PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner ingredients - Help needed

Kiwiwi
September 15th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Hey people!

I have been mostly CO washing for the last 6 weeks. I've used one conditioner and I think I love it a lot. I plan to bulk up on it as I'm not sure if my supplier will keep... supplying it and I just love it a lot.

I do wonder if this conditioner will be good for my hair in the long run, since it's only been 6 weeks.
I also wonder if this conditioner is good enough for deep treatments (plenty moisturizing ingredients, etc).

So my question is; can anyone with lots of knowledge on ingredients tell me which ingredients are particularly good and which are maybe bad, which are ok, etc. Does it have cones (I think not), does it have protein?

Thanks in advance! :cheese:
(excuse my english, it's not my main language)

Conditioner:
Petal Fresh Organics - Volumizing Rosemary Conditioner
Ingredients:
Water (aqua), Brassica alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol, Behentrimonium methosulfate, Helianthus Annuus (*Organic - sunflower) seed oil, Cetyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol, Cetrimonium bromide, Soyamidopropalkonium chloride, Babassuamidopropalkonium chloride, Orbignya oleifera (Babassu) seed oil, Glycerine, Rosemarinus officinalis (*Organic - Rosemary) leaf extract, Urtica dioica (Nettle) extract, Camellia sinensis (*Organic - Green tea) leaf extract, Equisetum arvense extract, Glycine (Soybean) seed extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) fruit oil, Tocopheryl acetate (Vitamin E) salvia officinalis (Sage) leaf extract, Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) seed extract, Phanthenol (Provitamin B5), Cetrimonium chloride, Aspartic acid, Retinyl palmitate (Vitamin A), Phenoxethanol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric acid, Fragance (Parfum)

More about my hair and wants:
I am a 3a/3b curly so no drying stuff wanted.
I want to CO, don't want cones.
Don't want sulfates.
Want moisture.

Hypnotica
September 15th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Hey people!

I have been mostly CO washing for the last 6 weeks. I've used one conditioner and I think I love it a lot. I plan to bulk up on it as I'm not sure if my supplier will keep... supplying it and I just love it a lot.

I do wonder if this conditioner will be good for my hair in the long run, since it's only been 6 weeks.
I also wonder if this conditioner is good enough for deep treatments (plenty moisturizing ingredients, etc).

So my question is; can anyone with lots of knowledge on ingredients tell me which ingredients are particularly good and which are maybe bad, which are ok, etc. Does it have cones (I think not), does it have protein?

Thanks in advance! :cheese:
(excuse my english, it's not my main language)

Conditioner:
Ingredients:
Water (aqua), Brassica alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol, Behentrimonium methosulfate, Helianthus Annuus (*Organic - sunflower) seed oil, Cetyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol, Cetrimonium bromide, Soyamidopropalkonium chloride, Babassuamidopropalkonium chloride, Orbignya oleifera (Babassu) seed oil, Glycerine, Rosemarinus officinalis (*Organic - Rosemary) leaf extract, Urtica dioica (Nettle) extract, Camellia sinensis (*Organic - Green tea) leaf extract, Equisetum arvense extract, Glycine (Soybean) seed extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) fruit oil, Tocopheryl acetate (Vitamin E) salvia officinalis (Sage) leaf extract, Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) seed extract, Phanthenol (Provitamin B5), Cetrimonium chloride, Aspartic acid, Retinyl palmitate (Vitamin A), Phenoxethanol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric acid, Fragance (Parfum)

More about my hair and wants:
I am a 3a/3b curly so no drying stuff wanted.
I want to CO, don't want cones.
Don't want sulfates.
Want moisture.

"Volumizing" usually means that the conditioner isn't too rich in the moisturizing department so you may want to find a nice, thick and rich conditioner as a second conditioner or deep treatment.

This conditioner does not contain cones or proteins to my knowledge.

Not erveryone likes glycerine though. For some, it is drying but if you live in a humid climate it is probably not an issue.

headtrip_honey
September 15th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Overall I'd say that this looks like a good conditioner for CO - light, with a mild sulfate ingredient in it (I know you said you don't want sulfates, but the sulfate in this conditioner is VERY mild, and supposedly good for curly hair...it's not SLS or anything!).

I'd probably use this as your "cleansing" conditioner, and find a heavier, more moisturizing conditioner to follow with, especially since you're a curly girl. :)

Khiwanean
September 15th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I don't see any cones or proteins.

