PDA

View Full Version : Is there a taboo about having long hair as you get older?

infinity_girl
September 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM
In the West, there seems to be a bit of a taboo about having/growing really long hair as you get older. Women seem to be expected to get their hair cut short as though once you hit a certain age you're not supposed to care about looking nice or doing things that make you feel good.

I really want to grow my hair very long (maybe to tailbone, not sure yet) and I am just starting out on my journey from APL hair. I am 36 and will be 37 in February. I know this is probably ludicrous but do any of you older ladies get comments about having long hair as you get older? I'm probably just being silly but I feel like the media and culture make it almost taboo to have long hair well into your 40s/50s/60s.

Personally I always think older women with long hair look very sexy and feminine and there is something slightly medieval/romantic about the look, especially older women with long white hair.

Signe
September 15th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Do whatever makes you happy. It may be taboo, but it is certainly not the kind of taboo that will generate too much drama. So ignore the negativity (if you get any), and do whatever you want with your hair.
Also, in my experience, the only place it could potentially be an actual problem is the workplace. Fortunately, with long hair, you can always just put it up in a professional/unassuming do, and it stops being an issue (unlike some other personal style choices, like neon hair or tattoos).

Madora
September 15th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Not so much a "taboo" as a "fashion" statement. Long hair on older women doesn't appeal to "those in the know" (what do they know?!).

And let's face it, unless you know how to style long hair, and care for it properly, short hair is much easier to maintain. Also, longer hair takes time to grow (a major stumbling block for most folks) and if you don't know how to create styles for it, it can become a crashing bore and out come the scissors.

Then, too, while long hair may appeal greatly to older women, if they have disabilities that prevent their growing their hair long and maintaining it in good condition, their only option is shorter hair.

I never had anyone tell me my hair was too long for my age (65). My styles are always braided and neat and I've had several comments on them.

If you want to grow your hair long, I'd say go for it and to blazes with what "others" think!

Inkwell
September 15th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I don't know if taboo is the right word. I do see what you're saying, however. Most older women that I know do have shorter hair. I think some of them prefer to not have to fuss with it. Also, as you age, your hair quality may go down and many women experience some hair loss. Instead of having thinning hair that is long and more noticeable, I believe some women opt for a short crop to camouflage the hair loss better.

That said, do what makes you happy! I'm just starting my hair growth journey and that makes me happy. :)

ilovelonghair
September 15th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I think it's getting less and less 'taboo' :) But if you search for this topic on LHC there are gazillions of threads!
The good thing is, we're seeing more and more 'older' (what exactly is older?) actresses with long hair, and it's getting more mainstream.
I'm 37 myself and not planning to ever cutting it. I remember being in my 20's and seeing so many women when they hit their 30's cutting it off. I found that truely weird. Times have changed, it doesn't happen that much anymore. Maybe 'cut off age' is higher now? But where I live (a fashionable modern city) long hair is for all ages.

Cassie 123
September 15th, 2011, 10:46 AM
There is certainly a taboo in place right now, and it's our job to change it as we become the older generation. Twenty years ago, few western women wore tattoos or pierced anything other than earlobes; now, these things are seen as valid fashion choices for anybody.

kitschy
September 15th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Yes, but who cares!

sun-kissed
September 15th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I am a teen and I personally find long hair on older women very beautiful, especially if it is not colored. I admire the elder women on here for their lovely tresses, and even dream of the day when I will be able to sport classic-length white hair! Hair is a woman's glory, why should you have to cut it off once you get older? As long as you are willing to take care of it and style it, I don't think there should be a problem with you having unusual lengths.

heartgoesboom
September 15th, 2011, 10:49 AM
long hair is so much better for older women. i've been harping on my mom to grow her hair but she keeps cutting it. she thinks i don't notice when half an inch is cut off!

neko_kawaii
September 15th, 2011, 11:17 AM
One grandmother had long silver hair, the other short, dyed and permed. My mother has long hair and is in her 50s, my MIL has short, silver and permed hair. *shrug* When I cut my hair short a few years ago, the grandmother with short hair remarked that she had begun to ask if I'd received my husband's permission before cutting it but then realized that my generation didn't need to do that. I wonder if for her generation, getting the short cut when older was a comment on not needing to look "feminine" in order to catch a husband or being post-menopause or realizing that some cultural strictures are nonsense and it is better to be yourself. (Anyone care to write a dissertation?) It is sad that there are areas where a short cut on an older woman has become such a standard thing that long hair could be seen to be taboo.

Cowgirl16
September 15th, 2011, 11:18 AM
My DH and I went out to eat the other night and there was a table of about 10-12 "mature" women. They ALL had the same haircut; short and layered. The only difference in their hair was the color :confused:

I agree with Madora that someones disability can determine how they keep their hair as well as their patience :)

In the 1800's women let their hair grow and pinned it up; short hair does seem to be the norm nowadays.

spidermom
September 15th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Fiddlesticks and poppycock! We're all supposed to be wearing this, that, or the other color or fashion, too. That may be all right for clones and stepford wives, but as for us individuals - we can do what we want!

LittleOrca
September 15th, 2011, 11:33 AM
There is a taboo in place for some people. I have come across other forums in which young women (25ish) talk about when the proper time to cut off all their long hair is so that they are getting their "mom cut" at the right time in their life, even if they are not a mom yet!

My philosophy? If you like it and have it, then any length of hair is a "mom" cut or an "old lady" cut and to heck with what others think. :)

duchesswannabe
September 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I just want to take advantage of maintaining longer hair while it is still thick because after I am done with the "change of life" it might go downhill for all I know. I did have short hair from age 39-48 (by short I mean above my shoulders) and do not regret it (although I have had a few damn weird cuts).

Along with making one other major change to my life three years ago, I decided to grow my hair to below shoulder length. Two years ago I stopped having it thinned as much.

I am also suddenly afraid of dating myself (I wasn't before) with a haircut from circa 1979 which might be very becoming on myself and many other women but to me shouts loud and clear that I remember when John Travolta was in Saturday Night Fever. I intellectually know, however, that you can tell I am older by my broader face and salt-and-pepper look.

So, after all of this bending your ears, I believe in the old people should do what makes them happy routine when it comes to their hair or clothing. I may not like choices some people make in their appearances, but I would never tell them to change because I don't like it.

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Fiddlesticks and poppycock! We're all supposed to be wearing this, that, or the other color or fashion, too. That may be all right for clones and stepford wives, but as for us individuals - we can do what we want!

