PDA

View Full Version : It's a Mullet :D

Pages : [1] 2

Kayla Nyx
September 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Mod note: All comments, whether in response to the OP or to other posters, most be phrased respectfully. Consider how others will feel when reading your posts.

Im changing this, so ignore the name

ETA: I have changed and added new pictures to this post to help people understand better that this post was NOT a joke and it was in fact what my friend wanted. Original post had 4 pictures of my friend, KB, and they showed the cut that she had asked me to give her. Note: hew mother had cut her bangs before I did anything, I only tried fixing what she had done. Almost everyone was horrified at what I had done and formed their own conclusion to why I gave her the cut that I did. New pictures are ONLY there to explain that I can cut hair somewhat decent :p and I never had Ill intentions toward KB. I hope this explains a little bit to why none of the comments below match current pictures. if you'd like - skip forward to page 12 (I think that's where everything calmed down)

I know some of you were horrified by the picture of.. KB. No, I did not plan on 'butchering' her hair or get revenge on her for anything. She ASKED me to do it. ): Like I mentioned, I've cut my friends hair before, so I will show you. IM NOT THAT BAD! Lol. really. I meant no harm..

KB:
this is the first ever time I cut her hair
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/167878_194069720619372_100000490371654_722343_5054 101_n.jpg

the other night KB mom hacked away at her bangs and she was very depressed. so, she asked me to try and fix her bangs. I tried. then she described how she wanted the dark part of her hair left alone. Totally. and to chop away at everything and make it short. "A mullet??" I say. Yes. A mullet.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o5GjVXVSarA/TnGXkxWm6aI/AAAAAAAAACs/1Hc6WfdI0v4/s640/Picture%252520476.jpg

__________________________________________________ ____________

then my friends HL. she was harassed at school for her long hair. I was scared, but cut it for her. a couple times. it was fun!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/34728_138820372830650_100001080631215_197180_63333 31_n.jpg
http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/168158_1392414271005_1851617055_741211_3675412_n.j pg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/165107_1392414831019_1851617055_741212_2363576_n.j pg

then it got short

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7ACJbCPBsO4/TnJ4m1YCsLI/AAAAAAAAADA/N8ymj822tKE/s512/0316011617.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hDexGQWG7L8/TnJ4m-T8gtI/AAAAAAAAAC8/Pg-FPa_hd58/s512/0316011617b.jpg

and turned black :D

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eQHFGLz9w4k/TnJ4n1icJtI/AAAAAAAAADI/5IeJxzMcG_g/s512/0316011931.jpg

then I've also cut HK hair, but I dont have any pictures.

so PLEASE. Im not trying to be mean at all! Im just doing what is asked of me.. and I like them

UltraBella
September 15th, 2011, 12:38 AM
You gave your best friend a mullet ? Why ?????!???
I am sorry, but that is awful looking :( It is not flattering to her features, it is very uneven and the shortest layers are way too short. I would be in utter tears if I were her. I know it sounds harsh, but I would consider this a hair "disaster". I am not trying to hurt your feelings, but there is no way for me to sugar coat how bad I think this haircut is.

heartgoesboom
September 15th, 2011, 12:43 AM
does she like it at least?

Flossy
September 15th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Is it what she wanted?

UltraBella
September 15th, 2011, 12:48 AM
does she like it at least?

Is it what she wanted?

These are much nicer responses than mine. I realize mine is a bit rough. I don't know how to put it any differently though. Even if my best friend wanted this and begged me to cut it, I would say absolutely NO.

Hotrox
September 15th, 2011, 12:59 AM
OMG, that poor girl :shrug:

battles
September 15th, 2011, 01:03 AM
That girl has more guts than I do, I can't say I'd ever willingly let someone give me a mullet.

I'm also totally creeped out by Justin Bieber staring menacingly from behind her head. :tmi:

scotty810
September 15th, 2011, 02:26 AM
i am so confused :confused:

I guess you should be thankful you have friends who'll let you experiment on their hair and be happy to wear whatever comes out.

annieangel149
September 15th, 2011, 03:03 AM
oh my! I don't know what to say! ermmm.......horrible :(

Sammich
September 15th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Hey, if your friend liked it, and you like it. *Shrug* To each their own! :D

I had a neo mullet cut into my hair once and I, to be honest loved it.

Toadstool
September 15th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Hope she's pleased with it. :)
I love neo-mullets myself.

oktobergoud
September 15th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Well.. it's different!

Charlotte
September 15th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Hmmm... I wonder if you would allow her to do the same to your hair? :(

gretchen_hair
September 15th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I have to agree with most of the replies, it is not a good cut nor is it flattering in any way. Your friend has a round face and this cut makes it look rounder. Unless she really loves it, she needs professional help.

UltraBella
September 15th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Hope she's pleased with it. :)
I love neo-mullets myself.

On the right person, a well cut neo-mullet can be AWESOME ! This is not that scenario unfortunately :(

bratz81
September 15th, 2011, 06:47 AM
oh wow I didn't notice Justin Beiber til it was pointed out and now I'm creeped out too!!

As long as she likes it I guess that's the main thing but to be honest...I really don't think it suits the shape of her face. I think if I was her I'd be devastated.

Charlotte
September 15th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I hope that your friend is happy with her hair cut but I don't know how she possibly could be. I'd be crying my eyes out. :(

CastaDiva
September 15th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Personally, I would hate a haircut like that:( Just hope your friend is ok with how her hair looks...

irishlady
September 15th, 2011, 07:09 AM
It's like some bowl cut that mated with a mullet.
I'm sorry that I'm mean, but it's the worst possible cut for her face.

alwayssmiling
September 15th, 2011, 07:14 AM
This is a joke post - right? :) She looks like you have put some clip in extensions at the back to me. I don't believe she would have let you cut her hair like that :p

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 07:16 AM
:trainwreck:

Aeris
September 15th, 2011, 07:19 AM
In defense of Kayla, she and her friend are pretty young, and she mentioned that she cuts her friend's hair quite frequently - it sounds like they are just having fun and messing around with her hair, which I am assuming she is okay with. Which she should be - nothing wrong with experimenting with your look and having fun at a young age :) It's not like she's going to show up to a job interview with that hair. It's all just for fun.

And I'm guessing she likes the cut and thinks it's fun, otherwise, the original post would have a very different feel ("Help! I just cut my friend's hair and now she hates me!")

Aeris
September 15th, 2011, 07:21 AM
This is a joke post - right? :) She looks like you have put some clip in extensions at the back to me. I don't believe she would have let you cut her hair like that :p

Now I can see it maybe being fake too though. The color on bottom is rather dark compared to the top.

Eolan
September 15th, 2011, 07:39 AM
OP is 15 years old. Don't go to harsh on her, 'mkay? :)

I LOVED having my hair cut when I was fifteen. The mullet was probably the only cut I didn't try.

spidermom
September 15th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Cute? ARe you teasing us or serious?

Fufu
September 15th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Not the kind of hairstyle I will want on my head...

but it's fine if the person who carries this hairstyle loves it :)

gretchen_hair
September 15th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I snickered here because I thought the same thing. I was thinking....ummmm...cute is NOT the word I would use to describe this...well....can I even call it a hair style?

I see the OP's hair is beautiful, I wondered if she was trying to make her friend look like crap so she would look even prettier.

15 or not, that is an awful awful AWFUL style for that young lady.

Cute? ARe you teasing us or serious?

Fufu
September 15th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I snickered here because I thought the same thing. I was thinking....ummmm...cute is NOT the word I would use to describe this...well....can I even call it a hair style?

I see the OP's hair is beautiful, I wondered if she was trying to make her friend look like crap so she would look even prettier.

15 or not, that is an awful awful AWFUL style for that young lady.

I wouldn't jump into a conclusion to think she purposely cut her friend's hair to make hers look great. Besides, I feel that one can't force a person to get a haircut unless he/she is willingly too.

It's bad cut, but hair grows, and it can be reshaped and beautified.

Let's see what the OP responses :)

gretchen_hair
September 15th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Just to be clear, I said I *wondered* about it, I didn't say that she did it spitefully.....I just considered the possibility.

I wouldn't jump into a conclusion to think she purposely cut her friend's hair to make hers look great. Besides, I feel that one can't force a person to get a haircut unless he/she is willingly too.

It's bad cut, but hair grows, and it can be reshaped and beautified.

Bianca
September 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM

If she hasn't been scared away by all this negativity.

I sure didn't treat my hair good at 15. And if they like to play around with cuts and dye, which most young girls do (I would know), then let em enjoy it :p

And who knows, maybe she wanted to get it all short afterwards and this mullet is just before the rest got cut off or something...

einna
September 15th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I understand that this post is a bit special, but keep in mind that the OT is a 15 year old girl having fun with her (consenting) friend. Please remember the LHC`s reputation as beeing a very nice forum. The girl in the pics looks happy enough to me...

bratz81
September 15th, 2011, 08:21 AM
einna, you're right of course. I feel a bit guilty now for being harsh. Sorry OP!

As long as her friend likes it then that's all that matters.

Fufu
September 15th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Just to be clear, I said I *wondered* about it, I didn't say that she did it spitefully.....I just considered the possibility.

My apologies :)

jujube
September 15th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I too am wondering if it's a joke.

honeyblonde
September 15th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Hmmmm, very interesting

sun-kissed
September 15th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I'm sorry, but is this real..? I honestly can't tell. The longer hair is very dark, while the shorter is lighter brown. It could easily be a bowl cut with extensions... I don't know, maybe it's natural with those colours. /shrug.

And guys, lay off. For cheese's sake! It seems that OP is happy with it, and she said her friend and her had a good time. It's not the end of the world if you get a unique hairstyle, epecially when you're a teen.

Pumpkin
September 15th, 2011, 08:28 AM
...has to be a joke.

Rocket22
September 15th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Hey if all is happy then great. There are many hairstyles I would not wear but that is what makes the world go around

Yame
September 15th, 2011, 08:29 AM
In defense of Kayla, she and her friend are pretty young, and she mentioned that she cuts her friend's hair quite frequently - it sounds like they are just having fun and messing around with her hair, which I am assuming she is okay with. Which she should be - nothing wrong with experimenting with your look and having fun at a young age :) It's not like she's going to show up to a job interview with that hair. It's all just for fun.

She could be. At around that age in the US a lot of teens look for part time jobs. Also, she could be teased and bullied in school.

If she's happy with the cut it's all good, but if not I think there could be more serious repercussions in her life than you think.

gretchen_hair
September 15th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Did the friend give permission to post her photo?

GlassWidow
September 15th, 2011, 08:47 AM
It's not my style, but if your friend is happy with the cut then great. If you like cutting hair, you should think about barber college after high school so you can improve on your skills. ;)

gretchen_hair
September 15th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I am not being mean when I say this....I am being sensitive to the girl in the photo.

Teens already have a hard time at school, this girl already has acne and is a little chubby (I am chubby too, I am not being mean or rude when I point this out) She needs to enhance her looks with flattering makeup, clothing and hair styles. This hair cut is not flattering.

I don't think it's harsh to be truthful about how bad the cut is. If we all tell the OP...*yes yes yes, it's lovely, you should be a hair stylist*.....that is a lie and maybe one day she will end up being talked about on a *The hair stylist gave me a mullet* thread.

I feel bad for her friend, this does not look attractive or cute in any way. It is not enhancing the friends looks, it will most likely get her picked on in school.

I would encourage the OP to stop cutting hair until she goes to beauty school and gets a license. If that is her calling, she needs training.

Maybe the gal likes it and all is well, maybe the school kids or others won't make fun of her. But the responses here lead me to believe otherwise.

She could be. At around that age in the US a lot of teens look for part time jobs. Also, she could be teased and bullied in school.

If she's happy with the cut it's all good, but if not I think there could be more serious repercussions in her life than you think.

GlassWidow
September 15th, 2011, 08:58 AM
If you right click on the pictures and look at the properties, you can see that they are linked from "googleusercontent.com" which is not a photo hosting site, the last I knew. This leads me to believe the entire thread is tongue in cheek, and therefore my response was also tongue in cheek.

archel
September 15th, 2011, 08:59 AM
WOW. This post is better than morning coffee.

Anyway - folks try to be kind to OP, I was 15 once and not only did I hack at my own hair and color it and perm it and whatever I could get my hands on to destroy it, I also pierced my own ears! Six times! This is an age of experimentation.

That being said...OP you're young and you are learning about the internet...I hope you got your friend's permission to post her photo and I hope you'll learn to develop a thick skin about posting online because people feel more free on the internet to say things they normally would be too polite to say in real life.

luluj
September 15th, 2011, 09:05 AM
You gave your best friend a mullet ? Why ?????!???
I am sorry, but that is awful looking :( It is not flattering to her features, it is very uneven and the shortest layers are way too short. I would be in utter tears if I were her. I know it sounds harsh, but I would consider this a hair "disaster". I am not trying to hurt your feelings, but there is no way for me to sugar coat how bad I think this haircut is.

I agree with UltaBelle. Nothing more to say, sorry.:(

vanillabones
September 15th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Looks just like my hair to be honest, except I cry over mine, feel ugly, and it definitely wasn't intentional :/

AlannaMaria
September 15th, 2011, 09:17 AM
If this isn't meant to be tongue-in-cheek, I highly doubt that the OP did this to her friend's hair without her friend telling her she wanted that particular style. Maybe her friend is just super quirky and cuts her hair enough to want to change things around a lot. I know a girl that frequently shaves one side of her head and leaves the rest, just because she wants to. Not saying it's for me, but hey--different strokes for different folks.

