PDA

View Full Version : Blending grays away with batana oil

Cassie 123
September 15th, 2011, 12:04 PM
If there is a deity in charge of matters relating to hair, she has quite a sense of humor. Since joining LHC, I have learned to wear my silver streak with pride. Recently, thanks to this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76772), I also discovered a very nice oil for pre-wash treatments: batana oil, which is unrefined palm kernel oil from the (south) american palm. The great joke of it? It's turning my beloved silver streak light brown. >.<

I'm going to have to keep batana far from my silvers from now on, but I wanted to let you guys know about this. If you have hair that is dark blonde to medium brown, this might work to blend away some unwanted grays.

ETA, Oct 1, 2011: unrefined African palm kernel oil looks like it might be very similar to batana oil, and it is much cheaper and more readily available. Two sources include Aromatics International (http://www.aromaticsinternational.com/aromatherapy-other-products/palm-kernel-oil) in the US and Sheabutter Cottage (http://akuawood.co.uk/product.php?productid=44&cat=6&page=1), which gives it the lovely name "adwengo oil", in the UK.

Unofficial_Rose
September 15th, 2011, 01:21 PM
OH, I am the first of many LHC members who appreciate that knowledge! I just have a few grays, which I mute with henndigo, but if I cover completely, the henndigo gets too dark.

Batana oil, you say? Rushes off to Google.

Thank you!

Update: sounds like it is in the Ojon prewash treatment, I just saw someone saying so, and that it had a distinctive coffee-tobacco smell (which the Ojon has). So I already have some. Will try it tomorrow.

stacyyyy1972
September 16th, 2011, 05:39 PM
If there is a deity in charge of matters relating to hair, she has quite a sense of humor. Since joining LHC, I have learned to wear my silver streak with pride. Recently, thanks to this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76772), I also discovered a very nice oil for pre-wash treatments: batana oil, which is unrefined palm kernel oil from the (south) american palm. The great joke of it? It's turning my beloved silver streak light brown. >.<

I'm going to have to keep batana far from my silvers from now on, but I wanted to let you guys know about this. If you have hair that is dark blonde to medium brown, this might work to blend away some unwanted grays.

Wow that is great to know :) as I have some of those fly aways..lol and I know others with lighter hair that may be interested in this as well. Thank you for sharing

k8tea
September 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Wow! Batana oil is the ojon oil...this is so cool to know...I'm going to get some now!

Unofficial_Rose
September 19th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Actually I've made a point of using my Ojon before the last two shampoos and I'm pretty sure the greys are less obvious. They are only partially covered with a light henndigo anyway, plus some virgin roots, which seem to be less sparkly grey.

What a good discovery :D

Tabitha
September 19th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I found the smell of Ojon very difficult to cope with - as if someone had stubbed out a cigarette in a lump of fudge - but if it could blend in my untidy sprinkling of greys it's worth putting up with! *puts on shopping list* thanks for the info!

piratejenny
September 19th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I'm really interested in this as well. Currently I'm experimenting with henna/cassia/buxus glosses but this sounds soooo much simpler.

Where do you get the Batana oil, though? I found the Ojon stuff, but I'm trying to transition to WO and don't really want to use conditioners and treatments and the like.

I live in Europe, but will be in New York in October. Any suggestion where I could het it there?

Cassie 123
September 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Actually I've made a point of using my Ojon before the last two shampoos and I'm pretty sure the greys are less obvious. They are only partially covered with a light henndigo anyway, plus some virgin roots, which seem to be less sparkly grey.

Hurray! ^.^

Where do you get the Batana oil, though? I found the Ojon stuff, but I'm trying to transition to WO and don't really want to use conditioners and treatments and the like.

I live in Europe, but will be in New York in October. Any suggestion where I could het it there?

Uh oh. It was this thread by Catladyintown (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76772) that started me on the batana oil; we both bought ours on eBay through utilahonduras (http://myworld.ebay.com/utilahonduras/), but it looks like they don't have any for sale right now. :neutral: Ojon is more expensive and stinkier. The original Ojon treatment doesn't have much more to it than batana oil and fragrance, but if you are WO, I think the stink of it would drive you mad in short order. :tbear:

cmg
September 19th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I'm curious about this batan or ojon oil. Is there a photo of the plant itself somewhere for identification? I have read somewhere that people think it might be the same stuff as red palm oil. I have used this in my hair, but never heard of batan or ojon before. LHC is really interesting sometimes! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_oil

Cassie 123
September 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM
According to the Wikipedia article on Oil Palms (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Oil_palm&mobileaction=view_normal_site), there are two types:

The African Oil Palm Elaeis guineensis is native to west Africa, occurring between Angola and Gambia, while the American Oil Palm Elaeis oleifera is native to tropical Central America and South America.