Rock on!:rockerdud

I was told I had to get rid of my long hair when I hit 30 and became a mom. Of course I wasn't told outright. I got a lot of "Wow, how do you find the time to take care of your hair?" And "How long are you going to keep your hair?" and "Oh, I had long hair too, when I was a kid/younger/single." My mom was thrilled when I got my Mom Cut.

I don't plan to cut my hair again until I reach knees or terminal. I loved having long hair and anytime I got it cut above waist I have hated it.

I'm going to have long, long auburn hair until I die! Scr*w anyone who doesn't approve!

embee
September 15th, 2011, 12:16 PM
There may be a sort of taboo but we are ignoring it. :D

Be true to yourself. If you want long hair and can care for it, go right ahead! People who complain can always be given a silent stare and a shrug.

dulce
September 15th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Wow,is there!I am 59 and have gray streaked waist length hair.At the all women's gym I used to attend,there was an older woman[short permed coloured] in her 70's who kept telling me and everyone else who would listen ,that I was trying to look like a teenager.She was in my group aerobics class and used to stare at me indignantly all the time.Another time, at a mall there were 2 older women[short coloured permed] sitting near me.One kept staring at me ,then finally pointed directly at me ,shaking her head in a disapproving fashion,to her friend who then looked at me ,both of them talking the entire time.On another forum I belong to,there is a lady who twice has said on the forum that all older long gray haired ladies look like the proverbial witch at their cauldron.Nice.I told her what I thought of that comment each time she said it. So for the month of october, I bought myself some halloween black and silver earrings[bat,ghost,spider etc] and I will wear it with my black and silver flexi 8's with my hair in a half up in a bun with the rest loose .Might as well have some fun with it!!!!!In spite of disapproval[mainly other older short haired women] men of all ages and younger folks don't seem to care.I have no intention of cutting,I like it and hubbie who never comments usually on my appearance ,comments he likes it better now that it's long again. So definitely there is a bias but do what you want!If more older ladies grew it long and gray it would be accepted more.

HairFaerie
September 15th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Taboos are made to be broken! :D

MajorasMask
September 15th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Dulce, I'm sorry that people would ridicule you like that. Just rude. However, I like how you're dealing with it. Haha! Halloween earrings and everything xD

teal
September 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Rock on!:rockerdud

I was told I had to get rid of my long hair when I hit 30 and became a mom. Of course I wasn't told outright. I got a lot of "Wow, how do you find the time to take care of your hair?" And "How long are you going to keep your hair?" and "Oh, I had long hair too, when I was a kid/younger/single." My mom was thrilled when I got my Mom Cut.

I don't plan to cut my hair again until I reach knees or terminal. I loved having long hair and anytime I got it cut above waist I have hated it.

I'm going to have long, long auburn hair until I die! Scr*w anyone who doesn't approve!

I got the same thing, especially before the birth of the first child! "When are you going to cut your hair?" Uh, how about whenever I feel it becomes necessary, which thus far has been never? And why are you saying "when" instead of "if"?

I didn't get many comments for the second kid, and none since I've mentioned that I'm going to see how long it'll grow.

Besides that, I'm sorry but the "I'm-mid-30s-with-young-kids" haircut makes me wanna :puke:

Cassie 123
September 15th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Besides that, I'm sorry but the "I'm-mid-30s-with-young-kids" haircut makes me wanna :puke:

I used to feel that way, too, but ever since I found out how friggin' hard it is having kids, I'm not in any position to judge other moms for what they've had to do in order to cope.

spidermom
September 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Dulce, that's terrible. In what area do you live? I want to avoid it.

I've seen a few other long-haired women around my age in this area, and nobody has said a thing to me other than something like "isn't it a hassle to take care of?" and "how long are you planning to grow it?" These questions seemed merely curious, not rude.

dementedkitten
September 15th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I live in the UK too (Scotland) and I love seeing an older person with long hair .. especially when it's an older woman - because yes, most of them do cut their hair short.. I really want long silver hair when I get old :)

wooliswonderful
September 15th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Yes, but who cares!
^^ This. :D

IanB
September 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Blimey! I hope not!

ilovelonghair
September 15th, 2011, 03:13 PM
..."Oh, I had long hair too, when I was a kid/younger/single."

My BF gets that sometimes!!!! (just with the word 'younger' not sure what the other guys mean with that, maybe jealousy, not sure why they themselve cut it off) Bwahahahaha! Now we women don't have to deal with it anymore, it's the men that get that the cr*p! :p

ilovelonghair
September 15th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Wow,is there!I am 59 and have gray streaked waist length hair.At the all women's gym I used to attend,there was an older woman[short permed coloured] in her 70's who kept telling me and everyone else who would listen ,that I was trying to look like a teenager.She was in my group aerobics class and used to stare at me indignantly all the time.Another time, at a mall there were 2 older women[short coloured permed] sitting near me.One kept staring at me ,then finally pointed directly at me ,shaking her head in a disapproving fashion,to her friend who then looked at me ,both of them talking the entire time.On another forum I belong to,there is a lady who twice has said on the forum that all older long gray haired ladies look like the proverbial witch at their cauldron.Nice.I told her what I thought of that comment each time she said it. So for the month of october, I bought myself some halloween black and silver earrings[bat,ghost,spider etc] and I will wear it with my black and silver flexi 8's with my hair in a half up in a bun with the rest loose .Might as well have some fun with it!!!!!In spite of disapproval[mainly other older short haired women] men of all ages and younger folks don't seem to care.I have no intention of cutting,I like it and hubbie who never comments usually on my appearance ,comments he likes it better now that it's long again. So definitely there is a bias but do what you want!If more older ladies grew it long and gray it would be accepted more.

Cool revenge! :) Stupid ladies should mind their own poodle perms.

Mesmerise
September 15th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I've never in my life been asked when I'm going to cut my hair. I guess where I live there's no taboo on older ladies with longer hair, because I do see it. I wouldn't say the majority of older ladies have long hair, by any means, but it's not uncommon either.

Two of my neighbours are both rocking long renegray hair, one is probably in her 60s and the other is late 40s/early 50s. When I go to the supermarket I'll invariably see an older woman with longer hair (not necessarily LHC long... but certainly "long" compared to the short hair so many older women have).

I find it odd the idea that when you get to 30ish you get a "mom cut" LOL. I see plenty of 30-something moms with long hair! So I'm guessing it's really a regional thing, and where I come from long hair is pretty much accepted (although I do agree that the incidence of long hair goes down as the age goes up!!)

I do remember in high school, a friend with long hair said she'd probably cut it off when she was 30 (not because of the age, I don't think, more because she thought she'd maybe be sick of it then and ready to chop lol). Anyway, I saw her at our high school reunion last year, aged 37, and her hair was still long! I guess she wasn't ready to sacrifice her beautiful hair :).