PinkyCat
September 15th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Not cute or flattering.
At 15 - she should know better. We're not talking about a 9 year old here. :disgust:

pixiedust
September 15th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Looks just like my hair to be honest, except I cry over mine, feel ugly, and it definitely wasn't intentional :/

I'm in the same situation. If this is a joke than I'm offended, whether the OP is 15 or 45. It is, in my opinion, to the same effect as going to a weight loss group with pictures of obese women and laughing about how big they are. You just don't post this type of 'joke' on this type of forum. :rolleyes: Doesn't ebaumsworld have a forum? I'm sure they'd find this funny.

Mairéad
September 15th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I just got my pixie mullet cut off and it's the best thing I've done all summer. I couldn't imagine putting an intentional one in my hair. :(

MissAlida
September 15th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Wow...just wow...and not in a good way ...

Othala
September 15th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Who is this Justin guy.....?

When I was 15 my hair was cut and dyed in all sorts of weird and what I thought was cool ways but looking back it was dreadful, LOL. It's just part of youthful experimenting I guess as long as no harm is intended or received.

OP, I'm guessing you might be shocked by some of the responses you have received on this thread. I have this to say to you....come out, come out wherever you are. You can't hide forever (heheheheheheh). Just kidding, LOL.

Sunshineliz
September 15th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Bit harsh much guys? To the OP and her friend?

Do I like the mullet hair style? No, and I never will. But I find it interesting that you are willing to experiment (and your friend is willing to let you.) You both have more guts on that than I would. When I was 12 I wasn't willing to wait for my mom to come home and cut my bangs to get them out of my face so I cut it myself and then cried because it wasn't straight.

I saw on your profile that you want to be a stylist and that is great. Of course you're not going to be professional-grade at 15--few people would be. I'm definitely not a professional, but I cut DH's hair and all my kids' hair and cut friends' hair for free in college. My mom taught us kids to cut each other's hair (in the most simple sense with no outrageous or difficult cuts) because she thought it was important to learn. Yes, my brothers and dad had to sport some awful cuts that mom fixed as best she could (although dad was balding so that was always an easy fix for mom thank goodness) but we learned. My point is, take this as a learning experience and a fun experiment and move on. I'm sure when you've had more experience and training you can find out what looks best on people and cut accordingly.

All that said, as long as your friend is happy with it, that is all that matters.

Magicknthenight
September 15th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Wow. The responses surprised me. I'm not saying being honest is bad..but I didn't really think anything instantly bad at first. I thought hm it looks alright..not something I'd want in my hair but not horrible. I've had friends get something similar (with the longest layer being thicker) for a good amount of money and they loved it. When they styled the cut they looked pretty good with it too. I just had to look at it in their perspective. I mean theirs so many worse pictures out there. She shared it as something she had done to someones hair they seemed happy with. I've seen many here get upset at people saying things like this to them in real life about a style they love. Besides..Who didn't wear an odd hair style at least once in their teen years? :p:D

Fireweed
September 15th, 2011, 10:16 AM
That is a cut that will be very hard to grew out. It will take years to get it back to all one lenght. What were you thinking ? This is a hair board for growing hair.

StephanieB
September 15th, 2011, 11:12 AM
double post -- sorry

the board found my story too shocking and double-posted it LOL

StephanieB
September 15th, 2011, 11:13 AM
When I was a kid (okay, I was 9... younger than this o.p.'s 15), I took my mother's kitchen shears, one hot summer day, and hacked off my best friend, Donna's, long hair, out in the shade of the backyard patio.

And I mean LONG hair! Donna's thick hair was longer than tailbone length! And thicker than anything I'd ever encountered. It was so totally alien as compared with my own baby-fine very thin hair hat was, then mid-back-ish length.

Donna was hot, it was in the heat o the summertime (late July, IIRC)... and she wanted to be rid of her hair. And I wanted to know what it was like to cut hair. Perfect match - two best friends. lmao

Well, I went into the house, grabbed Mother's kitchen shears..... you know, the ones used on chickens, and such (no real sharpness about their blades)... and took the back outside. We sat in lawn chairs on the patio, and I hacked off Donna's hair in hanks - after first separating her thick air into layers and having her hold the top layers up so I could get to the bottom layers first. I took the first cut at poor Donna's ear lbe height. *snip* and did the entire bottom layer that length. Then i did a middle layer the same ear length, and then her top layer. It was horribly uneven. I just hacked away at it.

In my defense - I didn't know any better! OMG!! I just didn't know any better!!

Finally - far too late - my mother, realizing that we girls had been too quiet for way too long, came outside to see what we were up to.

I still can close my eyes and see, in my mind, my mother's look of complete shock on her face as she surveyed the damage: 3-foot-long strns of thick hair all over the back yard lawn, strewn about us, me behind Donna, with a big grin on my face, and the shears still in my hand, ready to take another cut.

"Oh! Oh, my God! Oh, God, Oh, No! Oh, no!! Oh, my God, no!! Stephane - STOP!! Don't cut that! Oh, Oh my God... Stephanie, Stop it now! Stop!! Don't..."

(hysteria beginning to set into my mother's voice as tears sprang from her eyes)

"I only have this last cut to go, Mom."

*snip*

"AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! Oh, dear God! What am I going to tell Dawn?! How could this happen here? Why would you... What possessed you to cut Donna's gorgeous hair off? Why would you... Oh, dear God!! Oh, my God!"

Mother's shrieks garnered the neighbors' attention.

Ruth: "Jane? What's wrong? Do you need help? What's the mat--- Oh, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!"

Leona: "Jane? What's all the fuss about? Oh, dear God in heaven!"

Erica: "Hey, everyone, what's wrong? Why is everyone... Oh, my Lord! Oh! Oh! Oh, Jane! Weren't you watching them?"

My mother was by now bawling her eyes out and asking hw she was going to tell Donna's mother about this...

Donna was so calm, and glad to have lost all of that heavy, hot hair. Of course, she hadn't seen herself, yet, either. lol
She even said, "Maybe you can spread it out on the lawn, Mrs Kahn, and feed the birds with it."

Ruth Grace (older than the other women and mother of five) took charge of the situation first; she told my mother to go inside and call Donna's mother and tell her what had happened, and she (Mrs Grace) made us help her pick up all of the cut hair. She had words with us, too - harsh words - during the clean-up.

Throughout, Donna insisted that she wanted the haircut and to be rid of her long hair.

Donna's mother, Dawn, finally came in her late-1960s Cadillac convertible. She said little, other than to ask Donna if she was satisfied with her haircut. Donna said she was happy, although maybe it could be evened out a bit?

Ultimately, Dawn's hairdresser evened out the cut... a very short 'do... and Donna always swore that she was happy with it. But she did grow it back long again, although she never had it longer than mid-back length after that.

So I can understand it if two 15-yr-olds chose to experiment with cutting hair. But I really seriousy hope that the mulleted girl is as happy with her cut as my friend, Donna, was with hers.

alwayssmiling
September 15th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Stephanie I felt a little anxious just reading your story! Your poor mum having to explain that! :eek:

Last week my sister and her friend "experimented" with her hair. Dipping her waist length hair into bleach to get this trendy dip died look - result? Crispy, dried out looking, see through 4" ends! My sister is 42! - Will she ever learn? She was devastated. :rolleyes:

Signe
September 15th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Wow...I hope this was meant as a joke only because this is the meanest thread I have ever read. You should be ashamed of yourselves... if you have nothing nice to say then keep it to yourself.

I am actually aghast at the responses I have read here and am reconsidering participating so much on such a hypocritical, hateful forum.
Big ups to those who stood up for the OP...and for the record, that haircut looks like a lot of the trendy European mullets I see about, so obviously loads of people would like it/ think it looks cool.

Mairéad
September 15th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Even though my comment is possible to take in a negative way others have me slightly gasped.

I wouldn't like it and don't find it particularly cute, but if they do. :gabigrin:

Nastasia
September 15th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Seriously, guys? We all talk so much about how friendly and welcoming this forum is, and this is what happens? UltraBella, you should be ashamed of yourself for starting that dogpile. It's often the first response that sets the tone of a thread, and you sure did set it.

Cowgirl16
September 15th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Some posts may have been a bit "harsh" on this thread but I certainly don't feel any of the responses fall into the "hateful" category.

When I was 15 I used to cut my friends bangs, but that is as far as I went. I would hate to screw up my friends hair.

Either the OP's friend likes her cut or she has already gone to have it fixed professionally :shrug:

PinkyCat
September 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Seriously, guys? We all talk so much about how friendly and welcoming this forum is, and this is what happens? UltraBella, you should be ashamed of yourself for starting that dogpile. It's often the first response that sets the tone of a thread, and you sure did set it.

The OP started the "dogpile" herself. Seriously. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If OP didn't want them, she shouldn't have posted.

sun-kissed
September 15th, 2011, 12:02 PM
The OP started the "dogpile" herself. Seriously. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If OP didn't want them, she shouldn't have posted.
The opinions stated on this thread make me want to throw my laptop out the window. The OP posted something that she stated as being "cute", and look at the responses. This is an amazing forum, with amazing people, and I have never seen such a horrible thread full of rude posts.

kanaka
September 15th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Seriously, guys? We all talk so much about how friendly and welcoming this forum is, and this is what happens?

I agree with you Nastasia. Frankly, I didn't like those comments,that's the reason didn't post any comment till now.

For me, if that girl likes her haircut, its fine.

UltraBella
September 15th, 2011, 12:16 PM

Ashamed of myself ? No. I gave my honest opinion, I truly think it is an absolutely horrible haircut.
Maybe you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to sensor my opinion, mine does hold just as much weight as yours after all.

Unzadi
September 15th, 2011, 12:17 PM
If the OP's friend likes her hair, that's what matters. I think the thick bangs draw attention to her lovely eyes.

kanaka
September 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
If the OP's friend likes her hair, that's what matters.

You are absolutely right :)

gretchen_hair
September 15th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Don't blame a horrible haircut on UB, she is a hair stylist and was offering her *honest* but NOT hateful in any way....opinion.

Don't take it out on the laptop! Would you rather we lie and say it looks great? Or NOT say anything at all and the OP thinks that is an acceptable haircut for her friend? No one was hateful or rude, just being honest. :shrug:

The opinions stated on this thread make me want to throw my laptop out the window. The OP posted something that she stated as being "cute", and look at the responses. This is an amazing forum, with amazing people, and I have never seen such a horrible thread full of rude posts.

No one was hateful, just honest. Like I asked in the previous quote, would it be better to lie and make her think it looks good? Or to stay silent and let her think that the cut looks great and she will continue practicing horrible cuts on her friends head?

I think if something looks that bad, someone should be alerted so that they know they shouldn't continue this on their best friends head. The OP isn't the one that has to deal with it, her hair is long, curly and beautiful. The OP's friend, well....that's a whole nother ball of wax. :( And to me, it would be hypocritical to either lie or to keep silent when 90 percent of us are in shock at the cut.

Wow...I hope this was meant as a joke only because this is the meanest thread I have ever read. You should be ashamed of yourselves... if you have nothing nice to say then keep it to yourself.

I am actually aghast at the responses I have read here and am reconsidering participating so much on such a hypocritical, hateful forum.
Big ups to those who stood up for the OP...and for the record, that haircut looks like a lot of the trendy European mullets I see about, so obviously loads of people would like it/ think it looks cool.

MajorasMask
September 15th, 2011, 12:30 PM
UltraBella wasn't attacking the girl, she even made a second post explaining that further, that it was her being honest about it. We shouldn't be angry at eachother, just accept different opinions. If you can accept OP's take on the cut, which I think we can all agree to SOME extent, is leaning on the extreme side, then surely you can accept the flipside to another "extreme" look on it, as some of you say. It's the Internet people. It's LHC. We are all honest people here, and I've come to appreciate that and love that. Why can't you?

MajorasMask
September 15th, 2011, 12:31 PM
^Agreed, Gretchen_Hair. My thoughts exactly.

sun-kissed
September 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM
@Gretchen_hair, I do agree with you on many points, but I don't like it at all how the 'honest opinions' where presented to the OP. That is what I found rude, not the fact that people didn't like the cut. I do think that we should be honest, for the exact reasons you stated, but I don't think we should just dogpile all over the poor girl! Do you get that? I'm sorry if I am out of line here, but I would be heartbroken if I was OP and read this thread.

UltraBella
September 15th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Here's the truth : I posted several times that I was not trying to hurt her feelings and it was not my intention to be too rough, but that I had no possible way to make a supportive comment about the haircut. If that is not enough for some of you, well, I am perfectly okay with that. It's okay if you don't agree and it's okay if you think the cut is lovely. But I don't. I am entitled to that. I did not say anything about the OP herself, I like her and I think she is a great addition to this forum, but if she did indeed cut her friend's hair into a mullet, then I think she made a mistake. It doesn't mean she isn't still a great kid.

Personally, if my daughter (who is currently 15 also) did this to someone else's hair, I would be quite unhappy. Even if the friend requested it, I would be upset, because consequences aren't always immediate. If she did it to herself, fine, but to take responsibility for another person's appearance with something as important as hair, and in the difficult teen years no less, is serious business.
I see teen girls make choices in my salon weekly that they regret for a very long time. I see girls in tears over what a friend or parent attempted with their hair. A fun night of hair experimenting can turn into 3 years of grow out hell. Sometimes they like the new look, until they get to school. That can be BRUTAL. Way more brutal than anything anyone on this forum has said.......

HairFaerie
September 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I really don't think the cut itself is *that* bad. It is even on both sides and it is a style after all, rather you (collective) like it or not.

