PDA

View Full Version : How do you know...

GabrielleRose
September 14th, 2011, 12:45 PM
How do you know if your hair needs protein or moisture or maybe a combo of both?

I'm wondering, because lately my hair hasn't been feeling as soft as it usually is. It has a lot of frizz but that's probably from the weather here in Texas, and my ends seem to feel dry.

I don't know what to do! I don't color my hair or heat style so please any advice will help.

Or maybe it's build up, because my hair started feeling like this ever since I used the Redken blonde glam.

HairFaerie
September 14th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Try starting with a clarifying shampoo/conditioner/treatment to get rid of any build up.

Then you can try an SMT. I add coconut milk (I put it in the refrigerator first so it solidifies and is easier to work with) to give the treatment protein.

It doesn't hurt to try both moisture and protein after clarifying, in my opinion.

Good luck! Let us know the results!

MissAlida
September 14th, 2011, 12:50 PM
When I can't decide what it needs, I just do a joghurt DT. Just put 3-4 tbs of yoghurt on dry hair, cover it with shower cap and towel, leave it on for a couple of hours, then wash it out. It works wonders for me. I also oil with EVOO the night before washing , but not when I plan to do a yoghurt treatment. It soaks in better if your hair is not very greasy/oily. I hope this helps. You can add stuff to yoghurt: honey, oils, avocado, bananas, watermelon juice, or whatever you'd like.:)

GabrielleRose
September 14th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Try starting with a clarifying shampoo/conditioner/treatment to get rid of any build up.

Then you can try an SMT. I add coconut milk (I put it in the refrigerator first so it solidifies and is easier to work with) to give the treatment protein.

It doesn't hurt to try both moisture and protein after clarifying, in my opinion.

Good luck! Let us know the results!

I will definitely try this tonight! I'm thinking of using the Sally Ion products because I have the deep masque for moisture and I have the neutrogena clarifying shampoo.

Do you or anyone else have the link for the SMT recipe?

How can you do both a moisture and protein treatment?

GabrielleRose
September 14th, 2011, 12:55 PM
When I can't decide what it needs, I just do a joghurt DT. Just put 3-4 tbs of yoghurt on dry hair, cover it with shower cap and towel, leave it on for a couple of hours, then wash it out. It works wonders for me. I also oil with EVOO the night before washing , but not when I plan to do a yoghurt treatment. It soaks in better if your hair is not very greasy/oily. I hope this helps. You can add stuff to yoghurt: honey, oils, avocado, bananas, watermelon juice, or whatever you'd like.:)

Thank you. :) What kind of yogurt do you use?

HairFaerie
September 14th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Here is the link to the SMT thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

I use different variations of that recipe and I add a protein (usually in the form of the solid coconut milk) and I have had amazing results!

HairFaerie
September 14th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Side note: The recipe calls for aloe vera gel. I use the 100% pure aloe vera gel available at health food stores or in the health food section at grocery stores. It can be used intenally too and must be refrigerated after opening. Be careful buying other aloe vera gel because they can contain other ingredients not good for hair! Definitely stay away from the kind sold for sunburns.

Anje
September 14th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Here (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html) is what I think is one of the better articles ever on assessing protein/moisture balance.

I recommend starting with clarified hair, though. Might as well not have buildup complicating things.

luxepiggy
September 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I found Kirin's article on hair diagnosis (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) to be very helpful with figuring out what my hair needed when I first joined LHC (^(oo)^)v

Lostsoule77
September 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I was going to direct you to Kirin's article so I second trying that. It should help you figure out exactly what your problem is and it even gives you the solution. Good luck!

GabrielleRose
September 18th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Here is the link to the SMT thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

I use different variations of that recipe and I add a protein (usually in the form of the solid coconut milk) and I have had amazing results!

Thank you so much for the SMT thread, I can't wait to whip up a batch!

Where do you get your solid coconut milk?

Side note: The recipe calls for aloe vera gel. I use the 100% pure aloe vera gel available at health food stores or in the health food section at grocery stores. It can be used intenally too and must be refrigerated after opening. Be careful buying other aloe vera gel because they can contain other ingredients not good for hair! Definitely stay away from the kind sold for sunburns.

Thank you for clearing that up, because I have some aloe vera gel by JASON but it is not 100%.

Here (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html) is what I think is one of the better articles ever on assessing protein/moisture balance.

I recommend starting with clarified hair, though. Might as well not have buildup complicating things.

Thank you very much for the article! ;) I am just about to read it.

I will most definitely start of with clarified hair.

GabrielleRose
September 18th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I found Kirin's article on hair diagnosis (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) to be very helpful with figuring out what my hair needed when I first joined LHC (^(oo)^)v

Thank you so much for the article! It sure is helpful. I'm really dreaded the tangles I'll get from the clarifying only and letting it dry but at least I'll know what the heck is going on with my hair lol!

I was going to direct you to Kirin's article so I second trying that. It should help you figure out exactly what your problem is and it even gives you the solution. Good luck!

Thank you, and I hope all goes well and my hair will stop feeling kind of funny.

hs_atreides
September 19th, 2011, 07:51 PM
THanks for posting that article! I am also clarifying and air drying to see what my hair is doing on it's own!

And if it helps, I find virgin coconut at Whole Foods and a local market that carries similar items. My jar was $8-9, bought it in March and I am only just half way through it (although I am still in the shag stage). GOod luck! :)