Also, for each palm, oil can be derived from either the outer palm fruit or from the inner palm kernel. Now here's my understanding of what's available (I'm no expert, so I could be wrong): Red palm oil is the unrefined oil from the fruit portion of the African Oil Palm; it has lower saturated fat than coconut oil and feels softer and greasier. Palm shortening is the white, refined version of this African palm fruit oil (though it often comes from Asian plantations of cultivated African oil palms). Palm kernel oil is typically the refined oil from the inner kernel (seed) of the African palm; it is a highly saturated white oil similar to coconut, but a bit harder. And batana oil is the unrefined oil from the inner kernel of the American oil palm; it has a consistency very much like coconut oil but is brown and smoky-smelling.

Batana oil should be pure as labeled, but the Ojon treatment also contains African palm fruit oil, though not in great quantity; it closely resembles pure Batana oil (but heavily fragranced).

ktani
September 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM
After doing some research, there are other differences between the 2 species. The African one is the oil referred to as Palm kernel oil. It has the same amount of lauric acid in it as coconut oil and the same amount roughly as the other fatty acids in coconut oil.

The American palm kernel oil, Batana oil has ETA: considerably - less lauric acid and more of the other fatty acids like oleic acid in it.

cmg
September 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah, but whats this about batana coming from "kernels of a pine tree"?

ktani
September 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Yeah, but whats this about batana coming from "kernels of a pine tree"?

Not pine tree, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1748548&postcount=5, American Palm.

Cassie 123
September 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks Ktani! Where did you find the info on the composition of batana oil? Do you think (bent, 18-carbon) oleic acid penetrates the hair as well as (straight, 12-carbon) lauric acid? Olive oil has its fans but not as many as coconut. And by the way, do you think (straight, 10-carbon) capric acid and (straight, 8-carbon) caprylic acid penetrate the hair as well as lauric acid? Lol, sorry, I've been wanting to ask you questions for awhile. :o

cmg, I think the pine tree thing is a bad translation.

ktani
September 19th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks Ktani! Where did you find the info on the composition of batana oil? Do you think (bent, 18-carbon) oleic acid penetrates the hair as well as (straight, 12-carbon) lauric acid? Olive oil has its fans but not as many as coconut. And by the way, do you think (straight, 10-carbon) capric acid and (straight, 8-carbon) caprylic acid penetrate the hair as well as lauric acid? Lol, sorry, I've been wanting to ask you questions for awhile. :o

cmg, I think the pine tree thing is a bad translation.

The lauric acid penetrates hair to the cortex. The oleic acid with one double bond and the linoleic acid with 2 double bonds which are higher in the American palm kernal oil in addition to much less lauric acid, do not.

ETA: The capric acid and caprylic acid are not in a high enough percentage in either oil to make much difference.

Cassie 123
September 19th, 2011, 07:41 PM
The lauric acid penetrates hair to the cortex. The oleic acid with one double bond and the linoleic acid with 2 double bonds which are higher in the American palm kernal oil in addition to much less lauric acid, do not.

Makes sense to me, yet olive oil (with its oleic acid) is widely considered on LHC to be a penetrating oil. Why?

ktani
September 19th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Makes sense to me, yet olive oil (with its oleic acid) is widely considered on LHC to be a penetrating oil. Why?

It can penetrate the hair to a degree, but not very much and not as much as coconut oil or palm kernel oil.

Cassie 123
September 19th, 2011, 08:27 PM
It can penetrate the hair to a degree, but not very much and not as much as coconut oil or palm kernel oil.

Ok, thank you Ktani. Your coconut oil techniques were the reason I found LHC in the first place. Please forgive me if I am a bit starstruck! :o

ETA: the capric/caprylic question was an off-topic hijack. I get good results from fractionated coconut oil that is only capric/caprylic triglyceride, with no lauric acid, so I am perpetually wondering about this.

ktani
September 20th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Ok, thank you Ktani. Your coconut oil techniques were the reason I found LHC in the first place. Please forgive me if I am a bit starstruck! :o

ETA: the capric/caprylic question was an off-topic hijack. I get good results from fractionated coconut oil that is only capric/caprylic triglyceride, with no lauric acid, so I am perpetually wondering about this.

