PDA

View Full Version : milkmaid braids

snakewitch
September 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I can't find a single video anywhere that properly explains this style to me, or does actual milkmaid braids instead of something that just looks like it.

Help, please? D:

Madora
September 14th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Milkmaid braids are the same idea as Heidi braids..i.e. Braids that wind around your head.

Torrin Paige probably has a tutorial on You Tube.

lapispimpernel
September 14th, 2011, 02:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ej1nRfcak

Is that video what you're thinking of?

There's a picture in an old thread of someone who crossed the braids in back to deal with the extra length. I'll see if I can find it.

StephanieB
September 14th, 2011, 02:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ej1nRfcak
Isn't that the same thing as Elizabethan hair taping? ..... the only difference being that hair taping uses ribbon, rather than a fabric strip - but what is ribbon, really, other than a fabric strip?

StephanieB
September 14th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Milkmaid braids are the same idea as Heidi braids..i.e. Braids that wind around your head.

Torrin Paige probably has a tutorial on You Tube.

Torrin has a video for Elizabethan hair taping - braids that wrap around your head with a ribbon wrapped around them.

lapispimpernel
September 14th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Isn't that the same thing as Elizabethan hair taping?

:confused: Oh, there's ribbon. That's what I get for not watching all the way to the end! Nope, these are milkmaid braids- the style is anchored with pins. I think the ribbon is just a fancy extra.

But, oh, taping. I wish there was someone to do taping on meeee..

Bluegrass Babe
September 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM
This is one I had bookmarked. She gives step by step instructions with pictures.
It is on her blog A Beautiful Mess (http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/03/how-to-style-maiden-braids-.html)

spidermom
September 16th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I've seen that Bluegrass Babe; she makes the style look so elegant.

I have Heidi braids in my "tames the web" album; 2 variations. I call the one where I cross at the back first a tiara braid because it's so much smaller - more like an accent - than if I bring the braids up and cross at the top first. I really have a hard time with the pins slipping and pulling, though, so I rarely wear this style.

My grandma pretty much lived this style.

darklion
September 17th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I've worn the style that Bluegrass Babe linked to.
the page is very clear and it's a fun half up hairstyle for me.

Bluegrass Babe
September 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM
That's how I wore mine too, spidermom. Minus the fringe. Mine did look like a tiara because I used tiny claw clips across the top. I was afraid the pins would slip out because there is no twist and braids are a lot thinner than a bun.

I should have thought to take a picture of my best one before I went to mow the lawn in it.

darklion, I was just watching tv with hubby and he commented on Zooey Deschanel looking cute as a button in her cotton/fabric of our lives commercial and she was wearing her milkmaid braids in a half up! It was really cute.

I'm trying the half up tomorrow! With pins this time, I want my braids to be the focus of the style.
:cheese: