PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions please

Chrissy
July 1st, 2008, 04:25 AM
Hi everyone. I've hestitated to post because it seems silly but oh well. As some of you know I've been on these boards for years. I got my hair to 29". It was long for quite a long time. Then I got tired of it and cut it pretty short. I wondered if I should still stay here and everyone said of course!! (It would have been hard to leave since I've been here for so long and made many friends.) Anyway so I've stayed and I'm very happy I have.

At one point I said I was going to grow again. I even posted about it. Then I changed my mind and kept it short. Well whenever I read about meets and see everyone's beautiful long hair my heart says I want mine back. I'm embarrassed to say this as I've been going back and forth in my mind on this for awhile. One of my thoughts is am I too old to be starting over? I've been on these boards long enough to know there are plenty of members my age. But I'm starting over!! I keep thinking geeze I'm going to be so old by the time it gets to where it once was.

So opions please! Am I too old to start over? I want my long hair back. I have enjoyed wearing it short. Luckily I have a great stylist that I've had for years. She has been with me through long and short. She is awesome. Still I miss my hair!!

Opinons....encouragement???? I am mortified that here I am changing my mind AGAIN!!!! So anyway I am going to grow it back. Hopefully I won't be ancient by the time it's long again. If you've made it this far in my post congratulations!!!

I hope each and every one of you has a great day....hair and otherwise. Thanks for indulging me!!!

EllisGurl
July 1st, 2008, 04:41 AM
You're never too old to start over IMHO!!!! And don't think another thing about changing you're mind. Everyone's allowed; tastes change with time, desires, needs.... As you say, you've done the short thing, it's time for a change.

frizzinator
July 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM
Of course you know that the worst thing ahead of you is the growing-out phase, that will require a lot of patience for a few years.

I'm about the same age as you, but I've only been here at LHC for a year. I have a lot of broken hairs. In fact I only have about 3 inches of unbroken hair near my scalp. Those 3 smooth inches are the result of practicing the hair care I've learned here on LHC.

My hair is waist length and it seems easy to style, so I intend to do micro-trims over the next 4 or 5 years to get rid of these broken hairs that stick out. Then I might let it grow to terminal length.

It seems to me that unless you have a health problem, such as arthritis, that you will be able to maintain long hair until at least 70 years old. I want long hair forever, if possible.

My mother's long-haired friend, who has worn a french twist everyday for at least 50 years, said that putting her hair up everyday was a difficult and tiresome chore. Her family encouraged her to start exercising her arm muscles instead of agreeing that she should cut her long hair. The exercise helped her arm pain, and she kept her long hair.

DecafJane
July 1st, 2008, 05:51 AM
No, you are definitely not too old! The people close to me who are older than you would look great if they grew their ultra-short hair out, and I wish they would give it a go. :)

Some people your age have babies - isn't that more scary than growing your hair? ;)

FrannyG
July 1st, 2008, 06:07 AM
Too old to start over? :confused: Did I read that correctly? :bigeyes: Never! And I really mean never. I can't even begin to think that way. :shudder:

I look forward to you growing your hair out, if that's your heart's desire. :flowers:

lora410
July 1st, 2008, 06:11 AM
NO WAY!!!! I may be only 27, but I must have started over a good 10 or more times and never even got to my goal of hip. This time I am determined to have hip length before I am 30 :D so grow and do what makes you happy. who cares what your age will be when you reach your hair goal as long as you enjoy it :flower:

Fencai
July 1st, 2008, 06:17 AM
No Way!!! You're never too old! Go for it!!!!! This is the place to be, and to grow- both in lengths and in strength (of both friends and hair!)
you're safe here!!!
I say go for it!

justgreen
July 1st, 2008, 06:28 AM
Never too old to start over. I started over at age 49 at 27" and with a bad cut and two hair dustings I'm almost at tailbone. Go for it!

Radulfr
July 1st, 2008, 07:16 AM
Stop thinking about it and just DO IT!
Better to do it than to wish you had!
I'm sure it will get long before you know it. :thumbsup:

vidgrl007
July 1st, 2008, 07:21 AM
Hun,you are never to old.:)

Islandgrrl
July 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM
You're not too old. If you're too old, then I'm too old, and I know I'm not too old! Look at it this way, if you start now, in a couple of years you'll have long hair and you'll be a couple of years older. If you wait, you'll just be a couple of years older! Go for it!