You are most welcome!

Some fractionated coconut oils may contain lauric acid. Most do not. You need to inquire about that from the vendor. The other fatty acids in coconut oil can penetrate hair partially or sit on top of the hair, still providing some benefits, just not as much as the oil would with the lauric acid in it. Those two fatty acids are in very small percentages.

Tabitha
September 20th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Uh oh. It was this thread by Catladyintown (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76772) that started me on the batana oil; we both bought ours on eBay through utilahonduras (http://myworld.ebay.com/utilahonduras/), but it looks like they don't have any for sale right now. :neutral: Ojon is more expensive and stinkier. The original Ojon treatment doesn't have much more to it than batana oil and fragrance, but if you are WO, I think the stink of it would drive you mad in short order. :tbear:

Good to know that batana oil is cheaper and less pungent! Ojon is even more expensive in the UK as usual. Are there alternative sources of batana oil that anyone could recommend?

cmg
September 20th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks, ktani and Cassie_123!

Is the "Red palm oil" I buy in grocery stores the same as the African "Palm kernel oil=Batana oil" we are talking about here? It works great for my hair but stains horribly (Yellow) from karotenoids in the oil.

Some info about the oil I am referring to, for comparison:
(All measurements per 100 grams)

881 kalories
saturated fatty acids 81,500 gr
mono unsaturated fatty acids 11,400 gr
poly unsaturated fatty acids 1,600 gr
Vitamine A-tocopherol 25,600 mg

It contains a great amount of medium-length triglycerids MCT, similar to coconut oil.

The oil I can buy originates typically from Ghana (cultivated) or Togo (wild) and has this color or like the soap in the next link:
http://tinyurl.com/6hun22b
http://sentaku.se/shop/resize.asp?src=/shop/sentaku/images/shop/africanredsoap.jpg&w=300&s=sentaku&f=africanredsoap.jpg

Is this the same as the "Batana oil" or something similar perhaps? If they are the same, it would be possible to buy it less expensive. They actually come in large cannisters "for nothing".

Cassie 123
September 20th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Is the "Red palm oil" I buy in grocery stores the same as the African "Palm kernel oil=Batana oil" we are talking about here? It works great for my hair but stains horribly (Yellow) from karotenoids in the oil.

Unfortunately, the inexpensive red palm oil is made from a different species of palm (African) and a different part of the plant (the oily fruit - imagine something like an olive), while batana oil is made from the American oil palm and comes from the hard inner seed (kernel).

If batana oil becomes more popular, I am sure the price will come down dramatically; there just isn't much production of it right now.

cmg
September 20th, 2011, 07:17 PM
OK, great. Thanks again!

I suppose there have to be some differences in the composition of the oil then. Have there been any comparing tests yet or is the general consensus still at "Batana is the miracle oil"?

Cassie 123
September 20th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I suppose there have to be some differences in the composition of the oil then. Have there been any comparing tests yet or is the general consensus still at "Batana is the miracle oil"?

Ktani found the composition of batana oil somewhere; she says it is high in oleic acid, which is the type found abundantly in olive oil. I honestly would not say that the condition of my hair from batana was dramatically better than my current favorite blend (coconut, camellia, meadowfoam, argan), but it was good and it was.. well, brown. Light brown, laid down right where my silver was supposed to be.

Cassie 123
September 21st, 2011, 12:05 PM
luluj just pointed out to me a thread from 2009 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34422) that talks about the coloration left on the hair by Ojon (starting at post #24). Brand-name Ojon contains red palm oil as the second ingredient, so I think it should give more of a red-gold cast than does the generic batana oil.

ktani
September 21st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Pretty much any coloured oil has the potential to add colour to hair, depending on the hair colour and condition.

In the Honey thread, one member here used olive oil as a treatment on her ash blonde coloured hair and it gave it a strong yellow cast.

ETA: Her natural hair colour is ash blonde. I did not use "coloured" to mean dyed.

Cassie 123
September 21st, 2011, 04:46 PM
Pretty much any coloured oil has the potential to add colour to hair, depending on the hair colour and condition.