I would say it's not common to see really long hair (well waist+ I guess), especially on older women, but regular long hair isn't uncommon (then again, waist+ isn't that common among any age group).

vampyriccadence
September 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I know my mother refuses to grow her hair out because she always associated her short hair with her youth. There is only one picture of her with shoulder length hair, and she was probably about 14 years old.

I on the other hand LOVE my long hair and love seeing women of all ages with long hair. I would love to be that older woman with silver streaked, waist length hair!

scotty810
September 15th, 2011, 04:04 PM
well my mother is 60 and she's had it shortish for at least a decade now, she said she got tired of maintaining it.

I think most women would say that who had cut it short.

Personally I've found long hair doesn't take that much maintenance, in fact it probably takes even less time that when it was short because I don't have to worry about gel styling it. and anyway when women retire do they really not have the time or something :confused:

if i ever get married I'll be insistent as I can that she doesn't cut it into a short old lady perm

celebriangel
September 15th, 2011, 04:11 PM
From my brief, hardly maintained attempt at short hair, and my great happiness when my hair reached almost-waist - the longest it has ever been (this was, ironically, directly before the chop...) I conclude that I am a lifelong longhair. Even when I hated my hair's colour, greasiness, and bushiness, I still loved that it was long.

I expect people will disapprove. But then I seem to be the sort of person who attracts lots of disapproval from some, so I'm sure I won't even notice a little extra :)

Of the Fae
September 15th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I actually think short perms on elderly ladies make them seem much older than they are. There is this woman in my town, I regularly see her on the streets and I think she is about 70. She wears her hair long and wavy and it is gray with natural blonde streaks .. She is so pretty, and looks more youthful then younger women in their sixties with short perms and dyed fried hair!

kidari
September 15th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I really dislike when they cut it super short and get a poodle perm but I can't judge, maybe when I'm older my hair will thin out to the point that I have to do that, who knows? I love the idea of having natural silvery grey hair at waist length that you wear in updos at that age though.

Of the Fae
September 15th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I've never in my life been asked when I'm going to cut my hair. I guess where I live there's no taboo on older ladies with longer hair, because I do see it. I wouldn't say the majority of older ladies have long hair, by any means, but it's not uncommon either.

Two of my neighbours are both rocking long renegray hair, one is probably in her 60s and the other is late 40s/early 50s. When I go to the supermarket I'll invariably see an older woman with longer hair (not necessarily LHC long... but certainly "long" compared to the short hair so many older women have).

I find it odd the idea that when you get to 30ish you get a "mom cut" LOL. I see plenty of 30-something moms with long hair! So I'm guessing it's really a regional thing, and where I come from long hair is pretty much accepted (although I do agree that the incidence of long hair goes down as the age goes up!!)

I do remember in high school, a friend with long hair said she'd probably cut it off when she was 30 (not because of the age, I don't think, more because she thought she'd maybe be sick of it then and ready to chop lol). Anyway, I saw her at our high school reunion last year, aged 37, and her hair was still long! I guess she wasn't ready to sacrifice her beautiful hair :).

I would say it's not common to see really long hair (well waist+ I guess), especially on older women, but regular long hair isn't uncommon (then again, waist+ isn't that common among any age group).

Yes, this irks me, the mom cut :P usually accompanied by dreadfully practical clothing women who "let theirself go", forget all about their looks, cut their hair, not care about their clothes, get obese and unhappy . Why is this? And then complain that they are aging and so losing their charms.. pff yeah right.

Cassie 123
September 15th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Yes, this irks me, the mom cut :P usually accompanied by dreadfully practical clothing women who "let theirself go", forget all about their looks, cut their hair, not care about their clothes, get obese and unhappy . Why is this? And then complain that they are aging and so losing their charms.. pff yeah right.

Grr. This post ticks me off so much. :(

Libbylou
September 15th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I hope it's not taboo. I am in my mid 50's and this year decided to grow my hair. For 2 decades I had the kinda short perm do. That is the only way you can wear it. With my hair getting longer there is so much more variety in hair styles. Plus I sweat alot and with short hair you can't pull it up. At least now my neck stays cool.

neko_kawaii
September 15th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Of course, I've never particularly cared for clothes that were not practical, nor to spend much time or money on my appearance, but I doubt I would ever complain about aging and loosing my charms, never having considered myself to have any charms and I'd rather age than experience the alternative just yet. *shrug*

But then, I find the perfectly coiffed, made up, well dressed women irksome. Especially mothers. *wink*

Aimskylove
September 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Not sure if there is, but I saw an older woman today (in her 50's) and she had gorgeous long black hair in two braids and I couldnt help but compliment her! :) I think its beautiful!

SilentGuardian
September 15th, 2011, 07:41 PM
They have the same attitude around here as well. I work in a nursing home, and none of those old women have remotely long hair, nor do I ever see out in public.

Old women should keep their hair long if they so desire :(

dRummie
September 15th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I really like buns and french twists on older ladies, I think that sort of look is very classy.
I personally have never seen an older woman with loose long hair whose look I liked.. perhaps it's cultural, something about it just looks "off" to me. Same with braids, I guess I just see those styles as being more appropriate for youths. But then, that's my personal opinion, and just means I may not wear my hair loose when I'm older. I wouldn't dream of telling someone else they should conform to my outlook :P

jojo
September 15th, 2011, 08:02 PM

:D love it, havent heard this in donkeys!

Back to the op's question. I really don't care if people like my hair long or not. I am 42 and have always been the sort who makes my own trends , rather than follow the crowd. I prefer my hair long and the way I see it is if women (or men) were not lean't to have longer hair at older ages we would reach our terminal lengths sooner!

I actually got a comment last night off a friend I havent seen in yonks who said " do you have long hair to make yourself look younger?" I was a bit taken back and replied "why is it working? ha ha " "well you do look young for your age but long hair is so aging don't you think?":confused: the mind boggles! I wear my hair long because thats how I like it!

misspurdy06
September 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
check out this lame-o article.

http://beauty.about.com/od/beautybyageteensto50/a/hairages.htm

EdG
September 15th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Unfortunately, there is. :(

My mom has an old-lady poodle-cut. In my opinion, there is nothing that says "I'm an old lady" better than having an old-lady poodle cut. She probably would have nice hair too if she let it grow.

On men, the taboo is that past a certain age, a long-haired man starts looking like his mom. :rolleyes:

My long hair does not make me look like my mom. I know this for a fact. :D
Ed

adiapalic
September 15th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Since she turned 50, my mama let her hair grow from a shoulder. She previously had a pixie, and grew to shoulder and maintained a while. At 53, she has almost waist length, layered, thick hair now. My dad loves it and she gets compliments everywhere she goes.

I try to convince her to go natural without coloring--she won't do!

She does, however, get some lovely highlights from the colored silvers in her dark hair.

dulce
September 15th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Adiapalic,I wish I lived where you live!I suspect bigger cities are more forgiving of individual styles.My guess is that in New york or some such big city no-one would look at me twice.But I live in a small town on a small island.

Elenna
September 15th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I usually get the speech "you should cut your hair to look younger." First, hair has nothing to do with what a person "looks" like. Second, age is a number. Third, as long as a person's hair is neat and clean there should be nothing to complain abut. Fourth, what's wrong with undyed hair? Commerical box hair dyes are toxic. Fifth, I'm not here to decorate your world!

Teazel
September 15th, 2011, 10:59 PM
My long hair does not make me look like my mom. I know this for a fact. :D
Ed

LOL, Ed. :D

I don't think anyone's ever told me I'm too old to have long hair. :hmm: If they have, I've blocked it out of my memory. :wink: Usually comments are of the "Wow, your hair is so long!" variety, sometimes followed by a compliment.

But in popular culture, it's all makeover shows where older people with long hair get drastic cuts, and dye, and layers. Certainly I feel pressure to get the generic look. But my ambition to have ankle-length (if it will go that far) hair just for once in my life is more important right now! I don't care that much about the rest.

Dulce, I'm so sorry you have to put up with such rudeness! Why do some people feel they have the right to say such things? :(

nellreno
September 16th, 2011, 01:00 AM
My mom sometimes gets admonished for having long-ish hair. She's in her sixties and the shortest she's had her hair lately is a bit below her shoulders. Not really that long by LHC standards, but compared to most of the women her age it's apparently "too long".

CariadA
September 16th, 2011, 01:36 AM
My mom had a short hair most of my childhood. She had her last child (me) at 40 and was told by many to cut her hair short so she did. When she was in her mid 50's, she started growing out her hair. Now my mom is blessed with having an overall youthful appearance, but I think she looks even younger because her hair is long. She has thick, curly, long hair with very few grays (although I love gray, she just doesn't have many even in her 60's). I think the natural volume and curls in her hair soften her face and make her look even more youthful. If someone were to tell me she should cut her hair because she is too old to have long hair, I would seriously laugh at them. She looks amazing with long hair.

I am my mother's clone in every way but hair. We have the exact same face. This really gives me hope that I will look just as beautiful as I age, even if I have fine and thin hair. I am pretty sure I will keep my hair long my whole life.

ilovelonghair
September 16th, 2011, 02:02 AM
I really dislike when they cut it super short and get a poodle perm but I can't judge, maybe when I'm older my hair will thin out to the point that I have to do that, who knows? I love the idea of having natural silvery grey hair at waist length that you wear in updos at that age though.

The problem is, the perm makes it look worse. Maybe when they walk out of the salon things are in place, but the moment that perm grows out a tiny bit it starts to go weird in places and shows thinness even worse. Especially when they have what my mother calls 'floating hair' where it's thin, permed frizzy and dyed with an outgrow. The hair looks like it's not connected to the scalp but floats around the head.

I'd rather wear a nice headscarf or wig than the poodle perm. I have never met anyone who could pull that look off.

If they want to be that way,that's fine, that's their choice it doesn't matter (but don't complain :) )

I really like buns and french twists on older ladies, I think that sort of look is very classy.
I personally have never seen an older woman with loose long hair whose look I liked.. perhaps it's cultural, something about it just looks "off" to me. Same with braids, I guess I just see those styles as being more appropriate for youths. But then, that's my personal opinion, and just means I may not wear my hair loose when I'm older. I wouldn't dream of telling someone else they should conform to my outlook :P

I think it's because you don't see it often, not being used to the look of loose long hair on older women. If it was the norm to have it loose, we would probably think it's weird if they'd put it up!

Btw, what about "you cut your hair to look older?" ROTFWL! Would be a nice comeback!

Of the Fae
September 16th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I didn't mean to judge people who actually are happy with the way they look. The point is, that you often hear that women do this, and then feel completely worthless about theirselves and ugly all the time. And what I ment with the losing charms part was that they think that because they age they are not adequate to look beautiful anymore, and therefore should just not care and accept that they are not pretty, while I personally think the fact of the matter is that they ARE. most of these woman ARE beautiful, but don't see it in themself and don't aknowledge their right to dress in a way that flatters them.
And to no amount was I trying to offend anyone chubby or big (this also I do not consider an ugly feature), I was merely pointing out that mistreating your body because you are unhappy and think you are too old or too anything to take good care of it is a sad thing, when you have a healthy look and you are naturally big that can be gorgeous, I actually know a lot of girls that are stunning and big! I meant when you lose your natural healthy weight for overeating and fast eating, it really ruins people and that just saddens me. Women who could be happy and healthy and just toss it away by lack of self worth and having kids.
so I am deeply sorry if I have offended anybody, I did not mean to! So please do not take this the wrong way.

missoj
September 16th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I don't think it's taboo but more of a trend and also ease. Most older women keep theirs short here. My great aunt keeps her hair really short (in about a pixie) because she doesn't want to put a lot of effort into keeping it neat. Also it's cheaper and easier for her to dye (she doesn't like her greys).
Oh and we're from South Africa

Lucky
September 16th, 2011, 03:19 AM
I guess it depends on what "older" means. I think things are changing, particularly with Hollywood trends - look how many over 40 actresses have long hair now.

It's funny, my mom loves long hair on me, she's always encouraged me to keep it long but it's my DH who prefers it shorter. He's a wonderful man, I don't mean to imply that he's mean or abusive, but he has clearly told me that he prefers me in a shorter style.

I'll be 36 in a month (actually, in exactly 1 month :)) and I plan on growing out my hair for good, and who cares if anyone thinks I'm "too old". I've caved to pressure too many times over the last few years and did again recently and REALLY regret it big time. I'm hoping to be to at least halfway to my goal by my 37th birthday.

Wow, that became a self-centered post, sorry!

Rosetta
September 16th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I actually got a comment last night off a friend I havent seen in yonks who said " do you have long hair to make yourself look younger?" I was a bit taken back and replied "why is it working? ha ha " "well you do look young for your age but long hair is so aging don't you think?":confused: the mind boggles! I wear my hair long because thats how I like it!
I agree. And I just really, really don't get this "long hair is so aging"... :confused: It seems to be what many people genuinely think, but I just can't get my head round it. Mind-boggling, yes, to say the least! Long hair makes one look younger, if anything...