Tresses
July 1st, 2008, 07:34 AM
Are you still breathing? Then you're not too old! :)

Chrissy, the time is going to pass whether or not you let your hair grow. You're going to be 58 eventually, Lord willing. Will it be with waist length or short hair? (Assuming your hair is very short now, average growth, and periodic trims if you want to keep things even.)

Go for it! :D

ETA: BAH! Islandgrrl posted almost the exact same thing while I was talking with my kids. :lol:

sipnsun
July 1st, 2008, 07:35 AM
My mom and I started growing out our hair together last August, she's 57. She struggled with some of the same issues you are having but let me tell you, she gets more compliments now than she has ever gotten. I also notice men staring at her! She looks younger with her longer hair than she did with short hair at 45. If it's what you want, don't give up!

girlcat36
July 1st, 2008, 07:43 AM
Keep going!!
I will be watching your progress and looking to you for inspiration!

EvaSimone
July 1st, 2008, 07:50 AM
Everyone else has pretty much said what I've wanted to say but I just wanted to chime in with a kind word!

The only thing that limits you is yourself, not an arbitrary number.

Don't feel silly growing it out if that is what you truly want, being an LHC member is more about haircare than having a certain length of hair in my opinion.

So if you want long hair then go for it!:cheer::cheer:

tomm
July 1st, 2008, 08:12 AM
I was a year older than you are now when I started growing my hair out - for the first time. I have enjoyed the past two years immensely and have absolutely no regrets about my decision.

Go for it! We will be here to cheer you on and encourage you.

Kirin
July 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM
My hair was pixie short, and I was told by well meaning friends and family maybe I was too old to let my hair grow. Bullocks I say!

I had the same issues as you, am I too old for this? Then I realized I will never know until I try. I am aiming for a "manageable" length of waist.......... though, once I get there I will make other decisions. Work on smaller goals first and it won't seem daunting.

Almost a year ago my hair was very short, maybe an inch long when i started counting at the nape of my neck I am quickly approaching APL, and I'm very happy.

spidermom
July 1st, 2008, 08:26 AM
Grow for it!

paper
July 1st, 2008, 08:32 AM
Thats what I love about this place :heartbeat

I started growing my hair last yr. @ 45.

Good Luck!

Caldonia Sun
July 1st, 2008, 09:03 AM
Your hair itself answers your question - it continues to grow, so let it. There is no such thing as "too old".

Chrissy
July 1st, 2008, 09:05 AM
Gosh you guys!! I feel so loved and encouraged. Thank you all so much!! I will have to get my son to help me with pics as I know nothing about posting them. He's the one that helped me last time. My pics are still on photo bucket I just have to have him put them back up here. I feel so encouraged. That's why I love this place. I will keep you updated! Like someone said I will make short goals so as not to get discouraged. (Sorry Dianyla....but) I see Dianyla's hair and it's so long and beautiful. I doubt mine will ever be that long and she has obviously not cut in a long time so it's my own fault!!! So I will say that my first goal will be to be able to do a pony stub. I really appreciate each and every one of you who responded. I'm ready to grow now!!!!!!!

susiemw
July 1st, 2008, 09:07 AM
Then I changed my mind and kept it short. Well whenever I read about meets and see everyone's beautiful long hair my heart says I want mine back. I'm embarrassed to say this as I've been going back and forth in my mind on this for awhile.

Oh my, The human condition... we all want different things and sometimes all at the same time! I understand that all too perfectly. :)

It's normal to want your long hair back while still loving your short hair. The bottom line is you want healthy hair so no matter what you decide you should definitely be here and be a part of the boards.

As far as being too old to start over... I don't buy it.
There are people who buy into the thinking that all women
over a certain age should have short hair. I'm not one of
them. If people have a problem with my being over that
certain age (by a long shot) and having long hair, that is their problem, not mine! They don't have to live with it so they
don't get a say in it.

If you want your long hair back I'd say go for it. :cheese:

I like long hair and I like it on people of all ages. Not just the young.

go for it
go for it
go for it

what is the worst that can happen? if you decide you don't like it, you can always cut your hair again.

