PDA

View Full Version : I haven't washed in a week...

buttercupmcgee
September 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM
...and my hair is g-r-o-s-s. But I kind of love it! I'm just puttering around the house this week before my new job starts Monday so I've been showering without washing my hair. I have to say, I am sort of fascinated by it. I love running the boar bristle through and feeling the oil distributing, and I love anticipating the clarifying wash I'm planning on doing tonight.....ahhh dunking it under the water. Not to mention the (hopefully) shiny, lush state of my hair after a week's worth of leaving it alone. Am I nuts or does anyone else secretly delight in this semi-gross ritual? This is probably the longest I've ever gone without a wash before, and aside from having to tie on a bandana to go outside, part of me really digs the experience!

Dr. Girlfriend
September 14th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I switched to CO a while back, so I now wash about every three days or so, more because I hate waiting for my wet hair to dry than anything. When I stretched my washes longer during the time I was CWCing, I have to say that until my hair adjusted I didn't really enjoy the feeling of unwashed hair. However, as my scalp and hair adjusted, I did love how soft and silky it felt thanks to my natural oils.

dementedkitten
September 14th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I totally know what you mean. I've done this a few times and my hair was all the better for it once it was washed!

slz
September 14th, 2011, 04:04 PM
This is probably the longest I've ever gone without a wash before
One week is probably the SHORTEST I've ever gone without a wash in all of my life, and I don't feel it's gross or anything - just a matter of system of reference. You will get used to it :D !

BlazingHeart
September 14th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I typically go a week, and I definitely don't feel gross. It starts feeling a bit greasy and unpleasant if I end up going longer (oh back injuries, how I loathe thee) but it's all what your scalp is used to.

It does take a while to adjust, though - for me it was about a month, but some people need up to 6 months before their scalp stops producing so much oil.

~Blaze

Yame
September 14th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'm a once-a-week washer and I love it. No wasting time in the weekday mornings before work that could be used sleeping a little longer or practicing dance. My showers take only 5-10 minutes, it takes a minute to brush my hair and put it up and then I don't have to think about it for the rest of the day. When I have it up, it doesn't feel gross even if I haven't washed in a while.

Then Saturday arrives and I can treat myself to a long shower and to washing my hair. I love the feeling of clean hair too, hair that I can wear down and show off. But I don't need it everyday, so washing on the weekend and not washing on weekdays is a nice balance!

Madora
September 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM
...and my hair is g-r-o-s-s. But I kind of love it! I'm just puttering around the house this week before my new job starts Monday so I've been showering without washing my hair. I have to say, I am sort of fascinated by it. I love running the boar bristle through and feeling the oil distributing, and I love anticipating the clarifying wash I'm planning on doing tonight.....ahhh dunking it under the water. Not to mention the (hopefully) shiny, lush state of my hair after a week's worth of leaving it alone. Am I nuts or does anyone else secretly delight in this semi-gross ritual? This is probably the longest I've ever gone without a wash before, and aside from having to tie on a bandana to go outside, part of me really digs the experience!

You can feel the oil distributing? That's a new one on me! I've brushed for years and never felt oil being distributed (although I know that's exactly what brushing does).

Chetanlaiho
September 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Haha I kind of enjoy it too ^_^ even the slicked back look of coconut oiled DT hair I can appreciate sometimes xD I know it's gross but, my hair just cooperates a bit better if it's greasy?

When I was younger and wore tight ponytails 24/7 I always felt like just when my hair started to cooperate, I had to wash it again and it was unruly again xD

Shanbot
September 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Definitely starting to delight in it, now that I've been able to really extend the washes! I was an every-other-day girl for years until finding LHC...but its only this last month that its started to really pick up.

Last week I went six days! On day five it was feeling very silky indeed, not super gross, but I felt very self-conscious that people thought it looked greasy. My friend when asked said "Yeah, maybe a little...what, did you not wash this morning?" She thought it was just day 2!

Then I went four days (its just been so darn hot here, I get the sweaties) and got two compliments on my hair this morning. It's seriously improving the shine and healthiness, and the fresh-washed hair was bouncy and happy.

Hurray for routines that are making us redefine our grossness levels!

mathnerd
September 14th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I have found that by day 3 or 4 it starts to look bad for me...That you can tell it hasn't been washed, which makes me paranoid/self-conscious. If I don't have to leave the house for school or something, and it gets past that mark, I find that in addition to the greasy look, I get a VERY itchy scalp. So I usually have to wash twice a week. Oddly enough, in high school, my hair was probably the length it is now, and I washed only once a week and no issues (that I remember).

sun-kissed
September 14th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I love it! I was an every-day girl before LHC, and now I try to go as long as I can before I have to make myself presentable. Which is easy since I homeschool. :D

Right now I'm on day three, and it looks kinda gross because I didn't clarify well enough after going a week without washing, but I just put it up in a dutch lace crown braid to go out, and ended up getting compliments on my hair all day, it's kinda weird. xD

But yeah, I love the feeling of clean, oily hair on my head. :p

lara grace
September 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Ah I love that feeling. I haven't felt it in ages though as my routine has been really messed up from doing all sorts of treatments and oilings. I'm going to try and get back into my twice a week washing routine when I start college. Usually if my hair starts looking greasy before a wash day I use a bit of dry shampoo, doesn't feel great on my scalp though so I try to avoid it.

buttercupmcgee
September 14th, 2011, 05:52 PM
You can feel the oil distributing? That's a new one on me! I've brushed for years and never felt oil being distributed (although I know that's exactly what brushing does).

Well, I can see the sheen down the length once I boar bristle, and the ends feel heavier, so yes, there seems to be a physical result to the brushing!

buttercupmcgee
September 14th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I'm so jealous of those heads of hair that can go longer! My friend has lovely naturally curly red hair and because it's not as oily she can literally go 3 weeks and it just looks slightly flatter than usual. Mine sticks to my scalp and begins to smell like a dinosaur by about day 4!

I'm sitting here now with a fresh head of coconut-smelling hair that feels lighter than air. It's just so SATISFYING :cheer:

Amarante
September 15th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I only wash mine once a week. It doesn't get too oily or smelly, and does wonderfully if I don't put too much EVOO in it. :D

missdelarocha
September 15th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Wow, I'm lucky I'm pretty used to not washing my hair often now (if I don't have to go anywhere, or wear a beanie if I do) because my hair is honestly almost unfixable one day after I wash, you'd think I'd have dry scalp from all the colouring I used to do.

I have a pretty hot head when I sleep so the back of my hair gets really roughened up :(, I need to make a satin/silk pillowcase, or wrap my Winnie the Pooh nighty around it :P, regardless, my hair is short and gets all pieced and oily all over? Definitely not nice and clean.

I often leave it like this for about a week, wash and the same thing happens again and again.

Co wash only works if I SSC'd the day before and after that becomes useless.

Mer, sad face, somebody help!