PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone perfume their hair?

NightOwl26
September 14th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Does anyone put a little extra something in their hair to make it smell really good?

For example: essential oils? Conditioner makes my hair smell good, but I want something more. I just purchased lavender and jasmine oils to mix with my new unscented natural coconut oil. I've become fed up with my older coconut oil's scent. I haven't tried them yet but I'm excited!

archel
September 14th, 2011, 08:49 PM
When I do my castor oiling my hair smells amazing because I put lavender/vanilla EO in it - it's so lovely before bed time. Sometimes I use Aveda Brilliant spray to make my hair shiny and it smells like pure heaven (ylangylang and patchouli I think)

misspurdy06
September 14th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I spray my perfume on my brush then brush it into my hair. It lasts longer in my hair and makes my boyfriend stuff his face in my hair he loves it.

luxepiggy
September 14th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I always put a bit of my regular fragrance in my hair - I like all of me to match, scent-wise (^(oo)^)

NightOwl26
September 14th, 2011, 09:04 PM
When I do my castor oiling my hair smells amazing because I put lavender/vanilla EO in it - it's so lovely before bed time. Sometimes I use Aveda Brilliant spray to make my hair shiny and it smells like pure heaven (ylangylang and patchouli I think)

Today at the store I really wanted to buy vanilla oil but it's way expensive! I was also inhaling the ylang ylang oil too and loving it but had to cut myself off! I have a stash of products now after being on LHC for 3 months now. :o

I like to spray perfume in my hair too but worry about the chemicals/alcohols in it now.

luxepiggy
September 14th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Today at the store I really wanted to buy vanilla oil but it's way expensive! I was also inhaling the ylang ylang oil too and loving it but had to cut myself off! I have a stash of products now after being on LHC for 3 months now. :o

I like to spray perfume in my hair too but worry about the chemicals/alcohols in it now.

My perfume is in oil form, so I have no qualms about swiping a bit through my hair :D

Tapioca
September 14th, 2011, 09:12 PM
My leave-in is a mix of aloe and jojoba oil, but I always add a bit of perfume oil as well.

Lostsoule77
September 14th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I never would've thought to do this, but I love good smelling hair. I just might have to pick up some EO's when I have some extra cash. Where is the best place to buy them because I never seem to find any?

Lady Dragon
September 14th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I loved doing this to my hair last time it had some length... I often used coconut oil for shine and fragrance.

dragonette@1
September 14th, 2011, 10:18 PM
You can try Whole Foods Market, local health food stores, Mountainroseherbs.com, iherb.com, etc.

I never would've thought to do this, but I love good smelling hair. I just might have to pick up some EO's when I have some extra cash. Where is the best place to buy them because I never seem to find any?

julierockhead
September 14th, 2011, 11:07 PM
BPAL (Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs) fragrances are great for perfuming hair and adding to leave-ins. They sell samples that last forever. You can sometimes find them on the swap board.

http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/welcome.html

sun-kissed
September 14th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I don't perfume any part of me, much less my hair. I just want to smell like me; smelling a scent all day would drive me nuts.
Of course, neither do I bother to use makeup, or shampoo, or bodywash, or strong scented deoderent -- so there's a kind of a trend in my lifestyle.
/shrug.
It's nice to smell other people's perfume, though. :D

ETA: I do buy EO's for other reasons, though. I get the YoungLiving (https://www.youngliving.org/oils4wellness) brand, and have been very happy with them for many years now.

wooliswonderful
September 14th, 2011, 11:46 PM
OK. so I'm looking at essential oils on etsy and asked DH what scents he likes. His response? Beef Jerky, Chainsaw gas, Brewer's yeast, and several other "hilarious" examples. :rolleyes:

battles
September 15th, 2011, 12:11 AM
OK. so I'm looking at essential oils on etsy and asked DH what scents he likes. His response? Beef Jerky, Chainsaw gas, Brewer's yeast, and several other "hilarious" examples. :rolleyes:

Hm, I wouldn't go with the beef jerky. :D Maybe the chainsaw gas.

Melisande
September 15th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I use Lush's solid perfumes: Honey I washed the kids, American Cream, Olive Branch, Vanillary and The Comforter are my favorites. They are based on natural butters, so I feel I'm doing my hair a favour when I use them ;-)

swearnsue
September 15th, 2011, 09:06 PM
My husband would say he loves the smell of bacon! LOL I read once that men like the smell of cinnamon and vanilla. Just my 2 cents worth.