I comletely agree with you. Not only do many of those people then complain, but can also be very catty towards women who are mothers and still care about their looks... I have experienced it myself. It's not like mothers are only allowed to look unkempt and wear ugly clothes, for heavens sake!! If some like that, fine for them, but they shouldn't take it on others who don't...

Of the Fae
September 16th, 2011, 03:27 AM
It IS odd, people on one hand say long hair is aging, and on the other say long hair makes one look younger. I for one think long hair is just beautiful and gracious no matter what your age is! It can make a teen girl look younger than she is, and maybe it makes older woman look younger, but I think this is because so many older women have short hair that long hair is not assumed on an older woman.
Anyway, screw what people say about you, if you want to grow your hair just go for it :D And I am sure that many other women in the streets secretly think: Wow I wish I had hair that was that beautiful and long, if only.. :)

Mesmerise
September 16th, 2011, 03:36 AM
When I cut my hair a few years ago I got told I looked older :bigeyes: needless to say, I grew it again :D (that's not the only reason of course...I just prefer long hair). I think it's weird to suggest that long hair is ageing, when so many people are perceived as YOUNGER when they have long hair!

fluffybunny
September 16th, 2011, 04:20 AM

Great reply, and so nicely illustrated by the picture of a lady with a huge snake draped across her shoulders :-)

duchesswannabe
September 16th, 2011, 04:25 AM
misspurdy06, I couldn't even read that whole article. While it was fairer than some articles I have read about longer hair on older people, it gave the old "a lighter color will make you look younger" pitch and in my own observation I think that's bulls***.

fluffybunny
September 16th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Gotta admit, I can understand the impulse to cut it to avoid the reminder of aging. Hair just coarsens up and thins as you age (well mine has anyway, although I've noticed other women say theirs is unchanged). So I've got this big long mass of it now that's just not as pretty as it would have been at this length in my youth.

Yet my skin is also not as pretty, my a** is also not as pretty, what am I going to do? Can't cut those off.

Main thing is, despite it all, I still think long hair just looks better than short hair.

mrs_coffee
September 16th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Yes, but who cares!

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/tackyblueeyeshadow/Smileys/claps.gif

amyhenna
September 16th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I'm 41 with hair to my waist and the only person who gets on me to cut it is my mom! :0)

I get compliments on my hair. Always have. Hasn't changed in my "aged years". (ha ha)

Fairlight63
September 16th, 2011, 07:03 AM
I'm 66 & my hair is almost TBL. My husband used to tell me ever once in a while to get it cut, but he hasn't said anything in a long time. I think that he has given up on that idea. Now he never says anything about my hair, which is better than telling me to get it cut.

Not long ago, I was at church & another lady who has long gray hair - she is in her 70's came over & said that it is so unusual to see older ladies with long hair. She said that she was at a get together with a lot of people & there was only 1 lady besides her with long hair(I live in Wis.).
I saw a lady in the grocery store the other day that had silver hair done up in a French twist & she looked so elegant. I think that long gray hair done up in a bun looks so elegant than short hair - cut so short that it looks like a man cut. There is a lady who works at the grocery store that has her hair cut in a buzz cut - she must like it - but it is not for me.

MsBubbles
September 16th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I hope it's not taboo. I am in my mid 50's and this year decided to grow my hair. For 2 decades I had the kinda short perm do. That is the only way you can wear it. With my hair getting longer there is so much more variety in hair styles. Plus I sweat alot and with short hair you can't pull it up. At least now my neck stays cool.

Welcome to the world of long hair and welcome to LHC, Libbylou!

Cassie 123
September 16th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I didn't mean to judge people who actually are happy with the way they look. The point is, that you often hear that women do this, and then feel completely worthless about theirselves and ugly all the time. And what I ment with the losing charms part was that they think that because they age they are not adequate to look beautiful anymore, and therefore should just not care and accept that they are not pretty, while I personally think the fact of the matter is that they ARE. most of these woman ARE beautiful, but don't see it in themself and don't aknowledge their right to dress in a way that flatters them.
And to no amount was I trying to offend anyone chubby or big (this also I do not consider an ugly feature), I was merely pointing out that mistreating your body because you are unhappy and think you are too old or too anything to take good care of it is a sad thing, when you have a healthy look and you are naturally big that can be gorgeous, I actually know a lot of girls that are stunning and big! I meant when you lose your natural healthy weight for overeating and fast eating, it really ruins people and that just saddens me. Women who could be happy and healthy and just toss it away by lack of self worth and having kids.
so I am deeply sorry if I have offended anybody, I did not mean to! So please do not take this the wrong way.

Thank you for your kind response. :) :blossom:

It really ruffles my feathers when I hear the phrase, "she let herself go." Because I know her, I have struggled beside her, and, eventually, I became her. She didn't let herself go; she was dragged kicking and screaming the whole way. I have seen the hope in her eyes at the Weight Watchers meeting, and I have seen the inevitable shame later, because 95% of weight loss attempts fail within five years, and 41% of dieters gain back even more weight than they lost. Plus-size clothes just aren't all that cute sometimes, and it's so much more rewarding to spend that money on the toys and books and activities that light up our children's eyes. If she went to the salon hoping that a cute new haircut might brighten up the picture a bit, who can blame her? We all need to find our own way to feel beautiful, and our new version of beautiful is not necessarily going to look the same as it did when we were younger.

So anyway, let's lay that ugly phrase to rest once and for all and focus on our own favorite kind of beautiful: long, naturally healthy hair. :) :blossom:

Unofficial_Rose
September 16th, 2011, 08:51 AM
misspurdy06, I couldn't even read that whole article. While it was fairer than some articles I have read about longer hair on older people, it gave the old "a lighter color will make you look younger" pitch and in my own observation I think that's bulls***.

Yes, I think from personal experience that that one is not true. I heard a friend say that the other day but as she a) has highlights and b) seems to believe all that Daily Mail guff I didn't say anything, for the sake of harmony ;) It all depends on a person's complexion.

Hairitic
September 16th, 2011, 08:53 AM
It's funny; I was just thinking about the "taboo" of long hair on older women yesterday! Of course, when I decided to grow my hair long again a while back, I didn't care about taboos. Just like I didn't care about taboos when I was 50ish and streaked my hair then dyed the lighter hair purple or got my nose pierced. Obviously, I don't let convention rule me, lol. :D I find long hair easier to maintain and I just plain prefer it, so that's what I do!
:cheese:

hs_atreides
September 16th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I think there are taboos but they ought to be broken! My DH and I talked about this after reading the thread. We think there are all sorts of ridiculous rules/taboos in beauty that should be reconsidered and busted!