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Found this-
Methylisothiazolinone is a known neurotoxin. In 2004, the European Scientific Committee on Cosmetic Products and Non-Food Products Intended for Consumers (SCCNFP) suggested that companies limit the maximum concentration to 0.01% (100 ppm). However, US companies are not required to follow this guideline. It is known to be absorbed through skin. A study at the Pittsburgh School of Medicine concluded that "Prolonged exposure to low levels of MIT and related compounds may have damaging consequences to the developing nervous system."

Before investing in a supply of this stuff, maybe you should try some more natural conditioners for COwashing. I am searching for the perfect one myself.

By the way, your English is excellent, far better than many native speaker's.

Hypnotica
September 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Found this-
Methylisothiazolinone is a known neurotoxin. In 2004, the European Scientific Committee on Cosmetic Products and Non-Food Products Intended for Consumers (SCCNFP) suggested that companies limit the maximum concentration to 0.01% (100 ppm). However, US companies are not required to follow this guideline. It is known to be absorbed through skin. A study at the Pittsburgh School of Medicine concluded that "Prolonged exposure to low levels of MIT and related compounds may have damaging consequences to the developing nervous system."

Before investing in a supply of this stuff, maybe you should try some more natural conditioners for COwashing. I am searching for the perfect one myself.

By the way, your English is excellent, far better than many native speaker's.

Good that her nervous system is not developing then :)
I recommend using conditioners that are containing preservatives to keep the nasty stuff out.

Kiwiwi
September 15th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks, everybody for the feedback! :blossom:

@headtrip_honey
I understand that Behentrimonium methosulfate is not a sulfate.
It is a surfactant.
More info: Behentrimonium methosulfate is the mildest hair-detangling ingredient available. It is made from non-genetically modified rapeseed oil. This scientifically sophisticated ingredient is renowned for its superior detangling ability, without causing build-up on the hair. Unlike other hair detanglers, which are known for their irritancy, behentrimonium methosulfate is extremely mild, being recommended for use in baby products which are left on the skin. It is superior in effectiveness and mildness to its commonly used cheaper cousin, behentrimonium chloride. It is not a sulfate.

I do indeed use this as my cleansing conditioner. I don't really feel the need to follow with a heavier, more moisturizing conditioner. My hair feels good already. But I think I will still try because maybe then my hair will feel amazing and I would have never known :p
Thank you for your feedback!

@julierockhead
I have indeed already looked at Methylisothiazolinone. And it worried me a little bit. I will look into it more and make up my mind about it.
Thanks for your feedback and the compliment on my English! :grin:

I will try to find a deeper, thicker, richer conditioner for deep treatments and as a second conditioner.
I think I will keep using this conditioner and educate myself a bit more on the ingredients and then bulk up.

Merci!!

headtrip_honey
September 15th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks, everybody for the feedback! :blossom:

@headtrip_honey
I understand that Behentrimonium methosulfate is not a sulfate.
It is a surfactant.
More info: Behentrimonium methosulfate is the mildest hair-detangling ingredient available. It is made from non-genetically modified rapeseed oil. This scientifically sophisticated ingredient is renowned for its superior detangling ability, without causing build-up on the hair. Unlike other hair detanglers, which are known for their irritancy, behentrimonium methosulfate is extremely mild, being recommended for use in baby products which are left on the skin. It is superior in effectiveness and mildness to its commonly used cheaper cousin, behentrimonium chloride. It is not a sulfate.

I do indeed use this as my cleansing conditioner. I don't really feel the need to follow with a heavier, more moisturizing conditioner. My hair feels good already. But I think I will still try because maybe then my hair will feel amazing and I would have never known :p
Thank you for your feedback!

Just for clarification, many sulfates are surfactants. A surfactant (which is a category that contains many different chemicals) is anything that acts as a cleansing or foaming agent (in hair care, anyway). SLS, for example, is one of the most well known surfactants, but also a very harsh sulfate.

I'm not sure what you're quoting (I've seen it quoted all over the internet, but can't find where it originated. I think when people say "it is not a sulfate," they say so because sulfates have gotten such a bad rap. They don't want you to be scared away thinking it's like SLS), but behentrimonium methosulfate is indeed a sulfate. It's not a harsh sulfate, but still a sulfate. It's also a conditioning agent and an antistatic agent.

