PDA

View Full Version : The worlds largest natural afro

Aliped
September 15th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Aevin Dugas from New Orleans is the proud owner of the largest natural afro, with a circumference measuring 4ft 4in

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2011/sep/15/guinness-world-records-2012-pictures#/?picture=379009073&index=8

jessie58
September 15th, 2011, 12:28 AM
That is one gorgeous head of hair!

Tealpuffin
September 15th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Love it! :D x

seaj
September 15th, 2011, 04:38 AM
That's some amazing hair!

Kiwiwi
September 15th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Oh, wow! Awesome!
It suits her so well! :)

maria_asa
September 15th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Lovely. It looks great on her.

newbeginning
September 15th, 2011, 05:11 AM
That is awesome.

kitschy
September 15th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Wonderful!

Yame
September 15th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Beautiful! I love afros... wish I'd see them more often!

serious
September 15th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Omg!
I want that hair!!!!

spitfire511
September 15th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Not only is the hair awesome, but I seriously love the dress. LOL! :)

CurlyMopTop
September 15th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Wow! She's got one gorgeous head of hair!! :thud:

bratz81
September 15th, 2011, 06:44 AM
wow that's awesome!!

Aredhel77
September 15th, 2011, 06:46 AM
She looks lovely. But holy smoke! Did anyone flick through the photos and see the women with the longest tongue and the longest fingernails...? That scared me a bit...

CastaDiva
September 15th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Gorgeous hair!

wooliswonderful
September 15th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Wow, she's beautiful! Sometimes those Guinness pics are a little scary. It's nice to see a pretty one. :)

Magicknthenight
September 15th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Her and her hair look amazing :grin:

She looks lovely. But holy smoke! Did anyone flick through the photos and see the women with the longest tongue and the longest fingernails...? That scared me a bit...

I did! I thought their was another lady with super long nails like that but read she was in a car crash and lost them? I wonder how the longest nail person had to adjust. I know the previous lady with nails like that showed people how to handle toilet paper and it was pretty simple. Maybe how simple their answers to questions about everyday life are like our "how do you use the bathroom with your hair" question long hairs sometimes get. Still...even when people say their probably adjusted to having nails that long its on your hands...so that seems a lot more complicated. My nails get long but usually get caught on something or in the way. This person must have nails of steel. :wacko:

lara grace
September 15th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Saw her on TV this morning. I didn't think it seemed THAT big, I was surprised that it was the worlds biggest.

CornishMaid
September 15th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Beautiful hair!

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Love it, looks so good on her, but can you imagine the upkeep?shudder:

lizdini
September 15th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Sounds heavy. But it looks nice on her!

sun-kissed
September 15th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Woah, it suits her wonderfully!

archel
September 15th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Fabulous Fro!!!!

proo
September 15th, 2011, 09:20 AM
How does one maintain a healthy afro? Is it put up mostly in a protective do?

dementedkitten
September 15th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Fantastic!

ilovelonghair
September 15th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Her and her hair look amazing :grin:

I did! I thought their was another lady with super long nails like that but read she was in a car crash and lost them? I wonder how the longest nail person had to adjust. I know the previous lady with nails like that showed people how to handle toilet paper and it was pretty simple. Maybe how simple their answers to questions about everyday life are like our "how do you use the bathroom with your hair" question long hairs sometimes get. Still...even when people say their probably adjusted to having nails that long its on your hands...so that seems a lot more complicated. My nails get long but usually get caught on something or in the way. This person must have nails of steel. :wacko:

Couple of years ago a man in India helt the record for the longest nails, only on one hand and he kept them covered in a bag. How he did daily things, he answered his wife did everything :( I think he used the nails as excuse.

I wonder how someone starts the idea of growing nails that long, don't they break at a certain point or you'd get tired of them?

The afro is amazing! Love afro's!

ilovelonghair
September 15th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Love it, looks so good on her, but can you imagine the upkeep?shudder:

Maybe the same as floor lenght hair? I guess very careful combing. Maybe it doesn't tangle as badly as we think?

MsBubbles
September 15th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Along the lines of world records...I clicked on this article earlier today about a girl 'juggling' 5 basketballs upside down using her hands and feet. But my gosh, her hair is absolutely gorgeous!

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201109/juggling-five-basketballs-using-feet-upside-down

BlazingHeart
September 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Her hair is definitely lovely, but I'm doubting that is really the biggest 'fro out there. When I was in jr high I went to school with a guy whose 'fro, if I remember correctly, was actually larger than that. It was HUGE.

~Blaze

Cowgirl16
September 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Wow! She ROCKS that afro :)

PinkyCat
September 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Far out!
(a little big hair humor)

C.H.
September 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Saw her on TV this morning. I didn't think it seemed THAT big, I was surprised that it was the worlds biggest.

Me, too. Lovely hair, but it seems like their must be several bigger fros out there somewhere. Perhaps I'm not appreciating just how much hair it takes to create a fro of that size. But I'm thinking some women with long natural hair could create a fro bigger than that if they wanted to. But maybe most of them simply choose not to style their hair in that way. Or maybe her hair is unique in that it's a strong enough 4 and/or fine enough to actually create a uniform fro at that length whereas weaker 4s, the hair starts to weigh itself down too much after a certain length and they can't achieve that spherical shape anymore.

oktobergoud
September 15th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Love it :D
(and have to agree that it doesn't look THAT big to me.. I have seen someone before with a fro that big!)

LittleOrca
September 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Love it! She is gorgeous!

kaelle
September 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Aevin Dugas from New Orleans is the proud owner of the largest natural afro, with a circumference measuring 4ft 4in

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2011/sep/15/guinness-world-records-2012-pictures#/?picture=379009073&index=8

Soo pretty, and I love the color...for some reason I was expecting it to look much bigger. Still gorgeous.

Becky Safari
September 15th, 2011, 01:23 PM
That is way too cool

Cassie 123
September 15th, 2011, 01:26 PM
It looks gorgeous!

Am I the only one lol'ing at the "super wan wan" dog circus? XD :rollin:

slz
September 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
*I'm crazy like a fool - what'bout daddy cool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m78YkHqEFk)*
Oh my I'd wear a mullet over this horrendous thing any day of the week, man. Not even over my dead body.
Boney M rocks though <o/ \o/ \o>

MinderMutsig
September 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Me, too. Lovely hair, but it seems like their must be several bigger fros out there somewhere. Perhaps I'm not appreciating just how much hair it takes to create a fro of that size. But I'm thinking some women with long natural hair could create a fro bigger than that if they wanted to. But maybe most of them simply choose not to style their hair in that way. Or maybe her hair is unique in that it's a strong enough 4 and/or fine enough to actually create a uniform fro at that length whereas weaker 4s, the hair starts to weigh itself down too much after a certain length and they can't achieve that spherical shape anymore.
I think she's just the first or one of the first people to contact the Guinness World Record people to measure her fro. They don't actively go out searching for someone with a bigger afro. If you want to claim the record then you have to contact them.

I agree I expected something bigger but it's still impressive and it looks beautiful on her!

C.H.
September 15th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I think she's just the first or one of the first people to contact the Guinness World Record people to measure her fro. They don't actively go out searching for someone with a bigger afro. If you want to claim the record then you have to contact them.

I agree I expected something bigger but it's still impressive and it looks beautiful on her!

That's exactly what I was thinking. People with long natural hair probably aren't running around begging Guiness to measure their afros. But now that her picture has been published I wouldn't be surprised if more people come out of the woodwork, like hells no--I can beat that!

MinderMutsig
September 15th, 2011, 02:12 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. People with long natural hair probably aren't running around begging Guiness to measure their afros. But now that her picture has been published I wouldn't be surprised if more people come out of the woodwork, like hells no--I can beat that! I hope so!
Can't wait to see them.

CurlyCap
September 15th, 2011, 02:21 PM
You have to remember that a natural afro isn't the same as the hairstyle. A large afro is a LOT of hair because it demands that the hair dry naturally and form it's tightest curl pattern after the hair has been cut so that it is all the same length. Some people "pick out" their hair to style it into afro, but they are stretching their natural curl pattern. This is much easier to achieve than having natural curls that form that big of a puff.

All that said, I've known people with larger natural afros (their hair is usually past their butt when straightened), but they usually wear it in braids. I think this lady has the records just because she asked to be measured.

MinderMutsig
September 15th, 2011, 02:27 PM
*I'm crazy like a fool - what'bout daddy cool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m78YkHqEFk)*
Oh my I'd wear a mullet over this horrendous thing any day of the week, man. Not even over my dead body.
Boney M rocks though <o/ \o/ \o> Did you just call afro's horrendous things or am I reading your post wrong?

slz
September 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM

C.H.
September 15th, 2011, 02:37 PM
You have to remember that a natural afro isn't the same as the hairstyle. A large afro is a LOT of hair because it demands that the hair dry naturally and form it's tightest curl pattern after the hair has been cut so that it is all the same length. Some people "pick out" their hair to style it into afro, but they are stretching their natural curl pattern. This is much easier to achieve than having natural curls that form that big of a puff.

All that said, I've known people with larger natural afros (their hair is usually past their butt when straightened), but they usually wear it in braids. I think this lady has the records just because she asked to be measured.

So if you use a pick it doesn't count?

MinderMutsig
September 15th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I suppose I'm entitled to my opinion about afros (obviously I think it's a very ugly hairdo, unless you live in the 70s and are into disco), just as much as you might think a mullet is the epitome of unflattering and so on - a matter of perspective, heh. Sure you are entitled to your opinion. I don't understand why you would express it in such a way on a site that is entirely dedicated to embracing natural hair and long hair but whatever floats your boat.

You realize that type 4b/c hair grows out like that and automatically forms an afro when it gets longer right? I guess those of us with that horrendous hair type should just stop trying to grow long hair or beat it to death with heat and chemicals to make it acceptable.

slz
September 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM

C.H.
September 15th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I share your feelings Mindy. It's one thing not to like a particular hairstyle, but to say that someone's well-cared for hair in its natural state is "horrendous" if not outright offensive, is certainly hurtful and insensitive.

pepperminttea
September 15th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I love it on her, it's such an impressive mane! I can only wonder how long it must be wet/stretched. Any type 4s want to have a guess? :D

C.H.
September 15th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Not necessarily, we have plenty of examples here on LHC. On the contrary I'm pretty sure for most it requires quite a bit of styling.

I'm not sure what you think 4b/c hair does as it gets longer, but unless you manipulate it in some way, it's going to grow outward, in whatever direction the follicle is facing, not down. I'm sure she does some maintenance to keep it looking neat, but that's about it. Most of the 4 b/c members you are thinking of have probably manipulated their hair in some way. Nothing wrong with that, but they shouldn't have to be told they look horrendous if they choose not to. At least, not here.

slz
September 15th, 2011, 03:06 PM

CurlyCap
September 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
So if you use a pick it doesn't count?

A more familiar examples is comparing two people with curly 3b hair. Waist length straight and waist length curly are different. Clearly, waist length curly is much longer than waist length straight. A curly head who straightens their hair to waist length is different from someone who wears her hair curly and it's still waist length.

It's the same idea, but more extreme, because natural hair (type 4) is super curly, so much so that from a distance the curls aren't seen and seem more like a cloud. If you pick out your hair it straightens/stretches it, making it look long. A natural "puff" is unstretched and so represents a lot more hair.

That's all I was getting at. I've certainly brushed my hair into an afro. I like it. Makes it look like I have a lot of hair!

C.H.
September 15th, 2011, 03:21 PM
A more familiar examples is comparing two people with curly 3b hair. Waist length straight and waist length curly are different. Clearly, waist length curly is much longer than waist length straight. A curly head who straightens their hair to waist length is different from someone who wears her hair curly and it's still waist length.

It's the same idea, but more extreme, because natural hair (type 4) is super curly, so much so that from a distance the curls aren't seen and seem more like a cloud. If you pick out your hair it straightens/stretches it, making it look long. A natural "puff" is unstretched and so represents a lot more hair.

That's all I was getting at. I've certainly brushed my hair into an afro. I like it. Makes it look like I have a lot of hair!