MychelleC
September 16th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I love an older woman with long hair. My hope is to have long gray hair someday. I do think the most flattering length is for the hair to hit just above the curve a your waist, on any age but especially as we age. As our face begins head south it helps to have our long hair cut to a more uplifting length with some simple layers around the face. Too long and everything about us looks dragged down. This isn't true for everyone, just my personal opinion for myself and most of the lovely long haired older women I see. That said, 37 is not "older" - it's just getting started!

Of the Fae
September 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Thank you for your kind response. :) :blossom:

It really ruffles my feathers when I hear the phrase, "she let herself go." Because I know her, I have struggled beside her, and, eventually, I became her. She didn't let herself go; she was dragged kicking and screaming the whole way. I have seen the hope in her eyes at the Weight Watchers meeting, and I have seen the inevitable shame later, because 95% of weight loss attempts fail within five years, and 41% of dieters gain back even more weight than they lost. Plus-size clothes just aren't all that cute sometimes, and it's so much more rewarding to spend that money on the toys and books and activities that light up our children's eyes. If she went to the salon hoping that a cute new haircut might brighten up the picture a bit, who can blame her? We all need to find our own way to feel beautiful, and our new version of beautiful is not necessarily going to look the same as it did when we were younger.

So anyway, let's lay that ugly phrase to rest once and for all and focus on our own favorite kind of beautiful: long, naturally healthy hair. :) :blossom:

Wow.. that does set things in perspective for me :)
You're right! Thank you

ssjhotau2
September 16th, 2011, 09:07 AM
My mother is in her 60's and she has had long natural red hair all her life- It has never grown beyond waist because of heat styling and now that she is older her grays have faded her vibrant hair to a more strawberry blond.
Everyone loves her hair and as far as I know she has never gotten any negative comments about cutting it. She wears it either wavy/curly or in a side braid.

The only problem she has really is that she will never be able to bun her own hair now because she has nerve damage in her shoulders and lifting her arms causes shooting pains- which means she also has a hard time washing her hair. She only washes her full length once a week or every other week. Instead she washes her bangs in the kitchen sink when her hair gets too oily and just combs the rest back into a braid.

pepperminttea
September 16th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Yes, but who cares!

Amen to that! :cheese:

Xandergrammy
September 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I didn't start growing my hair until after I turned 40. I don't care if there's a taboo and if anyone tries to tell me my hair is too long, I ignore them or I tell them that I hope it hasn't stopped growing yet. :gabigrin: I've been at the same job for 10 years, so most people don't comment any more. And my family is happy as long as I'm happy. (I know that my mom, dad and sister, who are now deceased, would like my hair now too!)

kamikaze hair
September 16th, 2011, 10:23 AM
If you want to grow it long, go for it, enjoy it. Who cares what others think :D (thats right ANNA WINTOUR, I'M TALKIN' TA YOU!!!! you and your crazy posse of short haired anorexic skeletons who are continually deteriorating the mental images of many future female generations)

ilovelonghair
September 17th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I was thinking, it takes a very long time to grow hair mega long, I'm talking past tailbone. So if you decide to grow it very long, isn't natural that some women will be 'older' by the time they reach that goal? :) I once saw this older lady on one of those disgusting make over programs and she had floor lenght. How long would that have taken her? She probably was young when she started. And then the idiots cut it off :( You know what I liked to have seen: a really amazing intricate updo!

Madora
September 17th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I was thinking, it takes a very long time to grow hair mega long, I'm talking past tailbone. So if you decide to grow it very long, isn't natural that some women will be 'older' by the time they reach that goal? :) I once saw this older lady on one of those disgusting make over programs and she had floor lenght. How long would that have taken her? She probably was young when she started. And then the idiots cut it off :( You know what I liked to have seen: a really amazing intricate updo!

You said it, ilovelonghair! Those "makeover" idiots only know how to reach for the shears! It takes real artistry to create a hairstyle for that length hair. Long hairstyling talent is a rare commodity in this short haired world!

GoatLady
September 17th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I wish it WAS taboo. That would make me want to do it even more.
I enjoy being contrary. :wigtongue

Charybdis
September 17th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I agree with EdG upthread that nothing says "old lady" like the short cut with poodle perm. My mother keeps her hair short and it's naturally curly -- so she gets a poodle-y effect without the perm. Personally, I think it's aging. HOWEVER, I also know that my mother likes having short hair and has had short hair her whole adult life, so why on earth should she try and fool with longer hair now? At least she embraces the silver hair and doesn't dye it some weird artificial color. My mom's sister keeps her hair in a super-duper short Annie Lennox-style pixie, and that actually looks chic because it's at least a statement.

*My* younger sister, by contrast, gave up on short hair after trying it out in her teens; she decided that her wurly hair was just easier to manage with length to weigh it down, and she's been very consistent in keeping her hair long since then. She's said repeatedly that, when she gets old, many years from now, she's going to be the old-lady-with-a-bun archetype. I think that's where I'm headed as well, at this point. Short hair is just too much freakin' maintenance, and I am not interested in going to the hairdresser every 5-6 weeks. Heaven help any people who make comments to me about long hair not being appropriate for women over 30, or whatever other nonsense!

QueenJoey
September 17th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I don't understand that. I'm a teen, and I dream of being that grandmother with the white hair flowing down to my ankles. There's something so beautiful about long hair on an older woman. I think it makes her look wiser.

moon2dove
September 17th, 2011, 09:09 AM
In the West, there seems to be a bit of a taboo about having/growing really long hair as you get older. Women seem to be expected to get their hair cut short as though once you hit a certain age you're not supposed to care about looking nice or doing things that make you feel good.

I really want to grow my hair very long (maybe to tailbone, not sure yet) and I am just starting out on my journey from APL hair. I am 36 and will be 37 in February. I know this is probably ludicrous but do any of you older ladies get comments about having long hair as you get older? I'm probably just being silly but I feel like the media and culture make it almost taboo to have long hair well into your 40s/50s/60s.

Personally I always think older women with long hair look very sexy and feminine and there is something slightly medieval/romantic about the look, especially older women with long white hair.

I hope the west has a more positive attitude to 'older women' having long hair! I have lived here, in the west of the UK for a year now, no one has said or hinted that it's not a good idea to have long hair as i'm an 'older woman' . If they did, I wouldn't cut my hair and bow down to ignorance. I am my own person and I WILL pick and choose what length I wear my hair!:D :D:D
IT'S MY HAIR SO :p TO THEM :p:p:p:p

ilovelonghair
September 17th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Also pure white hair on young people! I once saw a very young woman with beautiful pure white hair (it didn't look artificial, it's fashion now to color your hair grey/white) that was long and I was amazed at the beauty.