My goodness, if I pulled out my old photo albums from my teen years - I am sure I could find some WAY worse ones than this! I had a mullet just like this in the 80s except it was PERMED!

If everyone involved is happy with it, then so be it! Everyone has a different standard for what is "cute" or not.

I say if her friend wants to rock the mullet, then YAY for her! :rockerdud

Honesty is sometimes a matter of opinion and isn't the ultimate "Truth". One person's idea of a horrible haircut is another person's source of happiness and fun.

I also don't think anyone was being hateful with their opinions, they were just expressing their opinion openly.
We don't have to agree with each others' opinions. Gosh, look at the stuff that gets posted other places about long hair - people have the opinion that it is "outdated", "gross", "dirty", "ugly", etc. Opinions are just opinions. It's what you (collective, again) are happy with that matters.

pes3108
September 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Wow.... just.... wow...... :drama:

lara grace
September 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
15 really isn't that young, like people in here are saying.. It's old enough to know the consequences of your actions. Sure I experimented loads with my hair three years ago when I was 15. But there is experimenting and just plain ridiculous.. I can't imagine a 15 year old that would inflict that on themself. Anyway to me it looks fake, looks like clip in extensions coming out of the bottom so I'm not taking it that seriously.

Becky Safari
September 15th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Wow.... just.... wow...... :drama:

Hey! Pass that popcorn on over here! :eyebrows:

PinkyCat
September 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/6/8/128889868449992572.jpg

Becky9679
September 15th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Personally I do not like that look, however that is just an opinion.

We all have different views on what looks good and I am very aware that others may think certain aspects of MY appearance are horrible - facial piercings for example, which once earned me a comment of 'disgusting' from an elderly man in the street, and a 'revolting' from a friend when I said I was considering stretching my ears. If the OP thinks it's nice and her friend is happy with it that's what matters.

BTW, the last time I had a 'should know better' moment when it comes to hair I was several years older than the OP - age 18 I decided to hack my own hair off at the neck. Just got it in a ponytail and chop, chop. I also refused to let my mum neaten it!

Becky Safari
September 15th, 2011, 01:21 PM
A well-played cartoon involving both hair AND cheese?

:applause

gretchen_hair
September 15th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I do understand that brutal honesty seems harsh. But, I would hope that the OP takes a look, maybe a step back and see how others do indeed view this situation.

I would rather the OP feel a little miffed that most of us think the cut isn't flattering than to humiliate her friend. She probably thinks it looks great judging by her first post and maybe her friend thinks so too. I hope it continues on with the friend loving her do and I hope that no one calls her out at school and makes fun of her. But I am skeptical of a positive outcome.

No one is being mean or rude or degrading anyone, no one is assaulting the OP's character (though at first I did wonder WHY she did this and if she did it on purpose as punishment)

This looks like a disaster and I hope the OP learns form it. If she doesn't, her friend will be the one to bear the brunt of it.

@Gretchen_hair, I do agree with you on many points, but I don't like it at all how the 'honest opinions' where presented to the OP. That is what I found rude, not the fact that people didn't like the cut. I do think that we should be honest, for the exact reasons you stated, but I don't think we should just dogpile all over the poor girl! Do you get that? I'm sorry if I am out of line here, but I would be heartbroken if I was OP and read this thread.

Ligeia_13
September 15th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Whether this is a joke or not ( I will confess, it looks like a little ear length shaggy wig over dark shoulder length hair to me :p), I doubt the girl would have let her friend do this without permission.

And if indeed she cuts her hair every once in a while, she probably doesn't care if it looks bad for a while cause she's having fun with it. Its not that big of a deal.

Magicknthenight
September 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM
To a lot of people hair is just hair. It grows back. Its there to cut, dye, wash, put up in ponytails when ever they want. Maybe shes just not a big hair person. I think everyone has the right to share their opinion. Just in a positive manner.

Kathie
September 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I'm wondering what your friends hair was like before?

oktobergoud
September 15th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Whether this is a joke or not ( I will confess, it looks like a little ear length shaggy wig over dark shoulder length hair to me :p), I doubt the girl would have let her friend do this without permission.

And if indeed she cuts her hair every once in a while, she probably doesn't care if it looks bad for a while cause she's having fun with it. Its not that big of a deal.

Aaah you are right, it DOES look like a wig over shoulder length hair :o

And honestly? I don't like the cut, but I can imagine that someone would like that. I have actually seen some people with that cut! I even saw a woman who had the top shaved and dark-red, with a platinum mullet. It's not really my style but I guess there are people who just.. really like mullets! :P It IS possible ;)

Like some other poster said as well: to some people, hair is just hair! I used to be one of those persons as well and I have given myself some terrible haircuts haha! She's young, be crazy!

RitaPG
September 15th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I really don't think the cut itself is *that* bad. It is even on both sides and it is a style after all, rather you (collective) like it or not.

If everyone involved is happy with it, then so be it! Everyone has a different standard for what is "cute" or not.

I say if her friend wants to rock the mullet, then YAY for her! :rockerdud

Honesty is sometimes a matter of opinion and isn't the ultimate "Truth". One person's idea of a horrible haircut is another person's source of happiness and fun.

My thoughts exactly, if the kids are open to experiment and are happy about it, then it's not such a disaster after all, whether we like it or not. Let them be.
Besides, a lot of the mullets out there are not the side effect of a grown out pixie, some people actually like that cut.

Noreth
September 15th, 2011, 02:12 PM
To a lot of people hair is just hair. It grows back. Its there to cut, dye, wash, put up in ponytails when ever they want. Maybe shes just not a big hair person. I think everyone has the right to share their opinion. Just in a positive manner.
I agree :agree:. If she wanted it and likes it, it was her choice. If not, "refer to above" or, it was still her choice. I don't think she'd let her best friend run completely rampant on her hair, and if she did, she must not have cared about it that much. Then there's the possibility that it's a joke :shrug:. Either way, this is LHC, where we solve problems and amend differences with dancing cheese smilies, not hurtful words. :cheese::cheese::cheese:

Misti
September 15th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I've got to say, I am truly appalled at what I have read here today.

I think this isn't the forum I thought I was participating in.

NotInPortland
September 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Something tells me that's a wig over shoulder length hair perhaps eh?? ;) Either way whatever floats your boat, may as well have some fun with your hair if that's what you both wanted to do :)

PinkyCat
September 15th, 2011, 02:29 PM
http://runswithcarrots.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/gober-cheese2.jpg

wooliswonderful
September 15th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I have a 15 yo and although I don't quite understand all the things she wants to do to her hair, It's her choice as long as she doesn't put harsh chemicals on her head. I'd be more upset about her or a friend experimenting with dye or perms/relaxers than a haircut. I wouldn't want her to cut a friend's hair though without parental consent.
If the haircut is real I don't think it's that horrible.:shrug:

UltraBella
September 15th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Thank you, I just spit my tea all over my iPad !!!! Not sure if that is awesome or terrifying, but we all needed it ;)

slz
September 15th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Thinthondiel
September 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Exactly. To some people, hair is just hair - something that grows out of your head and will always grow back again. I was the same way when I was 15, and older... I cut my own bangs, let friends cut my hair, let my sister cut my hair to a pixie (which turned out shorter than she had planned every time). It was fun.

Come to think of it, I still do that... I cut my own bangs a lot (except now I'm growing them out), and I experimented with cutting my own layers a while ago, with no clue about how it would look when I was done cutting. And that was even after I joined LHC. I cut a lot of hair and ended up with what I thought was a very cute shaggy cut, although I'm sure professional hairdressers or a fair few LHC-ers would hate it. And if I had botched my hair, no big deal, I would just have gone to a professional and had it cut into a pixie.

Sometimes, honest opinions are only rude and hurtful (and I've seen a lot of rude posts on this thread), in which case it's best not to voice them, IMO. If the OP's friend lets her do this often, that would suggest that she doesn't worry about the way her hair looks and just enjoys playing with it and having fun. Who are we to say that that's wrong and that she has to conform to society's standards of beauty? :rolleyes: It's not like all LHC-ers do that anyway - I'm sure a lot of people think knee-length hair looks awful, and we know that a lot of people think that women should only wear short hair after a certain age. Do we listen to them? Of course not. Because why should they have a say in how we want to wear our hair?

swearnsue
September 15th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I used to believe that drinking and pot smoking is OK with the exception of while driving a car. I've just added hair cutting to the exceptions.
Seriously, that is a wig over her hair and the poster got us good! Well done and that wedge of cheese with the hair growing out of it made me laugh so hard I lost a little bit of bladder control!

physicschick
September 15th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Mod note: All comments, whether in response to the OP or to other posters, must be phrased respectfully. Consider how others will feel when reading your posts.

(Folks, no mods have been on for a couple hours and this thread has grown to nearly 100 posts? Can't we do better than this?)

UltraBella
September 15th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Mostly the 15 year old girl having fun with a friend in all unseriousness who has been shat on repeatedly by supposedly grown-ups, heh.

What a way with words you have.
I still think cheese is best when shared with everyone. :cheese:

wooliswonderful
September 15th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Well the op and I are are both WI cheeseheads. :eyebrows:
Go Packers!!! :D

mallorykay13
September 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I really think this almost needs locked. Hair is hair. It grows back. If it was just for fun? Hey, she can go pixie she can do WHATEVER. Who cares. We choose to have long hair and some people hate it or whatever. We shouldn't be discriminating. Esp. on this forum.

Kayla Nyx
September 15th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I am here, returned from school and babysitting. I am a bit hurt by some of these, but yes, I almost expected it. My friend gave me permission to post her pictures, yes she liked it, yes it is all her hair

mallorykay13
September 15th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I am here, returned from school and babysitting. I am a bit hurt by some of these, but yes, I almost expected it. My friend gave me permission to post her pictures, yes she liked it, yes it is all her hair

If she liked it there is no reason to worry about anyone else's comments. :D Love you girl.

pepperminttea
September 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM
yes she liked it, yes it is all her hair

I'm glad she likes it. :) The great thing about shorter lengths is how much you can mess with them. And at 15, why not? I hope she breaks out the crazy colours and enjoys herself. :D

Mairéad
September 15th, 2011, 03:41 PM

I hope no one ruffled too many feathers. I hate it when people become upset. :o
It's almost a little hypocritical for me to say anything about this because I used to cut my own hair, and in all fairness it wasn't even a style. At least this is a hair style, and I'm glad she likes it! When I cut my hair there were just random chucks of hair I snipped trying to make "layers" and then I'd bleach and manic panic stripes in my hair. It was, woah. Haha!

Your age is the age to do what you want with your hair because unless you have a flexible and "style liberal" field of work in the future we'll all eventually have to become all bunned up and "proper" in the real world.

sun-kissed
September 15th, 2011, 03:51 PM
OP, I think it has a very unique style. I myself would never do anything as crazy as that(I'm a very calm, princess kind of person), but I have some more... well, wild friends who have done such styles and wore them with pride. So if your friend loves it, then who's to say it's "bad"? It's her hair, after all, and her style! And who knows, she may even start a trend. ;D
I'm glad she likes it. :) The great thing about shorter lengths is how much you can mess with them. And at 15, why not? I hope she breaks out the crazy colours and enjoys herself. :DOh my word yes, a few colourfull accent stripes would suit it so well!

Kayla Nyx
September 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I hope no one ruffled too many feathers. I hate it when people become upset. :o
It's almost a little hypocritical for me to say anything about this because I used to cut my own hair, and in all fairness it wasn't even a style. At least this is a hair style, and I'm glad she likes it! When I cut my hair there were just random chucks of hair I snipped trying to make "layers" and then I'd bleach and manic panic stripes in my hair. It was, woah. Haha!

Your age is the age to do what you want with your hair because unless you have a flexible and "style liberal" field of work in the future we'll all eventually have to become all bunned up and "proper" in the real world.

Only a few feathers :D After sniffling for a while, i had to make sure again my friend liked it, and yes, she does. Im now only worried about people being upset over the squabbles on who was being to harsh.. I'm sorry! :(

bluesnowflake
September 15th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I don't really like it, but if she's happy with it it's her hair.

Magicknthenight
September 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Only a few feathers :D After sniffling for a while, i had to make sure again my friend liked it, and yes, she does. Im now only worried about people being upset over the squabbles on who was being to harsh.. I'm sorry! :(

I don't think you have anything to apologize for. ;) She likes it. You confirmed that. So all people can do from here on is be happy that shes happy. The squabbles could have happened on any thread. Hopefully this thread can turn a bit more positive now :blossom:

alwayssmiling
September 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Don't be sorry - I'm sorry for thinking it was extensions (I really did think you were having a giggle with us :p ) If she is still happy with it thats all that matters. I always wanted to be a hairdresser but I couldn't cope with the thought of someone not liking their hair :D - it takes a bit of confidence.

BTW - my teenage pictures would make you laugh. I used to cut my own hair all the time, perm it, bleach it, colour it with food colouring. My mum used to cry...and when I came home with piercings she couldn't even look at me. Happy days!

