PDA

View Full Version : Cocoa butter

Kayla Nyx
September 15th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I've been nervously eyeing some cocoa butter at the store, and was wondering if you COULD put it in your hair??? :confused: I know it is supposed to make your hands soft and such, and was wondering if it was safe for hair, and if anyone else uses it??

~BoHemiAngel~
September 15th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I have used cocoa butter on my hair to smooth out fluffy ends. It's nice! But I only use just a touch, like a thumbnail's worth. Otherwise it causes buildup quickly.

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Depends on what else is in it...I would think pure coco butter would make a lovely fragrant hair mask. Try it and let us know!

pixiedust
September 15th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I use it mixed in equal parts with coconut oil and palm oil (AKA, Spectrum non-hydrogenated vegan friendly all natural vegetable shortening :P) I like to use it on dry ends but only the smallest possible amount (:

Rosetta
September 16th, 2011, 03:27 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Lush Caca bars (henna mixture) contain cocoa butter? So it's surely safe for hair ;) I just don't think it's as beneficial to hair as shea butter (but someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Mannaz
September 16th, 2011, 04:31 AM
I used to make a hair mask of cocoa butter and oil. I melted them, apllyied in my hair and bagged the hair. One time I didn't bother to bag the hair and after and hour I noticed the mixture had dried in hard clumps in my hair! It was a pain to get out! I think it did make my hair very soft though, but maybe I used too much of it (it wasn't my recipe though). If I were to use it again as a mask I'd propably do 1/5 of the cocoa and 4/5 oils and other stuff... I'm sure a pinch as a leave in is good though!

archel
September 16th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Yes, the Lush caca henna bars have a cocoa butter base and they make my hair feel AMAZING. I'm only doing this about once every 6 weeks though, so build up is not an issue...