Quetiepi
September 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Also pure white hair on young people! I once saw a very young woman with beautiful pure white hair (it didn't look artificial, it's fashion now to color your hair grey/white) that was long and I was amazed at the beauty.

How do you do this? I looked online and couldn't find gray hair dye. I would so love to color over the blonde and be totally natural looking.

Elenna
September 17th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I love an older woman with long hair. My hope is to have long gray hair someday. I do think the most flattering length is for the hair to hit just above the curve a your waist, on any age but especially as we age. As our face begins head south it helps to have our long hair cut to a more uplifting length with some simple layers around the face. Too long and everything about us looks dragged down. This isn't true for everyone, just my personal opinion for myself and most of the lovely long haired older women I see. That said, 37 is not "older" - it's just getting started!

An older person's looks have nothing to do with their hair. Whether a person's face goes "south" is not true for everyone because it is more about that person's overall health & genetics. As for long hair, I'm in my fifties and take "darn good" care of my hair. It's neat, clean, natural (gray & brown), in good condition, styled a bit, and long. It doesn't "drag" anything down.

moon2dove
September 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM
An older person's looks have nothing to do with their hair. Whether a person's face goes "south" is not true for everyone because it is more about that person's overall health & genetics. As for long hair, I'm in my fifties and take "darn good" care of my hair. It's neat, clean, natural (gray & brown), in good condition, styled a bit, and long. It doesn't "drag" anything down.

Well said!:blossom:

catamonica
September 17th, 2011, 03:07 PM
In S CA most older women have bra length hair. Or shorter. Im keeping my waist length hair.
I heard in N CA more older women wear it long. You should wear your hair how ever you
want. Age does not matter.

Cassie 123
September 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM
In S CA most older women have bra length hair. Or shorter. Im keeping my waist length hair.
I heard in N CA more older women wear it long.

Only on LHC would BSL be considered to be anything other than long! :laugh:

We do have a fair amount of long hair around here, but I don't see much in the nearby retirement community (Leisure World). Short hair was the fashion during the younger years of today's septuagenarians and beyond, so I don't think most of them are making unwanted compromises. Anyhow, at that point in life one tends not to give a damn what other people think.

jojo
September 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Gotta admit, I can understand the impulse to cut it to avoid the reminder of aging. Hair just coarsens up and thins as you age (well mine has anyway, although I've noticed other women say theirs is unchanged). So I've got this big long mass of it now that's just not as pretty as it would have been at this length in my youth.

Yet my skin is also not as pretty, my a** is also not as pretty, what am I going to do? Can't cut those off.

Main thing is, despite it all, I still think long hair just looks better than short hair.

Excellent! I think the trend is to have plastic surgery ha ha not doing that either! When will people get it, we don't grow our hair long to look younger, we actually prefer it.

jojo
September 17th, 2011, 06:47 PM

so true. I think shorter hair draws more attention to peoples facial features.

julliams
September 17th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I think it probably has more to do with practicality. I'm going to assume that most older women dye their hair, and I'm also going to assume that many of them do it at home with a box dye or go to a salon. So I'm also then going to assume that it would be easier to change a colour, or continue to colour on hair that is shorter.

I think older women feel that shorter hair gives them a lift. So it probably has more to do with how they feel for themselves rather than what society thinks people should do. I think it's very much up to the individual. Some look great with long hair and others look great with it short.

Elle
September 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I live in Southern California and I wear my hair down most of the time while out. It's not uncommon for people to stop me to ask about my hair. They're always complimentary and often are curious about the time it takes to maintain it. Many people think I must buy tons of shampoo and conditioner. :D The most common question I get is, "How long did it take you to grow it that long?" or "Have you ever cut it??" The last one always cracks me up because my hair grows an average of 1/2" per month. If my husband didn't trim it regularly, it'd probably be three times as long as it is now. :D

So, if there are people around who think women over 40 should keep their hair short, they're sure not the ones approaching me.

Demetrue
September 17th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I think there is a prejudice towards older women in general - like once you are not young and fertile, then you are not allowed to look sexually attractive OR if you are older, then you couldn't possibly be sexually attractive, therefore, you are uselessly taking up space on the planet and you become an object of derision. Basically, you will either be criticized for trying too hard/trying to look young OR for letting yourself go/not fighting the aging process. (Like anything we do to our superficial appearance can really halt the passage of time!) A woman's worth is still judged on perceived sexual attractiveness ...

Elle
September 17th, 2011, 11:02 PM
--- Basically, you will either be criticized for trying too hard/trying to look young OR for letting yourself go/not fighting the aging process.
Unfortunately, I think this is true, too. :(

minaa
September 18th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I've spoken to my grandmother about it as well as other women who prefer shorter hair, and they seem to be perfectly fine with it so long as an older woman with long hair maintains it. So, it seems that the fear is that it will get matted and unmanageable! That disgusts anyone. I want to be that older artsy woman, with dignified long grey tresses. When I mentioned that to them, they were fine--"Just so long as you keep it in shape!" they said. ;]

Lamb
September 18th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Threads like this irk me no end.

Why do we take it for granted that older women have short hair against their will? Most women who are 60+ today grew up (and were young) in an age when having a wash&set every week was the norm. All they do now is stick to what they've been doing all their lives.

Those short and permed hairstyles people like to mock here as "poodle perms" and "dandelion heads" etc. were the height of fashion in the 1950s. Older women wearing the hairstyles of their youth... what is wrong about that? :confused:

And as for what kind of hairstyles make people :puke: - I think we can do very well without statements like that.

Cassie 123
September 18th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Lamb, the primary intention of this thread is not to criticize the chosen hairstyles of the most elderly segment of our population but rather to discuss how it feels for women who are moving into the second half of life to go against the norms for that age group. The posts by Jojo and Dulce illustrate this perfectly.

kitschy
September 18th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Threads like this irk me no end.

Why do we take it for granted that older women have short hair against their will? Most women who are 60+ today grew up (and were young) in an age when having a wash&set every week was the norm. All they do now is stick to what they've been doing all their lives.

Those short and permed hairstyles people like to mock here as "poodle perms" and "dandelion heads" etc. were the height of fashion in the 1950s. Older women wearing the hairstyles of their youth... what is wrong about that? :confused:

And as for what kind of hairstyles make people :puke: - I think we can do very well without statements like that.

