View Full Version : Does your family have to have long hair for you to?

isabelx
September 14th, 2011, 10:21 AM
So I know genes play a role in how long you can grow your hair, but does anyone know to what extent?

Thinking about it not one of my female relatives have hair past their shoulders, and have never done all their lives.

Do this mean I'm also doomed for short hair? I know other things influence how long you can grow it, diet, how well you look after it etc. But what percentage do you think is genes?

Chromis
September 14th, 2011, 10:23 AM
If they are all cutting their hair, you have no idea how long they *can* grow it. It will just be a surprise! You might still be able to look in old family photos at past relatives to get an idea, but really most people can easily grow past shoulder length.

StephanieB
September 14th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Most people's genes allow for waist to tailbone length hair, given proper hair care.

The really seriously longer lengths require special genetics.

isabelx
September 14th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Lets say they've all never had it cut in their lives, is it actually possible to have terminal at shoulders? :bigeyes:

Madora
September 14th, 2011, 10:30 AM
So I know genes play a role in how long you can grow your hair, but does anyone know to what extent?

Thinking about it not one of my female relatives have hair past their shoulders, and have never done all their lives.

Do this mean I'm also doomed for short hair? I know other things influence how long you can grow it, diet, how well you look after it etc. But what percentage do you think is genes?

Genes are the ruling factor for ability to grow long hair..or not. Also for thickness (or lack thereof). Taking care of your hair properly plays a huge part too..but genes are all important.

Buffy
September 14th, 2011, 10:31 AM
When we say that your hair is based on your genes, we mean THE TYPE of your hair! If your family generally has thick, healthy, strong hair , you are most likely to.

So IF you have thick and naturally healthy and not fragile hair, then you have MORE CHANCES of it getting long easily , without constant split-ends treaming delaying the growing process!

You know there is that kind of people that don't take care of their hair at all, but still their hair is long and healthy. Others have to work for it! But nothing is impossible!

The fact that your female family members have short hair is their DECISION! They cut it....therefor.....it's short!

So to sum up don't look at your family's hair length, look at the Quality of the hair!

But EVEN if your family doesn't have particularly strong and healthy hair, it DOESN'T mean that you are doomed! If you take good care of it, of course you can have long and healthy hair, unless you are an extreme case of over the top fine and fragile hair!.

Unless of course we are talking about really really REALLY long hair., like down to your knees.....then i don't know, this might be 100% based on genetics.

I've said hair 100 times lol!!

Chromis
September 14th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Lets say they've all never had it cut in their lives, is it actually possible to have terminal at shoulders? :bigeyes:

Nearly anything is possible, but it is highly unlikely.

More likely if it will not grow past that point is that they have a "false terminal" from damage. Hair varies in its ability to take the stresses of things like bleaching, perms, straightening, etc and can simply break off from damage. Treat it nicely and it grows fine normally.

Anje
September 14th, 2011, 10:41 AM
My mom claims hers won't grow past her shoulders. I have no idea how long my father's would or wouldn't grow, but he doesn't have much anymore. Mine's at mid-butt, so it definitely grows! I don't know if it'll get much longer, but we'll see.....

Yame
September 14th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Your family members probably have short hair because they cut their hair short. That's it.
Unless you are telling me they ALL are trying to grow their hair and it won't grow past a certain length, you can't make assumptions on what that means for you.
Their hair length (unless they are trying to grow their hair) has about as much effect on your genes as the clothes they wear: none.

StephanieB
September 14th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Possible... yes. Anything's possible, given all possible genetic permutations.

It's not very likely, however.

Asking if something is genetically possible is pretty useless, because the answer is "yes, anything is possible". The big question is how likely. The answer to your question is that it's not very likely.

PianoPlaye
September 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM

Do this mean I'm also doomed for short hair?