TheBluffs
September 15th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I put a titbit of cinnamon in my leave in, as I adore the smell of cinnamon. :)

Lostsoule77
September 15th, 2011, 10:26 PM
You can try Whole Foods Market, local health food stores, Mountainroseherbs.com, iherb.com, etc.

Thank you! :D

Mythica
September 15th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Cool, I'm not the only one who puts a dab of cinnamon in. :D
I do like ylang ylang and cinnamon together as a normal perfume (I tend to mix my own roll-ons) so I sometimes put a couple drops of the mix on my fingers and finger-comb it in.

Soulina
September 16th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I use rose or orangeflower water in my hair. I just spray it gently to my hair. I dont want people to "smell" my hair from other side of the room. Just litle bit when they are right next to me.

But other than that I do not use perfumes at all, my spouse is allergic to most of them.

mrs_coffee
September 16th, 2011, 05:04 AM
I always spray a bit of my LUSH perfume in my hair.

Pierre
September 16th, 2011, 06:25 AM
I often make my scent match my color by putting henna attar in my hair. I also use a mix of ylang-ylang, patchouli, and tea tree oil.

JDzWife
September 16th, 2011, 06:33 AM
I love Calgon's body sprays, especially their Hawaiian Ginger and Tahitian Orchid. A few sprays around my neck and a few sprays in my hand and then I run my hand through my hair. I do worry about the chemicals, but only do this when going out with the hubby. I get so many compliments.

ellen732
September 16th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I use Redken's Radiant Sea Spray for scent.....it says it releases the scent every time you touch your hair.

NightOwl26
September 22nd, 2011, 05:12 PM
So I've been using my coconut oil mixed with lavender oil and the scent doesn't last at all. It's still nice at the time. When I eventually castor oil my roots I can use it then. I haven't used the jasmine oil yet.

I use Lush's solid perfumes: Honey I washed the kids, American Cream, Olive Branch, Vanillary and The Comforter are my favorites. They are based on natural butters, so I feel I'm doing my hair a favour when I use them ;-)
I will have to try these!!!

Thank you for the lovely tips. My favorite perfume is Viva La Juicy and I spray that in my hair still. :)

Stephanie
September 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Sometimes I use a rose infused oil on my ends, other times, I spritz my BBB with my favorite perfume and brush through. I love nice smelling hair. :)

misspurdy06
September 22nd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Lavender and pumpkin pie drives men ca-razy. Or so I have read but I believe it.

Juicematic
September 22nd, 2011, 05:19 PM
I use the pink sugar hair perfume occasionally. It smells yummy. I should use it more often!

Kindredraeven
September 22nd, 2011, 05:20 PM
Lavender, Gotta have it!!! I must say I started doing that cause perfume never smelled the same when I put it on my skin, but In my hair it's awesome!!! Not that having my sweetie smell handsfull of hair has anything to do with it either < giggles>

Dorothy
September 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
I enjoy scenting my hair with incense, as I understand Japanese ladies have done in the past. They slept on special incense burner pillows, but what I do is sit on the couch and put the incense burner between my feet on the floor, and wave my hair through the smoke as it's drying.

It's a lot of trouble but I enjoy the process. Not for work, but for home, for laying around enjoying my hair, or for going out.

Cassie 123
September 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
I like to catch a whiff of a single pure scent like rose or lavender just as I wash or as I take my bun or braid out. If there are too many scents or if I smell it all the time, my sniffer quickly gets overwhelmed. In summer, a bit of rosewater in a distilled water or citric acid rinse is very nice, and I'm experimenting with adding just a drop of essential oil. I'm thinking a bit of patchouli or myrrh might be nice for autumn, and maybe fir or frankincense for the holiday season.

I love Nag Champa; I might try the incense idea.

Airmide
September 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM

My husband would say he loves the smell of bacon! LOL I read once that men like the smell of cinnamon and vanilla. Just my 2 cents worth.

There are perfumes out there for these scents! I have one from my favorite perfumer, Fabeinne at Possets. It didn't quite work out for me so I may be looking to sell/swap it eventually. It's called Tricky and was an april fool's scent with bacon as the main note! I'm still looking for a good tomato leaf perfume and the perfect bacon perfume (I already have lettuce and rye bread, so I'm halfway to smelling like a BLT lol)

Demeter Fragrance Library has a ton of scents and theirs are more natural than most perfumes, but still alcohol based. http://www.demeterfragrance.com/ . Some examples of odd scents are Clean Windows, Mildew, Rubber and Turpentine.