Susan

katiana
July 1st, 2008, 09:20 AM
I think you are never too old for anything! I am trying to get my mother to grow out her hair again..she is 57, she had gorgeous long hair when I was growing up, she cut it,then went through chemo and never again grew it out long after that..always had it at pixie, I am trying to encourage her with how much easier it is and how lovely it looks on her..she thinks she too old, but I say "no way" and have showed her examples of how many older women look younger with longer hair..I have even showed her how to do a figure 8 ( I just learned myself ) and made a smaller one on her hair ( I have encouraged her so far to grow her hair past shoulder length, and she has! ),it looked so good, she was surprised.. It is ultimately your decision, but I think one is never too old for anything if you have the desire for something;)

wintersun99
July 1st, 2008, 09:23 AM

harpgal
July 1st, 2008, 01:12 PM
Chrissy, first of all you must remember that Dianyla has a much coarser texture than you (or I) do. You just can not compare a person's hair who is so different from that of your own. I have seen her hair in real life and it is spectacular, to say the least. But you have your own uniqueness and beauty.

Also, please remember that growing our hair longer is all about the journey and not necessarily about "getting there". Most of the fun is watching the changes taking place and wondering what is next. It is also about sharing that excitement with others. Just like so many have said, "just do it"!

julya
July 1st, 2008, 06:21 PM
You can never be to old to grow out your hair, IMO. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. Good luck growing!

Chrissy
July 1st, 2008, 06:35 PM
You guys are awesome! I'm more encouraged than ever. I will try and enjoy each part of the growing process. I have all of you to come to if I'm feeling impatient. I also have done this before and got it really long. All of you had wonderful things to say which I will forever treasure. Thank you!!! Big hugs to all of you.

embee
July 1st, 2008, 09:41 PM
I started at chin length at about your age. There were some awkward times, but now it's classic and I can sit on it when it's down - and I'm delighted with it.

Grow it! :)

Chrissy
July 2nd, 2008, 03:44 AM
I started at chin length at about your age. There were some awkward times, but now it's classic and I can sit on it when it's down - and I'm delighted with it.

Grow it! :)

Hi embee. How long did it take to get that long if I might ask? I'm a growin' it for sure!!!!

DavidN
July 2nd, 2008, 04:16 AM
Good morning, Chrissy, in my own opinion, you are never too old to have long hair, and it is wonderful that you are thinking of growing it long again. I had fairly long hair most of my life, then cut it just before the year 2000. After a few years of short hair, I realized that was NOT for me, and I started growing it again in 2004, when I was nearly 50 1/2 years old.

All of us at the LHC will be here for you as you begin your journey to long hair over again.

Chrissy
July 2nd, 2008, 04:55 AM
Thanks so much David.

tiny_teesha
July 2nd, 2008, 06:19 AM
Go for it! if you are really grey you may even get a white silverly mane!! :) How cool would that be? I dislike older women who wear pixies or short cuts, it is so unflattering in my oppinion. I saw a lady with TB length grey hair and i was in awe! That's how i want my hair when i am old!

DMARTINEZ
July 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Like Harpgal said, "Just do it". :) Im 49 and have been growing since
Ive joined here. I started with a short layered thing, and now have one
length hair to my midback! Its been a fun journey! Just stay connected here
and if you feel the urge to cut, come and look at all the beautiful long
hairs here and you will stay motivated! Happy Growing Chrissy! :flowers:

Deb

morgwn
July 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
You're never too old to do something unless you won't let yourself try it. :) There are so many examples nowadays of people 'breaking the norm' and not being confined to a certain something because they're older.

Give yourself a chance to grow and with your own motivation and the support of those around you, the journey may well be the most delightful part of it. :)

skay
July 3rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Chrissy,

Perhaps you could pave the way for many people out there. We all need heroes. :)

As others have said: Go for it!

Ndnlady
July 4th, 2008, 12:14 AM
You are never too old to start over! I think long hair is beautiful at any age!:) Grow for it!;)

Chrissy
July 4th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I just wanted again to thank everyone for there replies and encouragement. I see a couple people have posted recently. I'm now on my growing journey. I will try and get some pics posted. I have to get my son to do this. You all are great encouragers. I really appreciate all of you. Have a wonderful holiday!!!