PDA

View Full Version : T/Gel and hair growth

omgitssarah
September 14th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Just a quick question. I've just found out that I likely have seborrheic dermatitis, and have been using T/Gel daily. Once the dermatitis is under control, I'm going to switch to just using it as needed. My question is, will this have an effect on hair growth? I'm trying to grow out from a pixie, so i need all the length I can get.

Thanks!

georgia_peach
September 14th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I go through phases of using T-Gel for my scalp psoriasis. I have had no problems at all with it slowing my hair growth. However, I highly recommend using a good conditioner afterward as T-Gel is very rough on your hair. (Of course, if you see a doctor, make sure it's okay to use conditioner.) I actually use Neutrogena Triple Conditioner which is nice and thick.

Kosmos
September 14th, 2011, 07:23 PM
My sister uses T-Gel and also suffers from hair loss and thinning of her hair. We've found that adding a bit of tea tree oil to a moisturizing conditioner really helps her with the itchiness and swelling that was causing her to lose her hair (now she uses the T-gel even less!). A daily biotin supplement has helped her regain some thickness.

TealDolphin
September 14th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I use T-Gel and am growing from a pixie also.

headtrip_honey
September 15th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Just a quick question. I've just found out that I likely have seborrheic dermatitis, and have been using T/Gel daily. Once the dermatitis is under control, I'm going to switch to just using it as needed. My question is, will this have an effect on hair growth? I'm trying to grow out from a pixie, so i need all the length I can get.

Thanks!

I can't speak personally to using it, but I would think the seborrheic dermatitis would harm your hair-growing abilities more than the shampoo would.

The scaling, crusting, and generally itchiness of seborrheic dermatitis can wreak havoc on new hairs, so once you've cleared it up and can be more gentle with your washing, I think you'll be fine.

omgitssarah
September 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the responses! Just to clarify, I don't have a bad case of dermatitis, if that's what this is. It's just very flaky and sometimes very itchy. I've had it for a long time (probably about two years, but it's gotten worse in the last year or so), and I haven't noticed any problems with growth so far. Every time I get my hair cut, my hairdresser comments on how long it is.

Looks like I can't skip a day with the T/Gel yet, though. My scalp is very upset with me today.

WinterButterfly
September 15th, 2011, 01:19 PM
My husband tried t gell for his psoriasis. But it turned his scalp all red and made it worse. Now we are teying a twice a week rince made of vinegar honey water and coconut oil. It doesn't seem to get rid of the psoriasis entirely. But it helps with. A good portion of the flakes. And coconut oil is good for the hair. I wish I knew something more effective but still really gentle. He is so frusterated that he wants to shave his head. But his scalp looks really bad and he doesn't want to be embarrassed.

celebriangel
September 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Dilute ACV rinses are good for the scalp. You might be able to skip a t-gel day by using those - and they're great for your hair.

Audrey Horne
September 15th, 2011, 06:08 PM
And use tea tree oil too, it helps with flakes and itchiness. Personally I was always scared of T-gel, so have been using alternatives. Trial and error really.

sunshine-locks
September 15th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I used it as regular shampoo for a few days because we got a sample in the mail, and it was so drying and gave me the worst tangles! also, it smelt horrid, like a car ran over my hair and got freshly made tar in it >.< although it made my scalp feel tingly and nice :P

omgitssarah
September 15th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Oh, I haven't noticed any drying at all! And my hair's too short to tangle. =D I wonder if the T/Gel would be as effective if I diluted it...

I didn't have any luck with using a tea-tree shampoo or adding tea tree oil to a shampoo. Vinegar rinses are nice, but I don't really find that they do anything for my scalp. I do love coconut oil, but again, I haven't noticed a change in my scalp when I use it.

omgitssarah
September 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Diluted it with other shampoo, that is. I can't edit posts yet...

torrilin
September 16th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Why would you dilute it with other shampoo? The reason it is effective for seborrheic dermatitis is because it is a very strong cleanser. SD is caused by a bacterial or fungal infection on your scalp, so you need a strong cleanser to kill the organisms causing the infection.

For psoriasis the coal tar works as a treatment for the itching and flaking, and the higher the dose (usually) the more effective. Again, diluting would not be a good idea, since you're diluting the medication.

If you're just using T-gel as a fragrance-free clarifying shampoo, yes diluting it is fine.

jojo
September 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Natural yoghurt on the scalp (its good for the hair too if you use like a deep conditioner) helps my scalp when I get psoriasis and its all well...natural!

omgitssarah
September 17th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Dilution to make it less harsh and drying, but yeah, didn't realise at the time that it would also dilute the concentration of active ingredient. I need to get more sleep before posting, apparently. xD