PDA

View Full Version : Will Dry Shampoo Ruin Stretches?

mallorykay13
September 15th, 2011, 08:58 PM
So when I clarify, (because I CO with a coney condish for my length) it ruins my washing stretch so I have to train my scalp again. If I use a dry shampoo is this going to have a similar effect?

Mairéad
September 15th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Huh, I've never had this problem after clarifying. How often do you clarify? And do you use an SLS shampoo to clarify?

I've had plenty success clarifying with any old shampoo so maybe a more mild surfactant or even a diluted SLS will treat your scalp with a bit more care.

I don't know much about dry shampoo but a lot of the ingredients in the spray kind seem awful drying and may be counter productive, but maybe the powder kinds could be of good use.

Also, have you tried a cone free or are you definitely a cone-head?

mallorykay13
September 15th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I have not tried going cone free for an extended period of time yet. I always feel like my hair is super dry feeling after I dont use cones. I usually clarify with a Suave sulfate shampoo.

Mairéad
September 15th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Next time you clarify try diluting the shampoo in water. It will be more than enough to get the build up out without completely overwhelming the scalp.

Maybe after a clarify try a SMT to help with the dryness.

mallorykay13
September 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Next time you clarify try diluting the shampoo in water. It will be more than enough to get the build up out without completely overwhelming the scalp.

Maybe after a clarify try a SMT to help with the dryness.
Thank you so much for the advice!

Mairéad
September 15th, 2011, 10:15 PM
No problem, I hope it helps!

sun-kissed
September 15th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I gave up dry shampoo during my transition to stretched washing because it would build up on the second use, making my hair look and feel dirty and dull. It was also nearly impossible for me to get out of my hair when I washed(I'm a WOer), so the dry shampoo itself required that I clarify after each time I used it.