PDA

View Full Version : Does your hair feel long?

hairspastic
September 14th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I have been thinking about the fact that for different people different lengths qualify as long to them.

A good example of this would be an experience, I had a hair salon for a wedding.
I do my hair myself usually, but for this I didn't have a choice. So I wasn't familiar with much of the process. The stylist did a really nice job on my hair style. However, when I went to check out, I was informed there would be an extra $10 long hair charge. This was a shock to me because at the time, it really didn't occur to me that someone else would view my hair (lower ribcage level) as long hair.

My focus in this thread is more a personal feeling.. As my hair has grown and gotten longer, it really suprised my to find out that I still don't feel like my hair is very long. I keep looking in the mirror and waiting for me to feel like I have long hair. But I don't really see it!

I know some people might think that is because on LHC, longer hair is a lot more common. So it may not feel as long as compared to others even long hair. I think there is some truth to that. But I also think that for some people, it's just how it looks and feels on you.

I'm a pretty tall woman, and a little over my ideal weight, so perhaps this idea that my hair is not that long comes for the way it looks in relation to the rest of me.

I'm currently at 38 inches. So I thought I would be psyched to nearly reach typical classic. But I think maybe on me classic is 45 inches? it certainly doesn't look as long as I though it would. For me I think it may be 45 inches or 50 before I finally feel like I'm a long hair.

I hope no one thinks I'm being ungrateful that I made it to 38 inches though! I know a lot of lovely ladies on here would love to have that. :)

Anyway, how long is your hair? And do you feel like it's long at this length?
This is a different question than your goal. This may or may not coincide though.

My goal is likely terminal. But I really think I won't feel like a long hair until I reach 45 inches. So that is the minimum length I am hoping for! :cool:

hairspastic
September 14th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know, in case my post doesn't completely make sense above...part of it got cut off! So it may not flow together. I apologize! I don't know how to edit here. I'm also kind of a shy person....So there's that too. :o

MeganE
September 14th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Well, to answer your question, no. My hair is longer than it has been in at least ten years, and I've been trying to get to this length (and doing it wrong) almost the entire time. Sometimes, especially from the back, I see that it actually is longer than I think it is, but most of the time it still feels way too short!! I need at least ten or twenty more inches. Or more....

Amarante
September 14th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I can relate. My hair is currently about 26" and to me it is still not long. It's just below BSL on me. I tend to think of hair as not being truly long until it has reached past waist. :/ My goal for now is tailbone, and then terminal once I've conquered TLB. :)

SilverMcFly17
September 14th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I honestly have long days and not long days. They tend to coincide with good hair days and bad. I have the longest hair of anyone I know currently but it still feels short to me. Probably because this is the length it gets to and then seems to stop. I'm only at 23 1/4 inches. :(

hairspastic
September 14th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm glad to hear that other people understand how I'm feeling and relate to it.

Amarante, I've always felt that hair wasn't really long hair until waist length. I think of waist as belly button level. As long as I remember, I've thought that hair from shoulder blades down to that waist level was medium length.

It's kind of amazing to me how some hair stylists have a totally different idea of what long is then some. A few years ago, I had hair "trimming" disaster. I went to a stylist and asked for a basic blunt trim. I originally asked for the absolute minimum and then clarified no more then two inches. She ended up taking off 6-8 inches. While I was upset, I don't blame her for it. During the cut, she said she saw more damage and asked me if she could cut it. I agreed as long as it was close to our original discussion as possible and still really long! It was pretty foolish of me. I learned from this and the wedding experience. That stylists really view long as completely different than I do, and they don't treasure the inches the same! It was tough. But objectively, it was a beautiful cut and style and unlike some of the other stylists that I've read or seen, she really did mean well.

I kind of got a little bit OT on my own thread though. I digress!

Madora
September 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM
My hair at 42 inches seems long to me. I'm 5 ft 3 inches. I'd really love to reach 47 inches and with luck, that will happen in a year or so.

Personally speaking, having long hair is only part of the lure for me. It is what you can DO with that long hair that appeals so much to my creative juices.

hairspastic
September 14th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Ohhh, I realized I forgot to mention my point above. LOL.