Tealpuffin
September 15th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I was a bit shocked about peoples responses! I joined this forum because it is full of lovely people. I am only 2 years older than the op and would have been pretty upset by some of the coments. As they say beauty is In the eye of the beholder. Just some food for thought x

Kayla Nyx
September 15th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I think i still want to cut hair.. just nothing crazy anymore!

this is also another friend of mine. at school she was harassed about her long hair (which was around waist) and asked me to cut it. I was hesitant, but I did.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/34728_138820372830650_100001080631215_197180_63333 31_n.jpg

and it turned out like this

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/166200_163174623728558_100001080631215_314873_3007 720_n.jpg
i cut it with a scissors.. hehe

Of the Fae
September 15th, 2011, 04:08 PM

*laughing out loud*

Thanks for that :P

Hmmm, such an amount of commotion!
I must admit, that lush curls would look so much better on this girl, and it looks like her hair is naturally thick, but well, I had a mullet once too (also at age 15)..
Anyway I agree that this is either a joke or we scared away the thread starter upper:P She might be falling off her chair in laughter over our reactions or maybe feeling very bad :(

Edit: woops I did not read the last pages :$
I like the second haircut !!

Ligeia_13
September 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Oh, I like that last haircut, Kayla! Shame she got stick about her long hair though :( people are so awful sometimes.

alwayssmiling
September 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM
There you go, that looks great! - you clearly have cutting skills and friends that are quite happy for you to restyle their hair. Go for it!

sun-kissed
September 15th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Oh I love it! I almost got my BSL hair styled like that for highschool, but chose to try and grow it to Classic instead. :p

Kayla Nyx
September 15th, 2011, 04:24 PM
she then asked me to cut it again

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7ACJbCPBsO4/TnJ4m1YCsLI/AAAAAAAAADA/N8ymj822tKE/s512/0316011617.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-OR6txO6nn3M/TnJ4nG5pSwI/AAAAAAAAADE/Is3mUi1fpr4/s512/0316011617a.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hDexGQWG7L8/TnJ4m-T8gtI/AAAAAAAAAC8/Pg-FPa_hd58/s512/0316011617b.jpg

which ended up at this

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eQHFGLz9w4k/TnJ4n1icJtI/AAAAAAAAADI/5IeJxzMcG_g/s512/0316011931.jpg

Sunshineliz
September 15th, 2011, 04:27 PM

this is also another friend of mine. at school she was harassed about her long hair (which was around waist) and asked me to cut it. I was hesitant, but I did.

and it turned out like this

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/166200_163174623728558_100001080631215_314873_3007 720_n.jpg
i cut it with a scissors.. hehe

I like this one! Good job! (And you have some very trusting friends.;) Good for you.)

pink.sara
September 15th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hmm... Hair experiments are fun I'll give you two that.
But dear god I would never let a friend out in public like that! She's cute, but the hair? Best left unsaid I think.

DonyaleM
September 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Not for me, but I think you are a good stylist if you can give your customers (I.e. Your friends) what they want.

irishlady
September 15th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Just stating that I don't mean any offense in my earlier post. It was simply a joke, even if it seemed rude, that's just my sense of humour sometimes, I never want to hurt people's feelings.

I do think this post was tongue in cheek after all, so I was playing a long, if I was too mean then I apologise :)

Edit: Want to add that the OP is very talented though! And if your friend likes it, that is all that truly matters. Sorry again if I upset you, I am very embarassed, this is why I'm quiet and shy in real life.

UltraBella
September 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM

The squabbles have no reflection on you, so don't worry about that one bit.

ellen732
September 15th, 2011, 05:32 PM

In high school, before I was a licensed hairstylist, I would cut anyone's hair who was willing. I think you will make a great stylist.

AnnaJamila
September 15th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I am not being mean when I say this....I am being sensitive to the girl in the photo.

Teens already have a hard time at school, this girl already has acne and is a little chubby (I am chubby too, I am not being mean or rude when I point this out) She needs to enhance her looks with flattering makeup, clothing and hair styles. This hair cut is not flattering.

I don't think it's harsh to be truthful about how bad the cut is. If we all tell the OP...*yes yes yes, it's lovely, you should be a hair stylist*.....that is a lie and maybe one day she will end up being talked about on a *The hair stylist gave me a mullet* thread.

I feel bad for her friend, this does not look attractive or cute in any way. It is not enhancing the friends looks, it will most likely get her picked on in school.

I would encourage the OP to stop cutting hair until she goes to beauty school and gets a license. If that is her calling, she needs training.

Maybe the gal likes it and all is well, maybe the school kids or others won't make fun of her. But the responses here lead me to believe otherwise.

And there are people in the world who would say something similar about your flattering makeup, clothing and hair styles. Some people like things that others don't. I would never wear dreadlocks or a bubble gum pink 'do, but that doesn't mean I get to go online and talk about how unflattering I think those styles are on a specific person, especially when that specific person could very easily come online and read the comments about them.

I'm not trying to be rude, just a reminder that different people like different things. At the end of the day, she looks happy and that's really all that matters. :flower:

Juneii
September 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM
oh... oh my... definitely not my cup of tea not even a sip. But hey, your friend likes it and that's all that matters. Gosh, cutting my own hair was so terrible when I was in high school and middle school. I wanted the wispy face framing layers around my face and ended up with strange antennae like pieces that made my face look long and unattractive. So good job Kayla for making the front part of the mullet cute at least.

supbanana
September 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I love the picture of KB you added in the update (the outfit is adorable as well! I'm jealous that she can pull off yellow) - my sister had the long bangs with the spiky back and I think it's the best style she's ever had! I'm glad KB likes the cut - that's the only thing that matters. :D

I'm bummed that your other friend was made fun of for having long hair. I just don't understand how people can be so malicious to others.

irishlady
September 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I didn't think you did anything to be mean :)You have talent! Don't give it up.

Kayla Nyx
September 15th, 2011, 05:57 PM
thank you!

Raiscake
September 15th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Rrrraaawr... so much cattiness in this thread. I can't believe some people had the nerve to jump to conclusions about you and your friend. So much for a kind and accepting forum. Blech.

You're doing a great thing for your friends. Hair experiments are fun and you're welcome to do anything at your age. And if your friend decided she doesn't like the mullet anymore, you can always cut it again. Don't let those meanies (I had another word in mind but...) get you down!

GlassWidow
September 15th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I stand by my earlier statement that you should consider barber college after high school. It obviously makes you happy to style other people's hair, and they are happy with the outcome...why not make money off something that makes you happy?

UltraBella
September 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I like the hair of the girl who went from blonde and long to short and very dark, it's super cute.

MsBubbles
September 15th, 2011, 08:39 PM
That is a cut that will be very hard to grew out. It will take years to get it back to all one lenght. What were you thinking ? This is a hair board for growing hair.

I don't agree that it'll take years to grow out. I had several mullets as a teen (in the 80s) and was able to grow them out within a year. Didn't look wonderful but hey I was young and could get away with it!

And speaking of young...I do remember doing goofy things like this at 15, and no I wasn't old enough to know better. If the OP's friends are truly fine with their hair cuts that's all I care about. Just as long as the friends were volunteering their heads of hair up to the OP to practice on, and weren't pressured into it - in any way at all.

Oh and PS...where the heck is Justin Bieber?!

cuddledumplin
September 15th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Well, it's just hair, you know. I'm happy if she is. Geez, what is it about mullets that causes such hatred? At least it has personality. Do tight perms or beehives do this to people? I'm sure we've all had haircuts or worn clothes that others found unflattering. What do you say when you think a friend does it? Also, maybe she likes her round face and wants to emphasise it.

Kayla Nyx
September 15th, 2011, 09:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kffacxfA7G4&ob=av2e

this is Justin Bieber

amantha
September 15th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Wow. I can't believe grown adults actually felt the need to be rude to a 15 year old. I understand people are entitled to their own opinion, but some of these opinions could have been voiced in a much more positive manner. Why are some people so irate and feel so compelled about voicing their negative opinions that they feel the need to be rude to children? Especially over something so trivial as hair (yes I understand this is a long hair forum, but seriously...)? I'm only 24 and even I know better....

And here I was thinking I actually joined a forum filled with nice, positive people. :(

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 15th, 2011, 11:30 PM
You guys are all grown adults, much older than this girl. Dont be catty, this is not highschool.

I like her hair before, the first photo, the short style looks cute. I do not like the mullet, because i remember when I was 14 and had a hair cut similar to this, and its just not flattering on ANYONE, haha, but if she likes it than more power to her.

I like the second hair cut too, i dont really like her hair black though. ^-^ But when you cut the blondes hair a first time, it looked cute! :)

AnqeIicDemise
September 15th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Hey, to each their own. If she likes it, good for her!

It takes a certain type of cojones to be able to wear a mullet. *I* for one, don't have them.... most people don't. I did have a pair of brass ones as a kid (and to some degree still do) and often had friends cut my hair. Or I did too. I lack friends who have the courage to help me in my hair journeys. :(

You ladies have fun and continue to experiment! :D

pixiedust
September 15th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Everybody else is right. I was wrong in assuming it was a joke and suggesting that the haircut was bad enough to be a joke. I can't say I went entirely through cosmetology school without giving somebody a bad haircut :p

I like her hair before, the first photo, the short style looks cute. I do not like the mullet, because i remember when I was 14 and had a hair cut similar to this, and its just not flattering on ANYONE, haha, but if she likes it than more power to her.

I like the second hair cut too, i dont really like her hair black though. ^-^ But when you cut the blondes hair a first time, it looked cute! :)

Agreed. the cut and color in the first photo is adorable!

And of course I personally like the blonde girl best when she had super long hair but this is the LHC after all :wigtongue

I apologize to both the OP and the community for contributing negative energy to the forum and will try to avoid doing so in the future. :o

christine1989
September 16th, 2011, 12:01 AM
It is obvious from seeing ALL the pictures that the OP is quite talented at cutting hair. It sounds like her friend asked for a mullet and definatly got what she asked for. Is that not the mark of a good hair stylist though- giving people what they ask for no matter how silly? ;)

Kyla
September 16th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I admire you and your friend's bravery. All throughout my teenage years (which are not quite finished yet) I have been too apprehensive to venture beyond trims, temporary dyes, and parting differently.

Soulina
September 16th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Well. I woud newer chose mullet for me, but my friend (also preatty round faced) had similiar cut. She colored it to all the colors of rainbow. Darker to the top of the head and light towards the ends. And it looked fine on her. Also she changed the color of her hair like socks, but that the way she was.

But the picture from infront might look cute, at least the first picture does.

longhairedlady
September 16th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Well, its not a style I would like on myself but it is executed pretty good. :) As long as she likes it thats all that matters! :)

sunshine-locks
September 16th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I did that to myself once :P but the short mullet-ness ended where a fringe would, and was purple.. the rest was light brown XD looked cute, if a little quirky :P good on your friend for being different and having the courage to stand out :D

Fufu
September 16th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.... the most important is how you feel and how you view.

We all have everything the first time. In fact, I find that you are very daring and brave to give a haircut and very lovely friend who willing to be a hair model :)

It's an experience and if this doesn't affect your friendship between you and your friend, it doesn't matter. Haircut skills can always be improved. Nothing is perfect, but we can always improve.

Take some comments here as a pinch of salt or in another way, certain words to improve on. Those not so pleasant words, just see and forget about them.

No matter what hair disaster we have from salon or from anyone, hair GROWS and it can be rectified. I hope you continue having the passion for hairstyling. Don't let this stop you from going further ^_^

Just to share, I did have a hair disaster years back. I asked my mum to help me to trim my hair.. somehow it gets shorter and shorter and both sides were very uneven, sticking here and there. No, I do not blame my mother for making my hair this way because no one intentionally want this to happen and I choose to believe the OP doesn't have any ill intention when she cut her friend's hair. And if you ask me to cut my own hair, I am sure it will turn out not even a mullet style, it will be so weird and............ indescribable, there will be no name for the style at all.

Yes, OP is not too young, but really in my opinion, no one is ever too old.

You do have a flair for hair cutting and hair styling, go forward with it. :)

Mesmerise
September 16th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I was in a salon a couple of years back waiting for my DH to get his hair cut. And I saw this woman with long hair (waist at least) getting the front cut into the most godawful mullet ever. And you know what? She was really happy with it, because it was EXACTLY what she wanted!!

(Until that day I thought mullets were jsut some kind of accidental bad haircut, as I couldn't imagine anyone actually WANTING their hair like that)

But yeah, if the OP's friend wanted that cut and likes it, THAT's what matters! I see plenty of hairstyles I'd never get myself, but if the wearer of the hair is happy then that's what really matters. I'd never say how awful it looks or how it doesn't suit them (even if I think I know better!!).

missdelarocha
September 16th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I don't wish I never did all the RIDICULOUS things I did when I was 13-16, style and personality wise (not to say that this is even bad, oh my gosh, this is bad? No.). Seriously, you do something because you want to, if there are repercussions or consequences you learn, you make future decisions based on your past and each person individually makes a decision with their own mind, it's called life.

Don't try to defend/justify your negativity if you feel there is nothing wrong with it, if you do, I don't understand, you must feel guilt.

You may all have your opinions but ultimately don't we want everybody to be happy? Regardless of what makes them happy so long as it not be intentionally harmful to others?

missdelarocha
September 16th, 2011, 04:58 AM
I hope you'll learn to develop a thick skin about posting online because people feel more free on the internet to say things they normally would be too polite to say in real life.

:D

Too true.

MsBubbles
September 16th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I'm also totally creeped out by Justin Bieber staring menacingly from behind her head. :tmi:

I know who Justin Bieber is, I just couldn't figure out what posts like the one quoted here, meant! Can't find him in any of those photos. Not that I want to see him. :)

GRU
September 16th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Ya'll should see my photos from the 70s and 80s -- you want to see bad haircuts, I could show you plenty of bad haircuts (if my mom didn't have all my photos from that period, that is).

archel
September 16th, 2011, 08:40 AM
OP, I really like the haircut on your blonde friend! I agree with the others that you may have found your calling - perhaps you'll go on to school to become a professional stylist?

smilinjenn71
September 16th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I haven't read anything but the first page on this thread but I'd like to say.....