I entirely understand the concept of a picked vs unpicked afro and streching out the curls. What I am asking is, if someone used the aid of a pick to achieve their fro, does that disqualify them from competing for the guiness title? Is it somehow not considered a "natural afro" if they use a pick? Cause up til now I wasn't aware that there was an official distinction.

Helix
September 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Her fro is sooo lush! I've seen other pics of her hair where it's been picked out bigger. She's got to be pushing hip - tailbone with that much hair.

It's not the biggest fro I've seen but she probably had the biggest fro out of all the people who applied for Guinness.

I realize not everybody is down for fros but often it is people who have never rocked one that feel that way so...meh?. People who say fros are only designated for the 70's disco era are more more than likely from that era themselves and have a different mindset. IMO the fro is timeless. It is retro yet futuristic all at the same time, so to each his own. My hair naturally grows into the general shape of a fro and I always get a big smile on my face when I walk out the shower...it's so cute and flufffeeee!

I can appreciate the beauty in all hairtypes and am perfectly happy with my hair. Thus, I don't feel the need to put down others to make myself feel adequate.

Just my .02 cents.

Juanita
September 15th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Love it. I think afros are gorgeous.

curlymarcia
September 15th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Her hair rocks. It's so pretty and it looks like she has lot of hair.

bluesnowflake
September 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM
wow! Her hair is beautiful and it really suits her.

Of the Fae
September 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Wow, that is just awesome! And it looks so good on her

pink.sara
September 15th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I love love love her fro.

When I was a teenager I permed my hair on pipecleaners to have a really tight curl I could brush out into a fro, it never took in my super straight hair though :(

Fro's rock :)

CurlyCap
September 15th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I entirely understand the concept of a picked vs unpicked afro and streching out the curls. What I am asking is, if someone used the aid of a pick to achieve their fro, does that disqualify them from competing for the guiness title? Is it somehow not considered a "natural afro" if they use a pick? Cause up til now I wasn't aware that there was an official distinction.

Oh! I have no idea. :poot:

Maybe someone else around here will!

constancev18
September 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
She has a beautiful afro.

DonyaleM
September 15th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I like her fro!!

Helix
September 15th, 2011, 04:52 PM
How does one maintain a healthy afro? Is it put up mostly in a protective do?

As long as you keep your hair moisturized you won't have much trouble wearing a fro. If your hair is dry don't even try to wear a fro - moisture is key. A styled afro is not something I would personally wear every single day because of the manipulation factor. But every once in a while, sure. She doesn't always wear a fro, either...

In an online interview Aevin did, she says it only takes her about 5 minutes to detangle all that hair. She uses a lot of conditioner. Detangling afro hair these days is not as time consuming as it may have been in the past. We have a lot more products and knowledge, (hello internet!), at our disposal that our mothers may not have had access to in the past. When you know what you're doing it's actually pretty low maintenance.

DonyaleM
September 15th, 2011, 04:59 PM
In an online interview Aevin did, she says it only takes her about 5 minutes to detangle all that hair. She uses a lot of conditioner. Detangling afro hair these days is not as time consuming as it may have been in the past. We have a lot more products and knowledge, (hello internet!), at our disposal that our mothers may not have had access to in the past. When you know what you're doing it's actually pretty low maintenance.

Wow only 5 minutes to detangle..that's impressive!!!

MinderMutsig
September 15th, 2011, 05:03 PM
5 minutes?! I wish I could do it that fast. That's amazing.

MinderMutsig
September 15th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Someone on Naturally Curly posted a video of an interview with her.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/impact_asia/9592191.stm

It looks bigger than it did in the picture!

supbanana
September 15th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Along the lines of world records...I clicked on this article earlier today about a girl 'juggling' 5 basketballs upside down using her hands and feet. But my gosh, her hair is absolutely gorgeous!

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201109/juggling-five-basketballs-using-feet-upside-down

WOW. At first I was speechless, but then I had to pass this on to FB. This lady also has lovely hair!

The lady originally posted is beautiful and has fabulous hair!

MinderMutsig
September 15th, 2011, 05:27 PM
WOW. At first I was speechless, but then I had to pass this on to FB. This lady also has lovely hair!

The lady originally posted is beautiful and has fabulous hair!

I think it's the same lady isn't it?

jamesw
September 15th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Really suits her!

ravenreed
September 15th, 2011, 05:42 PM
She looks stunning in that dress and her hair looks like a halo. Lovely!

irishlady
September 15th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Absolutely beautiful! :)

DakarNick
September 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Oh my I'd wear a mullet over this horrendous thing...

I'm sure that Afro-wearing woman would feel the same about green hair.

jojo
September 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Thats one big fro! reminds me of a bush my gran used to have. Looks lovely.

jojo
September 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM

Yeah I did eurgh those nails are disgusting, she must be a lady of leisure and the tongue woman did you notice her tip wasn't pointed but flat; very bizarre!

I personally liked the skipping dogs, they were cool!:cool:

MsBubbles
September 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I personally liked the skipping dogs, they were cool!:cool:

Yeah I laughed pretty hard at the skipping dogs.

:puppykisses:

adiapalic
September 15th, 2011, 08:47 PM
She looks so classy!

Kyla
September 15th, 2011, 08:52 PM
:afro: That is gorgeous! And such a great excuse to use the afro smiley...

adiapalic
September 15th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I suppose I'm entitled to my opinion about afros (obviously I think it's a very ugly hairdo, unless you live in the 70s and are into disco), just as much as you might think a mullet is the epitome of unflattering and so on - a matter of perspective, heh.

Sorry. I'm having a little trouble seeing the point in this being said at all.

I see styles on here I don't prefer all the time... but I don't go around busting someone's bubble in a mean way.

Since you seem unaware: It is possible to share opinions with slightly more grace than what has been shown here.

:shrug:

jojo
September 15th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Yeah I laughed pretty hard at the skipping dogs.

makes me wanna go and buy me a couple of dozen dogs and a big skipping rope

slz
September 16th, 2011, 12:19 AM

C.H.
September 16th, 2011, 12:25 AM

It does look way bigger! It's like you can barely see her face.

C.H.
September 16th, 2011, 12:35 AM
This is the point (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78289) - oh my do you people only ever read one thread on a forum or what - I'd have thought repeated hints about MULLETS would have been enough to, well, give a hint.

I wish more people would be aware of this, too.

I did get the hint. But two wrongs don't make a right. I chose not to take part in that other thread so I don't see what bearing it should have on my opinion on this matter. It seems like you're implying that anyone who has a problem with what you said is some kind of hypocrite.

longhairedlady
September 16th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Wow! Stunning and amazing!

Automne
September 16th, 2011, 12:40 AM
She looks beautiful. To me afros look hot.

(People are free to express their opinions but to me it's not right to bring people's hair down. I am sure fewer African girls would relax their hair if people didn't make fun of them. I am not judging girls with relaxed hair, all my sisters relax their hair. It's just my naive opinion.)

tolly
September 16th, 2011, 05:13 AM

I have type 4 hair and its remarkably difficult to grow because it breaks very easily. That's part of the reason a lot of women chemically process their hair, and those with long natural type 4 hair wouldn't leave it in afro frequently if at all, it has a propensity to tangle, at only 5inches if I go with an afro for just one day, it takes hours to untangle my hair.

tolly
September 16th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Oh my I give up - I suppose my Sublte Mullet Hint was really too subtle after all :rolleyes:.

Don't you see that this is not the same thing, a mullet is a hair cut...an afro is what my hair does when I wash it, the effort to make it look like what you see on the site is a lot of manipulation....I can see other people have stated this earlier but you really don't see what you wrote as offensive......you could have stated you don't like afros if you really needed to comment on this thread but to use the word 'horrendous' wasn't necessary.

pepperminttea
September 16th, 2011, 06:39 AM
In an online interview Aevin did, she says it only takes her about 5 minutes to detangle all that hair.

Five minutes! :agape: Mine often takes longer than that! That's almost as impressive as her hair itself. Major kudos to her.

C.H.
September 16th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Five minutes! :agape: Mine often takes longer than that! That's almost as impressive as her hair itself. Major kudos to her.

Right? That almost more shocking than the hair. Heh, that's LHC for you.

She did say she uses a ton of conditioner. I was hoping they'd ask her how long her hair was stretched, but no such luck.

adiapalic
September 16th, 2011, 09:10 AM

She looks fabulous with it in these dresses she wears too. I would love to see what she looks like in her other styles as well. I bet it's a dramatic transformation. In my mind, I've always associated afros on women with strength. They always look so bold and confident.

This is the point (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78289) - oh my do you people only ever read one thread on a forum or what - I'd have thought repeated hints about MULLETS would have been enough to, well, give a hint...

Firstly, your posts in this thread are contentious and antagonistic. Here, you separate us from yourself and round us up with "you people" and then then proceed to ridicule us as ignorant buffoons who amuse you. Graceful, indeed.

...I wish more people would be aware of this, too.

Then the best thing for you to do would be to set an example of how opinions can be shared without using language that is offensive or disrespectful. The first thing that came to my mind (and it appears C.H.'s as well) is "Two wrongs don't make a right."

I did get the hint. But two wrongs don't make a right. I chose not to take part in that other thread so I don't see what bearing it should have on my opinion on this matter. It seems like you're implying that anyone who has a problem with what you said is some kind of hypocrite.

HappyHair87
September 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I aspire to have my fro that big:)

Although my hair is more of a 3c/4a type....it becomes a big juicy yet curly fro (naturally) if i don't put gel in it....i LOVE it!!! I actually had my hair in a stretched-out braidout fro the other day! I LOVE it...the bigger my fro gets lets me know that my hair has gotten longer.

I love my fro hair tho...its MAD versatile!!

AnnaJamila
September 16th, 2011, 10:35 AM
That's beautiful, but is it really 4 feet?? I guess I was picturing 4 feet going out either side, lol.

That really suits her face nicely!

PixxieStix
September 16th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Wow she must take good care of all that! Simply gorgeous, I love getting to see something a little different and yet completely lovely. :) She wears it well!

kamikaze hair
September 16th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I am so loving that fro!!! its the best ever. Plus it really suits her, she looks so cool, and sexy!!

P.S. Did anyone else think JAN BRADY from the brady bunch movie?! :D

irishlady
September 16th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Watched the interview now. She looks amazing! The afro really suits her and looks so cool and unique. Love it :)

TrudieCat
September 16th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I share your feelings Mindy. It's one thing not to like a particular hairstyle, but to say that someone's well-cared for hair in its natural state is "horrendous" if not outright offensive, is certainly hurtful and insensitive.

I'm not sure what you think 4b/c hair does as it gets longer, but unless you manipulate it in some way, it's going to grow outward, in whatever direction the follicle is facing, not down. I'm sure she does some maintenance to keep it looking neat, but that's about it. Most of the 4 b/c members you are thinking of have probably manipulated their hair in some way. Nothing wrong with that, but they shouldn't have to be told they look horrendous if they choose not to. At least, not here.

Very well said. :flower:

Elenna
September 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I like that it is her natural hair & texture. And she didn't straighten the living daylights out of it.

It looks like a lovely cloud, but she must spend a lot of time getting it even. I bet if it were stretched out, her hair would be classic length or longer.

PeaceLoveHair
September 16th, 2011, 05:58 PM
wow, awesome!!

cuddledumplin
September 16th, 2011, 06:03 PM
That's beautiful.

greentealeaf
September 16th, 2011, 06:07 PM
She's beautiful and the hair just works with her!

Áine
September 16th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I suppose I'm entitled to my opinion about afros (obviously I think it's a very ugly hairdo, unless you live in the 70s and are into disco), just as much as you might think a mullet is the epitome of unflattering and so on - a matter of perspective, heh.

Gee, with such a vote of encouragement, I wonder why there aren't more natural Type 4 hairs around these parts. </end sarcasm>

Millions of people with this hair type have hair that looks just like this when left in its natural state. Your hair type when combed in its natural state hangs downward. Would it be appropriate for someone to speak about you in an uncivilized manner for that natural attribute?

Yame
September 16th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I aspire to have my fro that big:)

Although my hair is more of a 3c/4a type....it becomes a big juicy yet curly fro (naturally) if i don't put gel in it....i LOVE it!!! I actually had my hair in a stretched-out braidout fro the other day! I LOVE it...the bigger my fro gets lets me know that my hair has gotten longer.