Most of us who are moving into our older years grew up in the 60's and early 70's. Perhaps that is why there are more "older" women who are willing to forgo dyes and perms, and opt instead for the naturalness and freedom of long, gray hair - I guess we are still hippies at heart.:cloud9:

dulce
September 18th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Kitschy,good point,it seems a lot of the negativity I get is from those women in their 70's up[previous generation to me]Demetrue,well said!Once we get older, we do get invisible/sexless in our society thanks to north america's media/fashion preoccupation with youth. TV shows,billboards,movies, commercials,they all portray youthful sexy images.Plastic surgery is also on the rise due to the pressure people feel.When I attended the all female group cardio gym classes,most were younger gals,just a few of us over 50 there.Some young ladies
were friendly but some not, I noticed if I tried to say a comment to some of them,they would look through me or look away.Definitely felt my age gap there and not due to any exercise limitations.

The_Redhead
September 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I wish it WAS taboo. That would make me want to do it even more.
I enjoy being contrary. :wigtongue

Ok...you're forbidden to grow your hair long. :)

Hmm, does anyone now hear Homer Simpson's voice saying "mmm, forbidden hair..." ?

Shannon

Tealpuffin
September 18th, 2011, 02:52 PM
My gran used to have her washed and set every week and she reached a point where she realised it was too much hassle. She still has short hair but it is In much better condition now she doesn't get it permed. On the other hand, before my nan died, she had lovely black shoulder length hair nd she always gave me her hair slides and pins for my hair. I think that as long as hair is in good condition, it doesn't matter on what age they are and what the length is. x

duchesswannabe
September 19th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Kitschy,good point,it seems a lot of the negativity I get is from those women in their 70's up[previous generation to me]Demetrue,well said!Once we get older, we do get invisible/sexless in our society thanks to north america's media/fashion preoccupation with youth. TV shows,billboards,movies, commercials,they all portray youthful sexy images.Plastic surgery is also on the rise due to the pressure people feel.When I attended the all female group cardio gym classes,most were younger gals,just a few of us over 50 there.Some young ladies
were friendly but some not, I noticed if I tried to say a comment to some of them,they would look through me or look away.Definitely felt my age gap there and not due to any exercise limitations.

A word of comfort: I have found that people in groups or pairs, whatever age, can come across as standoffish. If you get them one on one, you can have an interesting conversation, or at worst, a blank look because they may be feeling shy or fresh from another town/nation and are finding their "sea legs." When I was young most reasons I may not have approached or paid more attention to an older woman is because I may have been observing her methods for approaching a situation and found myself lacking or found her social skills way above mine; in other words, I may have found her level of sophistication or life experience intimidating. That can make for avoidance. When you're young, in short, sometimes you feel as if the older people are sizing you up, as well, and some people are very upfront about their critique of you and your style or experience. And if you are in a group, the momentum of the group can pull you away from getting to know other people outside of the group.

Yes, there is a definite MEDIA preoccupation with youth. I think if you got into many people's innermost thoughts they may actually envy or admire you despite your perception of what society wants from you.

dulce
September 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks duchesswannabe,that puts a more comforting perspective on it.I would never have thought of that.

natural80
September 19th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I plan to have WL hair when I get old. My dad told me that his mom used to sit down and comb her hair in her hands. Her braid would fall into her lap.

JuliaDancer
September 19th, 2011, 12:45 PM
check out this lame-o article.

http://beauty.about.com/od/beautybyageteensto50/a/hairages.htm

That article is pretty silly. Each one says, "you don't have to cut your hair short at this age!" or "you don't have to have long hair at this age!" And I think they define shoulder length as "long"... It seems to recommend cutting your hair short for every age except your 20s...

SarahKayfa
September 19th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Lame. According to this article, next year or two I should be going in for my 'mom cut.' And I apparently need layers, lots of layers...

Cassie 123
September 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
That article is pretty silly. Each one says, "you don't have to cut your hair short at this age!" or "you don't have to have long hair at this age!" And I think they define shoulder length as "long"... It seems to recommend cutting your hair short for every age except your 20s...

What really got to me in the article was that showing silver hair wasn't even considered as an option until we are past 60 years old! That's three decades of hair dye! And even after that, the best they could muster up was "silver hair can be very sexy." Really? The best thing they could think of to say is "sexy"? :rolleyes: I'm only in my thirties but I'd still like to think that I'm old enough for my hair to not necessarily have anything to do with sex.

kettle
September 19th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but I wanted to pipe in purely because this subject came up between my best friend and I only a couple of days ago. She's forty, and has been trying to grow her hair for a good while (in her terms, this seems to mean shoulder length max). We were discussing my hair, and she commented that it "worked" for me because I'm young. It turns out that she has really strong feelings about older women with long hair - mostly around it always being wirey, unhealthy, thin, and just plain wrong. I was really surprised - I fully intend to be one of those long haired older women myself. I think long hair on older women, especially silver/white hair, is just beautiful. I've seen plenty of thoroughly healthy-looking heads of long grey hair on women right here in York. And if long hair is unhealthy or uncared for, it probably won't look great no matter your age! In the end we had to agree to disagree, but I found it quite difficult.

Each to their own where hair is concerned, always; I just find this sort of judgementalism hard to swallow, especially coming from my best friend, who already seems to be considering herself in this bracket of those "banned" from long hair in her mind.

ilovelonghair
September 19th, 2011, 02:13 PM
How do you do this? I looked online and couldn't find gray hair dye. I would so love to color over the blonde and be totally natural looking.

Go to google images and search for 'white hair fashion' and you see a lot of examples (although some are wigs) of people who dyed their hair gray or white.

I googled for how it's done and apparently they dye it as blonde as possible and then put Manic Panic purple over it. Purple to counter effect the yellow in the bleached hair. But it doesn't sound right to me! That would turn purple anyway I think.
ETA: Manic Panic Virgin Snow White Toner. That sounds more like it LOL.

Olga-Freya
September 21st, 2011, 10:42 PM
I supposed that I should cut off my hair when I will be 40 years old (or even 35) before I joined LHC. Now I really love my hair and don't tend to cut it just becouse someday I become too old to have long hair. I think that healthy and thick (I hope that my would still thick, like that my mom and grannie has) hair in a suitable updo is beautiful in every age.
But of course I can't say that I never would cut off my hair. If I gonna do it someday, I'll do it only because I whant so.

templeofvenus
September 22nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
I am 40 now and in the process of growing my hair- sod the age thing lol

roundforest
September 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
The writer of the beauty.about.com article has an absolute obsession with layers! Layers for every hair type at every age!

No one has yet told me I'm too old for my hair, but I will be prepared to ignore them when they do.