A. How fun that your friends trust you enough to cut & color their hair?!?!
B. Looks like you should pursue Cosmetology as your career.
C. The GLORIOUS thing about hair is that it can grow back if people want it to.
D. There are SO many different style options, personalities, likes & dislikes regarding hair that it's always interesting. Good for your friends, experimenting and having fun. Life is too short to do what others think you should do all the time. And hair is one of those areas that people can let loose, try something new and it's reversible, without TOO much consequence.

ROCK ON!!!:henny:

growingpains
September 16th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Awesome that the OP came back and the comments seem to have calmed down. Just want to say, regarding some of the comments about the hairstyle being not cute, not flattering, awful, etc and the shock and horror of some members who presumed they should know better, etc:

It's just hair. There's no rule out there that says hair has to be pretty or cute or else. Seriously. By presuming we, as women or young women, need to be pretty and have nice hair at all time we are kind of promoting stereotypical ideals about how women SHOULD look.

Who says girls need nice haircuts? It all boils down to the beauty myth women in our society so faithfully adhere to. Yes, it can make life easier socially, but there is also something to be said for individuality, for someone whose confidence comes from more than just how they look or how well they fit in.

As a forum who so adamantly challenges the old people must not have long hair dogma, I would also hope that we would equally challenge notions about how women "should" look, what hairstyles we must have in order to be deemed socially acceptable, etc.

gretchen_hair
September 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
The original post had 4 pictures of the girl whose hair she cut. The pics were removed and replaced with the exception of one. One of the photos showed a poster of JB on the wall behind the young womans head. :)

I know who Justin Bieber is, I just couldn't figure out what posts like the one quoted here, meant! Can't find him in any of those photos. Not that I want to see him. :)

MsBubbles
September 16th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Gretchen Hair, so photos were removed. ok.

pgw
September 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Yeah, pictures were removed/replaced. I don’t believe there’s a single picture still there in the original post, except perhaps the second one. So now, all the responses here (rude or otherwise) really make no sense now.

irishlady
September 16th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I love the cut in the first pic! If I decide to get my hair cut short again, will you cut it like that for me? It looks awesome! lol

gretchen_hair
September 16th, 2011, 11:08 AM
The story changed a little bit too.

At first the Op showed 4 pics and said, *I cut my friends hair in a mullet, I think it's cute!*

Then after this whole ordeal of people being appalled and astonished at the state of the subjects hair, the post was hugely rewritten and pics were removed and replaced with other more flattering haircuts on different subjects.

The post now claims that the Ops friend (original subject) came to her upset, in a depressed state saying that her mother cut her bangs horribly and needed them fixed and to leave the rest of the hair alone.

The original post simply said......*I cut my friends hair in a mullet, I think it's cute, tee hee.* (or something to that effect)

This is the problem when people makes posts and then largely edit them. The original text and pics are gone and the late comers look at the posts that describe how horrified we are/were and they have no clue as to what went on and are left scratching their heads at the way the posts appear to be so rude and uncalled for.

It is actually against the rules to largely edit/remove posts for this reason.

Yeah, pictures were removed/replaced. I don’t believe there’s a single picture still there in the original post, except perhaps the second one. So now, all the responses here (rude or otherwise) really make no sense now.

Kayla Nyx
September 16th, 2011, 11:33 AM

At first the Op showed 4 pics and said, *I cut my friends hair in a mullet, I think it's cute!*

Then after this whole ordeal of people being appalled and astonished at the state of the subjects hair, the post was hugely rewritten and pics were removed and replaced with other more flattering haircuts on different subjects.

The post now claims that the Ops friend (original subject) came to her upset, in a depressed state saying that her mother cut her bangs horribly and needed them fixed and to leave the rest of the hair alone.

The original post simply said......*I cut my friends hair in a mullet, I think it's cute, tee hee.* (or something to that effect)

This is the problem when people makes posts and then largely edit them. The original text and pics are gone and the late comers look at the posts that describe how horrified we are/were and they have no clue as to what went on and are left scratching their heads at the way the posts appear to be so rude and uncalled for.

my bad D: I did not know that I could not do what I did.. I just wanted everyone to understand. I guess I've learned that I should explain a WHOLE lot more before I post something.

(sorry, would have replied sooner but I'm sick, and I have now just woken from the dead :p )

Ginny Mae
September 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM
OP, I think you were extremely brave for coming back to this thread and giving us some more context and background to the story. I agree that the thread made more sense with the original post but I can't really blame you for changing it, at least now when people read through the comments on it they'll have a more balanced perspective on what happened.

Mullet-esque styles were quite trendy for girls where I come from a few years ago, but they were generally worn with a much longer, side-swept fringe that looked more flattering. I think it's the bangs that make the style in the original picture look a bit severe, but since this was done by the girl's mother, there wasn't much you could have done about it! Once the front grows out a little it will be prettier for definite.

Also, I agree that the more you practice cutting hair, the better you'll get; whether it helps on the way to becoming a professional stylist or whether it's just to do your friends' hair for free. However, the girl in the original pictures looked to have hair a little like mine (very thick and somewhat wavy) - hair like this is extremely difficult to cut. I should know, I tried many failed experiments on my own when I was younger! It really is so difficult to get it to hang straight...I've been to several professional hair stylists who haven't got mine quite right.

SimplyViki
September 16th, 2011, 11:40 AM
my bad D: I did not know that I could not do what I did.. I just wanted everyone to understand. I guess I've learned that I should explain a WHOLE lot more before I post something.

(sorry, would have replied sooner but I'm sick, and I have now just woken from the dead :p )
It's OK. Don't worry, this thread will blow over and go under soon enough. Water under the bridge! I'm glad you're taking something from the experience and not just leaving the community altogether.

gretchen_hair
September 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Maybe I just have a thing against mullets because they were cut into my hair when I was a kid.

There's no need to be sorry, it just gets confusing when the whole post has been eidted and no one has a clue what was going on.

The other haircuts were really good! :flower: And I was wrong too....who the heck are we to say that the friend can't like mullets? It is true that variety is the spice of life. :)

pgw
September 16th, 2011, 11:43 AM
It's OK. Don't worry, this thread will blow over and go under soon enough. Water under the bridge! I'm glad you're taking something from the experience and not just leaving the community altogether.

Ditto what SimplyViki said. Live and learn.

I hope you feel better soon.

pgw
September 16th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Of course this thread isn't going to ever stop as long as we keep posting to it. :p

Sunshineliz
September 16th, 2011, 12:28 PM
You're wading your way through the forum fine. And you're doing a great job doing the hair of your friends in the ways that they want. :blossom:

Just noticed that you'd changed the original post entirely and then saw others' subsequent posts. Yeah, it is against the rules to do that. I don't blame you wanting to change it and stop people from continuing to post based solely on the first post. What people should do when that is the case is put an ETA (edited to add) at the bottom (or the top if short enough) and clarify. You could have easily left what was originally there and then added the new information. Or, if you didn't want to make the original post much bigger you could have added an ETA to say that a full explanation and other examples of your hairstyling could be found on post#(insert number here.) Then the thread still makes sense and people understand better what everyone else is saying and you still get to explain in the original post. :flower:

StephanieB
September 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM

You needn't apologize for anything. You didn't do anything wrong.

I'm glad that your friend likes her new hairdo. :D

Kayla Nyx
September 16th, 2011, 01:12 PM
You're wading your way through the forum fine. And you're doing a great job doing the hair of your friends in the ways that they want. :blossom:

Just noticed that you'd changed the original post entirely and others' subsequent posts. Yeah, it is against the rules to do that. I don't blame you wanting to change it and stop people from continuing to post based solely on the first post. What people should do when that is the case is put an ETA (edited to add) at the bottom (or the top if short enough) and clarify. You could have easily left what was originally there and then added the new information. Or, if you didn't want to make the original post much bigger you could have added an ETA to say that a full explanation and other examples of your hairstyling could be found on post#(insert number here.) Then the thread still makes sense and people understand better what everyone else is saying and you still get to explain in the original post. :flower:

I did what you mentioned with the ETA. I hope I did it right...?? :confused:

Jenw777
September 16th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I love the very first picture, that cut looks awesome on her. I may be biased though because I have that same shirt.

Kayla Nyx
September 16th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I love the very first picture, that cut looks awesome on her. I may be biased though because I have that same shirt.

That is actually my shirt! We were going out to supper and her taste in clothes.. isn't the greatest. She allows my to play dress up on her. LOL

Darian Moone
September 16th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Kayla Nyx, I applaud you for the maturity you have shown in returning to this thread several times and for being calm, kind and polite.

If I have all my facts straight, I believe I read that you want to be a hairdresser. Well, I think you're off to a great start! You have done the most important thing, which is listening to your "client" and giving them exactly what they asked for. By the photos of your friends, it also appears that you have already developed a pretty good skill level. As you grow in the field and continue to learn, especially when you go to school and become licensed, you will be taught what styles are best with particular face shapes, etc.

All in all, you did a nice job and it seems that your friends are happy with their hair. That's the best review anyone can receive - the person who got the cut likes/loves it.

I'm glad you're here. Please don't be afraid to share your future stylings with us. I think this was perhaps one big misunderstanding. It would be a shame for us to miss out of watching you grow into your career. I've been here quite a few years now and have enjoyed sharing the lives of some of our younger members and seeing them grow into wonderful adults. I hope you stay with us and allow us to share in your career (and hair/life) journey.

Best wishes to you.

:flower:

neko_kawaii
September 16th, 2011, 01:36 PM
LOL this brought back a memory from junior high. There was a girl in my PE class who's mother was a hairdresser and my classmate wanted to be a hairdresser too and she was practicing on classmates (during PE class) and asked me if I wanted my hair cut too. Now, she wasn't a friend of mine but she wasn't exactly an enemy and it did cross my mind that she could butcher my hair (intentionally or through inexperience) but I really didn't care what my hair looked like (I hardly ever brushed it) so I let her have a go. She did a very nice job trimming it.

So glad your friends like their hair cuts!

leslissocool
September 16th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I just found this thread, late like always but :

Wow. I can't believe grown adults actually felt the need to be rude to a 15 year old. I understand people are entitled to their own opinion, but some of these opinions could have been voiced in a much more positive manner. Why are some people so irate and feel so compelled about voicing their negative opinions that they feel the need to be rude to children? Especially over something so trivial as hair (yes I understand this is a long hair forum, but seriously...)? I'm only 24 and even I know better....

And here I was thinking I actually joined a forum filled with nice, positive people. :(

^^THIS! Teens get bullied enough at school and by their so called friends, is it really necessary to do it among adults? That is such a bad example IMO.

I honestly think you should go to cosmetology school. I did not like the mullet, but my sister had one for 4 years. I have had hair disasters with people I actually PAID to do m hair, to me your friend looks like she likes it. For a while it was back strong in fashion (that was when my "scene" sister had it).

When I had my first job, I had GREEN hair and they still took me :). You guys are young and free to experiment, have fun!. And if you enjoy talking to people and doing hair, I think going to school for it would be really good for you!

MasCat
September 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I second Darian Moone's opinion!

Kayla Nyx, you were really mature about this thread.

I saw the original photos. I thought I didn't like the hairdo too much, but thought "well that's what she wanted, so she's happy with it". An I saw the posts.

There is no such thing as an objective "truth" when it comes to looks and tastes. At the same time I think it's wrong to censor people's opinion BUT it's something totally different to read "In my opinion this hairdo is bad and makes the girl less beautiful in my eyes" than "oh my gooods! what did you dooo??? it's horrible and makes her ugly" - so: personal opinion vs stating an opinion and underlining that it's your own opinion.

And then: when that "truth" is stated in kind words (I don't mean that you lie, but just choose your words wisely) it is easier to take in. And if it seems like an attack - people just block it out.

All that said I think you have a lot to learn about cutting hair - and you'll learn with a passion, that many people don't have - so I think you will be a great stylist someday. And for now you're trying and learning and having fun. That's important!

PS. I totally fell in love with David Bowie in his "Labyrinth" costume and he TOTALLY rocked the mullet :)

citadel
September 16th, 2011, 02:24 PM
While, at 26, I wouldn't want that hair cut, I did some truly strange things to my own hair in early college--things that many conventional people shook their heads over. "But your hair was so beautiful! Why did you do this?" was typically the reaction. But I wasn't going for conventional beauty, or even beauty altogether. I just wanted something *different*. As long as the friend liked the style...*shrug*. I've seen a lot worse things on teens AND adults. People experiment with things. C'est la vie.

invisiblebabe
September 16th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Not a fan of the mullet myself, but hey, you did a good job at giving her what she asked for, and that is one important thing a stylist has to learn! :)

I second the idea that you should look into cosmetology school. I really like the haircuts you did on your blonde friend's hair, especially the first one!

doodlebug66
September 16th, 2011, 05:25 PM
You did a very good job On All the cuts. If you do go to school for hair you will do well. Good Luck

Sylvanas
September 16th, 2011, 08:27 PM
It's easy to see you have a talent for cutting/styling hair :)

I saw the original pictures, and while I'm not a fan of mullets, I think you managed to make it funky, not trashy. I agree with those who said the bangs don't flatter her round face, but as you've later added, that was what you were given to work with. I have a round face too btw, so been there, done that, grew it out :D

The cut in the first picture looks great on her - well done! I like the different looks you've achieved in the other pictures too. If I may offer some constructive criticism, I think you should get a better pair of scissors and/or learn how to trim the blunt ends (especially the shorter lengths) by holding the scissors vertically, fanning the tips of the hair out, making many tiiiiny snips to avoid the chunky "I cut this with the kitchen scissors look" (I'm sorry if that sounds really harsh, but it's the only way I can think of to describe what I mean).

