PDA

View Full Version : Oiling help!

Nia
September 14th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone knows a way to remove some of the oil if you've accidentally applied too much, without rewashing of course...:thud:

any advice gratefully received! :)

SpinDance
September 14th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I find conditioner to be the best way to remove oil. However, if you don't want to get it wet and do the conditioner method you may be able to use corn starch or cocoa powder, depending on your hair color, to help absorb the oil.

Nia
September 14th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I find conditioner to be the best way to remove oil. However, if you don't want to get it wet and do the conditioner method you may be able to use corn starch or cocoa powder, depending on your hair color, to help absorb the oil.

Thank you for that! :) I'd rather not get it wet as it takes a whole day to dry and I washed it yesterday. About the cocoa powder, do you know how much to use and how it's best applied?

SpinDance
September 14th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I used it to help stretch washes, so really only needed it on my scalp. I've not done the cocoa powder, yet, but when I used corn starch I just put a bit in a little bowl and dip the tips of my fingers in it. Then I daub the powder through the hair onto my scalp. It takes a few minutes to get it worked in, and I needed to carefully comb it to let any loose powder fall out into the sink, but it worked. Work on one section at a time. Depending on how much oil you have on it you may need to let it sit for a bit to soak the excess oil up before trying to dislodge any extra.

Nia
September 14th, 2011, 10:05 AM
you're a star thank you! I used a bit of cocoa and it did help. also i think some of oil took a while to get absorbed.
Btw I'm in love with your dogs! soooo cute!! :)

SpinDance
September 14th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Oh good, I'm so glad it helped. You can do it again later, of course, if need be. Thanks about the dogs, I sure love them!

Medievalmaniac
September 14th, 2011, 11:23 AM
you can also use baby powder for this - it just takes a little bit, about a teaspoon or two - apply it, shake your head upside down and sort of schluff it through with your fingers, and comb or brush to distribute evenly.

Nia
September 15th, 2011, 01:27 PM
you can also use baby powder for this - it just takes a little bit, about a teaspoon or two - apply it, shake your head upside down and sort of schluff it through with your fingers, and comb or brush to distribute evenly.

Thank you. I'm just wondering though, my hair is dark dark brown... wouldn't babypowder or cornstarch leave white specks of residue in my hair?

BlazingHeart
September 15th, 2011, 02:09 PM
If it's really oily, you can use paper towels to get some of it. Tissue paper (as in wrapping tissue rather than nose-blowing tissue) also works well. Same idea as the blotting papers people use for oil on their face.

~Blaze

SpinDance
September 16th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Nia, I haven't tried baby powder, but the cornstarch did lighten a bit. Since I'm going grey already, this actually worked quite nicely for me, better I think than cocoa would have done. You might be able to find face powder for people with darker skin that might work OK for you, too.

Nia
September 16th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Hiya,
I used kitchen roll to try to blot out most of the excess. left it a while for the hair to absorb what it could. Then i used the cocoa... in the end I kind of recued it! That'll teach me for being over zealous with the coconut oil!!!
Thanks both for your help though :)