladies have gorgeous hair.

Airmide
September 20th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I'm already below knee but my hair grows *super* slow. My goal is ankle at least, and possibly beyond that if I don't hit terminal before then. Thanks to LHC I got out of a 10 year stall at mid-thigh, and I'm progressing slowly but surely in the right direction, so I'm hopeful I may someday accomplish at least ankle.

FrozenBritannia
September 20th, 2011, 07:22 PM
You can grow your hair as long as it will grow. :)

I agree, all the ladies have gorgeous hair.

I intend to, but genetics will decide! My aunts have both achieved tailbone in their lives, so I'm aiming for that! Again, amazing pictures though, so inspiring!!

Xan
October 1st, 2011, 08:00 AM
Yes I would love knee length, and think longer would be great too imagine ankle wow.

Zesty
October 1st, 2011, 08:37 AM
Sometimes I toy with this idea. I set tailbone as my goal because it's not too far off (by the time I get back from study abroad I'll probably be at hip at least) and it's something to look forward to that I know I can achieve, but I don't really anticipate doing regular trims to keep it from growing longer than that, since I'm lazy and I don't like trims anyway. So if my current attitude persists and my genes are decent, I might get to extreme lengths, and I'm sure that would be fun. I definitely love looking at LHC pictures of super long hair.

WaitingSoLong
October 1st, 2011, 09:07 AM
TBL was my original goal and once I got there I decided to keep going. I wanted a TBL braid and I have that now, too. Now I have officially named knee as my goal but have no plans to get there quickly as I know I have some damage I need to trim out.

I will not grow to knee if it requires FTE's. I am already starting to get some FTE's and I dislike them on myself. I prefer a blunt hemline.

Really, I am happy with my current length and keep growing out of curiosity.

KwaveT
October 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
Even though I am putting waist length in my profile, I have never been one to aim small. I know the wave is going to rob me of some length. I can grow hair fairly fast so it will be interesting to see what my hair will actually grow to. I am doing some things to help it grow faster so I may be able to get more length than I naturally would.

Rhodugune
October 1st, 2011, 10:23 AM
My current goal is classic, but I have to confess that I dream about knee long hair. :eyebrows:
I have 5.5 inches to go to classic, it will take me about a year and a extra half a year, if it needs much trimming.

To the knee I have about 13 inches to go, lucky thirteen maybe?! :cheese:

It will take me about 3 years to get to kneelength, if my hair continue to grow as it has done the this last year.

I don't have any idea how long my hair is able to grow, no one in my family has or had very long hair.

So I hope it can grow longer that classic and still look nice and healthy, but if it don't, I will definitely cut it so a length where it looks good.

ssjhotau2
October 1st, 2011, 10:28 AM
After I thicken up my ends a bit at TBL I definitely want to grow as long as my hair will grow- which I hope will be atleast knee length

mallorykay13
October 1st, 2011, 11:55 AM
I want knee length hair but I'm scared that my term will be shorter.. So I never really let it seep into my mind.

owlathena
October 1st, 2011, 12:36 PM
My goal is to get to classic(42in, I'm at 31 now) and then maintain for a year or so to get rid of some damage. After that, who knows? But thats too far away for me to even think about it.

gthlvrmx
October 1st, 2011, 12:51 PM
this, word for word. Me and you share one mind gthlvrmx, haha.
great minds think alike :p jaja. It'd be funny if our hair grew to our goals around the same time :D