My point was after that cut, the stylist turned me around and she said smiled and was like "Here you go, hun!" And look how long it is! Still! At that point my hair was shoulder blade length and to me that was short hair that was just turning into medium length. Anyway, I'm not trying to vilify her! She really was a sweet person. My point was...wow... were our ideas ever different about what long length hair actually is! :)

Megan, Amarante, & SilverFly- Glad to see I'm not in this alone! I'm sorry guys that your not to your goal yet. I feel kinda of bad complaining a little about it being 38 inches. :(
Good luck in getting to your goals! Hopefully when I get to 45; I will finally feel like a long hair at last too. :)

C.H.
September 14th, 2011, 10:50 PM
My hair's probably 36-37 inches right now--I haven't measure it in a couple of months. It does feel long to me. Not when it's up, as my buns aren't huge or anything. But when it's down it sure does. It's the experience of it being down, having it pretty much dominate my torso, and getting overwhelmingly wild and everywhere, and feeling stressed about all the extra effort required to keep it from snagging and such that makes me feel like yeah, this is some long hair. And detangling it--how long it actually take to start from the bottom and work my way up, and the way I have to reposition my body to brush it and/or braid it.

Amarante
September 14th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Hairspastic: I definitely don't want to sound like I'm complaining either, I'm very grateful that my hair is where it is now. :) I just have to agree with you: hair between shoulder blades & waist I would consider 'medium" too. I always hear (non-LHC) peoples saying that hair is extremely long at such lengths, but my 'length-meter' has always been quite different lol.

Quixii
September 14th, 2011, 10:52 PM
My hair started feeling long to me when it got a couple inches past tailbone. Now it's classic dry, mid-thigh wet, and it definitely feels long to me. I can recognize that it's not really very long compared to some people around here with knee+ length, but it's just got that long "feeling" now. :)

racrane
September 14th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Well, I know when my hair was at waist it didn't feel long even though everyone thought so. Now at APL it definitely doesn't feel long, though it's nice to feel my hair moving over my upper back for the first time in a while. :)

Amarante
September 14th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Quixii: you have THE most beautiful hair!

And I have to admit, I am starting to recently notice the weight of my hair more. Especially when it is wet.

hairspastic
September 14th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Madora, I agree with you too. I would love to have a few extra inches to do more styles with too. That is part of the appeal for me in encouraging my hair to grow to longer lengths too. Right now, I can't do large 'roll' styles with my hair without putting something underneath my hair to puff it up because of lack of inches. I feel if I just has a few more inches I really could get some of the hair styles over the top!

That's cool that you feel long at your length! I'm 5'7, and I do wonder if that is part of it.

Also I needed to add, I forgot to properly edit the hairstylists quotations marks above. I hope it's still clear enough. (I left out the quotes for " And look how long it is! Still!") I think I'm hopeless tonight! I did check it before I posted. I'm super tired as well. :) So I'm signing out for the night. Thanks for the nice discussion and input ladies so far. Maybe there will be more.
Good night!

pixiedust
September 14th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I don't feel like my hair is long, because it's not. Haha.

But I got to APL once, and it was the same to me as shoulderlength - meaning, long for me, short compared to the rest of the world.

Im pretty sure when I get to BSL it will feel longish (:

wooliswonderful
September 14th, 2011, 11:21 PM
My hair does not feel long, I'm at 29". The last time I grew it out it felt long at classic. :)

Amarante
September 14th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I can't wait to be able to braid it and it be at classic length. My hair always appears shorter when in a braid. :/

heartgoesboom
September 14th, 2011, 11:35 PM
during elementary/middle school, my hair was down to tailbone. in high school, my hair was between waist and hip. i wanted to grow my hair again to have long hair like before... but now i looked back and saw my hair was mostly trimmed back to waist during hs and i thought it was SO long. but now i'm at waist again, it feels short.

Amarante
September 14th, 2011, 11:42 PM
during elementary/middle school, my hair was down to tailbone. in high school, my hair was between waist and hip. i wanted to grow my hair again to have long hair like before... but now i looked back and saw my hair was mostly trimmed back to waist during hs and i thought it was SO long. but now i'm at waist again, it feels short.