I love my fro hair tho...its MAD versatile!!

I hope you will share some photos with us! Afros are so cool!

cmg
September 16th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Great hair that afro. Beautiful, and it suits her so well.

Her hair is definitely lovely, but I'm doubting that is really the biggest 'fro out there. When I was in jr high I went to school with a guy whose 'fro, if I remember correctly, was actually larger than that. It was HUGE.
~Blaze
Yeah. There are a lot of records in the book, that are not the biggest, largest etc. And some that were, have in turn been removed. The book is rather dissapointing these days.

Couldn't stop laughing when I saw the woman with the blue tongue. Hilarious!

*I'm crazy like a fool - what'bout daddy cool*
Boney M rocks though <o/ \o/ \o>
Ohhh, those were the days ... remembering listening to theese guys back then. But I trashed my vinyls already in the seventies when I heard about him beating his ladies.

Agreed, I think everyone is entitled to an opinion. Who is to tell me what my personal preference is? Thats why we are all different and love different things. My hair looks like that in parts if I dont manipulate it and I'm not affended at all.
Having said that, there will always be hairstyles that look good on some and bad on others. Perhaps the word "horrendous" was abit much, but it was not directed towards anyone directly.

..... they should be free to do so without searching for anybody's validation.
Exactly. And as long as this was not said to the womans face, why bother? *Expecting everyone who has friends with blue tongues to do angry postings*

Strangely, some people here seem to think some hairstyles are OK to bash to death and others are not. Go figure.Hmm, I noticed that too. And whats wrong with green hair? Another personal preference thats OK to bash?

cmg
September 16th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Her fro is sooo lush! I've seen other pics of her hair where it's been picked out bigger. She's got to be pushing hip - tailbone with that much hair.
I'm not so sure about that. They aren't very big curls with large diameters. Exept for the top part (it grows thinner there) I've kept a wide cloud like hers for a while and it was only just past BSL. I pulled a friends hair and it was also not that long. Perhaps a 4 can tell us for sure.

Only 5 minutes detangling? Wow, she knows what shes doing.

IMO the fro is timeless.Absolutely.

...I always get a big smile on my face when I walk out the shower...it's so cute and flufffeeee! Sounds Great :)

Thus, I don't feel the need to put down others to make myself feel adequate.
Just my .02 cents.I dont think anyone has done that here IMHO. If you feel this way reading this, then you have trouble with your self esteem, not your hair.

(People are free to express their opinions but to me it's not right to bring people's hair down. I am sure fewer African girls would relax their hair if people didn't make fun of them. I am not judging girls with relaxed hair, all my sisters relax their hair. It's just my naive opinion.)
Whats your point? Is it any easier on people with straight hair that wish for more volume like someone posing on the fashion magazines? Or someone with curly hair that get teased at scool and struggle all their lives to get it straight? I think you are a bit short sighted here. Everyone wants to look better, this is not an afro thing.

Firstly, your posts in this thread are contentious and antagonistic. Here, you separate us from yourself and round us up with "you people" and then then proceed to ridicule us as ignorant buffoons who amuse you. Graceful, indeed.
Oh please, relax. I can't see this at all. Stop the witchhunt now.

adiapalic
September 16th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I'm not so sure about that. They aren't very big curls with large diameters. Exept for the top part (it grows thinner there) I've kept a wide cloud like hers for a while and it was only just past BSL. I pulled a friends hair and it was also not that long. Perhaps a 4 can tell us for sure.

Only 5 minutes detangling? Wow, she knows what shes doing.

Absolutely.

Sounds Great :)

I dont think anyone has done that here IMHO. If you feel this way reading this, then you have trouble with your self esteem, not your hair.

Whats your point? Is it any easier on people with straight hair that wish for more volume like someone posing on the fashion magazines? Or someone with curly hair that get teased at scool and struggle all their lives to get it straight? I think you are a bit short sighted here. Everyone wants to look better, this is not an afro thing.

Oh please, relax. I can't see this at all. Stop the witchhunt now.

Darlin'... you sure need to put on your seein' eyes. :rolleyes:

Ashenputtel
September 16th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I LOVE fros. I saw a woman today with gorgeous natural hair. She had it in a gigantic ponytail. Looked awesome.

I'm not sure if the lady from the picture will keep the record, bot eitherway she looks great.

princessp
September 16th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Don't you see that this is not the same thing, a mullet is a hair cut...an afro is what my hair does when I wash it, the effort to make it look like what you see on the site is a lot of manipulation....I can see other people have stated this earlier but you really don't see what you wrote as offensive......you could have stated you don't like afros if you really needed to comment on this thread but to use the word 'horrendous' wasn't necessary.

Very well said.

This woman is super glamorous wow! It doesn't look like 4 ft to me either. For some reason I thought 4ft would look "ginormous", but it does not look over the top at all.

cmg
September 16th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Darlin'... you sure need to put on your seein' eyes. :rolleyes:
adiapalic: I am not your darlin' and if you wish to communicate some sort of point here then you have to put more substance in your post.

Helix
September 17th, 2011, 01:20 AM

Um...I am a 4...4b actually...

ETA: The tighter the curl the more length is hidden. Case in point: Here is a girl with type 4 hair that has been blown out/stretched but not fully stretched. At first glance it looks like her hair is just below her shoulders but when she stretches out a section at minute 1:44 it reaches her waist, (pulling the hair doesn't even show her full length. If she straightened it she'd probably gain a few more inches).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41zxXOg262Y&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL4A5F744F3893AF7B

Now that you've seen that, keep in mind that the Aevin Dugas (women mentioned in this post) has hair that huge but it is done on picked out UNSTRETCHED hair. Now imagine what her blown out or straightened hair looks like.

I'm a little past APL now and my hair still shrinks up to about 3.5 - 4 inches when wet. Which reminds me I'll have to do a shrinkage comparison pic one of these days...

Anywho, I hope that explains the reasoning behind my guess.

Helix
September 17th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I dont think anyone has done that here IMHO. If you feel this way reading this, then you have trouble with your self esteem, not your hair.

Thanks for taking the time to dissect my entire post and analyze it bit by bit (looks like I unintentionally struck a cord with you). I don't believe I set out on a witch hunt on anybody. All I basically said was that she probably has a different mindset from my own and that I happen to like afros, lol. I never said she wasn't entitled to her opinion...but thanks for the laughs :).

slz
September 17th, 2011, 06:06 AM

lacefrost
September 17th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Whoa! I want that!

ETA: Her hair must be pretty long. If you look at my sig pic, that was my afro when my hair was BSL.

tinti
September 17th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Oh, that is a fantastic looking fro! I've allways wanted one, because then I could do the tin teeny braids and twists :D hihi.

Diamondbell
September 17th, 2011, 08:29 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41zxXOg262Y&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL4A5F744F3893AF7B

Now that you've seen that,......

I just saw it! Amazing hair going up to the waist. :)

Neneka
September 17th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I like afros. :D I wish I had one.

adiapalic
September 17th, 2011, 08:36 AM
adiapalic: I am not your darlin' and if you wish to communicate some sort of point here then you have to put more substance in your post.

Relax.

Actually I don't particularly dislike afros anymore than mullets, and my opinion really wasn't the point : I was trying to make a point about what was happening in the mullet thread and I believe the comparison IS pertinent : both are hairstyles with a very heavy connotation that is set in time and mainly negative in most people's minds : both seen as outdated thus funny, afro screams disco just as much as mullet screams redneck. When I came to this thread after having read the mullet one with an increasingly gaping jaw at the free-for-all mentality with mostly nobody even blinking a single eye at it, I couldn't help but notice the difference since in my book these two hairstyles are of the same kind and elicit the same kind of responses, obviuosly it wasn't the case here and the difference was blatant. I believe what "you" (you = people getting upset at my harshly worded opinion) did on this very thread, should have been done just the same in reply to every rude post on that other thread. Even moreso that instead of bashing some guinness record grown up woman like I did here, there it was all directed at a 15 old girl sharing with people she felt safe share with.

So, what I have to apologize for is for having replied to one thread in another one, in a way I thought was very obvious but appears not to have been to most people. Which, by the way, makes me even sadder after the way the mullet thread's OP was treated : it was not that nobody noticed hat she was repeatedly crapped on for hours because nobody reads the threads before replying : it was just that most people thought it was OK to do so, or else they'd have reacted just the way they reacted here towards me.

I was pretty horrified at the thread after you made note of it. I don't think people should ever be so mean to anyone, much less a well-mannered 15 year old. The OP handled things much better than I would have. I think the mullet thread is under control now, thankfully.

Thanks for putting this post out there, slz.

lacefrost
September 17th, 2011, 08:42 AM
snip

So, what I have to apologize for is for having replied to one thread in another one, in a way I thought was very obvious but appears not to have been to most people. Which, by the way, makes me even sadder after the way the mullet thread's OP was treated : it was not that nobody noticed hat she was repeatedly crapped on for hours because nobody reads the threads before replying : it was just that most people thought it was OK to do so, or else they'd have reacted just the way they reacted here towards me.

I understand why you did this and thanks for pointing to the other thread but I think it could have been done a bit better. In this case I think we should've been given the benefit of the doubt. Don't judge us by the people who posted in that thread. Many of us don't dedicate a lot of time to surfing LHC so we miss things. I for one didn't even see the thread until you linked. And if I had seen the thread title myself, I probably wouldn't have clicked it, just because I'm not particularly interested in mullets. I think how she was treated was wrong and I'm amazed at the grace she had when she responded. I wouldn't have responded as well.

MinderMutsig
September 17th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I understand why you did this and thanks for pointing to the other thread but I think it could have been done a bit better. In this case I think we should've been given the benefit of the doubt. Don't judge us by the people who posted in that thread. Many of us don't dedicate a lot of time to surfing LHC so we miss things. I for one didn't even see the thread until you linked. And if I had seen the thread title myself, I probably wouldn't have clicked it, just because I'm not particularly interested in mullets. I think how she was treated was wrong and I'm amazed at the grace she had when she responded. I wouldn't have responded as well.

This.

Also, two wrongs don't make a right and if you wanted to address what you perceived to be a double standard there are better ways of doing that. For one you could just say in that thread(or this or both or a brand new thread): "this is a double standard and here is why and I have a problem with the way you are treating this young girl". Insulting someone else or a group of people in a totally unrelated thread does not do anything to help address the problems going on in another thread.

You are obviously articulate enough to get your point across so use your words instead of lashing out at others who had nothing to do with the topic you were mad about.

I hadn't seen that thread and had I seen it I probably wouldn't have clicked it because like lacefrost I'm not interested in mullets. I agree that the way they treated that girl in that thread was disturbing. The only reason I didn't say anything is because by the time I saw that thread (after you pointed it out) the tone of the thread had changed, people apologized for being so rude and I thought it would be best to not to contribute to keeping the thread going by responding to it.

The reason I responded to your post here the way I did is because I think it was borderline racist and if something bothers me I'm going to speak up about it to the people involved. I'm still not sure if you understand the difference between calling a hairstyle ugly or calling a hairtype (one that is mostly seen in 1 ethnicity) ugly or horrendous. Hairstyle is a choice, hairtype is what we are born with. You must realize that hating on kinky curly 'nappy' afro hair has a serious negative history and that, fair or not, that subject is more sensitive than saying you don't really like henna, floor length hair, green hair, pixie cuts or mullets.

That said, I understand the point you were trying to get across and appreciate your clarification. Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. :)

QueenOfTheSkye
September 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Holy moly! That is big hair!

cmg
September 17th, 2011, 06:50 PM
... the difference between calling a hairstyle ugly or calling a hairtype (one that is mostly seen in 1 ethnicity) ugly or horrendous. Hairstyle is a choice, hairtype is what we are born with.
My point was it is not a hairstyle and/or hair type occuring only for people with obvious african ascent. Just like all red heads are not from Ireland, nor are all Irelanders redheads and there are blonds whith brown skin too that have an indigenous ethnicity. In a serious, unbiased discussion, it would never had turned into a discussion about race but remained about hairstyle.

ETA: The tighter the curl the more length is hidden. Case in point: Here is a girl with type 4 hair that has been blown out/stretched but not fully stretched. At first glance it looks like her hair is just below her shoulders but when she stretches out a section at minute 1:44 it reaches her waist, (pulling the hair doesn't even show her full length. If she straightened it she'd probably gain a few more inches).

