PDA

View Full Version : Color Oops/Henna in Real Time

julierockhead
September 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM
This is a thread detailing my Color Oops http://www.drugstore.com:80/color-oops-hair-color-remover-extra-conditioning/qxp170250?catid=183439&fromsrch=color+oop
and Henna adventure over the next 24 hours!Whoo hoo!

I just applied the Color Oops to remove my yucky brownish box color. :joy: Color Oops is *apparently* non-damaging and contains no ammonia or bleach. We will see in about 45 minutes - it needs to process for 20 minutes, then be washed and rinsed for 20 minutes. Wish me luck!

Aimskylove
September 14th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Bump!
:) Im curious, good luck!

julierockhead
September 14th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Well, although my hair is wet, I can tell it is quite a bit lighter. That's good, it will be much closer to my natural honey blonde when dry. It does not feel damaged or straw-like, but I'll be able too tell the condition better later when it completely dry.

However...

Before I go on, let me give some perspective. I have worked in microbiology labs, veterinary hospitals, nursing homes, and at the local zoo. I have been skunked. So, I have smelled worse stuff than this.

But not worse by much...and this stuff seems to be as stubborn as skunk spray. I washed my hair three times, and rinsed for more than the recommended 20 minutes, and I stink. Even my DH, who is notoriously hard of smelling, is sleeping in the guest bedroom.

I read about this stuff widely before I decided to use it, so I know the odor will dissipate after a day or two. I would recommend it if you really, really, REALLY just must have your color out, and you have a strong tolerance for nasty stink.

Amarante
September 14th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I'm curious to see if it lightened evenly or if it's noticeably lighter in certain areas. Also if it pulled out more reddish/goldish tones?

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 07:35 AM
My hair is completely dry now, and seems to have lightened everything evenly to the same tone as my original color, but it is a bit more yellow than my natural color. That's just the damage from using box colors with ammonia and peroxide, I kind of expected it. There doesn't seem to be any damage from the lightening at all. I'm pretty darn happy with it, but I wouldn't just leave it this color. I am very glad to be able to henna now! Yay!:happydance:

My goopy green moldy-hay smelling henna is cookin' right now about a foot away from the radiator. I am going to add some lavender and rose essential oils before application. I eagerly await dye release so I can pile it on my head! Stay tuned!

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I really think henna is a lot easier than it's made out to be. Granted, it would be easier with a friend's help but so would box coloring.

I mixed 200 grams of henna and I used it all, I have medium fine hair but lots and lots of it. I mixed it to the consistency of yogurt with water and ACV. I sectioned my hair into five clumps and just slapped it on, using a small spatula and my fingers. It didn't drip and I didn't even get much on my "beauty garb" - a tee-shirt and sweats I use for painting and haircoloring. I spaced on adding any essential oils but it doesn't smell bad when it's on, just kind of organic and cut grass. It smelled worse when I was mixing it fresh.

It's going to be exciting to see the color in a few hours! I know it won't happen in one application but I am looking forward to having heavy, glossy auburn hair.

I'll be posting a picture later tonight, my very first pic on LHC. My 12 year old will be helping me with the technical difficulties. :p

Anje
September 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM
This is a cool idea. Do you have any pictures of the various stages? Pre-Color Oops, post-Color Oops, etc.?

ssjhotau2
September 15th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Aww I eagerly await the pictures :) I loved my first henna. It never did get the vibrant red I wanted, but I do like my color that it turned out to be. Even if it is "orange" as one of my co-workers said :p

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM
This is a cool idea. Do you have any pictures of the various stages? Pre-Color Oops, post-Color Oops, etc.?

No, I don't...I have been so disgusted with my hair the past year or so I didn't want any evidence lying around! I wanted my first pic here to at least be the color, or close to the color, I have always wanted.

I will be posting a pic later on, if all goes well and my daughter has patience with me.:p

Amarante
September 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Cheers for your new color! :cheese:

And no visible damage either? It's not dry, or brittle feeling or anything? I may give it a try and see if I can get mine to lighten a bit.

swearnsue
September 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Is the henna still in your hair? It's hard to wait, but the longer the better! How is it going???

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Cheers for your new color! :cheese:

And no visible damage either? It's not dry, or brittle feeling or anything? I may give it a try and see if I can get mine to lighten a bit.

No, the Color Oops did nothing but lighten my hair from a medium brown (multiple permanent box color dye jobs) to a golden honey blonde. No further damage at all. But, I have read reviews that cover the spectrum on Color Oops and its European counterpart, Colour B4, so YMMV. Nobody said it damaged their hair, but some people had very little color removal. It's worth a shot for 10 bucks.

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I'm done! Rinsing was an experience, but warm water and COwashing did the trick. (Note to self - make sure the drain is running well before rinsing henna, so I am not standing in green goop next time).

I have some major reddish-orange hair! It's not quite the depth of color I want, but as it oxidizes it should darken, and I am planning another application next Fri. My ends were a teeny bit crunchy, so I oiled the lengths and ends with Nightblooming triple moon oil. This was such a different experience than box color, so much more pleasant, and so nice to know it was good for my hair and health instead of bad.

I am a brand new henna-head!:laugh:

Aimskylove
September 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I have used color oops! yes smells bad, but I didnt think it was THAT bad lol

Amarante
September 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I have some major reddish-orange hair!

What mix of henna did you use?

supbanana
September 15th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I can't wait to see the pictures!! I'm glad the Color Oops worked for you... I'll keep that in mind and pass it on to some buddies. Very exciting. :)

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Aww I eagerly await the pictures :) I loved my first henna. It never did get the vibrant red I wanted, but I do like my color that it turned out to be. Even if it is "orange" as one of my co-workers said :p
How rude. I hope you told him/her that they were looking a little fat lately.

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM
What mix of henna did you use?

Just henna, water, and a splash of ACV.

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 08:22 PM
OK, I have an avatar picture on my profile of my new hair if anyone wants to go see! Hopefully the quality of my pics will improve.

I can't seem to upload the pic to my albums, to post it in the thread...I remember seeing help on this somewhere but I forgot where, if you have a sec and can pm me to help I would appreciate!

Mairéad
September 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Oh, this has me all excited! I hope I see some pictures soon!

Amarante
September 15th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Ooo the color turned out very nice! :D

julierockhead
September 15th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Thank you Amarante!