How did you wear it during elementary/middle school? Did you keep it braided or in updos?

Rusticular
September 14th, 2011, 11:58 PM
As someone without a goal length, I've been constantly growing and growing since I was a lot younger, without any intention to really stop(unfortunately, it's been chopped off a few times), so I've never felt like I have long hair. Bring it up with anyone not on LHC, and generally they'll roll their eyes when I complain about having 'short' hair. Looking at pictures of my old hip length, I remember it definitely didn't feel as long as it was, haha.

I've come to the realization that there's no such thing as 'long enough'.

battles
September 15th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I must be the weird one on here. I'm only at shoulder length and this feels long to me.

I usually have it around chin length, grow it out to shoulder and then chop back to chin or even to a pixie and then rinse and repeat. ;)

It feels like I have so much hair right now. :bigeyes: I love it.

Lianna
September 15th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I must be the weird one on here. I'm only at shoulder length and this feels long to me.

No, no. I sorta relate. I will definally feel like my hair is long when it's a little past APL, even though I "know" it isn't, and most people in my city have waist + hair. Maybe the thickness helps with this feeling too.

Ishje
September 15th, 2011, 12:40 AM
now that my hair is proper tailbone I finally get the idea that it is long.
before I never had that.

when I had hip length I could even look at people with taille length and think "oh, hope my hair will be that long one day" XD

Amarante
September 15th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I think it may be owing to thickness as well. I am growing out layers so my ends feel very thin to me. I think when it is all one length it will help it to feel longer.

luxepiggy
September 15th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I've always felt anything past waist was long (^(oo)^)v

SilverMcFly17
September 15th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Don't feel bad for complaining!!! I completely understand. I don't really have a goal, that way it doesn't drive me crazy waiting to reach it. I'm just growing to grow to see how long it will be if I just leave it alone. Heat and trims are detrimental to my goal of length. I've learned that much over the years. Oh and hair dressers are evil. :D

heartgoesboom
September 15th, 2011, 12:53 AM
How did you wear it during elementary/middle school? Did you keep it braided or in updos?

it's tailbone when you can almost sit on it, right? anyway, my hair was actually loose most of the times. i can't remember it being up a lot. it was benign neglect all the way.

check it out, lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/pineye/awhowcutelonghair3.jpg

Amarante
September 15th, 2011, 01:01 AM
it's tailbone when you can almost sit on it, right? anyway, my hair was actually loose most of the times. i can't remember it being up a lot. it was benign neglect all the way.

check it out, lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/pineye/awhowcutelonghair3.jpg

Wow! It's very pretty. :) It is so amazing to me how that works so well... Here I spend all this time and care handling my hair as though it were delicate and easily damaged, and yet maybe if I would just leave it alone it would be healthier... :confused:

IanB
September 15th, 2011, 01:48 AM
No! Only other people seem to say "it's getting a bit long" - but I ignore them! :cheese:

Hile
September 15th, 2011, 02:08 AM

I usually have it around chin length, grow it out to shoulder and then chop back to chin or even to a pixie and then rinse and repeat. ;)

It feels like I have so much hair right now. :bigeyes: I love it.

You're not alone:D My hair starts to feel long at shoulder lenght too. (And I, too, have had my hair betveen chin and shoulder for most my life). It's bsl now and it feels like I have extremely long hair;) However I only consider waist+ to be long on other people...

Shelly
September 15th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I don't feel like my hair is long at all. Yes, I know others thing it's long but I don't see it the same way. Right now, I don't know what length my hair will have to be for me to feel it is long. Only time and length will tell on that one. :(

skyblue
September 15th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I'm at 39 inches yay! my mini goal is 40! then off to classic!!
But yep I feel the same! I keep waiting for that "Wow my hair is long!" Feeling lol!!
Maybe by the time it reaches classic and I can sit on it....then hopefully I'll feel it's long??

Lippytoes
September 15th, 2011, 03:23 AM
At about an inch past waist, my hair's finally starting to feel long to me. :) Not very long, but I can once more consider myself longhaired even by my own standards (I used to have around TBL hair as a teenager). Yay!