It looks like her hair stretches like 25-30 &#37; or something. My thought about this were if you have hair with 1 inch wide curls and compare it to this girl (she looks great BTW, and I liked the way she looked without the curls much better! So happy and fluffy) the person with the oneinch curls would have longer hair. Each lock would hide more length, given it were tight enough.

Now that you've seen that, keep in mind that the Aevin Dugas (women mentioned in this post) has hair that huge but it is done on picked out UNSTRETCHED hair. Now imagine what her blown out or straightened hair looks like.Good point

And after putting on my stronger glasses, I saw the bolded text I didnt see before in adiapalic's posting. But I still disagree with this hairstyle being a solely "african ascent" business.

slz: I am right with you there. I felt the same way.

Thanks for taking the time to dissect my entire post and analyze it bit by bit (looks like I unintentionally struck a cord with you).
Oh no! :bigeyes: I'm really sorry if it seemed like I singled you out somehow, this was not my intention at all. I just felt this entire thread barged ahead into a very strange direction and I felt I had to say something about the whichhunt, as I percieved it.

And a person who happens not to like the way afro style hair looks, will certainly not change his or her opinion after being trashed on, on a board.

...but thanks for the laughs .I can't see anything funny here and I generally dont laugh at other peoples opinions.

You must realize that hating on kinky curly 'nappy' afro hair has a serious negative history and that, fair or not, that subject is more sensitive than saying you don't really like henna, floor length hair, green hair, pixie cuts or mullets.
I disagree, for above mentioned reasons. Jewish hair or arabian or australian or whatever hair would also have a history. But since this board is populated mainly with people residing on the american continent, there IS an issue (For me as a scandinavian/german, this is an observation from the outside). This discussion would never happen in any of the countries where I lived. And for me as a scientist, I would also not have a problem with calling my and others ethnicity by its proper scientifical name. But if I mentioned this on a mainly american board, I would be lynched immediately. I am trying not to offend anyone, but this is not easy. It can happen totally out of the blue, and us Europeans have no clue sometimes what the problem is. I actually dont know how to put some things in wording, because of this. In my country, or in my own family for that matter, this is not an issue among the black people.

So can we discuss hair now, eh? :)

jamesw
September 17th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Wow! I'm speechless....

MinderMutsig
September 18th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I disagree, for above mentioned reasons. Jewish hair or arabian or australian or whatever hair would also have a history. But since this board is populated mainly with people residing on the american continent, there IS an issue (For me as a scandinavian/german, this is an observation from the outside). This discussion would never happen in any of the countries where I lived. And for me as a scientist, I would also not have a problem with calling my and others ethnicity by its proper scientifical name. But if I mentioned this on a mainly american board, I would be lynched immediately. I am trying not to offend anyone, but this is not easy. It can happen totally out of the blue, and us Europeans have no clue sometimes what the problem is. I actually dont know how to put some things in wording, because of this. In my country, or in my own family for that matter, this is not an issue among the black people.

So can we discuss hair now, eh? :)

Not offending when it comes to racist statements is quite easy actually. Don't make racist statements.

It's really not that hard. Ask why someone is offended by a statement. Apologize if you were wrong, explain and discuss if after clarification you still feel you were right. Apologize for it if something did slip out that you weren't aware it was racist or could be perceived that way.

My pasty faced, white assed, blue eyed, blond, European self manages quite nicely to prevent herself from being racist and finds the "oh but I am European and we do things differently here" a very weak argument. You can be sure I would have argued you about this on a German, Scandinavian, French or Dutch board too and I would also have done so if the subject matter wasn't black but Semite, Asian or any other ethnicity.

cmg
September 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Not offending when it comes to racist statements is quite easy actually. Don't make racist statements.
If this were easy for everyone, noone would have to become offended ever. I myself, with genes from several ethnic groups that were, and still are, persecuted for different reasons, this is all to obviuous.

My pasty faced, white assed, blue eyed, blond, European self manages quite nicely to prevent herself from being racist and finds the "oh but I am European and we do things differently here" a very weak argument. You can be sure I would have argued you about this on a German, Scandinavian, French or Dutch board too and I would also have done so if the subject matter wasn't black but Semite, Asian or any other ethnicity. Assuming everyone belonging to a certain ethnic group feels exactly the same way is also preconcieved. There are enough people out there who believe of themselves that they are not having any preconceptions or racist beliefs, when in fact they have. The problem is perhaps an educational one also. I meet people all the time, who don't have a clue because they are not a part of that history today any more, whereas I lived it and watched many of my people being persecuted, tortured and killed. But, speaking for myself, I wish to move on and live today. Being offended all the time doesn't help anyone to a better understanding of the worth of another fellow human being. Communication will help.

proo
September 18th, 2011, 06:43 AM
How is a big fro treated at night? Is it put up?
How long does it "last"?

MinderMutsig
September 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
So let's recap.

First the excuse was that it was the same thing as criticizing a hairstyle.
It's just personal preference.
I'm from another continent and it's OK here.
We'll maybe it's not OK on this continent either but it is in my area > social circle > my best friend is *insert ethnicity here* and he doesn't mind.
Not everyone of that ethnicity finds it offensive hence it's not racist.
You are oversensitive.
And I'm pretty sure that if we continue the last one will be that it wasn't intended to be racist thus it's not racist.

I get it. It's not easy to admit that maybe something you thought was an innocent remark could come off as racist. It's not easy to admit to yourself (let alone others) that maybe you hold some racist ideas. I know I have struggled with that in the past and still do when it comes to certain topics.

I don't doubt that these remarks were not done with malicious intent and out of some deep seeded hatred for other ethnicities and that you are overall 'good people'. I'm asking you to think about it and explained why I think these remarks could be perceived as racist. I've done so in the most polite and sensitive tone I could muster because I do think it was done unknowingly and unintentional. You don't need to defend yourself because I'm not attacking you. I'm questioning the statement.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps you are.

I'm fine with leaving it at that and don't want to derail the thread any further so unless someone wants me to respond to their post I'll consider the matter closed.

McFearless
September 18th, 2011, 07:32 AM
:afro: That is gorgeous! And such a great excuse to use the afro smiley...

You beat me to it! Haha. I just love afros.

In2wishin
September 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM
That's beautiful, but is it really 4 feet?? I guess I was picturing 4 feet going out either side, lol.

That really suits her face nicely!

The circumfrence is 4 feet, 4 inches which measures just under 17" across (diameter)

Buddaphlyy
September 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I think her hair is awesome. I love the color. They didn't say whether her hair was measured completely shrunken or styled that way, but based on the pictures, it appears to be the latter. I doubt she has the worlds biggest afro, but I also don't think all the world's afro-wearers probably knew about the contest. This seems to be a new record.

I also can totally see how it only takes 5 minutes to detangle her hair. A lot of conditioner means something totally different to a person with type 1-2 hair than to a type 4. She probably doesn't wear an afro every single day and she detangles once a week.

JaneinMarch
November 11th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Very cool! Thanks for posting this.

owlathena
November 11th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Also in the slideshow: "The most dogs skipping on a rope is 13, achieved by Uchida Geinousha's Super Wan Wan circus in Japan"

Thats adorable!

Amber_Maiden
November 11th, 2011, 07:12 PM
That is so beautiful!!! :D SO COOL!

blondie9912
November 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Amazing hair!

holothuroidea
November 11th, 2011, 08:03 PM
She is so beautiful and her hair is fantastic! I admire her dedication, it takes a lot of work to grow hair like that.

coffinhert
November 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I think people who call afros ugly don't have a full understanding of history. Afro texture is how many african americans' hair looks if you grow it naturally. I'm pretty sure to not have hair like that, or similarly curly, you have to do straightening treatments. That is just natural hair. Afros are soft to the touch. What is in style, and has been for a long time, is treatments to make african american hair look unnatural texture.

Having a stereotype about disco doesn't make you not racist.. It just makes you ignorant.. I'm sorry but that's how I see it. Afros are not a dead style. Have you heard of Macy Gray? I would hypothesize that afros were associated with the disco period because African Americans were celebrating their natural physical appearance during the unprecedented in the CIVIL RIGHTS ERA with the Brown decision in 1954, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Voting Rights Act in 1965??

There is a long long history of african american women trying to make their hair look caucasian, and yes, it is a racism issue. A black girl in my college english class once gave a quite long presentation about various issues surrounding black women's hair and I wish I could remember it all.

In Malcolm X's autobiography: "“I spent my first month in town with my mouth hanging open. The sharp-dressed young “cats” who hung on the corners and in the poolrooms, bars and restaurants, and who obviously didn’t work anywhere, completely entranced me. I couldn’t get over marveling at how their hair was straight and shiny like white men’s hair; Ella told me this was called a “conk.” " ... "You'll see the conk worn by many, many so-called "upper class" Negroes, and,as much as I hate to say it about them, on all too many Negro entertainers. One of the reasons that I've especially admired some of them, like Lionel Hampton and Sidney Poitier, among others, is that they have kept their natural hair and fought to the top. I admire any Negro man who has never had himself conked, or who has had the sense to get rid of it — as I finally did.

I don't know which kind of self-defacing conk is the greater shame--the one you'll see on the heads of the black so-called "middle class" and "upper class," who ought to know better, or the one you'll see on the heads of the poorest, most downtrodden, ignorant black men. I mean the legal-minimum-wage ghetto-dwelling kind of Negro, as I was when I got my first one. It's generally among these poor fools that you'll see a black kerchief over the man's head, like Aunt Jemima; he's trying to make his conk last longer, between trips to the barbershop. Only for special occasions is this kerchief-protected conk exposed — to show off how"sharp" and "hip" its owner is. The ironic thing is that I have never heard any woman, white or black, express any admiration for a conk. Of course, any white woman with a black man isn't thinking about his hair. But I don't see how on earth a black woman with any race pride could walk down the street with any black man wearing a conk — the emblem of his shame that he is black.To my own shame, when I say all of this, I'm talking first of all about
myself — because you can't show me any Negro who ever conked more faithfully than I did. I'm speaking from personal experience when I say of any black man who conks today, or any white-wigged black woman, that if they gave the brains in their heads just half as much attention as they do their hair, they would be a thousand
times better off." excerpt in greater length here (https://sites.google.com/a/nd.edu/ryans/sound-and-the-fury/theconk). There's a forum discussion of Malcolm X's views on conking here (http://sbrandt.weebly.com/3/post/2008/04/first-post.html).

Sesame Street video "I love my hair" with an african american girl. This was all over the news when it came on the air, black women reported seeing it and crying, wishing someone had told them to love their black hair when they were children. According to NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130653300), the Sesame street guy came up with the idea because his adopted black daughter didn't have any hair role models.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enpFde5rgmw

On a non political note, that is a cool afro but I have a hard time believing it's the biggest one?

holothuroidea
November 11th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Let's just make perfectly clear that afro hair is not a hairstyle. Saying afro hair is horrendous is like saying wide noses are horrendous or fine hair or being over 6' tall. It insults a very large group of people for doing nothing except being born that way. In this case it insults a group of people who have endured quite enough.

Slz, I'm sure you didn't realize it when you posted it but this is the reason people were so upset with your post. It is also an issue that many Americans are especially sensitive to and there are a lot of Americans on this board.

That having been said, people haven't exactly been nice to Slz either. It was clearly not her intention to make a racist statement and even though she has not exactly apologized I don't think she meant to offend anyone. We all make mistakes.

And speaking of making mistakes, I don't think bringing up that Mullet thread was a very kind thing to do. People behaved pretty badly but let's not further embarrass people who have apologized by rubbing their noses in it.

mommyof2boys
November 11th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I have type 4 hair and its remarkably difficult to grow because it breaks very easily. That's part of the reason a lot of women chemically process their hair, and those with long natural type 4 hair wouldn't leave it in afro frequently if at all, it has a propensity to tangle, at only 5inches if I go with an afro for just one day, it takes hours to untangle my hair.

It's not difficult to grow at all. That's a BIG myth. Chemical processes do not grow hair. In fact, they can actually hinder growth, if not properly maintained. With proper research, all hair can grow in a healthy manner.