Almost all liquid oils have a light yellow cast. Does this mean all of them will stain silver (white) hair? :(

ktani
September 21st, 2011, 04:52 PM
Almost all liquid oils have a light yellow cast. Does this mean all of them will stain silver (white) hair? :(

Some are deeper yellow than others but essentially yes.

That is what makes coconut oil if it is white, a better choice for some hair colours.

Cosmetic argan oil which is not roasted, does not have the red tinge that the roasted food oil does. The cosmetic oil is usually much lighter in colour, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=516860&postcount=680.

senegal
September 21st, 2011, 08:48 PM
The utilahonduras "about me" page says:

I sell a rare and miraculous product called Batana Oil. It comes from the tropical rainforest of Honduras. Please visit www.batanaoil.com for more information.

And the page has a three-for-two deal that seems available.

I put Ojon on my hair overnight with saran wrap and a cap and it definitely subdued my greys but not in a uniform way. It's interesting to see that batana oil is darker, I will have to try this.

It's funny because my sister was wondering why her hair showed the grays more than mine. I have been using Ojon to control the frizz, but I stopped using it for a while because I got really tired of the smell. Maybe if I do overnight treatments I can use up my Ojon and it will build up on my hair a little bit. Thanks for posting.

Kapri
September 22nd, 2011, 03:14 AM
Dear Cassie,

This is really helpful. I'm going to try to get hold of some for the brown stain. I thought about getting some Ojon but if the tone it produces is yellowish/red that could look bad on my grey roots. I am dark blonde/light brown too and would love something non-damaging to deal with
my grey hair.

I am going to keep my eyes peeled for availability,

Kapri

ktani
September 22nd, 2011, 03:28 AM
If you want to increase the brown, using a brown colored shampoo or conditioner may help if the hair is dry or porous, both ones that are not intended for that purpose and the ones that are like colour enhancing products.

The dyes used in the first are less strong, being FD & C colours, the latter contain temporary dyes. Neither dyes can cover grey completely but they can stain it somewhat and help blend it.

ETA: If the hair is not dry or porous, those dyes may have little to no effect at all and neither may the batana oil.

Kapri
September 22nd, 2011, 06:26 AM
Ktani,

Thank you! My hair is dry and porous. The grey roots are resistant to boxed dyes or, at the very least, the dye leaches out very quickly. The ends are dry and porous. I am looking for a long-term route out of boxed dyes that is good for the condition of the hair. I am unsure about henna because of the red tones it tends to produce and the commitment involved, if you need to grow it out. Something that builds gradually would be better.

This is a useful tip for me.

Kapri

ktani
September 22nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
Ktani,

Thank you! My hair is dry and porous. The grey roots are resistant to boxed dyes or, at the very least, the dye leaches out very quickly. The ends are dry and porous. I am looking for a long-term route out of boxed dyes that is good for the condition of the hair. I am unsure about henna because of the red tones it tends to produce and the commitment involved, if you need to grow it out. Something that builds gradually would be better.

This is a useful tip for me.

Kapri

You are most welcome!

You can also try washing herbs to help give you the unwanted colour achieved here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1782731#post1782731.

The same things apply. They may not add colour to all hair conditions or be noticeable on all shades of hair. On hair that is dry and porous it is highly likely though that they will add colour.

When my hair was really dry years ago, colour from oil, shampoo and conditioner all showed up in my hair. This was before I had as much grey/white as I have now.

ktani
September 22nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
Sea Buckthorn oils, the red and yellow are known to stain very well undiluted, the yellow, not so much, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1075.

Kapri
September 22nd, 2011, 09:33 AM
Ktani,

Thank you again. You're a wealth of knowledge! Have you ever used blackstrap molasses as a conditioner? You've probably posted on this if you have. I read last night that it is a) excellent for strengthening hair growth when taken internally and b) there are various conditioning recipes which use bsm. Inspired by some of your research, i am wondering about a honey, bsm, evoo combination. Apparently bsm darkens the hair and you have to watch it a bit if you're not dark brown.