I remember the first time I got my TBL hair cut proper shorter (my own decision) - I thought it was really short, when it was about APL or a bit longer. My friends, however, were all "aaahh, but your hair is still long!" I was just, "no, it's mid-length or something. SHORT." Differences in perception: awesome.

jasper
September 15th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I always felt like my hair was long when a moderately high pony tail would tickle my neck. Anything past shoulder length is long to me.

LHC warps my perception because of all the amazing length shots. When I first joined here my long hair, longer than it had ever been, was suddenly not that long in my eyes. I don't mean it didn't feel long, but I had a new categories of length to think about.

chicken
September 15th, 2011, 03:59 AM
My hair is around hip. The last 15 years I dreamed of having hair that long and that hiplong hair must be really long. But now, it doesn't seem that long to me. Perhaps TBL is long or classic... let's see what I think about that when I reached that milestones...

Aredhel77
September 15th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Mine is just at bra-strap length. I'm heading for waist and growing out annoying layers. But my hair now regularly gets trapped under my armpits, or catches under my back when I'm lying down. That's an indicator to me that it's never before been this long LOL :D.

Amarante
September 15th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Mine is just at bra-strap length. I'm heading for waist and growing out annoying layers. But my hair now regularly gets trapped under my armpits, or catches under my back when I'm lying down. That's an indicator to me that it's never before been this long LOL :D.

Lol I got so excited when mine first started getting caught like that. It's like finally getting proof of its getting longer. :D

Kyaatje
September 15th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I never really had long hair so I thought that every new stage of measurement would feel long, but I was wrong !
I'm now a bit shy of waist (I think) and it doesn't feel long to me. People comment on how long my hair is, but no for me it is still short ! Maybe that is because I started out wanting it to grow as long as it would ? That way I conditioned myself to feeling short when I still think it can grow ? Don't know, but anyway : I have no idea when it will feel long LOL

sunshine-locks
September 15th, 2011, 04:09 AM
My hairs's not far away from APL and it feels long to me XD probably because it hasn't been past shoulder for a long time before this D:

Aredhel77
September 15th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Lol I got so excited when mine first started getting caught like that. It's like finally getting proof of its getting longer. :D

I'm kind of excited and mildly irritated at the same time LOL. But mostly excited :cheese:. I may need to start thinking about updos (I can do a few but I hardly ever wear my hair up anywhere public, it makes me feel naked!)

Amarante
September 15th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I'm kind of excited and mildly irritated at the same time LOL. But mostly excited :cheese:. I may need to start thinking about updos (I can do a few but I hardly ever wear my hair up anywhere public, it makes me feel naked!)

I agree! I hate the feeling of my hair up, but I'm trying to wear it up at least a few days a week to help preserve the ends. I mostly wear it up at home, where no one can see me. :p

annieangel149
September 15th, 2011, 04:25 AM
my hair is kind of beginning to feel long to me, now that it isnt sitting at my neck anymore! It falls down my back now which feels nice:)! Im very nearly at APL :D so its still short really!

annieangel149
September 15th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I agree! I hate the feeling of my hair up, but I'm trying to wear it up at least a few days a week to help preserve the ends. I mostly wear it up at home, where no one can see me. :p

I have never really liked wearing my hair up but in the last three weeks have been forcing myself to! I have discovered in doing this that my hair is much less tangly at the ends and does look in much better condition! :cheese: It doesn't feel uncomfortable like it use to! I think you just get use to it! :D

Amarante
September 15th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I have never really liked wearing my hair up but in the last three weeks have been forcing myself to! I have discovered in doing this that my hair is much less tangly at the ends and does look in much better condition! :cheese: It doesn't feel uncomfortable like it use to! I think you just get use to it! :D