BrennalaRosa
November 11th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Wowzers! That's some hair!

2peasinapod
November 11th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Avoiding the political discussion to add another "I love her hair!". It really suits her. Also, I love the dress she's wearing. :)

Bill D.
November 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Cool hair! :cool:

both are hairstyles with a very heavy connotation that is set in time and mainly negative in most people's minds : both seen as outdated thus funny, afro screams disco just as much as mullet screams redneck.

I'm not going to tackle the mullet issue but I do have something to say about the above comment regarding Afros, as unlike some others I am old enough to remember those times from personal experience.

Afros became popular among African-Americans (and a few members of other racial/ethnic groups) in the mid-1960s and remained popular until the mid/late 1970s. During most of that period disco did not even exist yet or at least had not yet become popular. In fact, by the time disco became big in the U.S. the Jheri curl was starting to become popular among African-Americans and Afros were old hat.

Equating Afros with disco is just plain ahistorical, to put it gently. If you want a cultural reference for Afros, think of Jimi Hendrix, Angela Davis, or the original hippies. Think of the Black Panthers or the musical "Hair", not the movie "Saturday Night Fever". Different eras, different aesthetics, different music, different sensibilities. Different hair, too.

As for me, I like and miss Afros which used to be common when I was young, but I can't stand disco.

Bill D.

pennyroyal
November 12th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Afros are so awesome! I wish i could grow one. Hers is amazing!!! The color of her hair is gorgeous as well.

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 02:19 PM
(Sorry, looong post)

Equating Afros with disco is just plain ahistorical, to put it gently.
I disagree, for reasons I will explain later, giving you an europeans point of wiew. I'm not equating it, but it has alot of parallels in time and impact. Please, history does not only happen in america! There is another reality you have never visited.

Having a stereotype about disco doesn't make you not racist.. It just makes you ignorant.. I'm sorry but that's how I see it. Afros are not a dead style. Have you heard of Macy Gray? I would hypothesize that afros were associated with the disco period because African Americans were celebrating their natural physical appearance during the unprecedented in the CIVIL RIGHTS ERA with the Brown decision in 1954, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Voting Rights Act in 1965??
I hear you, but in most Europeans life theese things had very little or no inpact. In Europe we were struggling for our lives in a post war reality, that consumed all energy and penetrated all aspects of life. Everything was shattered. TV, Radio and Papers were either censored for political reasons in a tricky world were nothing was as it should be, or not available at all. And in the midst of this, culture and music was upheald to make some contrast to this struggle. Black people, even soldiers that came to Europe to defend democracy with their lives, were something unusual and people didnt know how to react to them. The friction was considerable. If there was no space in a restaurant, black people had to move away. No "Civil Rights Act" in Europe, people just hadnt ever met that many black people. And the children growing up were the first to see thru the curtains of censored medias and ask for more of everything. For many Germans, Sesamy street was the first show that was aired, showing anything else than white faces. The first american soldiers in Berlin, the first black opera singers (one of them a personal friend of me), the first black business venturers - all these people came along with the music and culture that was let in thru a very fine sift. The 50:ies, 60:es and 70:ies were a time for repairing, regenerating and reclaiming life and identity. This was depicted in many ways. In this sentiment, eventually disco came along. Many black artists were the first to enter the music magazines during this time, illustrating something untamed, more in the musical and cultural sense than anything else. Their heads were greatly symbolic and worn with pride. This had never been displayed in this way before. White people, among them some female friends of mine, were also adopting this hairstyle to the fullest. For European People, these artists, along with some other musical styles and movie appearances, this was their first encounter with black people and big hair styles. And yes, they were at many times stereotypes. But thats how it was seen and percieved in those days. The people with the money&connections made the movies, and so thats how it turned out. It was a turning point though, and especially for the in every way isolated Germans.

Nota bene: theese were the times before computers. A phone call overseas had a time delay of 30-60 seconds and there was only one TV channel and only one shade of lipstick available for some. We constantly had a feeling of being cut off, and we were. Things were totally different on other continents. Everything here had stalled and the struggle to reclaim life, freedom in society and identity was apparent. Totally different things were going on in America.

There is a long long history of african american women trying to make their hair look caucasian, and yes, it is a racism issue. A black girl in my college english class once gave a quite long presentation about various issues surrounding black women's hair and I wish I could remember it all.
This is very sad, in so many ways. But also, I reserve the right for every black man or woman to keep their hair in whatever fashion they want. I don't think other people have the right to constantly pound on their heads, that if they prefer doing stuff to change the style or texture or whatever, they are suffering from racism. Everyone should have the right to do whatever they choose, and follow whatever ideal they want. I don't hear anyone saying that white people are the victim of racism, whenever they perm their hair.

On a non political note, that is a cool afro but I have a hard time believing it's the biggest one?
I was thinking this too, when I first saw it. There is no apparent reason, why afro-american hair shouldnt be possible to grow much longer. Take the picture of the chinese woman (think it was Chinese, just saw it here on LHC mentioned in another thread) with some 4 mtrs of hair. What circumference or length would this create on the head of a person with african descent?

And again, I appologize if I inadvertently hurt someones feelings with this. I am simply trying to explain what was going on in Europe, and how peoples emotions and perceptions depended on the things going on back then. I'm not saying I share these things today, but I lived it. And I remember.

coffinhert
November 12th, 2011, 02:25 PM
It does make sense that Europeans don't know the details of some American history. Most Americans don't know it either :P but it can be a very touchy issue.

Helenae
November 12th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Damn, it must be mad heavy.

skraprchik
November 12th, 2011, 02:49 PM

No more than anyone else's hair is heavy. It is just hair after all. That's not a helmet on her head.

These kinds of comments show just how much people don't know about different texture types.

Maraz
November 12th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Of course, any white woman with a black man isn't thinking about his hair.

Wait a sec, what is he trying to say here about white women who date black men? Because I represent that remark and I reserve the right to be offended. Although at the moment, I'm merely puzzled, and doing my best to keep my mind out of the gutter where it belongs. :D

On a non-political note, I agree, there has to be an afro bigger than that somewhere. But it's pretty regardless.

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Wait a sec, what is he trying to say here about white women who date black men? Because I represent that remark and I reserve the right to be offended. Although at the moment, I'm merely puzzled, and doing my best to keep my mind out of the gutter where it belongs. :D
Uhm, it took me five minutes to figure out what it was about that quotation that might have disturbed you. And I finally got it :D This was not how I percieved the line. Was that even an issue at the time this was written?

And of course, its not that heavy even though the coiling makes some weight. My own hair is like that (compact) only up to a certain length, so I'm guessing of course.

Maraz
November 12th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Uhm, it took me five minutes to figure out what it was about that quotation that might have disturbed you. And I finally got it :D This was not how I percieved the line. Was that even an issue at the time this was written?

And of course, its not that heavy even though the coiling makes some weight. My own hair is like that (compact) only up to a certain length, so I'm guessing of course.

Oh well, you've confirmed it for me, I just have a one-track mind. :D

Although I do like a man with pretty hair, regardless of whether it's curly or straight. Straight hair is easier to keep pretty, though. I ought to know, mine isn't straight, and it's a blasted pain trying to keep it from eating combs, brushes, jewelry, and pets. Forget making it look the way I want it to!

HintOfMint
November 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM
How beautiful! Both her smile and her hair!

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I ought to know, mine isn't straight, and it's a blasted pain trying to keep it from eating combs, brushes, jewelry, and pets. Forget making it look the way I want it to!
OT:
Ha ha, that reminds me of when I lived in a dorm. You could pretty much see everything in the room without moving from the chair. One time I missed my cat. I looked and looked, I couldn't see it anywhere. And then I left the sofa and realized it was sleeping under my hair! So cute. :cloud9:

Maraz
November 12th, 2011, 04:38 PM
OT:
Ha ha, that reminds me of when I lived in a dorm. You could pretty much see everything in the room without moving from the chair. One time I missed my cat. I looked and looked, I couldn't see it anywhere. And then I left the sofa and realized it was sleeping under my hair! So cute. :cloud9:

I think a full sized cat would survive an encounter with my hair. I wouldn't give good odds on a kitten managing to escape without help, though!

:blueeek:

coffinhert
November 12th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Wait a sec, what is he trying to say here about white women who date black men? Because I represent that remark and I reserve the right to be offended. Although at the moment, I'm merely puzzled, and doing my best to keep my mind out of the gutter where it belongs. :D.

You have to remember that when Malcolm X wrote his autobiography, segregation was just ending, interracial couples were a huge sensation and a novel concept. In the rest of his book there is talk of white girls who date black men just for the forbidden nature of it. He's talking about white women going to Harlem bars in the 60s specifically to find a black guy to go home with, when this wasn't even a possibility a decade before. If my memory serves me correctly this is the same period where interracial couples finally become legal. As a result there was a lot of exploration, in both directions of lust and love.

Society has come a LONG way in the past 50 years.

If the excerpts leave you with questions I highly recommend reading it! It's one of the best books I've ever read, edge-of-seat and historically-relevant. Not everyone agrees 100% with Malcolm X but he was a very important figure in the African-American movement of his time. (sorry this has dragged so far off original topic)

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 04:42 PM
The hair is undeniably gorgeous and no doubt is cared for well. I doubt that she wears it full out like that on a day to day basis - clearance and space issues and I am not being disrespectful of what she has achieved.

It is just not practical in terms of a style for everyday use any more than wearing long hair past a certain point is for doing certain things without it becomming a hazzard.

Even Crystal Gayle has remarked how she has caught her almost floor length hair in doors.

ETA: I watched the video interview. She usually wears her hair in what she describes as more "quiet styles". Good for her on celebrating her hair and it is much bigger looking in the interview fully picked out.

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Bah, kittens are smart things. Heard the story about Rapunzel? (Long haired lady, she really existed BTW). They would climb up and down in no time :D Normal curtains are there just for training purposes. OK end of OT

Áine
November 12th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Slz, I'm sure you didn't realize it when you posted it but this is the reason people were so upset with your post. It is also an issue that many Americans are especially sensitive to and there are a lot of Americans on this board.

That having been said, people haven't exactly been nice to Slz either. It was clearly not her intention to make a racist statement and even though she has not exactly apologized I don't think she meant to offend anyone. We all make mistakes.

This hairtype occurs irrespective of geographical boundaries. Black Europeans complain about the same ignorance too, and with people walking around spouting things as Slz has done, I can see why.

Why should anybody be told to be "nice" to somebody after they were subjected to an insult? Intent is irrelevant if people were hurt or offended by it. Afros aren't something to "make an example of", there are human beings under them, and they shouldn't be thrown under the bus just to prove a point. I don't care if someone has a "black friend" that tolerates this kind of nonsense, that still doesn't make it any less racist.

I have family members who have put up with garbage like this and have been treated in a subhuman manner with similar verbal assaults thrown at them by people who "didn't mean to be racist". If I see things like this happen in front of my face, I will not just be quiet and let it slide, lest people start to assume that this is acceptable. I don't care if my calling it for what it is makes some people uncomfortable. Slz sure didn't care about making a whole group of people (and more) feel uncomfortable. And she still has yet to properly apologize. And you are admonishing us to be... "nice"... so we don't hurt her feelings??? I beg your pardon?

I hear you, but in most Europeans life theese things had very little or no inpact. In Europe we were struggling for our lives in a post war reality, that consumed all energy and penetrated all aspects of life. Everything was shattered.

Can we just stick to the relative topic please? It's got nothing to do with the post-war European struggle. This thread is about a woman's huge Afro and things related to it.

Maraz
November 12th, 2011, 04:59 PM
You have to remember that when Malcolm X wrote his autobiography, segregation was just ending, interracial couples were a huge sensation and a novel concept. In the rest of his book there is talk of white girls who date black men just for the forbidden nature of it. He's talking about white women going to Harlem bars in the 60s specifically to find a black guy to go home with, when this wasn't even a possibility a decade before. If my memory serves me correctly this is the same period where interracial couples finally become legal. As a result there was a lot of exploration, in both directions of lust and love.

Society has come a LONG way in the past 50 years.