Kapri

Cowgirl16
September 22nd, 2011, 09:50 AM
I've been trying to embrace my greys. I had a few but after going through a big shed it seems that most of the new growth is lighter (grey) :(
I went to the website linked here and they don't have any for sale right now. Has anyone found it anywhere else?

ktani
September 22nd, 2011, 10:29 AM
Ktani,

Thank you again. You're a wealth of knowledge! Have you ever used blackstrap molasses as a conditioner? You've probably posted on this if you have. I read last night that it is a) excellent for strengthening hair growth when taken internally and b) there are various conditioning recipes which use bsm. Inspired by some of your research, i am wondering about a honey, bsm, evoo combination. Apparently bsm darkens the hair and you have to watch it a bit if you're not dark brown.

Kapri

You are very welcome again!

There are threads on molasses here, with recipes. I have not tried it precisely because I do not want darkening, although my hair is no longer dry.

I cannot use honey for conditioning because I am sensitive to it on my scalp. I do not want to lighten with it either in any case because I want to cover my grey/white.

I am happy with using catnip to stain my grey/white blonde and condition my hair. It is also wonderful on my scalp and skin.

ETA: Your recipe sounds great. The only problem if you are looking to darken your hair is that depending on how much of the other ingredients you use you may dilute the molasses enough not to stain.

It is a good idea to use a vinegar rinse after using molasses to help remove the mineral residue. Honey can leave a residue that can (not in all cases) be a problem and it is best removed with shampoo.

Kapri
September 22nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Ktani many thanks again.

I think I'll do some colour result tests on some shed hair with that conditioning mix. That way I'll get some sense of what colour might be produced.

I'll report back. It may be next week now.

I also like the idea of gradual staining with Indian washing herbs.

Have a great weekend!

Kapri

senegal
September 22nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
batanaoil.com is the website for the ebay seller. The deal is dated Aug, 14rh and states one week only, but you can still add it to your cart. $56 for 3 jars.

Kapri
September 23rd, 2011, 09:35 AM
I went and checked this out and it looks like they only ship to Canada, the US and Australia. I've emailed for confirmation on that. But if there is some on sale that is good news for those of you who have access to the shipping service.

Kapri
September 23rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
ps I'm in the UK. If anyone knows how to access this oil, I'd appreciate a tip! But I am also going to experiment with the methods we discussed here on this site.

iris
September 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Interesting thread! Your silver streak is gorgeous Cassie, I'd definitely keep it that way, too, if my whites would come in in a streak like that!

But they don't, so I ended up ordering some unrefined palm kernel oil from Sheabutter cottage (http://akuawood.co.uk/product.php?productid=44&cat=6&page=1) in the UK. This oil is from the African palm (Elaeis Guineensis), not the American palm, but since it's also dark brown, I figured, 'close enough'.

It also stinks, so in that respect it's certainly close enough, too :lol:. On the website the smell is described as 'nutty'. To me it smells like burnt coffee (coffee that's been boiling on the stove for far too long), mixed with a small sharp note like 'car tires and asphalt on a hot day'. We have a coffee factory a few kilometers away, that's exactly what this oil smells like. I love the smell of coffee, but the smell of coffee factory is really not the same. Ugh.

I've always been very curious about the smell of Ojon, I guess I have an idea now of what at least the base oil in that smells like. I added a drop of cinnamon oil to it and that works very well to make the smell work (not sure how good an idea it really is to mix cinnamon oil into it since cinnamon oil is a skin irritant, but I'm fine so far). But the smell doesn't really linger much anyway, so it could do without additions.

Anyway, I've used it about four times now as a pre-wash oil, and I'm not sure if I see any staining. My whites are not porous at all and very dye-resistant, so I wasn't really expecting much in that respect, anyway. It is however fabulously conditioning. Makes my hair very very curly. Also makes it feel strong, unlike any other oil I've ever tried. I like it a lot.

I can't directly compare to the American palm kernel oil since I don't have that, but they seem close enough from the descriptions that I thought I'd mention it.

Cassie 123
September 29th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks, iris! That's the smell alright - sounds like this is darn near the same thing, and according to Ktani the African type that you have might actually be better for hair because it has more lauric acid. Very cool! And if it doesn't cover up those white hairs then maybe you should come join us Renegrays! ;)

ktani
September 30th, 2011, 06:30 AM
according to Ktani the African type that you have might actually be better for hair because it has more lauric acid.

About double the amount of lauric acid and considerably less of the other fatty acids that do not penetrate hair well.

ETA: It is the palm kernel oil closest to coconut oil and is used to substitute for it in cosmetics and other applications.