I hope so, because it would be nice to be able to wear it up and not have to style it. Plus, I'd like to show off my hairsticks. ;)

moon2dove
September 15th, 2011, 05:09 AM
My hair is curly. When it's wet it's past BSL. When it' air dried curly it's sort of just below shoulder length, that's when it feels really short. After a couple of days of plaiting it straightens out a bit and looks longer. My son said the other day. " Mum, your hair is REALLY long!" But to me it's still quite short. I have to say though, since changing my routine my hair has grown quicker and longer than at any other time in my life. ;) I must be doing something right. (It's about time too) :) I am not measuring my hair for at least another 3 weeks :)

kanaka
September 15th, 2011, 05:12 AM
My hair is about an inch past hip but i don't feel it as long because i had more than TBL hair two months back.... When i grow back my hair again i can feel a bit that its long but not too long :)

moon2dove
September 15th, 2011, 05:18 AM
...Also, I have started to wear my hair up. I have NEVER worn my hair up! I only know how to do pony tails and buns to protect the ends. I do feel a bit 'Naked' at first, and, it's a bit drafty around my neck and ears ! but I think I can live with that :)
I can't wait for it to be a little longer to try out new up do's.
I haven't really got a goal, except - L O N G - :)
As L O N G as I can, because i've never had long hair :)

moon2dove
September 15th, 2011, 05:21 AM
@kanaka
Your hair is long and very beautiful :)

MinderMutsig
September 15th, 2011, 05:22 AM
It's starting to but then it's never been this long in my life. I'm also starting to remember WHY it's never been this long. Tickling hairs on my back, on the back of my arms, getting stuck between my back and the chair, it can get annoying! I'm really enjoying growing my hair though so I'll gladly put up with it and if all else fails I can always put it up and forget about it.

I know it's not long long yet but it definitely feels long to me.

kanaka
September 15th, 2011, 05:28 AM
@kanaka
Your hair is long and very beautiful :)

Thank you so much for your sweet comment :) Hey like you i too started wearing my hair up which i never did till now. I am feeling a bit awkward but getting used to it :D

Don't worry, your hair will grow pretty soon as you started taking care of it :D

Deliciosa
September 15th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Strangely enough I have long hair days after I washed my hair so every 2 weeks and then after a week my hair in my head begins to shrink...just like that...I mean its tailbone but sometimes it almost feels pixie...and it never was tailbone before....
AND it always feels thin...not thick enough...last time I measure I had 11cm...but i constantly look at other peoples pony tails and think: Naw yours is thicker even if it isnt...WAAAHHHH

bratz81
September 15th, 2011, 07:25 AM
hmmm, yes and no. I had hair I could sit on til I was 22 then I cut it all off in a pixie. And between then and now (I'm 29) I've grown it out, cut it again, grown it out, cut it - never getting past shoulder length.

It's just below shoulder length now (must get a pic of it actually) and it's the longest it's been in 8 years so in that respect yes it feels long, but also compared to how it was before, and to other people no it's still short!

redmj
September 15th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I know what you mean. My hair is 29 in. but it is curly and that takes up a few inches. Even though my hair is almost half as long as I am tall I feel like it is still just mid-length. I'm not sure I will be able to consider it long until it is about hip length.

Yame
September 15th, 2011, 08:39 AM
My hair is almost at hip and I don't think it looks very long. It's not short by any means, but LHC changed my perception of length.

lapispimpernel
September 15th, 2011, 09:16 AM
My hair feels short to me. It's not at waist yet, so it's still in the short-ish range for LHC, too. Even at tailbone, I don't know that I would perceive it as long. I think hair would feel long at fingertip length. Maybe. :confused:

sre
September 15th, 2011, 09:33 AM
By LHC standards I don't have long hair at all, but on the common people scale it falls in the category of "long". I don't feel that my hair is long, it's quite short in my opinion, not even BSL. I have actually annoyed some people with much shorter hair by whining about my hair being so short... but that's only how I see it. I know that my hair isn't that short for real, but it isn't long either. I think/hope my hair will start to feel longish around waist, which is my goal for now.

spidermom
September 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Yes it does. I declared myself to have long hair at APL. Now my hair is extra-super-duper long. I hope it will grow even longer.

sun-kissed
September 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
No, I've had my hair around BSL all my life; in my eyes BSL on me is 'normal' length, waist is 'medium', and beyond TBL is 'long'.