I love the third pic of HL, but with just a little bit of trimming to make the ends look less blunt, it would have been perfect! On the other hand, I cut my own hair so I know from experience that after about a month of growing, it will be less blunt and look much better. If your friends are not worried about a little damage, a razor is actually a great tool to achieve a feathered cut, or a sideswept fringe. You get angled ends rather than the regular blunt ones, and for certain styles that might be preferred. I've been known to cut my hair with plain old Bic razors, and I liked the results - just don't use it on someone who's babying their hair, trying to grow it superlong.

I hope you'll continue to have fun cutting your friends hair. The most important thing is that they're happy with the results, so feel free to ignore my suggestions if you don't agree with them :p

katienoonan
September 19th, 2011, 04:41 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2344/2394460263_184d7fff87.jpg

;) Cheesystring hair

Signe
September 19th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Awesome that the OP came back and the comments seem to have calmed down. Just want to say, regarding some of the comments about the hairstyle being not cute, not flattering, awful, etc and the shock and horror of some members who presumed they should know better, etc:

It's just hair. There's no rule out there that says hair has to be pretty or cute or else. Seriously. By presuming we, as women or young women, need to be pretty and have nice hair at all time we are kind of promoting stereotypical ideals about how women SHOULD look.

Who says girls need nice haircuts? It all boils down to the beauty myth women in our society so faithfully adhere to. Yes, it can make life easier socially, but there is also something to be said for individuality, for someone whose confidence comes from more than just how they look or how well they fit in.

As a forum who so adamantly challenges the old people must not have long hair dogma, I would also hope that we would equally challenge notions about how women "should" look, what hairstyles we must have in order to be deemed socially acceptable, etc.
This is a really important thing to remember. I don't understand why so many adults on this forum would be so hypocritical to spout that we are not here to decorate other people's worlds etc and then crap on about how this girl is going to get teased for her looks. Everyone gets teased in school. If it's not your looks, it will be something else, so you might as well do what you like anyway.

Appear to be so rude and uncalled for? No. They were rude and uncalled for...no matter what pictures the OP originally had. No one should be spoken to like that. I know loads of folk are saying it's just opinions etc, but lots of those so-called opinions were just plain old mean. If those posters were so worried about the girl getting teased at school then they shouldn't tease her online!

Haldir
September 19th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I completely agree with Signe. Words that I saw used to describe what OP posted... "horrible", "disaster", etc. Then there's the person who went and said that what the OP's friend needs is makeup and nice clothes. That just annoys me. There are some people who aren't as peeved as others about having acne and being "chubby" and those who just prefer to look natural and not pile on makeup. Not every "chubby" person is as insecure as you (the person who said that). Also take a look at the girl with the mullet. Does she look like someone who's too young to make up her own mind about allowing a non-professional to cut her hair? She seems relaxed, sitting there with a mullet. There's no way the OP was just cutting her hair and not telling her friend what she was doing as she was cutting it.

People just need to relax and stop getting their panties in a knot over something this trivial. It's JUST hair and it does grow back - clearly the girl in the photo is not as obsessive as we are over it and to her, hair is completely expendable. My sister is the same way. Granted, I personally do not like the style the OP's friend is now wearing, but I don't think it was necessary for people to harp on about how awful they think it was for about 12 pages.

My opinion would still stand if the OP had not edited the first post.

annieangel149
September 19th, 2011, 12:34 PM
oh my gosh! this thread has got so long!! :)

coffinhert
November 11th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I think mullets are badass. Several of my friends have not only mullets but... DRED MULLETS.

holothuroidea
November 11th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Teens already have a hard time at school, this girl already has acne and is a little chubby (I am chubby too, I am not being mean or rude when I point this out) She needs to enhance her looks with flattering makeup, clothing and hair styles.

I don't know if this person apologized in the subsequent 12 pages or whatever but I just have to say that this is probably the most offensive thing I have read on any forum anywhere. Being chubby does not give you immunity from being mean to others who you judge as chubby.

To me, this post reads: "These are all the reasons you are not good enough, this is what you have to do to make it better."

NO!! What she needs to do is NEVER EVER listen to people like you who say that she needs something else to look better, to never ever have the opinion projected on her that she needs artifice to feel complete.

Do not project your insecurities on to people, especially not teenage girls! You might need make up and clothes and hair to feel better but that doesn't mean someone else will.

I think mullets are badass. Several of my friends have not only mullets but... DRED MULLETS.

I actually gasped when I read this. That must be SO EPIC. :D

coffinhert
November 11th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I know, I wanted to post a photo but iPhoto DELETED a bunch of my photos a hwile ago and I didn't realize it until I'd already replaced my backup with the updated iPhoto library... *rant* anyway yes. It's actually quite common among certain social groups on hte west coast of the USA :P

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/443284610_7e2948c967.jpg
random google picture

holothuroidea
November 11th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Awesome!!! :rockerdudit!

GRU
November 13th, 2011, 09:30 AM
There was a kid (approx 10yo) at the hockey rink the other night with a full-on redneck mullet... his hair was probably the equivalent of BSL and just looked nasty (like it was all razor-cut, choppy, etc.). Everyone in the lobby was just :blueeek: :blueeek: :blueeek: :blueeek: at the sight.

jesis
November 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Some people still like to give their kids these types of haircuts.

I wish I had a picture of my brother when he was a kid. My brother, sister, and I all had hair past waist and his was cut into a mullet. He got fed up with it after everyone in the grocery stores kept calling him a girl.

On a different note, my father had a mullet up until about 5 years ago... My jaw dropped when I first saw how different he looked without one!

There was a kid (approx 10yo) at the hockey rink the other night with a full-on redneck mullet... his hair was probably the equivalent of BSL and just looked nasty (like it was all razor-cut, choppy, etc.). Everyone in the lobby was just :blueeek: :blueeek: :blueeek: :blueeek: at the sight.

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 09:53 AM

And just maybe he loves it and his friends may too. A ten year old boy can be pretty resourceful in taking scissors to his own hair if he wants to get rid of a hairstyle he does not like.

A haircut to me does not define a person or their politics. It defines their particular taste at a given time only.

I have seen mullet styles I question as in not for me. If the wearer is pleased with it, who am I to judge?

The same applies to any other hairstyle I have seen here. If I think it rocks I comment. If I think it does not I pass on the opportunity.

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I have pictures of myself with haircuts I regret but loved at the time. I know I am not alone in that.

I have seen and read celebrities bemoaning styles they wore in the 80's and others here lamenting choices they made and what they preferred in the past.

That is just it. There are choices and diversity. And its about hair and it can all be celebrated or not.

The or not to me is better done in silence. ETA: when it concerns someone other than one's self.

coffinhert
November 13th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I've talked to some of my guy friends who had mullets when they were younger and they all say that they loved their mullet when they had it.

LocustSpawning
November 13th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Jeez, I only just found this thread and read all the posts..

Like some other posters have said, I am too extremely surprised at some of these replies. I imagine this: Imagine a mainstream fashion forum or something, where someone posted a photo of me wearing something that isn't considered to look good in mainstream fashion. But I like it. There's tonnes of replies saying I look awful and I 'need' to wear nice mainstream clothes to flatter myself. I would be really shocked at the childish attitude displayed by some adult members, and would be insulted.

And when people say mean things about long hair - People here are always quick to dismiss them as narrow minded and shallow for making negative comments. How is this different? Some people think long hair *does* look awful and doesn't suit people. But whenever that happens.. a thread is made about it and lots of people also agree that said person is a horrible/mean/nasty person etc.. but because this is a short hair cut, it's okay to say really bad things about it??!

I also agree that I don't think it looks very good, but wow. Wasn't expecting to read what I did.

slz
November 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM
There is so much hate and not a benign one, I mean, one can see it as a social thing, that if I were into cutting my hair I would definitely do a mullet. That would be a political mullet.

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 10:26 AM
There is so much hate and not a benign one, I mean, one can see it as a social thing, that if I were into cutting my hair I would definitely do a mullet. That would be a political mullet.

Yes, the intensity of the dislike shocked me. Nothing could have prepared me for what I read here.

The OP was not taken seriously at first either.

I know of no other thread here where that happened. I would not like to think I am wrong about that statistic.

ETA:
Kayla Nyx
Your friends look pleased with the hairstyles you gave them. You are pleased enough with them to post them here and share them. At the end of the day, that is all that matters, not any opinion here. You go girl! Translation in case I am dating myself, lol http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-of/you-go,-girl

Navydoc_76
November 13th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Just read this whole thread-To the OP, you seem to have such a passion for cutting hair, and i hope it stays that way! with some formal training i think you could blossom into being awesome! you have no fear about trying out edgy and hip cuts-so you go girl!

oh and by far i have had the worst haircut-done by me! haha.. in the early 90's it was popular to shave your head from the ears down (with a razor) and ponytail the rest. horrifying, and yet i did it! haha...

Chamy
November 13th, 2011, 11:36 AM
After reading this thread i really start to wonder if this is the same forum that i thought i joined. Not many respectful comments the first few pages...

And to kayla, i just want to say, good for you and your friend that you have the courage to experiment some. And if you want to be a hairstylist, go for it, i think it shows passion that you are already going after your dream.

dulce
November 13th, 2011, 12:05 PM
It's not a style I would wear myself if I was younger, but I see a LOT of teens and younger girls wearing this type of style where I live.It certainly seems to be the "in" style here where I live.I am glad both you and your friends are happy.Definitely take a hair dresser course after highschool,a love and passion for cutting hair is a wonderful thing in a hairdresser.

pepperpot
November 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I just read this whole thread - I cannot believe how mean and disrespectful this forum is!

Back on topic: OP I think its great that you have such an interest in cutting hair, and you are clearly skilled. Your skills are sure to continue to get better and better. I have been a self trimmer since I was a teenager, and I don't think I was as good as you when I was your age (although maybe self trimming is different from cutting someone else's hair, I've never been brave enough to cut someone else's hair).

dulce
November 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM
And I have to say I couldn't agree more with the moderator's comments on considering the impact of your words on people!

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I like the hair of the girl who went from blonde and long to short and very dark, it's super cute.

Yeah me too, but in all honesty the first cut is well a mess and id have been very upset but if she likes it fine. This is not being horrible, its being honest! If you post a thread like this expect both negative and positive opinions of people.:flower:

pepperminttea
November 13th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Yeah me too, but in all honesty the first cut is well a mess and id have been very upset but if she likes it fine. This is not being horrible, its being honest! If you post a thread like this expect both negative and positive opinions of people.:flower:

But there are definitely nicer ways to deliver 'bad news'. ;)

dulce
November 13th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Kayla,don't apologize ,it is NOT your fault re any squabbles,unfortunately forums can bring out the worst in some people and they say stuff they probably wouldn't say in real life.Am sure Face book has the same problem.

holothuroidea
November 13th, 2011, 12:56 PM

1) Honesty and cruelty are not mutually exclusive. It is fairly easy to be both at the same time.

2) There are a myriad of ways to express a negative opinion without hurting someone's feelings.

3) After 20+ negative opinions and no positive ones, is another negative one really necessary?

I don't think what you said was mean, necessarily, I just wanted to make these points.

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM
But there are definitely nicer ways to deliver 'bad news'. ;)

Agreed, it would be a strange old world if we all liked the same thing. :rolleyes:

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 01:10 PM
1) Honesty and cruelty are not mutually exclusive. It is fairly easy to be both at the same time.

2) There are a myriad of ways to express a negative opinion without hurting someone's feelings.

3) After 20+ negative opinions and no positive ones, is another negative one really necessary?

I don't think what you said was mean, necessarily, I just wanted to make these points.

and you are??? sorry but I have every right to express however which way i like. If you read my post properly I said I liked the first cut, I don't like mullets end of what do you want me to do lie???

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 01:43 PM
And I have to say I couldn't agree more with the moderator's comments on considering the impact of your words on people!

This! Absolutely this!

Rowan1980
November 13th, 2011, 01:45 PM
If it's what was requested the person liked the result, then that's ultimately what matters. To each their own.

Also, I am a saddened by some of the intense negativity displayed in some of the posts. Constructive criticism is one thing. Posting something akin to "Oh my God, how horrible! What were you/she thinking?!" is not. It would've been just as hurtful if someone on the street were to give one of us grief for having longer-than-average hair or for having a style that we love, but they abhor.

Just my two cents.

holothuroidea
November 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM
and you are??? sorry but I have every right to express however which way i like. If you read my post properly I said I liked the first cut, I don't like mullets end of what do you want me to do lie???

Firstly, I specified that I don't think what you said was necessarily mean. You qualified it with a positive. Other people might be offended, though. Saying, "I don't like mullets," is quite different from saying, "That hair cut is a mess!" If you don't see the difference I don't think any amount of my explaining it to you will matter at this point.

We all are entitled to express our opinions any way we wish. There are consequences, though. People's feelings getting hurt is one of those consequences. If someone is going to say whatever they want without taking other people's feelings into account they should not be shocked when other people find them mean or insensitive. Some people totally :rockerdud mean and insensitive, those people hold themselves accountable and don't blame other people's "expectations."