Cassie 123
September 30th, 2011, 08:55 AM
It looks like Aromatics International (http://www.aromaticsinternational.com/aromatherapy-other-products/palm-kernel-oil) sells the unrefined African oil for those here in the US. It is much cheaper than batana, too! I hope this works for somebody!

ETA: since it has lauric acid like coconut, perhaps Ktani's coconut oil shampoo method would help low-porosity hair to absorb the oil - and its color - better?

Cowgirl16
September 30th, 2011, 09:05 AM
It looks like Aromatics International (http://www.aromaticsinternational.com/aromatherapy-other-products/palm-kernel-oil) sells the unrefined African oil for those here in the US. It is much cheaper than batana, too! I hope this works for somebody!

ETA: since it has lauric acid like coconut, perhaps Ktani's coconut oil shampoo method would help low-porosity hair to absorb the oil - and its color - better?

Thank you! I have been trying to find some:flower:
I'll order some today when I get home from work :D

ktani
October 1st, 2011, 06:20 AM
Unrefined babassu oil can be substituted for coconut oil or palm kernel oil and it also has colour to it,
http://akuawood.x-shops.com/product.php?productid=599&cat=6&page=3&js=n

ETA: All of them have roughly the same amount of lauric acid in them and other fatty acids. The batana oil has less lauric acid by about half and more of the other fatty acids that are less penetrating. The batana oil being far more expensive and more rare is what makes Ojon products more "exotic" not the better choice of oil for one's hair.

Babassu oil is a kernel oil too and so is coconut oil.

ktani
October 1st, 2011, 06:52 AM
I have seen refined babassu kernel oil (just called babbasu oil) referred to as light yellow in colour.

The one I posted above is less yellow and more beige from the photo and would most likely be a better choice for ash blondes.

ETA: I have heard of coconut oil being brownish in colour. That is a matter of processing. Here you can see the colour of coconut oil made from coconut milk, http://central-america-forum.com/forum-topic/how-make-virgin-coconut-oil.

Nutiva, the brand I have is unbleached, made from the kernel meat or copra and is white, https://store.nutiva.com/coconut-oil/

Cassie 123
October 1st, 2011, 10:34 AM
Ktani,

Could you point me to someplace where I can check out the composition of batana oil?

TIA!

ktani
October 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Ktani,

Could you point me to someplace where I can check out the composition of batana oil?

TIA!

I have it in a file I cannot access at the moment on another computer. It was sent to me by a friend. I originally sent it to him.

ETA: We both had file corruption issues on that one with a virus. My other computer with that on it (both versions) is out being fixed.

pelicano
October 1st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Oh this is exactly what I need! my hair loves oil and is dark blonde/light brown. I'm in the uk and will have to decide which one to try.

Cassie 123
October 1st, 2011, 12:20 PM
I have it in a file I cannot access at the moment on another computer. It was sent to me by a friend. I originally sent it to him.

ETA: We both had file corruption issues on that one with a virus. My other computer with that on it (both versions) is out being fixed.

That's ok. I was kind of wondering if it might not in fact be the analysis of the American palm fruit oil, since the African palm fruit oil is similarly high in oleic acid, but the texture of the batana oil much more closely resembles coconut oil.

In any case, I have amended my original post to point readers toward the unrefined African palm kernel oil that iris found, since it sounds very, very similar to batana but is much cheaper!

I am with you on the matter of processing being the cause of the brown color (and the smell). Plants seldom smell exactly like smoke unless there is fire involved. My guess is that the palm kernels are very hard, and that they are roasted very dark on the outside to make it easier to grind them and extract the oil. This would explain both the color and the characteristic aroma.

ktani
October 1st, 2011, 12:28 PM
That's ok. I was kind of wondering if it might not in fact be the analysis of the American palm fruit oil, since the African palm fruit oil is similarly high in oleic acid, but the texture of the batana oil much more closely resembles coconut oil.

In any case, I have amended my original post to point readers toward the unrefined African palm kernel oil that iris found, since it sounds very, very similar to batana but is much cheaper!

I am with you on the matter of processing being the cause of the brown color (and the smell). Plants seldom smell exactly like smoke unless there is fire involved. My guess is that the palm kernels are very hard, and that they are roasted very dark on the outside to make it easier to grind them and extract the oil. This would explain both the color and the characteristic aroma.