Signe
September 15th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Before I came to LHC, I felt like my BSL hair was quite long. Now that I have been here for a while, "almost waist" feels medium. Also, I see soooooo many people now with hair longer than mine because I am paying so much more attention, so I never feel like I measure up.
I am also 5'10", which makes my milestones seem to take forever to get to, and the length doesn't sit on my body like it would with a shorter person.
I reckon I will feel like a long hair if my hair skims my hipbones when pulled forward, but who knows...when I get there I will probably feel like fingertip is truly long. :p

ssjhotau2
September 15th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I'm a bit pass waist and it is only just starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere as far as growing my hair long lol. To me TBL or longer is where true "long" hair starts
I can not find my measuring tape to see how many inches I have :(

squiggyflop
September 15th, 2011, 10:28 AM
my hair feels long to me. but it didnt really feel long until i hit tailbone. now at classic it definately feels long

BabyRay33
September 15th, 2011, 11:00 AM
While I feel my hair is not long....it is long for me, because I haven't had it this long since I was a little kid.

I think I will feel like it is long when it covers my boobs from the front and I get to trim out some of the layers that make it look short.

My BF says its long from the back...but I can't see that as well!

Cowgirl16
September 15th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Yes I "feel" like my hair is long. :D I just trimmed and it's about 42 1/2" now.
It is starting to tickle the back of my thighs when it is down :)

NotInPortland
September 15th, 2011, 11:27 AM
My hair doesn't feel long to me yet, but I often get comments especially from hair dressers about how long it is. I don't think it will start to feel long to me until I reach about tail bone or so.

Zesty
September 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM
It sort of depends. If I'm wearing it down for drying purposes (I never wear it down when it's dry), then it gets in the way and I feel like it's long because it's a nuisance. But other times it feels short... like in the shower when I'm spreading on the conditioner and it feels like my hair stops too soon, or when I see it from a certain angle and the layers make it look like it's NOT waist length -- even though I know it is. Sometimes I have to get a hand mirror and look at it from the back to remind myself that it's long. But I imagine I won't actually always feel like it's long until it reaches TBL, because that's where I picture it. I want it to be a cape!

oktobergoud
September 15th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Well.. this may sound odd but yes, my hair feels long.. TO ME. I have a grown out pixie (I think you can call it a shaggy bob now :P) and it has been years when my hair was this long! I've had supershort pixies forever, so my hair feels and looks long to me :P Even to my friends! They are all like 'woah your hair is long!'.

Funny actually, when everyone on LHC will find my hair supersupershort. Heck, even people in real life will find it short (besides my friends & family)! It just feels so long to me :P

Chetanlaiho
September 15th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I saw a picture from the back of my head and realized my hair was way longer than I thought it was! xD (It's actually nearing hip already, but the last few inches are seethrough =()

It generally doesn't feel long yet, but that's just because of a haircut not gone entirely right leaving me with only about a third of my hair actually that length. I think if I get a more blunt hemline it'll start to feel longer =)

gthlvrmx
September 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Nope, nope! It definitely doesn't feel long!
I feel that maybe at finally tailbone it will finally feel long. After i hit the top of my bum, i will finally feel like a LongHair!!
Every length after that is perfect :)

LittleOrca
September 15th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Nope. My hair, sitting at about 40-42 inches feels rather short to me. Once I get to classic, I hope it starts to feel long! :)

BlazingHeart
September 15th, 2011, 01:55 PM
*shrug* It feels moderately long to me. I'm rather short, and very shortwaisted, so 28" on me is waist. It's the longest my hair has been since I cut it in the late spring of '08, so 3 1/2 years or so. I think it'll start feeling truly long when it hits hip, which is an irritatingly tangly length for me. Hopefully hip won't be as annoying to manage as I remember, as the last time my hair was that long was a decade ago and I wore it down 24/7.

~Blaze

Amarante
September 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Hopefully hip won't be as annoying to manage as I remember, as the last time my hair was that long was a decade ago and I wore it down 24/7.

~Blaze

That's cool that you've been that length before, and already kinda have an idea of what it will be like, how it will behave, etc. I've never had my hair longer than BSL so it's all new to me.