I sometimes scent my hair with a drop of perfume oil, usually from Possets. I change out my perfumes at least daily depending on my mood and outfit, but I only wash my hair at most once every two weeks, so I have to pick a scent that compliments all my other scents. Usually I go with Buttermilk Pie. I think it's my all-time favorite and seems to go with about everything. I also love Easter Grass.

Last week I discovered a new holy grail type hair product! Euphony's Lemon Parfait "Too Shea!" whipped shea butter. I used to use jojoba oil, which I still like, but her shea butter leaves my hair looking super healthy and without that oily look that's easy to get when oiling. And it smells INCREDIBLE! I was trying not to sniff my hair at the doctors office lol, and when I was at her booth I was nearly huffing the sample jar. She has a bunch of other scents too including Lavender, and tangerine/patchouli/cinnamon but the Lemon Parfait is by far my favorite (she's an LHC member so you could probably PM her since she doesn't have all her scents listed on her website yet). http://elateyoursenses.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Shicurls
September 22nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
I love putting something great smelling in my hair. For me I add Lavender or Thieves (from Young Living) EO's in my spray bottle and I mix one or the other into the oil I am using. Sometimes, if I'm using 'cones, I will spray in Angel hair perfume or put my Lolita Lempicka perfume into my hair. I love the thought of incense as well, but I live with people that are allergic to it, so I can't burn any.

<3OnHerSleeve
September 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
I put Strawberry essential oil into my rooibos tea spray which I spray into my hair each morning. I also love the Herbal Essences Conditioners which really make my hair smell amazing. I'm very fond of the smell of coconut oil too and am thinking of putting another essential oil in with it.

Airmide
September 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
I put Strawberry essential oil into my rooibos tea spray which I spray into my hair each morning.

Ooh this sounds like a great idea!! Where do you get the strawberry essential oil? Do you find it to be lightening at all? I know strawberries are acidic and can be used for teeth lightening. I've been doing the roobios spray off and on, and I'm not a huge fan of the scent so that addition sounds lovely!

emelnd
September 22nd, 2011, 07:08 PM
I spray perfume in my hair. I hadn't thought about the alcohol in the perfume.

SkinnyCookie
September 22nd, 2011, 07:20 PM
Strawberry V05. It's fantastic conditioner even compared to pretty nice brands, and when you walk in the door people ask what smells like milkshakes!:magic:

Yozhik
September 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
I just bought some new coconut oil (Parachute brand) today, and it smells divine! I just want to eat it up, and now my hair! The coconut oil I had before smelled kind of smoky (different type of processing), so I'm adoring this new stuff. I foresee a lot of yummy-smelling hair in my future! :D

SarahKayfa
September 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
I use a vanilla perfume, and I spray this in my hair as well. I'd love to know how to make a lavender oil from you ladies that make your own scents.

Cassie 123
September 22nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
I use a vanilla perfume, and I spray this in my hair as well. I'd love to know how to make a lavender oil from you ladies that make your own scents.

If you have your own lavender plants, you could infuse freshly dried lavender in the carrier oil of your choice; but, really, the small bottles of pure lavender essential oil that you can buy in any health food store have an excellent fragrance and should not be too expensive, as essential oils go. Then you can just add the lavender essential oil to your own unscented oil. Lavender is very safe and you could add as much as 10 drops of lavender per ounce of unscented oil, but you could probably get a good effect using quite a bit less.

gazelle
September 24th, 2011, 01:48 PM
On weekends, I use solid parfume with shea butter, castor oil and linden flowers in it. If I am on work day, I put some lavender oil around my ears and neck, because of the lice problem in my school. It is said that lice don't come because of lavender's scent

RitaPG
September 24th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I used to add a drop of Jasmine EO to my jojoba and put that on my braid. The smell would last for days. Don't do that anymore, though.
I've been using leave-ins regularly now and my conditioners all smell nice :) Sometimes I add a bit of cinnamon to my conditioner - I used to have an EO, but somehow I lost it :(

redmj
October 3rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
My dad and I make soap and bath fizz and he has a lot of EOs but he wont let me use his for my hair. He got a sample of tahitian vanilla that smelled fabulous in the bottle. I put it on and ewwww it smelled like cement. I can't do "food" smells at all. Just earthy and floral sents for me. I'm looking for a good jasmine to use.

maborosi
October 3rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
I always loved to spray a bit of perfume onto my brush, then let it dry and brush my hair. My friends always said my hair smelled good :3

~maborosi~

teal
October 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
I do weekly-ish castor oil treatments and I put in several EOs. In between those I sometimes use Pandora's formula (http://pandoraslocks.blogspot.com/2011/01/pandoras-soothing-scalp-and-growth.html). Between the two my hair smells like EO all week, but not overpoweringly so. I can only smell it when I put my hair right up against my nose. DH likes it... I've caught him burying his face in my hair several times. :D

Y'know, if my DH came up with this, I'd put some beef jerky in my hair or do a beer treatment and then rub up against him like a cat. It'll wash. Careful what you wish for, yadda yadda! :D

ennuideluxe
October 3rd, 2011, 05:48 PM
I dilute rosewater with some plain water and mist my hair with it. It smells good, and in the summer, is amazingly cooling.