If the excerpts leave you with questions I highly recommend reading it! It's one of the best books I've ever read, edge-of-seat and historically-relevant. Not everyone agrees 100% with Malcolm X but he was a very important figure in the African-American movement of his time. (sorry this has dragged so far off original topic)

Okay, that makes sense. I wasn't thinking of the context of the time period. Just proves that rebellion has its uses. When society is pigheaded about something, the young will often turn the whole thing on its ear just because they can.

Although what most people don't realize is, prior to the Civil War, at least in New York City, it was legal and socially acceptable for freed slaves and poor workers to marry. There are several accounts of Irish women married to freed slaves. Class was at that time and place a bigger issue than race.

Whoops, now I'm dragging the whole thing even more off topic. I'm a bit of a history buff and a bit shamefaced that I've only read Malcolm X's writing in short excerpts.

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 05:10 PM
There is another thread here somwhere, where the politics of hair and afros was discussed.

Not everyone has to like her hair.

There are different ways of expressing that, that would not get outrage.

I think she obviously wanted to have the record but that is not why she grew her hair and she can style it any way she wants. The difference in appearance is about how much she "pulled it out".

Regardless of different hair textures and hair types or politics that may or may not apply, I think all hair can be celebrated by the individual wearing it, if not others.

I wear mine the way I prefer and can admire styles, colours and textures I personally would never embrace. That makes does not make them unembraceable to or by others.

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Okay, that makes sense. I wasn't thinking of the context of the time period. Just proves that rebellion has its uses. When society is pigheaded about something, the young will often turn the whole thing on its ear just because they can.

Although what most people don't realize is, prior to the Civil War, at least in New York City, it was legal and socially acceptable for freed slaves and poor workers to marry. There are several accounts of Irish women married to freed slaves. Class was at that time and place a bigger issue than race.

Whoops, now I'm dragging the whole thing even more off topic. I'm a bit of a history buff and a bit shamefaced that I've only read Malcolm X's writing in short excerpts.

I find black hairstyles and any history behind them whether they are current or not interesting. It is because hair so different to mine is fascinating and I find curly hair of interest the same way, although my hair can verge on curly.

It is just a difficult and potentially awkward issue just as discussing what goes on elsewhere within ethnic or religous groups can be.

These boards while predominantly American are a mix of many cultures and countries and expressing thoughts in English can be problematic, even when it is one's first and only language.

I can still struggle with that in relating well what I am feeling as opposed to what I am writing. I have observed that I am certainly not alone in that.

For me I recall reading that black hair has a somewhat different hair structure than caucasion hair. This was years ago, looong years ago and I do not know whether that is accurate.

Couple that with the fact that any and all of us are a mix of different DNA and it gets really interesting.

This appears to be well referenced although Wiki has its limits for me, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-textured_hair

When I started this thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37215 I was and still am fascinated with what Africans naturally used or use in their respective cultures.

When black slaves were first brought out of their environment they were removed from everything they knew and lost a vital part or all of their history on many levels.

Hair the least of it was worn covered because they did not have the plants and oils they did use to care for their hair, much less anything else they were not supplied, and as they integrated into new societies they found ways to manage.

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Can we just stick to the relative topic please? It's got nothing to do with the post-war European struggle. This thread is about a woman's huge Afro and things related to it.
You obviously did not read my post carefully enough to understand it. It was about that and the right to wear it this way.

I think she obviously wanted to have the record but that is not why she grew her hair and she can style it any way she wants. The difference in appearance is about how much she "pulled it out".
I suppose the fact that she accepted to be in the Book of Records doesnt mean it really is "the worlds largest afro hair". Like so many other things in there, there are other cases not mentioned for various reasons. Anyhow it looks great, regardless.

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I suppose the fact that she accepted to be in the Book of Records doesnt mean it really is "the worlds largest afro hair". Like so many other things in there, there are other cases not mentioned for various reasons. Anyhow it looks great, regardless.

The record while interesting to me is a not important. Her hair is awesome because to me it has been so well cared for by its appearance, and that is why it was chosen to be the subject of a thread here. That and she does rock it well.

Orangerthanred
November 12th, 2011, 06:36 PM
That's huge! :D

I want to put some conditioner in it so badly, though.. it looks so dry.

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 06:48 PM
That's huge! :D

I want to put some conditioner in it so badly, though.. it looks so dry.

She says she is a "product junkie" and to me her hair looks really soft. It may just be that it is not reflecting light being so curly, that it looks dry when it is not.

I doubt that she could have reached her current length or wear that style if it were as dry as you believe it is or there would have been a lot of breakage. It looks pretty even in the growth, another indication that it is in good health, to me.

Helix
November 12th, 2011, 07:13 PM

Interestingly enough, it's probably not as heavy as you might think.

I've read that African type hair, generally speaking has fewer protein layers than say Asian or caucasian hair types. Fewer layers = lighter hair so by nature it is not as heavy as the aforementioned hair types. I guess this is one of the reasons why my hair is able to grow up and out as opposed to downward. I'm sure with more length my hair will get relatively heavier and at some point it may eventually bow to gravity some but probably not by much.

Just hypothesizing here, (heck, I could be wrong), but I imagine that long hair that hangs down tends to feel heavier b/c gravity has a lot more "pull' on it than long hair that coils and shrinks up closer to the head. Kind of like carrying a weighted bag with long straps that hang low as opposed to one that is strapped close to your back.

Lawd, I hope that made sense. I'm not so great with the analogies, lol.

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Ok, I hate not knowing, lol.

P&G on hair structure and textures, colour mine as it is not part of the quote
http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-types.html
"African people originated in Africa. Their hair is black and tightly curled. It tends to be woolly and dry, and is extremely easily damaged by heat or chemicals."

Whoever wrote that first sentence needs an editor, lol.

"All hair, even the apparently perfectly straight hair of Asian people, twists as it grows. The number of twists in a given length of hair determine how curly it is: the more twists there are, the curlier it will be. Some African hair has 12 times as many twists per centimetre as Caucasian hair."

ETA: This, http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=107
does not take conditioning of any kind into account but the science is interesting. Black hair is more fragile and the oils the scalp produces do not move down the hairshaft the same way they do on straighter hair. My hair oil never conditioned my hair well even with brushing. Sebum alone does or never did the job alone for me and in many cultures it has not done the job for others either.

In every culture I have read about, hair condition was assisted by something other than just one's natural oils. Even those who just shampoo are usually getting some form of assistance to their natural sebum from their shampoo. Most shampoos these days, even those that do not cause build-up, with exceptions, condition the hair somewhat.

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Why should anybody be told to be "nice" to somebody after they were subjected to an insult? Intent is irrelevant if people were hurt or offended by it. Afros aren't something to "make an example of", there are human beings under them, and they shouldn't be thrown under the bus just to prove a point. I don't care if someone has a "black friend" that tolerates this kind of nonsense, that still doesn't make it any less racist.

I have family members who have put up with garbage like this and have been treated in a subhuman manner with similar verbal assaults thrown at them by people who "didn't mean to be racist". If I see things like this happen in front of my face, I will not just be quiet and let it slide, lest people start to assume that this is acceptable. I don't care if my calling it for what it is makes some people uncomfortable. Slz sure didn't care about making a whole group of people (and more) feel uncomfortable. And she still has yet to properly apologize. And you are admonishing us to be... "nice"... so we don't hurt her feelings??? I beg your pardon?

I think all people have a right to be treated with kindness.

I do believe that slz's feelings matter, regardless of whether she was offensive or not. If you can imagine the IRL equivalent of this discussion: One person says an off-color remark that was meant as a joke. 20 people criticize her and accuse her of being racist. She says "I didn't mean it this way, I meant it this way..." The 20 people continue to vilify her and 10 more jump in. How is this in any way fair? Regardless if she apologizes or not! It's not like you are having a one on one conversation with this person, it's an entire group of people making accusations. We are more civilized than this, are we not?

It is infuriating to me that she doesn't understand the impact of what she said and that she has not apologized, but I don't want to add my voice to a dissenting crowd. We would do far better getting through to her if we were nice. I bet now she has gone and is no longer reading this thread and what good did we do?

The other side of this issue is that we all have unintentionally hurt someone. I know I have, and I really hope that people understand that I never meant any harm. So, I like to give people the grace that I would want to have myself in the same situation.

Other than that I am mostly in agreement with you. What she said was really awful, and everyone's anger is entirely justified. I don't think what anyone said to her was wrong and we all have different ways of expressing our outrage, but if we could find a nicer way of telling her what she did wrong so that she will understand that would be preferable wouldn't it?

That is all.

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Well I just read the Mullet thread.

I get where slz was coming from. I do not necessarily agree with how she expressed it.

Funny thing about outrage.

Coming off reading that thread and reading this one, it must seem as if things can be very unfair and that bashing is allowed here. It is not. However, there are some pretty interesting reponses to a 16 year old OP there who was not taken seriously until much later in the thread and treated rather harshly which at least one poster acknowledged.

No, I am not "taking sides". I do not believe anyone here or there (other thread) supports being unkind. I know of other forums that do so. They apparantly are plentiful, "a dime a dozen or less", lol. Inflation has not gone up on that. ETA: It is common though for dissenters to band together. That I do not like at all. They seem to me to be stronger in unison than any individual would dare to be alone. There is a name for that I will withhold.

I just see where anger and outrage gets people into trouble and I do not mean with staff here alone. It warps one's perspective of what one thinks one is expressing by how they express it.

That is my opinion.

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 08:28 PM
@cmg- Afro hair is not a style.

@ktani- You are right that everyone is entitled to their opinion of other people's hair but I was under the impression that this is a board for support and encouragement. Generally in that kind of environment one would keep a negative opinion to themselves unless they were asked for it or they were giving advice to a friend.

ETA: @ktani- I was replying to your post on the other page and not your most recent one (which I wholeheartedly agree with!)

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 08:34 PM
@ktani- You are right that everyone is entitled to their opinion of other people's hair but I was under the impression that this is a board for support and encouragement. Generally in that kind of environment one would keep a negative opinion to themselves unless they were asked for it or they were giving advice to a friend.

From your mouth to whatever God one worships or not. It certainly should be that way. Please read the Mullet thread. Just search Mullet. It will explain a lot of what reached here in the form of outrage. It is not the only thread of late that is happening in.

Bill D.
November 12th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I disagree, for reasons I will explain later, giving you an europeans point of wiew. I'm not equating it, but it has alot of parallels in time and impact. Please, history does not only happen in america! There is another reality you have never visited.

I am well aware that history does not happen only in America. However, the posts to which I was responding were apparently treating European perceptions of these two trends being linked as having universal validity. This is precisely the sort of ethnocentrism you are decrying. I debunked this cultural ignorance by pointing out when these trends started at their source and primary field of play.

While the Afro hairstyle has existed in Africa for thousands of years, its resurgence among Americans of African ancestry and its subsequent migration elsewhere in the western world is a phenomenon that started in the United States and was most important here due to the large number of African-Americans here and the long history of their oppression in not just physical and economic but also cultural terms. Similarly, disco started in the U.S. though its musical roots ultimately include African influences.

I appreciate your explanation of the perception of Afros and disco among some Europeans. However, I would like to point out that just because these two trends migrated into your part of the world and happened to be noticed at about the same time by people there does not mean that they are closely linked. That would be like my linking sushi and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (both imports from Japan) just because they both became big in the U.S. during a certain general period of time. Their appearance in the U.S. was coincidental rather than meaningful, except in the very general sense of their popularity here exemplifying the increasing Japanese and east Asian cultural influence in the U.S. in recent decades. They're not American any more than Afros or disco are European.

BTW, while I have never lived in Europe I do have family there who I keep in touch with and who I have visited (or been visited by) a number of times. My father was born in Europe and spent some time there in the early 1950s after his parents returned to the Netherlands. I have long pondered and been intrigued by the similarities and differences between our respective cultural spheres. Europe is not so very far away from my personal life and personal awareness, and I am not one of those ignorant Americans who thinks that the world revolves around my country or that the rest of the world is unimportant. If you are looking for Americans to lecture on this topic (and yes some of us are guilty, just as some Europeans are guilty of their own chauvinism) please do not look at me.

Bill D.

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 08:45 PM

ETA: @ktani- I was replying to your post on the other page and not your most recent one (which I wholeheartedly agree with!)