PinkyCat
September 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Yes but not enough. 3 more inches & I'll feel better.

longcurlygirl<3
September 15th, 2011, 02:12 PM
My hair's probably 36-37 inches right now--I haven't measure it in a couple of months. It does feel long to me. Not when it's up, as my buns aren't huge or anything. But when it's down it sure does. It's the experience of it being down, having it pretty much dominate my torso, and getting overwhelmingly wild and everywhere, and feeling stressed about all the extra effort required to keep it from snagging and such that makes me feel like yeah, this is some long hair. And detangling it--how long it actually take to start from the bottom and work my way up, and the way I have to reposition my body to brush it and/or braid it.

I agree, plus when I can feel my hair touching my elbows as I walk it's AWESOME!!:poot:

Amarante
September 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I agree, plus when I can feel my hair touching my elbows as I walk it's AWESOME!!:poot:

I'm almost there! It brushes the middle of my upper arms for now. :D

teal
September 15th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I think so, just now. While my hair is certainly long by normal standards, mine feels long to me when I can feel it on my lower back and under my elbows. It's just getting to that point now.

slz
September 15th, 2011, 02:36 PM

mallorykay13
September 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM
When I have it down around DBF it feels long because he loves it so much and tells me so... Any other time, no way! Compared to other girls in my area its average.

ladylovecraft
September 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I've kept my hair at or shorter than APL since I was 14 or so... and I just started growing form a pixie two years ago. Now that it's a little longer than BSL, sometimes it will feel long draping against my back or touching my arms, but when I take photos of the back it feels so short!

So short answer: No. It still feels very short, though I thought I would at least be starting to feel like a longhair at BSL... Hopefully waist will do the trick?

Jessica Trapp
September 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Mine started feeling "long" the day I did the cousin it thing and it touching the floor. I was so excited that I raced home and took the photo that is currently my avatar.

SilentGuardian
September 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I don't think my hair has ever felt long to me. It has never been longer than APL really, though, but then it still felt short to me. Atleast it will be back at APL by the end of this year :) Maybe in another year it will feel long

battles
September 15th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Mine started feeling "long" the day I did the cousin it thing and it touching the floor. I was so excited that I raced home and took the photo that is currently my avatar.

:laugh: I wish I could do that.

Cirafly24
September 15th, 2011, 08:02 PM
My hair started feeling long to me at about 40". It won't feel long ENOUGH for a while yet, though :o

SarahKayfa
September 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Since I've had my hair chin length and above for the last 14 years, having hair that's APL to me is almost long. But I've been hanging around this length most of the summer and although it is growing longer it feels shorter...I guess the novelty of buns, braids, and french twists have worn off and I'm excited to try some new long hair styles---when I finally get there.

prairiegirl
September 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
To me bsl feels sooo, so short. I've been at waist length most of my life (until about a year ago.) I 'll fell longhaired again when I get back there :)

Yozhik
September 15th, 2011, 08:51 PM
At about waist length my hair started feeling long to me. :)

I think that's when my hair got the longest it's ever been. Now I'm in the abyss between waist and hip...I've been here for what seems like aaages. But my hair still feels long. :D

Mairéad
September 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM
For me, long used to be when I could grab my hair from behind without needing to do so much as bend an elbow. When I'd gotten my hair trimmed in the past and could no longer grab the length without bending or reaching for it, I felt as if too much had been cut off.

Obviously I'm no where near capable of doing that at the moment. :D

AlicesPlatforms
September 15th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I feel like my hair is long when it basically goes all the way down my back(it does right now, yay!). Another thing is, the closer I get to a yard(lol) which is where I was before, it feels... Right? I guess it's just what I'm used to, but I can't wait to see it surpass that. :D

Amarante
September 15th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Random:

AlicesPlatforms, I LOVE your hair color! Welcome to LHC :)

Mairéad
September 15th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Random:

I agree. I can't wait to see more of it!