Sulfate is what it is, chemically. Surfactant is what it does once it's in use. :)

Kiwiwi
September 15th, 2011, 09:05 AM
@headtrip_honey

Ohh, interesting! Thank you for clearing that up! I already thought it was weird that it was supposedly not a sulfate but it's IN the name! =/

I love learning so much about hair and hair care ingredients, etc. Awesome to learn!

headtrip_honey
September 15th, 2011, 09:21 AM
@headtrip_honey

Ohh, interesting! Thank you for clearing that up! I already thought it was weird that it was supposedly not a sulfate but it's IN the name! =/

I love learning so much about hair and hair care ingredients, etc. Awesome to learn!

No problem! I know way more than I should about ingredients in skin care/hair care.

MychelleC
September 15th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Hey people!

Conditioner:
Ingredients:

This conditioner should work fine for co-washing. The behentrimonium methosulfate is a cationic conditioning emulsifier, meaning it adsorbs (bonds to) the damaged parts of hair that hold a negative charge. The sunflower seed oil is pretty high on the ingredient list for a volumizing conditioner, making me think this is mostly BTMS and water with the rest of the ingredients in smaller percentages - which is a good thing, especially if volume is your goal. For deep conditioning treatments I would use something more intense. The alcohols are all fatty acid alcohols, which will boost the substantivity and conditioning power of the cationic ingredients (methosulfate, bromide, and chlorides). The cetrimonium bromide and chlorides are also cationic, and they will soften and condition while the glycerin and panthenol act as humectants (draw moisture into the hair shaft). The oils soften. The extracts look nice on the label but don't do much for hair as they are rinsed away. Nonetheless you have a nice, medium emolliency conditioner that should make your hair very happy!

To clarify, all emulsifiers are actually surfactants (materials that emulsify fats) but not all are cleansing. BTMS (behentrimonium methosulfate) is not a "sulfate" in the sense that it is not a SODIUM sulfate. Sodium sulfates (i.e. sodium lauryl suflate) are the ingredients that many find too drying or irritating. BTMS offers no cleansing at all but is a wonderful conditioning agent; I wouldn't use a conditioner without it.

Lastly, the preservative Methylisothiazolinone is contraindicated for use in leave-on products only. It has been shown to be a sensitizer, but only at higher usage levels (preservative are used at 0.35-1% of a formulation and never more). While many skin types can tolerate this preservative even in a leave-on, it is typically used in rinse off products where it does not have time to absorb through skin. I think you are safe as long as you don't drink this product or use it as a lotion, but acceptable preservatives are always a personal choice.

Whew! That was fun - give me another! HTH! :)

headtrip_honey
September 15th, 2011, 09:33 AM
EDIT: for stupidity. I misread what I was replying to.

annieangel149
September 15th, 2011, 09:34 AM
This conditioner should work fine for co-washing. The behentrimonium methosulfate is a cationic conditioning emulsifier, meaning it adsorbs (bonds to) the damaged parts of hair that hold a negative charge. The sunflower seed oil is pretty high on the ingredient list for a volumizing conditioner, making me think this is mostly BTMS and water with the rest of the ingredients in smaller percentages - which is a good thing, especially if volume is your goal. For deep conditioning treatments I would use something more intense. The alcohols are all fatty acid alcohols, which will boost the substantivity and conditioning power of the cationic ingredients (methosulfate, bromide, and chlorides). The cetrimonium bromide and chlorides are also cationic, and they will soften and condition while the glycerin and panthenol act as humectants (draw moisture into the hair shaft). The oils soften. The extracts look nice on the label but don't do much for hair as they are rinsed away. Nonetheless you have a nice, medium emolliency conditioner that should make your hair very happy!

To clarify, all emulsifiers are actually surfactants (materials that emulsify fats) but not all are cleansing. BTMS (behentrimonium methosulfate) is not a "sulfate" in the sense that it is not a SODIUM sulfate. Sodium sulfates (i.e. sodium lauryl suflate) are the ingredients that many find too drying or irritating. BTMS offers no cleansing at all but is a wonderful conditioning agent; I wouldn't use a conditioner without it.

Lastly, the preservative Methylisothiazolinone is contraindicated for use in leave-on products only. It has been shown to be a sensitizer, but only at higher usage levels (preservative are used at 0.35-1% of a formulation and never more). While many skin types can tolerate this preservative even in a leave-on, it is typically used in rinse off products where it does not have time to absorb through skin. I think you are safe as long as you don't drink this product or use it as a lotion, but acceptable preservatives are always a personal choice.

Whew! That was fun - give me another! HTH! :)

:D woah! you are soooo good at this! you clever lady xx :bounce:

Kiwiwi
September 23rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Wow, thanks so much !!
That was sooo interesting!
I love learning about ingredients!