Well in that case thank you twice I think. You did not quote me so I assumed (my error) it was to the most current one but I stand by both.

I have seen some styles and opinions here I most certainly question. I simply do not comment out of disinterest not fear of reprisal. I do not expect my opinion to be the only one. I have acknowledged that many times.

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM
From your mouth to whatever God one worships or not. It certainly should be that way. Please read the Mullet thread. Just search Mullet. It will explain a lot of what reached here in the form of outrage. It is not the only thread of late that is happening in.

I did read that thread. I replied to it too, there was one particular post that really made me :steam

I realize that it's an ideal but the thing about ideals is that even though we will never reach them, it is very important that we try. "When I can, I will."

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM
@ Bill D.- Afro hair is not a style.

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 09:09 PM

Whether it started off as a political statement or not, the Afro has come to mean a style today with variations. The moment I saw the thread title here, I knew to some degree what to expect.

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/style/search.asp?description=afro

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I did read that thread. I replied to it too, there was one particular post that really made me :steam

I realize that it's an ideal but the thing about ideals is that even though we will never reach them, it is very important that we try. "When I can, I will."

Rules here aside, that is true and I agree. However, there are rules here. I am not going to elaborate on them, not my area.

There are people who in spite of rules or ideals, relish bashing others. That to me is sick.

It is one thing to write something unintentionally that may offend. It is quite another to see if one can top another in being thoroughly obnoxious in trashing another human being.

I have seen comments on boards, under news articles and elsewhere online, where it is a free for all in terms of insults that would not be allowed in most places online or not.

Bill D.
November 12th, 2011, 09:20 PM

I'm referring to the "Afro" hairstyle as linked in the original post, not African hair per se which of course can be styled many ways.

taimatsuko
November 12th, 2011, 09:24 PM
@Helix Hmm... I didn't even think about the less layers thing but I definitely noticed how 'light' my hair is compared to others. I can even see it visually in pictures. The way my hair looks straight is not the way other's hair looks straight and I've only recently come to realize it's partially because of that 'fluffy' quality my strands have. It does make it easier to defy gravity but I certainly hope it will eventually succumb. I don't want a 6ft afro puff!

@others I think the afro is both a style and not a style. It's the way that the hair naturally grows out of the head so in that way it's not a style but just like wearing your hair 'down' as opposed to 'up' can be considered styling wearing hair in an afro as opposed to some other style could also be considered styling. Confusing, no?

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 09:38 PM
@others I think the afro is both a style and not a style. It's the way that the hair naturally grows out of the head so in that way it's not a style but just like wearing your hair 'down' as opposed to 'up' can be considered styling wearing hair in an afro as opposed to some other style could also be considered styling. Confusing, no?

As an "other" I agree. What started off as a political statement undefined in a specific style (at the time hair was simply grown out and left to its own devices, as that was the idea and it was done on everyone's hair then pretty much), became a concept that creatively was taken in different directions with one thing in common, the shaping of the hair with its natural texture intact (for the most part).

Not that confusing but it needs the reference to its roots.

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Whether it started off as a political statement or not, the Afro has come to mean a style today with variations. The moment I saw the thread title here, I knew to some degree what to expect.

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/style/search.asp?description=afro

Technically speaking, if you tease or somehow manipulate your hair to replicate a black person's natural hair, then yes, that would be considered a hair style.

However, when you see a black person and they have an afro that's just their hair. It's not a "style," it's not a choice. It's the way their hair naturally is. It would be like saying I wear my nose long style.
ETA: Not all black people have this type of hair and not all people that have this type of hair are black. But it definitely is a hair TYPE and not a style.

I don't think anyone here would give me their opinion that "straight hair is horrendous." That's just the way my hair naturally is and so far people have been very supportive of that. It should be that way for all hair types, 4's included.

Those are some really awesome ways to style afro hair!

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I'm referring to the "Afro" hairstyle as linked in the original post, not African hair per se which of course can be styled many ways.

I will meet you on this point. I think that we should make a clear distinction as not to offend people who naturally have that hair if we ever feel the need to criticize it as a style.

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Technically speaking, if you tease or somehow manipulate your hair to replicate a black person's natural hair, then yes, that would be considered a hair style.

However, when you see a black person and they have an afro that's just their hair. It's not a "style," it's not a choice. It's the way their hair naturally is. It would be like saying I wear my nose long style.
ETA: Not all black people have this type of hair and not all people that have this type of hair are black. But it definitely is a hair TYPE and not a style.

I don't think anyone here would give me their opinion that "straight hair is horrendous." That's just the way my hair naturally is and so far people have been very supportive of that. It should be that way for all hair types, 4's included.

Those are some really awesome ways to style afro hair!

I hear you but I am from that time, so I get why afro is considered to be a style now.

No black person dared to reveal their hair texture worn free before that time in white society.

As to hair being criticized, I also remember fashion rules and they were tough. Hair worn out of the current style, you have no idea of the criticism that evoked. Yes, you had a few styles to choose from but you pretty much were on the outs (ridiculed) unless you complied with one of them.

Áine
November 12th, 2011, 10:09 PM
You obviously did not read my post carefully enough to understand it. It was about that and the right to wear it this way.

The point. You missed it. I would repeat myself again, but I don't like being a broken record. You had a prolonged post with stuff about Europe and the 'The Struggle' or whatever you insist was relevant to the current discussion. This is a derailment, taking it to a subject that's not germane at all, it was practically non-sequitur. There is nothing to needed to "understand" about that.

lacefrost
November 12th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Quick thought on whether an "afro" is a style or not. I consider it a style.

Consider this, when someone (with straight hair) wears their hair down, it's considered a style. The style is wearing their hair down. For me, since my hair is so curly + coarse, an afro is me wearing my hair down. Just like a puff is just a pony tail in really curly hair. Afro = down; puff = pony tail. Same thing, just looks different.

This is why I have gotten upset when people say I can't wear an afro or a puff or braids. If someone with straight, wavy, or less curly hair than me can wear theirs down, I figure I should be allowed to wear mine down too. If they can wear a pony tail or a french braid, I should be able to do the same. It's the same exact style, just looks different.

As a random aside, just cause I was thinking about it: I have noticed that many supercurlies (3c, 4a, and beyond) tend to have hair that clumps if allowed to clump, for example: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fXM3mnzOhhg/TVvOaG1QX4I/AAAAAAAALtg/Y02yaLLAuXI/s1600/washngo.2.7.jpg And this girl has the exact same size curls as I do, in the same exact places except that her hair clumps and mine doesn't. Here is a picture of her hair just washed and conditioned and left to dry: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mT8nDx37efI/Tbh_GiU0rXI/AAAAAAAAAiI/0yFwiEPySn8/s1600/comic+&#37;25282%2529-1.jpg So some folks do have to fluff their hair out to get that "afro" look. I'm still getting over the fact my hair doesn't clump :(

pepperminttea
November 12th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Can it not be both the way the hair naturally grows and a style? It doesn't seem an either/or thing to me. :hmm:

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Food for thought lacefrost! We define styles differently.

When I wake up my hair is down. I don't really consider that a style. When my hair was long I put it up in a clip out of necessity to stop my baby from pulling it out. I don't really consider that a style, either.

I think a hair style is when you purposefully manipulate it to look a certain way, not when it just is or when you have a utilitarian updo.

And I always thought the word "afro" included both variations you talked about. I never really associated it with any particular era or decade or music. I guess because I'm only 25? I just thought it was the word for hair that naturally foofs out.

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Can it not be both the way the hair naturally grows and a style? It doesn't seem an either/or thing to me. :hmm:

I see this now and I agree. I think, though, that it's important to make a distinction because there is quite a difference in saying that the way someone chose to wear their hair is horrendous and saying that their natural hair texture is horrendous.

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I see this now and I agree. I think, though, that it's important to make a distinction because there is quite a difference in saying that the way someone chose to wear their hair is horrendous and saying that their natural hair texture is horrendous.

Agreed 100&#37;.

ETA: Although I see no need for either statement. One can just pass on making such comments. The statement here was in reponse to another thread and born from outrage. I understand it. I will not comment further on it though.

slz
November 13th, 2011, 07:46 AM

holothuroidea
November 13th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Hairstyles : yes. Not "natural state of 4c hair". "Natural" state of any hair type would be a single matted mess. Anything involving more than nothing is a hairstyle. Besides, I'm pretty sure most afros require quite a bit of care like brushing/combing through, trimming to give the typical sculpted "mushroom"shape past a certain length. Also, most people's hair clumps if left to its own devices (leading to the aforementioned mat).

I disagree with this. There are many ways to define what a hair style is. For me, general hair hygiene does not constitute a style. Washing, conditioning, detangling, and putting up to keep out of harms way are all things I consider good hygiene and not styling. I understand, though, that your definition is different from mine. I would still, however, be offended if you said that my hair in my signature (when I've done nothing to it except take care of it) was horrendous- regardless of context.

I still think the mullet/afro comparison is very pertinent - after all, I could go around saying that straight short hair left to grow will make a mullet on its own, the dreaded mullet stage so often mentioned here, and thus the mullet is no hairstyle but that it's "what straight hair does". I won't cause that'd be stupid.

Just for clarification, straight hair doesn't naturally grow into a mullet. If I shaved my head bald and let it grow out I would never have a mullet. A mullet, by definition, is longer in the back than it is on the top and sides. Most pixie or shag hair cuts that grow out will get a little mullet going on during a certain stage. It's the hair cut, not the texture.

I'm not sure I've said everything I meant to, but I'll stop for real here anyway. I'm not going to type endless justifications when it has already been done in time, that is, when the thread was first written. Ressurecting a thread for the sake of arguing without taking the time to read and understand everything that was said in the first place is "bad internet practice", and I've already done far more than I should ever had (which should have been "ignoring", actually).

I don't think people are looking for you to justify what you said. I think that you unintentionally offended some people and they are just looking for an apology. Since you did it unintentionally I don't understand why this should be so hard.

As far as the issue being resurrected and beaten to death, I think that's just because it is a very polarizing issue that people like to discuss, not because you in particular brought it up. A lot of us are just trying to understand an issue from all sides and that is why we discuss.

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 10:45 AM
A lot of us are just trying to understand an issue from all sides and that is why we discuss.

"All sides" are the operative words to me about any issue.

cmg
November 13th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Indeed. Great postings, ktani and holothuroidea. Thanks for taking this discussion back to a sensible and respectful level.

I don't recall using that expression myself, except in quotations. But I also think, that it has been fairly established by several posters why this expression has to be considered as describing also a hairstyle nowadays.

The comparison is pertinent because of the connotation both of those hairstyles have : disco and white trash. And, yes, connotations are about stereotypes, not historical accurracy. Whichever came first of the afro or the disco is not pertinent when I say that stereotypically, both are closely associated.
My point exactly. But stereotypes have a deeper cause, sprung from needs, emotions and lifestyles in the humans using them. Sometimes stereotypes are used as a protection or out of fear, sometimes in an effort to explain the world around them and sometimes out of love. Stereotypes are very interesting this way. The same stereotype can actually appear on different places for totally different reasons (OK this goes past the topic of this thread).

Ressurecting a thread for the sake of arguing without taking the time to read and understand everything that was said in the first place is "bad internet practice", and I've already done far more than I should ever had (which should have been "ignoring", actually).Not easy, I know.

The point. ....................... There is nothing to needed to "understand" about that.
Reading is easy. Understanding is an art.

I am well aware that history does not happen only in America. However, the posts to which I was responding were apparently treating European perceptions of these two trends being linked as having universal validity. This is precisely the sort of ethnocentrism you are decrying. I debunked this cultural ignorance by pointing out when these trends started at their source and primary field of play.
Perhaps I'm not reading your english very well, but being accused of ethnocentrism as well as being culturally ignorant sounds like a personal insult to me. Your post was from my point of wiew percieved as culture imperialistic and cried out for a response that set things in a different global perspective. You do not have to agree with me, but you should try and respect the opinionsof others as just as valid as your own. You do not know where I come from. Also, I did state at the end of my posting, that those were the sentiments around this time, not neccessarily being my personal.