Rosethorn
September 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM
My hair is a bit longer than waist length and to me, it feels short. I look at it and think aaarrrrg! so short! Part of this is possibly because I haven't gotten back to where I was when I last cut off a lot of the length (long story, but it had to be done). If anybody comments on my length, I'll say something like "it's getting there.". I'm hoping to get to knee length one day. Maybe then I'll be satisfied? :confused:

Soulina
September 16th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I have newer felt that my hair is long, I just wait that day that I can say that my hair is long, and actually feel like it. My hair is currently 29", but I am only 5`18 tall. Maybe when its tailbone lenght I can feel it to be long.:)

longhairedlady
September 16th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I feel the same way. I keep comparing myself to ladies with very long hair, like calf length and I just dont view myself as someone with long hair. Everyone around me tells me its long but I guess I have a different idea in my mind of want long is than they do!

oktobergoud
September 16th, 2011, 12:50 PM

Hahaha your avatar is amazing! :P

Chromis
September 16th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Yup, my hair feels long now :lol:

I look forward to feeling it grow even more long too!

AlicesPlatforms
September 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Random:

I agree. I can't wait to see more of it!

Thank you! :blushing:

Aerin
September 16th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Ha! Every time my hair gets caught under something, either me, a shoulder bag, or whatever, I think it's long! I think this may be part of my problem with actually growing it to some length.

excentricat
September 16th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Sometimes my hair feels long, since it hasn't been this long since about 5th grade. Other times, I come here. Then I realize how very far I have to go to have really long hair.

PeaceLoveHair
September 16th, 2011, 05:56 PM
ugh. My hair doesnt feel long. My goal when I joined LHC was waist length, and I reached that this spring. Then I cut off a couple inches in July and now I'm back to waist, but I cant help thinking i couldve been longer if I didnt cut. Seems like I've been at waist forever and all i want is to be at tailbone!! Will I ever be satisfiesd? LOL

~Jenny^-^~
September 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I have always been a scissor happy person. :P So I've had my hair above shoulder length for pretty much the past 5 years. Now that it's collar bone length I feel like I have "long" hair, even though I KNOW my hair is short compared to a lot of beauties here on the LHC. :) But right now I can feel perfectly content with having my "long" hair 'cuz I'm just proud of myself for being "scissor sober" for almost a year now! Lol ^-^

celebriangel
September 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
No.

I'm at BSL right now - the longer end of it, heading to MBL - and it's *starting* to feel long. Years before I joined LHC, my mum forgot to drag me to the hairdresser for ages and my hair reached almost waist, and I started feeling at that time that my hair was long. I remember loving the sensation, and wearing my hair down all that day (which I never did) like a cape, even though I wasn't thrilled with the colour and texture.

I'm almost at that length again now - where your hair drapes down your arms towards your elbow and spills over your breasts - and I can't wait to have it back. I still don't think my hair will feel long then, though. I think, if I really dig deep, long hair to me means solid hip, nearing BCL.

Wow. Which means it'll take me at least 3 years to be satisfied with my length. Well, I suppose I shall wait. If my hair would just get out of the stall it's been having this month - I think I've only had 1/4" of growth! - then I would be happier :)

I hope to be at that previous, loved length by christmas. Waist should be in early 2012.

HappyHair87
September 16th, 2011, 08:54 PM
With my shrinkage....my hair will NEVER feel long...i guess. My hair stretches to my armpit...but shrinks up to my nape in the back.

I guess when i reach WL stretched i'll feel like it's long...well at least I will know its long.

ETA: However...it DID feel kinda long earlier this week when my fro got caught in my zipper while i was putting it on....also when i accidently rolled it up in the car window yesterday!!:cheese:

Rybe
September 16th, 2011, 10:46 PM
My hair started feeling long when I'd be slouching in my chair and my cat would climb in my lap and start stomping all over my hair. Mind you, my cat is very heavy, it hurt! Also when cooking without putting my hair back started to seem dangerous... But now that I've shortened it up a bit I miss it!

hototogisu
September 17th, 2011, 02:30 AM
It's a little longer than bsl, and it feels long when it brushes the back of my arms when it's down, but it's not going to feel 'long' until it's touching my elbows!!

maria_asa
September 17th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I didn't start to fell that my hair was long until it reached classic length. It's now a couple of inches past that and I still have days when it just seems like medium long to me.

Liluri
September 17th, 2011, 03:18 AM
I saw a girl with a long braid at the shops and I was envious, then I realized that her hair was waist length at best and my hair is about 4 inches longer than hers. Obviously I don't feel like my hair is long :)