I posted the profiles of palm and palm kernel oils here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1306037&postcount=179

and here along with babassu oil if that is any help http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1307992&postcount=185

The research in question on my other computer is batana oil not palm oil.

pelicano
October 1st, 2011, 12:28 PM
Sea Buckthorn oils, the red and yellow are known to stain very well undiluted, the yellow, not so much, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1075.

That's an interesting thought. I have some capsules which really stain the skin (they are bright red).

ktani
October 1st, 2011, 04:03 PM

And you are exactly right.

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/005/Y4355E/y4355e06.htm
"The traditional oil extraction method is to fry palm kernels in old oil or simply heat the dried nuts. The fried kernels are then pounded or ground to a paste in a motorised grinder. The paste is mixed with a small quantity of water and heated to release the palm kernel oil. The released oil is periodically skimmed from the top."

Frying them in old oil no doubt contributes to the smell.

ktani
October 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM
You can even watch some of it (no narrative or explanation) on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMHa6-0vfoE

Cassie 123
October 1st, 2011, 04:29 PM
And you are exactly right.

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/005/Y4355E/y4355e06.htm
"The traditional oil extraction method is to fry palm kernels in old oil or simply heat the dried nuts. The fried kernels are then pounded or ground to a paste in a motorised grinder. The paste is mixed with a small quantity of water and heated to release the palm kernel oil. The released oil is periodically skimmed from the top."

Frying them in old oil no doubt contributes to the smell.

Ah, thank you, ktani. You are truly a master of Google-Fu. :bowtome:

ktani
October 1st, 2011, 04:40 PM
Ah, thank you, ktani. You are truly a master of Google-Fu. :bowtome:

Thank you and you are very welcome!

Not necessarily all unrefined palm kernel oil is fried. It can just be heated too but it would explain the strange smell. Ojon adds extracts to cover the scent somewhat.

Brynne
October 1st, 2011, 10:59 PM
I found this on someone's page, as a comment:

Anonymous said...
Hi there! I am from Honduras and red palm oil is NOT the same as Batana (the main ingredient used in Ojon products). there are different species of palm oil. the most commonly known is the species from Africa that is yellow in color and pretty inexpensive. then there is natural red palm oil used a lot for cooking African recipes. Batana oil is the American Palm oil that is ONLY found in Central American rain forests and harvested by the Miskito Indians of Honduras. it is a thick brown paste with a distinct coffee/tobacco smell. Just thought I'd clear that up, b/c my grandma is half Miskito and even she says it is very hard to come by.

Brynne
October 1st, 2011, 11:02 PM
oh, and reading further on that site, I got a review of the red palm oil for hair:

http://www.agrlcanmac.com/2010/05/red-palm-oil-was-no.html

Is it ok to post links to information like that?

ktani
October 2nd, 2011, 08:04 AM
There are a number of serious problems in Honduras right now that no doubt have affected the availability of batana oil.

If buying batana oil supports the Mosquitia Peoples' efforts to defend their territory, I support that.

http://indigenouspeoplesissues.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=60:central-american-and-caribbean-indigenous-peoples&id=9676:honduras-honduran-moskitia-peoples-to-defend-their-territory

Cassie 123
October 2nd, 2011, 10:00 AM
Hi Brynne -

The quote and link that you provided are right - red palm oil is very different from batana oil because the species of tree is somewhat different, and the two oils are also taken from different parts of the plant. Red palm oil comes from the oily fruit of the African oil palm, while batana oil is the unrefined, brown, traditionally-produced oil from the roasted inner seeds (kernels) of the American oil palm. It is also possible to buy unrefined, brown, traditionally-produced oil from the roasted inner seeds of the African palm, and this may well be an equivalent or better substitute for batana oil. Refined white palm kernel oil is also readily available.

ktani
October 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Here are two more vendors.

Food grade white palm kernel oil, http://www.organic-creations.com/servlet/the-381/palm-kernel-oil-creating/Detail

and Virgin Palm Kernel Oil, http://www.shop.agbangakarite.com/category.sc?categoryId=6

cmg
October 2nd, 2011, 05:51 PM
There are a number of serious problems in Honduras right now that no doubt have affected the availability of batana oil.

If buying batana oil supports the Mosquitia Peoples' efforts to defend their territory, I support that.
Yeah, me too.

Kapri
October 8th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Me too Ktani