Only if you share the family fascination with shears. Which, since you're posting here, seems less less likely. Give yourself & your hair a chance! :D

isabelx
September 14th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks everyone :) Knowing my luck though I bet I won't get another inch of length! :brickwall:

StephanieB
September 14th, 2011, 11:59 AM
You might be right. I hear banging your head on a brick wall is bad for hair follicles ... ergo bad for hair growth. lol ;)

StephanieB
September 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM
You might be right. I hear banging your head on a brick wall is bad for hair follicles ... ergo bad for hair growth. lol ;)
And some say that negativity is bad for hair growth, as well. Try telling yourself that your hair is going to grow, and you may be pleasantly surprised!

isabelx
September 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Lol! Positive thinking from now on it is then, all I want is a few inches past my shoulders! :joy:

Chetanlaiho
September 14th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I have yet to find a picture of anyone in my family with longer hair (though my sister had long hair when she was young, but that was nearly two decades ago) and my hair is plus waistlength now =)

My mom has, pretty much a pixie actually, just a little less stylish xD

StephanieB
September 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Lol! Positive thinking from now on it is then, all I want is a few inches past my shoulders! :joy:
So... by May 1st, you ought to have your wish, or be close to it - if you take proper care of your hair starting NOW! :cheer:

teal
September 14th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Good thoughts, good fitness, good nutrition, good haircare and handling, good genes! Are you taking a multivitamin?

StephanieB
September 14th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Are you taking MSM as well as a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement?

ilovelonghair
September 14th, 2011, 02:29 PM
My mother and grandmother claimed their hair wouldn't grow past their shoulders, I guess with my grandmother it might have been true, but my mother did tease it a lot: beehives etc. But before and after the beehives it didn't grow long either. She was only able to grow it longer in her mid 30's.

I'm the only person with long hair in my family, the rest cuts it, I have a cousin with hair that is a tiny bit past shoulder, but she bleaches it so it could grow a bit longer if not bleached. But she has very very thin hair and it's also fine in structure, so I don't think it could grow much more. Of the male side, no one has/had long hair so I don't know.

But genetically you can alsways be the odd lucky one :)

isabelx
September 15th, 2011, 01:28 AM
I thinking of purchasing Biotin or Vitamin-B tablets, would it be recommended for me to start taking MSM?

IanB
September 15th, 2011, 01:43 AM
No, I don't think it is necessary for other family members to have long hair, but maybe genes have some effect for some people in later life, so perhaps it's a bit of lottery. But almost everyone should be able to enjoy long hair for many years.

scotty810
September 15th, 2011, 02:19 AM
with the exception of my sister and 1 cousin who have hair to about bsl level all other females in my extended fmaily have short or shoulder length at most.

kind of disappointing, things like braids/any type of long hair style is non-existant,

at the rate i'm going i'll have the longest hair :o

Libbylou
September 15th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I remember my great grandmother having very long hair, she always used to wear it braided and put up. All the other women always had short hair, shoulder length at the most. I grew my hair as a teenager and before I had it cut it was tail bone length. I remember no special care was taken, used prell or breck shampoo and back then there was little in ways of conditioner, I think we call it cream rinse. I'm a baby boomer by the way.

StephanieB
September 15th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I thinking of purchasing Biotin or Vitamin-B tablets, would it be recommended for me to start taking MSM?
Your Once-daily Multi-Vitamin/Mineral tablet should contain Vitamin B. You don't need more, and the B vitamins are among those you don't want to overdose on... nasty side effects.

Biotin is good. So is MSM. And Glucosamine/Chondroitin.

But don't start everything all at once; if you do and then have a problem, you won't know which caused your problem.
Start of first with your Once Daily. Use it for two weeks.
Then add one other supplement - whichever. Use that for three weeks.
Add a third supplement. Use that for three weeks.
Et cetera.

Also, if you increase your dosage on a supplement that you're already taking, wait and take the new dose for two or three weeks before making any other changes (adding or upping dosages on anything else).

celebriangel
September 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Your Once-daily Multi-Vitamin/Mineral tablet should contain Vitamin B. You don't need more, and the B vitamins are among those you don't want to overdose on... nasty side effects.

But don't start everything all at once; if you do and then have a problem, you won't know which caused your problem.
Et cetera.

Also, if you increase your dosage on a supplement that you're already taking, wait and take the new dose for two or three weeks before making any other changes (adding or upping dosages on anything else).