We also always have the option of saying nothing. Personally, I'm really bad at doing that. :o

dulce
November 13th, 2011, 01:53 PM
A few years ago ,all the teens here had the long straight look,now it's all shags,and shoulder length very styled layers.Even Apl to BSl is rare now with teens here.It's sad that your friend got teased for her long hair,this is a long hair forum and it's difficult for us to remember sometimes that the rest of the world doesn't always love long hair like we do or think it fashionable. Hopefully long hair comes into fashion again.Again,sorry your friend felt the need to cut her hair but glad she's happy with her new style.It may make her life easier.Nobody likes to be teased and made to feel the oddity especially in your teens.I suspect like where I live, long hair is not "in" where you live.

Kayla Nyx
November 13th, 2011, 01:56 PM
really, there are no hard feelings left over :flower: I've gotten over this, and pushed the sad feeling aside. I'm just waiting for this to go under. Lol :D

dulce
November 13th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Yep,I know that feeling from personal experience!!! I've found it's best just to leave a thread that has become a little heated and ignore any future posts from that thread and find new threads to participate in . If everyone does that, the oringinal thread slowly dies off.Just because you started a thread or posted in one,does not mean you are obligated to stay in it..Best of luck.

holothuroidea
November 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM
really, there are no hard feelings left over :flower: I've gotten over this, and pushed the sad feeling aside. I'm just waiting for this to go under. Lol :D

From what I've read, I think that this thread is just indicative of a problem with the forum in general and people are commenting more on that then your OP at this point.

I'm sure you'll be glad when this thread sinks so this is going to be my last reply. There are more appropriate ways to deal with these issues anyway. :)

FWIW, I think you have handled this situation very admirably and I wish I had the same kind of forbearance and grace you do.

Lici1209
November 13th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I agree with people saying responses have been too harsh. I always thought this was a very friendly community, and it still is relatively, but I'm kinda surprised :-/ I guess I'm knew so what do I know, but now I'm hesitant to post things.

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
From what I've read, I think that this thread is just indicative of a problem with the forum in general and people are commenting more on that then your OP at this point.

I'm sure you'll be glad when this thread sinks so this is going to be my last reply. There are more appropriate ways to deal with these issues anyway. :)

FWIW, I think you have handled this situation very admirably and I wish I had the same kind of forbearance and grace you do.

I don't feel this forum has big problems "in general" of any type but then again, I've seen years worth of posts on here. Most of them aren't argumentative.

As far as words being harsh, hurting the OP, etc., she has said several times now that she really isn't hurt. :blossom: She has also indicated that she knew before posting that she was likely to get negative responses.

I've been on many internet forums, and I've seen nasty. On this thread, however, with very few exceptions, I haven't seen nasty. People obviously feel very strongly about mullets. That's a given. The OP herself knew that before she posted. Many also exclaimed over the OP's talent. They weren't dissing her in general. They were dissing that one cut that they didn't like...that the OP already knew they wouldn't like.

The answers weren't awful. People weren't saying, "You have no talent, that haircut is awful, put the scissors away, loser!" :p In fact, many of the posters who criticized the mullet, had good things to say about the next series of cuts the OP posted.

There absolutely is such a thing as going too far with "honesty" and really just using that as an excuse to be mean. On LHC, I rarely, rarely see such a thing. Just my input having been on here for some time. I don't see this type of thing as a big problem in general for this forum. And I think the OP feels okay about everything and has no hurt feelings. :cheese:

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Not exactly. She was asked if she did a cut because she had something against the person and whether she had permission for posting the pictures and whether she was serious in posting the pictures.

She has said twice she did have hurt feelings but that now she has put them behind her.

As I see it she should not have had to have hurt feelings at all.

I just went and looked at all of her posts. If I am mistaken and missed something I apologize. That is what I read.

ETA: I have been here since February 2005. It is not usual to put such questions to an OP. Of late there have been more contentious threads than I recall.

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Of late there have been more contentious threads than I recall.

I agree. For some reason, they seem amped up at the moment. I don't feel this has been typical walkaday stuff for LHC. It comes and goes in waves, sometimes in response to certain people, sometimes in response to certain topics.

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I agree. For some reason, they seem amped up at the moment. I don't feel this has been typical walkaday stuff for LHC. It comes and goes in waves, sometimes in response to certain people, sometimes in response to certain topics.

It did not used to be this way, not over and over and over on different topics and lately people get bashed and rebashed over and over and over. I see no reason whatsoever to do any of that. None at all.

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM
It did not used to be this way, not over and over and over on different topics and lately people get bashed and rebashed over and over and over. I see no reason whatsoever to do any of that. None at all.

I don't know. You may be right. I always remember there being time periods where people were freaking out all over each other. Again, they are rare. From what I've seen. When they're going on the do make a huge impact, largely because they are so out of place...IMO.

However, when people are actively bashed, I'm mystified as to why a mod isn't contacted. Rather than all of us getting angry at one another, why doesn't a mod get alerted? Yes, we're all grownups here (more or less) but some subjects really are trigger-pushing. Why not speak to the person specifically, and/or speak to a mod?

Not telling you what to do, ktani, just asking in general. You've been here forever and you undoubtedly know that you can contact a mod. I guess I feel that if people really, truly think someone is being bashed, a mod should be contacted. Perhaps I'm old-school, but in my experience, that really is the best way to nip something in the bud if it's a personal/emotional subject and/or a triggering one. Or maybe even regardless of that. (shrug)

We may be seeing different things, ;) which is totally possible...but I have seen LHC as hugely cooperative in general, with only spurts of this kind of thing. When I feel someone is actually bashing, or flaming, I tell a mod. It doesn't happen often. I think I may report a post once or twice a year or less on here. To me, that's a great track record. :) I don't like bashing but I *do* feel and observe that LCH allows a great good ton less of bashing and the like than pretty much any other forum I've ever been on, and I appreciate that.

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I don't know. You may be right. I always remember there being time periods where people were freaking out all over each other. Again, they are rare. From what I've seen.

However, when people are actively bashed, I'm mystified as to why a mod isn't contacted. Rather than all of us getting angry at one another, why doesn't a mod get alerted? Yes, we're all grownups here (more or less) but some subjects really are trigger-pushing. Why not speak to the person specifically, and/or speak to a mod?

Not telling you what to do, ktani, just asking in general. You've been here forever and you undoubtedly know that you can contact a mod. I guess I feel that if people really, truly think someone is being bashed, a mod should be contacted. Perhaps I'm old-school, but in my experience, that really is the best way to nip something in the bud if it's a personal/emotional subject and/or a triggering one. Or maybe even regardless of that. (shrug)

We may be seeing different things, ;) which is totally possible...but I have seen LHC as hugely cooperative in general, with only spurts of this kind of thing. When I feel someone is actually bashing, or flaming, I tell a mod. It doesn't happen often. I think I may report a post once or twice a year or less on here. To me, that's a great track record. :) I don't like bashing but I *do* feel and observe that LCH allows a great good ton less of bashing and the like than pretty much any other forum I've ever been on, and I appreciate that.

If I did not feel that LHC was worthwhile and not reflective of that kind of behaviour, I would not still be here.

As to reporting, I will not comment.

I was very late to this thread party and a mod had already intervened. It has been so in other threads too.

However, the lesson from whatever happened to the individuals who may have been dealt with, has not been learned by others.

No, I am not advocating open "punishment" transparancy. It just seems to me that there are some people who seem to think that this kind of behaviour is just fine.

I am on record now as saying that to me, rules aside, which are there, and I will not name them, no it is most definitely not ok.

Avital88
November 13th, 2011, 04:14 PM
now im hungry for cheese after reading this thread..

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 04:16 PM
No, I am not advocating open "punishment" transparancy. It just seems to me that there are some people who seem to think that this kind of behaviour is just fine.

I am on record now as saying that to me, rules aside, which are there, and I will not name them, no it is most definitely not ok.

I agree with you and I don't condone being cruel. There definitely are ways to do things that may not have an "official" rule but would be very nice if people did follow. I try to think of KNIT now...it's brilliant.

Agree with the sentiment.

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 04:16 PM

I'm always hungry for cheese! :cheese: Another consensus, yay! :p I knew we'd fall back into harmony again. :D

jacqueline101
November 13th, 2011, 04:18 PM
The one with the short bangs that you tried to cut. That's a mullet. I'm hoping that's the hairdo she wanted even though its not cute.

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'm always hungry for cheese! :cheese: Another consensus, yay! :p I knew we'd fall back into harmony again. :D

Agreed wholeheartedly!

gretchen_hair
November 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Wow, I thought this thread had died, but no, it had to be dredged up again.

To be fair to all the people who posted negative comments, the only one of the photos that are on the first post that was there originally was the second *mullet* pic and some others that were not quite as flattering as the one that is up there now. (meaning there were some other angles of the mullet and it didn't look quite as streamlined)

When you make posts, expect to get all sorts of comments, good and bad. Many people apologized and made peace and the thread had died down. I can't believe someone revived it and that others are continuing on and on about how horrible the negative posters were.

We love hair and we're passionate about it, when we see what we think is a horrible cut, sometimes we comment in a way that comes across as harsh. It's human nature to make a strong statement when we see something that shocks us. Forgive me for being human and for being shocked at the original pictures. :shrug:

ETA: Also, the original wording of the post was different, it said something to the effect of.....*I cut my friends hair in a mullet* tee hee. And that was all, there were only pictures of the friend with the mullet and no further explanation until later on.

McFearless
November 13th, 2011, 04:54 PM
This thread is basically a message to those with pixie cuts growing long. You'll hit that mullet stage, but don't photgraph it because many members will think your hair is ugly. Even if you're happy with how you look, thats not good enough.

I did laugh at many of the comments because there was so much entitlement. "That cut is wrong for her face. Her body." Why must everyone go against their face shape and mold their hair in a way that will alter what shape it appears to be? Whats wrong with a round face and why can't more attention be brought to it?

Then there are the funny comments about bullying. Instead of attacking the bullying, people gave advice to the girl, saying she shouldn't make herself a target to bullies. Funny. We can't be ourselves in fear of bullies. WE are the ones who have to change. Give me a break. There are plenty of people who insult long hairs because its not conventional. Do we tell eachother to have shorter cuts to be less of a target?

McFearless
November 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM
And this thread is old! Arghhh.
-__-

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Know what I think? I think whomever dredged this thread back up again got what s/he wanted: loads of attention, and us at one another's throat.

I've seen it before and I'm seeing it now. Sigh.

I hate seeing LHC like this. This is the forum I come to because I don't have to worry about people going at one another. Very sad to see all this.

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Know what I think? I think whomever dredged this thread back up again got what s/he wanted: loads of attention, and us at one another's throat.

I've seen it before and I'm seeing it now. Sigh.

I hate seeing LHC like this. This is the forum I come to because I don't have to worry about people going at one another. Very sad to see all this.

Sorry but I disagree.

The person who clued a number of others to this thread was outraged. They did not do what they did for any other reason and not to only show that this kind of thing happens.

It happens and has happened.

People who have since posted here for the most part only want two things, for the OP to be OK and she is now and for this to not happen again.

Not one person has been singled out by name and trashed for their negative posts. People have just responded to posts and not everyone has responded to certain posts.

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Sorry but I disagree.

The person who clued a number of others to this thread was outraged. They did not do what they did for any other reason and not to only show that this kind of thing happens..

You can disagree. :) You could be right; I'm not psychic. As to dredging this up to make sure it doesn't happen again...this time I disagree with you. :) When I don't want something horrible to repeat, I don't usually highlight it in technicolor, complete with "shame, shame!" finger wagging at people who have already been around this mill and whose opinions have already been addressed, with the exceptionally strong possibility that it will degenerate once again into a board divided and p * ssed, all around -- and little, if any, real, positive progress.

But again. You could be right.

One thing is for sure: the re-digging up of this thread caused horrible feelings, once again, and for normally longtime at least online friends to jump at one another and polarize.

I am sad. I hope you at least can't disagree with that statement, Ktani.

And by the way, don't say you're sorry for disagreeing. I disagree with you but I don't feel sorry. I feel logical. You feel logical too. What is to feel sorry about?

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 05:26 PM
You can disagree. :) You could be right; I'm not psychic. As to dredging this up to make sure it doesn't happen again...this time I disagree with you. :) When I don't want something horrible to repeat, I don't usually highlight it in technicolor, complete with "shame, shame!" finger wagging at people who have already been around this mill and whose opinions have already been addressed, with the exceptionally strong possibility that it will degenerate once again into a board divided and p * ssed, all around -- and little, if any, real, positive progress.

But again. You could be right.

One thing is for sure: the re-digging up of this thread caused horrible feelings, once again, and for normally longtime at least online friends to jump at one another and polarize.

I am sad. I hope you at least can't disagree with that statement, Ktani.

And by the way, don't say you're sorry for disagreeing. I disagree with you but I don't feel sorry. I feel logical. You feel logical too. What is to feel sorry about?

We can always agree to disagree.

I see no problem with others posting in this thread now.

They have as much right to post about anything here as the people who originally posted.

A number of people including me missed this thread the first time around.

It was brought up again in a different thread.

I do not feel that either you or I needs to apologize to the other.

ETA: Ah I did not get the apology reference right away. I did say that. My error.

gretchen_hair
November 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Actually, in a way *I* was called out. Now....it really doesn't bother me for someone to say that I must need make up, clothes etc to feel better and that I am projecting myself etc....

In my original post to the original pictures, I was just giving examples. When I was 10 years old I was very very chubby, my mother bought me jeans in Sears in the boys husky section. I was sent to a hair salon the day before school pictures and was given a boy type hair cut, awful....just awful. I cried and cried and hate those school pics to this day.