They're not American any more than Afros or disco are European.
I never said they were. We live in a world where country borders are not the boundaries between people and their ideas and ideals anymore.

and I am not one of those ignorant Americans who thinks that the world revolves around my country or that the rest of the world is unimportant.
I'm sorry if I percieved your posting like that. This kind of attitude does stick in my and other Europeans eyes alot, and perhaps we are over sensitive in this regard, reading it into everything everywhere. BTW where I come from it was illegal until 1958 to sing in my native language, not to mention wearing any sort of styles that were our own. So forgive me if I indulge in some ethnocentricity today. I thought we would have evolved past this.

cmg
November 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM
(Quotation from
http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-types.html )

"All hair, even the apparently perfectly straight hair of Asian people, twists as it grows. The number of twists in a given length of hair determine how curly it is: the more twists there are, the curlier it will be. Some African hair has 12 times as many twists per centimetre as Caucasian hair."
Started a new thread about this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1864206#post1864206

holothuroidea
November 13th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I don't recall using that expression myself, except in quotations. But I also think, that it has been fairly established by several posters why this expression has to be considered as describing also a hairstyle nowadays.

Yes, I have been properly educated in the matter. :D

CurlyCap
November 13th, 2011, 11:02 PM
For me, since my hair is so curly + coarse, an afro is me wearing my hair down. Just like a puff is just a pony tail in really curly hair. Afro = down; puff = pony tail. Same thing, just looks different.

This is why I have gotten upset when people say I can't wear an afro or a puff or braids. If someone with straight, wavy, or less curly hair than me can wear theirs down, I figure I should be allowed to wear mine down too. If they can wear a pony tail or a french braid, I should be able to do the same. It's the same exact style, just looks different.

Lacefrost, do you know of a thread/webpage/blog that addresses this issue for curlies? It's something I've dealt with in the workplace, and I'm not even a 4. However, my hair seems more acceptable on post-wash days when the clumping keeps it's volume smaller. However, if I wear any other way, I get comments about professionalism. My hair is curly. It is big. In certain conditions, it gets even bigger. Why do people feel they can dictate how my hair lies?

Right now, with my hair at shoulder, if my hair doesn't curl well, I get a big hair crown (which I love). However, I've been told to pin it down for presentations and such. Or "since it's long enough now, maybe consider a bun". However, other presenters with shoulder length hair can wear theirs down if it is otherwise well-kept.

I dunno. When I was younger, I feel I would have just accepted it. For my graduate degree interviews, I straightened my hair just so I wouldn't have to worry about the unpredictable puffiness factor.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to be polite while I ignore them. :D

pretty wings
November 14th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Whoa... I think I'm going to skip the debate for now to just comment on the lovely hair. It's drool worthy. Mmmm I wonder if this means that my afro is never going to fall then? I was kinda hoping it was going to drop and start growing downward at some point. I realize how silly that is since hair is light but I can dream can't I? lol
I wonder how long it is if she were to stretch it or what she does to care for it.

taimatsuko
November 15th, 2011, 10:48 PM
@ Lacefrost

This may sound crazy but... Have you ever tried just getting it thoroughly wet, raking your fingers through it a bit in the shower and then doing the 'dog shake' where you sort of vigorously head-bang in all directions?

The reason I ask is because I always thought 'dang, I don't have any curl definition' but then I tried that method and voila! tiny little spiral curls everywhere! It still might not work but it's worth a try if you haven't tried already. I specifically like this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKD-O-AC-60&list=PL2C617217AC2DDA0E&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Tutorial starts at 3:36 if you get bored of the 'blah, blah.'

wallflower
November 15th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I was expecting it to look loose and wild and pretty ridiculous. But she looks great! I love it. She definitely rocks that afro.

katsrevenge
November 16th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I just showed this to my guy in a (failed) attempt to get him to keep his and grow a really big head of hair.

I love me long hair, no matter shape what it comes as!

Once a year my guy (African American) shaves his head. Other then that he does not cut or trim his hair. It easily fills two wallmart sized shopping bags. My braid weighs more then them!

This political discussion reminds me of something that happened at his last family reunion. His sis has long straightened hair. She and her mum had just had it done at a salon that day. It is apparently a big deal and they did a very nice job. (If her hair is like his it is tough as nails and thick to boot!)

Anyways, we go to the reunion. I'm the only white person there and I'm sitting with her and a bunch of cousins roughly my age. I know none of them but we are just yapping hair and clothes crap. Easy subjects that we can all chime in on, you know?

She's describing the little Asian lady who did it and how the women kept saying 'Like white! See!? Like white!" They remember I'm white and shut all up and look at me. All I could think to do was point at a girl with a fro and say I'd kill to have my hair do that. (And I just might. I have serious envy sometimes.) Still, she had sat somewhere with god only knows what on her head for how long I know not to have 'white' hair.

Curly and kinky natural hair has a lot of political and racial/social baggage. It's 'wild', 'untamed', 'frizzy', unprofessional', 'lessor', 'messy', 'sex hair'. It is also the way that a large group of people who have been traditionally been disempowered, over-sexualized and made to feel lessor are. The afro is what happens when a person with 4 hair lets their hair down, wears it loose. It is no more gross, nasty or whatever then a thin haired person having a sheer curtain of hair, a thick haired person having a big poof of hair or a 1a person not having a bit of body.

It's all natural and good. :D I like to enjoy the differences.

ktani
November 16th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Any and all hair types can be celebrated, to me. Any and all hairstyles to me can be celebrated as well.

Racist baggage? It depends who is talking and what they say. It can work all ways.

Except for isolated populations we all share DNA. To me, even with isolated populations counted we are all one race - human.

The fact that all or most North Americans and most probably all Europeans have some African DNA is the icing on the cake to me in reply to any "white supremicist" leanings.

My response to learning about that was "right on", lol.

ETA: If a black person says they find straight hair horrendous - is that racist? Possibly - or is it preference? - what criteria is being used? What frame of reference? That is what I meant as one example about who is talking and what is said.

katsrevenge
November 16th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Ktani, I can try to take a stab at that... I hope you don't mind, but I did look at your profile to get an idea of who you are. Imagine that for all your life your particular culture depicted golden blonde wavy hair as something to be fixed. Imagine that there were masses of products telling you to dye it brown and then curl it. Imagine if all the adult actresses with your hair type were never shown with their hair natural. When they were in movies they had their hair restyled to look like another ethnicity.

Imagine now that that ethnicity was the one in charge. They have the privilege of saying what is 'acceptable', 'best' or 'good'. And they have decided that what is natural to you is unacceptable, bad and nasty. This is just a thought exercise. Still not a very nice way to feel though.

I know Canada has its share of racial issues and that they are different from American racial issues in some ways. But there is still white privilege up there too. :flower:

As for your ETA. There are some that claim that the oppressed race cannot be 'racist' because racism is linked to power inequality. I am not one of those folk. I believe racism is quite simply someone, anyone, valuing or favoring one race over the others. I can understand someone not liking a particular hair style or wavy, straight, curly or kinky hair. That is preference. But to say it is 'gross', 'nasty' or 'horrendous' can be racist.

Finnenna
November 16th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Beautiful and so inspiring.

ktani
November 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Ktani, I can try to take a stab at that... I hope you don't mind, but I did look at your profile to get an idea of who you are. Imagine that for all your life your particular culture depicted golden blonde wavy hair as something to be fixed. Imagine that there were masses of products telling you to dye it brown and then curl it. Imagine if all the adult actresses with your hair type were never shown with their hair natural. When they were in movies they had their hair restyled to look like another ethnicity.

Imagine now that that ethnicity was the one in charge. They have the privilege of saying what is 'acceptable', 'best' or 'good'. And they have decided that what is natural to you is unacceptable, bad and nasty. This is just a thought exercise. Still not a very nice way to feel though.

I know Canada has its share of racial issues and that they are different from American racial issues in some ways. But there is still white privilege up there too. :flower:

As for your ETA. There are some that claim that the oppressed race cannot be 'racist' because racism is linked to power inequality. I am not one of those folk. I believe racism is quite simply someone, anyone, valuing or favoring one race over the others. I can understand someone not liking a particular hair style or wavy, straight, curly or kinky hair. That is preference. But to say it is 'gross', 'nasty' or 'horrendous' can be racist.

I am Jewish and while I have not personally faced discrimination of any kind because of that, my father's family was just about wiped out by Nazi Germany.

My mother faced discrimination where I grew up with for example a sign on a public beach which read "No Dogs or Jews Allowed".

I think anyone of any race as other people define race can be racist.

I understand the interpretation and agree that the remarks you refer to can be racist. It depends to me on the context of remarks and the speaker as to whether I would interpret them as such.

ETA: further clarification - different groups for lack of a better word can use derogatory names among their own and that is not considered racist whereas people outside the group or race cannot without being seen as racist.

GlassWidow
November 16th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Holy smokes Aevin Dugas' head of hair is gorgeous!

Mountaingrrl
November 16th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Holy smokes Aevin Dugas' head of hair is gorgeous!
I couldn't agree more!

anka.ch
November 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I'v seen her on youtube :) Fantastic! Still, as she sais, she doesn't wear it often... hehehe I believe it is not comfortable :P

lacefrost
November 20th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Lacefrost, do you know of a thread/webpage/blog that addresses this issue for curlies? It's something I've dealt with in the workplace, and I'm not even a 4
. . .snip. . .
Now I'm just trying to figure out how to be polite while I ignore them. :D

Unfortunately no. But I'm belligerent enough that I don't care. I have a tendency to ask a lot of questions and to point out that their issue is that they basically don't like curly hair. I also like to point out that I'm being treated differently because I have curly hair.

Obnoxious Person: your hair is really unprofessional when it looks like that.
me: Like what? Curly?

or

ObP: now that your hair is longer, you should wear it in a bun
me: why?
ObP: because it looks more professional
me: if that were true, you would be talking to Stacey right now. She wears her hair down all the time.
ObP: but her hair is different
me: And? So is yours. By that logic, you should wear it up too.

or

ObP: you need to wear your hair slicked back for presentations
me: why? Is everyone wearing their hair slicked back?
ObP: your hair would be just too distracting for the presentation. It's unprofessional.
me: If the audience is too busy looking at my hair than to listen to something that impacts their livelihoods and job performance, the issue lies with them, not me. I'm being professional, they're not.

@ Lacefrost

This may sound crazy but... Have you ever tried just getting it thoroughly wet, raking your fingers through it a bit in the shower and then doing the 'dog shake' where you sort of vigorously head-bang in all directions?

snip

I've tried basically everything. Denman brushes (that thoroughly detangle my hair, I loves my denman), conditioners that have amethdicone, trying to create clumping by running my hands through my hair, by just getting it wet, by twirling it, etc etc. My hair just does not clump. It's just not what it wants to do. Even after being in rope braids the size of my curls, I get my hair wet and it turns into an afro. So I'm just learning to love the fro.

lajsa
November 21st, 2011, 12:53 PM
Afros are awesome! So is alliteration, yay!
Honestly, I love the looks of afros. They're just so cool! :D

Oh, and lacefrost, I think your hair looks great :) People who think it's "unprofessional" are just douchebags. In what way would it be unprofessional? It's how it grows naturally! I mean, my hair is straight and flat and doesn't do much if I just leave it as it is, and that's its natural state. Yet I don't think anyone would complain if I just left it as it was. There's just this idiotic problem people have with curly hair. Makes me angry because curls are awesome. :steam

I wish I was born with at least some manner of curl... can you tell? :D

taimatsuko
November 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM
@Lacefrost

Ah yes, the fro will do what it will do! Those are awesome responses to the 'unprofessional' issue. I will have to keep them in mind for when I start working!

cmg
December 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I just have to show you guys this: I was googling the word mothball in different languages, looking for naftalin. Internet is weird sometimes. This was one of the more unexpected search results:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSku8N2oKZaDFncaVtegzcEqNUys03Xe scKOaIeMtFVamVqPvs0OqqRUgqF

And for comparison, "variation" in blonde:
http://data.lustich.de/bilder/l/14837-schrubberfrisur.jpg
:D

GlassWidow
December 8th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Neat! :)

(by the way, did you find what you were looking for? If you didn't, I think it's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphthalene)

GlassWidow
December 8th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Not sure how the double post happened...

dili
December 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM
her hair is soooo cool!!! love it!