Is glucosamin/chondroitin good for your hair?

isabelx
September 15th, 2011, 03:48 PM

Et cetera.

Thanks! definitely be taking a trip to the nearest health store soon then.

Mesmerise
September 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Well I don't have a big family, but my grandmothers always had short hair as did my mum. I did see pics of my mum with SL+ hair back in the early 70s and was like :bigeyes: because all my life she had short hair!

So what does that mean? Nothing! It means...they all just cut their hair. My sister has shorter hair than me, but she's had it reasonably long. I've never had super long hair (longest was waist), but that's because of my own stupidity and impatience :rolleyes:.

Also, genetics play a PART, but if you look at all the hair of your female relatives you'll probably see differences. My DDs hair is very different to mine. Well, that's probably not quite true... I'll just say, she has twice as many hairs on her head than I do, and her hair's finer! Where did she get that hair from?? I have NO IDEA. When she was 3 years old, at an age when most little girls have quite thin hair, she had a big, fat braid that I could never hope to aspire to!!! And that's with super fine hair too... so yeah... lots of follicles! I have one son with very thin hair, and another with thick but coarser hair (probably medium rather than coarse, but not as fine as his siblings' hair).

So yeah, even if you have a relative whose hair won't grow past SL, doesn't actually have any bearing on how long yours could grow unless you have EXACTLY the same hairtype.

I do worry that my terminal length will be shorter than I want, but really I'm only going to find out by persevering with my hair growth!

spidermom
September 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
No - I don't think other people's hair is a predictor either way. There are so many factors!
You will find out how long your hair will grow by growing it. Have fun!

Ligeia_13
September 15th, 2011, 04:29 PM
So yeah, even if you have a relative whose hair won't grow past SL, doesn't actually have any bearing on how long yours could grow unless you have EXACTLY the same hairtype.

This is what I was going to say :) I have personal experience in the matter, seeing as my mother's hair just won't grow longer that shoulder. Its just so thin and baby fine and gets all whispy at the ends.

That being said, my terminal length is nowhere near there because I haven't inherited her hair type. I have something inbetween I guess, cause my dad's was black and like wire. So no worries, otherwise you might stall your growth from negativity :D

supbanana
September 15th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I'm the first person in my family in four generations to have my hair past my waist, that I know of. Everyone else cuts their hair short for either style or for making hair care easier. I have an aunt that's nearly waist, but somewhat thinner than mine. So, like most people are saying, you won't know until you try!

neko_kawaii
September 15th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I was just talking to my mother about the old lady long hair taboo and she said that the reason her mother kept her hair long was because my aunt could not grow her hair long and lived vicariously through my grandmother's hair. My aunt's hair is probably shoulder length when wet, and I know she doesn't mistreat it. So, it is possible, but having someone in your family who cannot grow long hair doesn't mean you can't. My mother, grandmother and I all have waist length hair. Try it! It might work for you!

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 15th, 2011, 11:40 PM
My Grandmother all my life, had short hair. And i mean, like very short, pixie type hair cut and so did my great grandmother.
Then one day after she died, i was in her apartment being nosy, and I found a photo of my grandmother in the pool with my mother and grandad, when my mother was a baby, so in the 60's, with her hair as long as tailbone length, maybe even longer. But her hair was LONG. And so i ran to my mom and asked "Is this grandma?!" Because i was so shocked by her hair length, I knew it was her but i just didnt believe my eyes. She said yes, and that gave me hope that I too could grow my hair long too. Because i used to think like you do, "My grandma and mom have short hair so maybe that means ill never be able to grow my hair long and itll be short forever." When in reality, they cut their hair that short on purpose. right now, my mothers hair is bra strap length after a year of growing, and my grandmothers was long in the 60s, so yeah! Thats my story :P

Chromis
September 16th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Another reason for people to have what appears to be a false terminal length is that sometimes they have a trimming schedule that basically takes off all of their new growth! I know there are people in my family who think you "should" go in for a trim every so much often. It is always stated as "a trim" too, not as a specific length and most stylists seem to take a couple of inches off if you just ask for a trim. For most people, that is a few months growth! This is fine if you are happy at that length, but can make people think that it as long as they get too.