I had been given awful, unflattering haircuts until I became old enough to vocalize, it was a horrid thing to be at school with a bad cut that took weeks or months to grow out.

I was not saying anything in my original post to be mean or hateful in any way. I was just surprised at the cut and that the OP simply said, *look, I cut my friends hair in a mullet, tee hee* and it did not look good on her. (not saying that she shouldn't have the cut just because *I* don't think it looked good) but I was horrified at the thought of that cut.

Like I said, I have bad memories of bad cuts and taunting and teasing in school. Bad clothes, bad haircuts, fat body, being poor, etc etc etc. It was traumatizing.

And no, now I wear what I want and don't wear makeup etc, but I did as a kid, to make myself look better and/or enhance my looks. Now, I don't care what people think and tell them, back then, I was ashamed and cried.

I guess it brought back bad memories for me and it didn't occur to me that this was the cut the young gal asked for (until later in when Kayla explained it in detail) But, like I said...I am human and I posted out of my own emotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchen_hair http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1780289#post1780289)
Teens already have a hard time at school, this girl already has acne and is a little chubby (I am chubby too, I am not being mean or rude when I point this out) She needs to enhance her looks with flattering makeup, clothing and hair styles.

I don't know if this person apologized in the subsequent 12 pages or whatever but I just have to say that this is probably the most offensive thing I have read on any forum anywhere. Being chubby does not give you immunity from being mean to others who you judge as chubby.

To me, this post reads: "These are all the reasons you are not good enough, this is what you have to do to make it better."

NO!! What she needs to do is NEVER EVER listen to people like you who say that she needs something else to look better, to never ever have the opinion projected on her that she needs artifice to feel complete.

Do not project your insecurities on to people, especially not teenage girls! You might need make up and clothes and hair to feel better but that doesn't mean someone else will.

I actually gasped when I read this. That must be SO EPIC. :D

Sorry but I disagree.

The person who clued a number of others to this thread was outraged. They did not do what they did for any other reason and not to only show that this kind of thing happens.

It happens and has happened.

People who have since posted here for the most part only want two things, for the OP to be OK and she is now and for this to not happen again.

Not one person has been singled out by name and trashed for their negative posts. People have just responded to posts and not everyone has responded to certain posts.

McFearless
November 13th, 2011, 05:39 PM
coffinheart bumped this thread on Nov 11 to say mullets are badass, especially dreaded ones. :p No ill intent there, but GlennaGirl I have seen what you're talking about happen before.

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 05:44 PM
coffinheart bumped this thread on Nov 11 to say mullets are badass, especially dreaded ones. :p No ill intent there, but GlennaGirl I have seen what you're talking about happen before.

Yup...and that was a positive, happy statement. :)

Followed immediately by a "tsk-tsk" one or two that may not have had that intent, but yup. It's predictable as...I can't even think of a good analogy right now because I'm so disheartened to see how quickly and thoroughly something like this can happen. This could be against TOS; I don't know. I didn't really want to point to one person specifically, to be honest.

As for the MO: IMO, same old s * it and not even a different thread for the sake of creativity. Then this overlapping of "see this or that thread" stuff...I didn't even know that was allowed.

I'm seeing so many arguments on this and two other threads right now that I don't even have a clue where to pick any of them up by...it's just arguing now for the sake of keeping that angry feeling going...in my opinion. Repeat: in my opinion. But my opinion is just as relevant as anyone else's, so I gave it.

Yes, people were called out, one way or another. And yes, it's been happening frequently and suddenly. And no, I'm not going to read yet *another* thread I've been redirected to either here or via PM, or directed from this thread to another one (Holy crap...Soap Dish, only not funny) to "see what" so-and-so is talking about. This is insanity, I have rarely, if ever seen LHC so polarized. I have my idea on why it is and I have let mods know that idea. I am disappointed and upset and when one is upset, one can't typically contribute very well to a thread so I really have to be outies on this one. At this point people aren't even making sense any more. It's nutty, almost like a group hysteria type thing only obviously way less dramatic. :p But yeah. Enough from me, I've said my piece, I don't want to look at any other threads to "prove" anything and I don't want to continue reading this one.

What I want, and what I will do is to come back in two weeks when all of this has predictably blown over, friends are friends again and troublemakers have mysteriously disappeared b/c the fun ran out.

McFearless
November 13th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry you're so effected by the fighting. :( I hope you dont feel like you have to stay off this site because of it. I guess you just gotta ignore this thread and I'll try to not feed into the drama myself. I must admit sometimes I stir the pot and its easy to become emotionally invested.

Kayla Nyx
November 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM

this made me giggle! :p

longhairedlady
November 14th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I know, I wanted to post a photo but iPhoto DELETED a bunch of my photos a hwile ago and I didn't realize it until I'd already replaced my backup with the updated iPhoto library... *rant* anyway yes. It's actually quite common among certain social groups on hte west coast of the USA :P

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/443284610_7e2948c967.jpg
random google picture

Coolest mullet evah!!!!!!!!:cool:

justgreen
November 14th, 2011, 09:42 AM
What makes me giggle....the biggest percentage of all the folks that claim "oh the horrors on this thread, I've never seen such a forum like this, you guys are sooooo rude" <paraphrasing a bit, are mostly new to the circus. Meaning folks that have joined in the year 2011. You youngsters have NO idea how bad it can get here, LOL! Especially as it gets closer to spring-time. Spring fever is enough to make me specifically NOT log in here for a few weeks. This thread is MINOR in comparison to some of the past free for alls. And yes, it was especially worse for this thread because the OP totally changed the original thread, so some of the first posters to reach the scene, their posts made little sense to anyone else and were considered horrendous.

AND you can bet there were a lot of fingers pushing on that little 'r' button, but sometimes things move slow on here. The hamsters don't get paid and have real lives, so sometimes we hafta rein ourselves in, just takes time.

Personally, I would want someone to tell me their honest opinion. If my hair looks like crap, I don't want folks saying 'ooooohhh it's so purty". I take UltraBella's opinions pretty seriously and without seeing the original pictures on this thread, I believed her that they were some pretty bad hair pics. Now we only see a semi good pic of the same cut.....I believe UB. LOL Some of the newer members do not realize how candid UB can be, but she's also very fair and not a cruel person.

*crawls back under a desk*

dragaica
November 14th, 2011, 09:57 AM
My brother was 5 years old, blond long hair- advertising child. I was 11, brunette, older, wiser. One day I took him behind a big armchair, behind our grandma, and play with his hair, cut it. I meant no harm. He was trilled. :cheese:My mother horrified. Hairdresser made it better, shorter. He never had long hair. :confused:
20 years went by-My family still remember the negative incident, and my brother just the play, in a good sense. I will never cut a friend hair- I don't wanna be responsible for that- but I share a good and remarkable childhood memory with my brother.:D
Also my mother use to give me bangs... I hated her for that- but the worse things happened to me at hairdressers.... :poot:
conclusion: the hair is a holly thing- I'm not a child any more to play with some one hair, once I know it's power.

pepperpot
November 15th, 2011, 03:33 AM
What makes me giggle....the biggest percentage of all the folks that claim "oh the horrors on this thread, I've never seen such a forum like this, you guys are sooooo rude" <paraphrasing a bit, are mostly new to the circus. Meaning folks that have joined in the year 2011. You youngsters have NO idea how bad it can get here, LOL! Especially as it gets closer to spring-time. Spring fever is enough to make me specifically NOT log in here for a few weeks. This thread is MINOR in comparison to some of the past free for alls. .

Oh dear, you mean it gets even worse? I was one of the people who commented that I couldn't believe how unkind the people were here, and now you're telling me that's nothing in comparison with how it can get? I've definitely been on kinder forums. Bye bye!

longhairedlady
November 15th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Oh dear, you mean it gets even worse? I was one of the people who commented that I couldn't believe how unkind the people were here, and now you're telling me that's nothing in comparison with how it can get? I've definitely been on kinder forums. Bye bye!

Well I dont see any reason for you to leave?? It can actually be quite entertaining. :drama:

ktani
November 15th, 2011, 04:39 AM

What was said was an overstatment and not a true reflection of the way things are here most of the time.

The outrage is because of just that. It happens. It is not what this forum is about to me and many others and it is not supported by most people here.

To me there are no excuses for it, not the full moon, not pms, not stress in one's life and not spring fever.

I do not support cruelty. I do not know of anyone who would say that they do. However, a "slip of the keys" without consideration and there you have it.

ETA: To me it is not in any way, shape or form, entertainment. I added quotation marks to "slip of the keys" because I did not mean to make light of inconsideration.

justgreen
November 15th, 2011, 08:42 AM

Sorry, but yes it's been pretty laid back here, unless you want to purposely visit a religious, political or 'we are the 99%' thread. But spring fever plays no favorites. It sometimes seems to be spread board wide, like a virus. LOL. And not to be mean here, but were some of the unkind folks you've seen newer members? Us gurus know better than to purposely hurt someone on here unless we KNOW it's a troll and then all bets are off. Some of the newer members don't have that K.N.I.T. filter installed yet, so I apologise. And please , newer members don't get your knickers knotted, I have seen what she's talking about, but I don't remember names, so I'm not calling them.

YOu might have been on knder forums, but not one this big specifically about the care and growth of long hair where you have to WAIT to be accepted into it, with the mods checking each individual applicant. The mods do a great job keeping trolls and p*rverts outta here.

*crawls off the stage*

dulce
November 15th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Well said Katani,After my bad experience on a previous thread I also temporarily seriously debated about leaving the forum permanently also,but after thinking about it,also realized most people here are good and this forum provides much helpful infomation. Pepperpot, I hope you will reconsider and stay here.The very occasional thread can turn nasty sometimes but just leave that thread,ignore it,and go to another more positive thread,of which there are many many many here.

Manzanilla
November 15th, 2011, 09:01 AM

There is more to this life than being cute or attractive, if she is happy, what is the problem? :confused:

gretchen_hair
November 15th, 2011, 09:06 AM
You might want to read the *rest of thread*, we have already hashed this all out a longgggggg time back.

Please read all updates and incidents regarding *discrepancies* as well, along with my consecutive posts.

This thread is a never ending nightmare of miscommunication and confusion.

There is more to this life than being cute or attractive, if she is happy, what is the problem? :confused:

dulce
November 15th, 2011, 09:06 AM
"Unless we know it's a troll and then all bets are off",shouldn't that be reported to a moderator rather than everyone going after that suspected troll on a thread?They can check it out properly.Just my opinion.

Manzanilla
November 15th, 2011, 09:08 AM
You might want to read the *rest of thread*, we have already hashed this all out a longgggggg time back.

Sorry! :(
I will read it now! :)

gretchen_hair
November 15th, 2011, 09:10 AM
For some reason *I* am the one that comes off looking like a meanie, I do have to snicker a bit, but am sighing every time I see my name in quotes! :p

Sorry! :(
I will read it now! :)

ktani
November 15th, 2011, 09:12 AM
"Unless we know it's a troll and then all bets are off",shouldn't that be reported to a moderator rather than everyone going after that suspected troll on a thread?They can check it out properly.Just my opinion.

I do not support an "all bets are off" approach period for any reason. As to your question, it is better to ask the mods about it.

justgreen
November 15th, 2011, 09:47 AM

Oh yes, definitely. :agree: :p

dulce
November 15th, 2011, 10:42 AM
In a previous thread here that I was on ,someone mentioned that I had brought up the same concern that I had on another forum and the word troll and trouble maker as well as other not too nice adjectives were used,and I believe it was directed to me. I did not address it much at the time,only to state that was not true as the thread was getting too nasty.I belong to this forum,and the long hair loom forum[have an interest in long hair] and also Going gray,looking great forum and gray and proud,and going gorgeously gray[have an interest in gray hair and older women's concerns as I am older and gray haired]I have a lot of really good friends on the other gray forums,we are all retired, all on these grayhair forums together and also friends on facebook.My posts are positive there,check them out..Does that make me a troll because I belong to several different interest forums and once brought up a ongoing concern of mine on them too[re how some in our society view gray long hair on us oldsters] ?I only joined here last march[still a newbie]I almost quit this forum because of my bad experience on that previous thread here...My point is,it is too easy to judge people and label them without knowing all the facts . This is what causes inflamed threads and hurt feelings.To clarify,just trying to point out how hurtful and wrong assumptions can be, based on my own personal experience on a previous thread here.We all need to be careful how we word things and their effects on another human being.We can disagree but there's always a nice way of doing it.End of my frustrated rant!

ktani
November 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM
We all need to be careful how we word things and their effects on another human being.We can disagree but there's always a nice way of doing it.End of my frustrated rant!

I am sorry that for whatever reason you felt that way. Even when people think what they write is nice it can be perceived incorrectly. That is different to me to intentional nastiness as I have said.

However, at the end of the day, not that it changes how you felt at the time or now, I have an expression I really like. "Consider the source". If you have been misjudged and hurt by people you do not know, and even those you do, without benefit of the doubt or the opportunity to explain yourself through reasoned discussion, then why should the opinions of those kinds of people matter one bit? I avoid such people in real life. I have no respect for that kind of behaviour.

dulce
November 15th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Ktani,I agree with you,that's why I decided to stay, to concentrate on the good here and try and ignore the rest. I only mention my above post because as a newbie I come to this forum unbiased and having just been the recepient of much worse behaviour and name calling on a previous thread, than ever exhibited in this thread,I felt that I was qualified to point out that there is a problem on this forum sometimes and that it could be preventable if we all treated each other kindly even if we disagree.