PDA

View Full Version : Sweat.. And more washes than before :(

longcurlygirl<3
September 14th, 2011, 05:50 PM
So I have started exercising again but now I feel I have to wash my hair more. I get these wierd 'itchies' where it is a spot or two at the back of my head or behind the ears. I tried WO for a day but did not last though for day two. So I CO last night and helped a bit till today. I want to wash til friday after my last exercise session but what can I do to reduce my washing because I can no longer handle 3 days only every other day. :[ help.

CurlyMopTop
September 14th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I've never used it before, but I've read about other people using dry shampoo on their scalp, or baby powder, or cocoa powder. You'd probably have to do a search to find the threads though. Good luck! :)

TrudieCat
September 14th, 2011, 06:47 PM
What about a non-sulfate poo, if you are going for something more gentle? They tend to do a fine job of getting gunk off the scalp. Diluting the shampoo with water will make it even more gentle and likely not too much less effective.

pinchbeck
September 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I second using a sulfate free shampoo. Another idea is to 'scalp wash' where the scalp is washed with shampoo and the length is left untouched. I read about it on LHC and tried it and found it was a little awkward, but if I can perfect the technique it is something I would like to use as part of my hair care routine.

Carolyn
September 14th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Do what you need to do. If you feel better washing your hair every other day or even every day, do it. I've said many times before, I think this stretching washes fad is not all that it's cracked up to be. Each individual needs to take in to consideration how their hair feels in their particular circumstances. If you feel better washing more often you can use a non sulphate shampoo as mentioned in other replies. You don't have to vigorously shampoo your length. I would recommend using shampoo on your scalp and conditioning your length as frequently as you feel you need it.

kidari
September 14th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I don't know how your hair is, it's very different from mine but I wash daily regardless. However, now that I really want to grow long and care about the health of my hair immensely, what I do is alternate between a CO wash with an oil shampoo using coconut oil mixed with an SLS free shampoo. I always wet it thoroughly and apply a small amount and rub it in my hands really well to generate lather and then wash my scalp only, letting the rinse cleanse the length (some people dilute gentle shampoos as well). I lightly oil from midshaft to the ends daily and everything else I do is good so I don't sweat it. The way I see it, exercise is more important to me than super long hair so if that means I'm stuck at the length I'm at now I'll take it. Everyone is different, experiment and see what works best for you and what makes the best compromise at the end of the day.

Hotrox
September 14th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I also exercise most week day mornings and need to wash my hair after a session as leaving it results in the itchies and the sweat makes my hair frizz terribly.

I use as SLS free shampoo, clean the scalp only and condition it well then let it air dry. I don't think this has adversely affected my growth. In fact, I think exercise is good for growth and overall well being so it is more important to me than stretching washes.

amyhenna
September 14th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I just went no-poo as of this past Saturday morning (the last time I washed my hair). It's Wednesday evening now. So far so good. I'm going to see how long I can keep going. I got that itchy thing you're talking about at the base of the back of my head, and also behind my ears. I wash with soap behind my ears in the shower, and that seems to take care of those itchies. The ones at the base of my head went away on their own over night. Today was all right. I'm going to keep going without washing.

I'm wondering if it's because I used a no-sulfate shampoo for so long before doing this that my hair is taking to no-poo so well. Maybe Neem (Thera-Neem) wasn't much of a shampoo to begin with? It was watery.

spidermom
September 14th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Sometimes I let the sweat dry in my hair (and scritch with my wooden comb if needed, sometimes I bag my length and wash the scalp or merely rinse the scalp, and sometimes I do the whole CWC. Do what ya gotta do, but mix it up a little.

Charybdis
September 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM
My DH's hair is similar to the OP's, and he CO washes every day, with the occasional shampoo to keep his scalp under control. He has some mechanical damage (at APL with his curly hair fully dried) due to not being patient enough with his detangling, but I don't think the daily CO washing is causing his hair any problems. If it were me, I'd try a daily CO wash (with plenty of scalp massage in the shower using fingertips) and a shampoo/condition once or twice weekly, and see if that doesn't get the itchies under control. Good luck!