Netabug
October 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
I have been wanting to do this for a while. I need to buy some essential oils for both hair and skin perfuming! I love good smelling hair!

eshta
October 4th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I sometimes fingercomb a few drops of BPAL through my hair if I'm already applying it or mix a few drops EO with coconut oil. The scents don't linger long in my hair but I like to do it anyway.

seaj
October 4th, 2011, 04:12 AM
How can I make my hair smell like coffee? I don't think people would like it if I went with a gasoline scent.

Diamondbell
October 4th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Sometimes I use the sweet almond oil (Indian company) on scalp - just a tiny bit - and it smells nice :)

Of the Fae
October 4th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I use perfume oils. Lily of the Valley, some kind of flowery mix, lavender or rose :)
I also LOVE the smell of henna

teal
October 4th, 2011, 08:31 PM
How can I make my hair smell like coffee?

Oohhh, I'd love to smell like a coffee essential oil! :hmm:

xoxophelia
October 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I would but I live with somebody that has a sensitivity to perfume and know many similar people. I thought I should just spread the word about such people since it can really effect others lives.

Sookie
October 5th, 2011, 07:51 AM
One or two drops of baby oil! Everyone keeps asking me what's that wonderful smell haha

ElusiveMuse
October 5th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I put a few drops of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab perfume oil in my ACV rinse. The scent lasts a really long time.

Morpho.peleides
October 9th, 2011, 12:19 AM
BPAL (Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs) fragrances are great for perfuming hair and adding to leave-ins. They sell samples that last forever. You can sometimes find them on the swap board.

http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/welcome.html

Ah...I love BPAL and their perfume oils. I love 'O' in particular.
I don't really apply it on my hair but rather on my neck, around my hairline. I noticed it greatly enhances the scent of my shampoo. I just love it!

KattSmith
October 9th, 2011, 12:51 AM
I have a body mist that I like to spray in my brush ... about 3 sprays ... 1 per section as I brush.

StormVixen
October 9th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I'm using Starchild EOs... (in jojoba or argon) my usual scent is a mix of vanilla (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3315) and cardamom (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3352).. but I like jasmine (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3306), ylang ylang (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3317), neroli (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3409), oakmoss (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3411) and patchouli (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3416) too (probably not all at the same time!)

just noticed they are all aphrodisiacs, i think! lol (yep, just added links to starchild's description and uses for the oils... see for yourself :P)

Cassie 123
October 9th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I'm using Starchild EOs... (in jojoba or argon) my usual scent is a mix of vanilla (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3315) and cardamom (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3352).. but I like jasmine (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3306), ylang ylang (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3317), neroli (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3409), oakmoss (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3411) and patchouli (http://www.starchild.co.uk/default.aspx?appid=6564&pid=3416) too (probably not all at the same time!)

just noticed they are all aphrodisiacs, i think! lol (yep, just added links to starchild's description and uses for the oils... see for yourself :P)

Haha.. I like how you think! Now I am very curious about oakmoss; I have never smelled this before. I will have to keep an eye out for it in stores.

tmolly
August 29th, 2014, 12:07 AM
So glad to hear that I can add EOs to my hair care routine for a great scent. I hate feeling locked to a commercial product because of the fragrance more so than the performance. Will investigate further!

moontree
August 29th, 2014, 06:37 AM
I'm seconding the BPAL (black phoenix alchemy lab) recommendation! I'm pretty sure they use avocado oil as the base for their scents, at least sometimes. I dab a little on my finger and then run along the tips of my hair when its drying and it smells soooo nice.

ummyahya
August 29th, 2014, 09:28 AM
I just purchased lavender and jasmine oils

I use jasmine oil as well; I bought it a long time ago and the smell is still incredible!
I can smell jasmine for up to three days after I put just a couple of drops on my hair!

NightOwl26
August 29th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I want that black Phoenix stuff now too. Old thread! I still use my viva la juicy too as I've grown out of using all natural stuff.