PDA

View Full Version : Split Ends and Hair Growth?

summerstarlet
September 14th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Hi all,
I just got my hair cut today and took off 4 inches :wail: but that's okay since I told her too. I hadn't cut my hair in close to a year but the ends were just too dry and damaged. I've tried for the last 4 months to prevent split ends but there was just nothing I could do. I want to grow my hair half way down my back. Are there any tips you could recommend on hair growth and split end prevention? I prefer not to S&D. Thank you kindly :D

spidermom
September 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Frequent, very small trims - say 1/4 inch every 2-3 months. Increase the time if your ends are holding up well. I had a 7-inch "trim" in March - really bad, destroyed ends from not trimming last year - and I've only had to self-trim once since then. My ends are doing great now.

Be as careful with your hair as you can and wear it up as much as possible. It really protects those ends!

rowie
September 14th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I agree with spidermom. Definitely, be really careful and gentle with your hair at all times if possible. Here are my tips.

1) Let hair air dry after a shower. Avoid blow dryers and any heat styling tools if possible.
2) Try to stretch your washes.
3)If possible, avoid sulfates and cones if you use any hair products.
4) try to incorporate regular EO's into your hair regime, I love coconut oil.
5) When untangling hair use your fingers first before using a comb or bbb. I would definitely take my time and care to do this every night before bed. Make it therapeutic by giving yourself scalp massages after or before untangling hair.

NightOwl26
September 14th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Everything above agreed. I've read a lot about catnip tea treatments for strength and reduction of split ends on this site.
Here's a thread on catnip
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476&page=30
Here's an article on catnip
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118
I haven't tried it myself but definitely plan on trying it.