PDA

View Full Version : I saw a haircare product in AVON magazine that claims...

Sissy
September 14th, 2011, 05:45 AM
to repair years of hair damage with just a few uses. It said... "Avon Advance Techniques Intense Hair Repair 3 days years of damage"

Does anyone know anything about this product? If it works? What it's ingredients are?

I'm interested :p

Thanks so much!!!

Hypnotica
September 14th, 2011, 06:08 AM
to repair years of hair damage with just a few uses. It said... "Avon Advance Techniques Intense Hair Repair 3 days years of damage"

Does anyone know anything about this product? If it works? What it's ingredients are?

I'm interested :p

Thanks so much!!!

There is several products in this series, but nothing does actually repairs hair "for real". I expect them to be rather coney.

MeganE
September 14th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Yep, I saw that too and it looked like bull to me. It said it repairs the cuticle, and showed pictures of damaged hair without a good cuticle and then healthy hair with a good cuticle. The way I understand it, the cuticle of your hair is like lots of little scales that cover the shaft, and damaged hair loses those scales.

How could anything possibly repair that? It's probably just chock-full of cones, like Hypnotica said.

Mairéad
September 14th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Right, a lot of these "miracle" products are really just so full of cones that your damaged bits will get kind of glued together so you can't see them. If you're a cone head, I can imagine that it may prevent the split from traveling further upward, but repairing them.--naaaaaah.

pepperminttea
September 14th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Distrust any product that says it can "repair" or "heal" damaged hair. Good products can make damaged hair easier to work with, and hide the damage, but not a single one can actually repair it.

julierockhead
September 14th, 2011, 07:12 AM
:bs:

Stuff that seems too good to be true IS too good to be true. Believe me, if there was a product that could actually "repair damage" it would be all over this forum like flies on :poop: .

Sookie
September 14th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I agree with the above too. Also i don't like Avon products.

ktani
September 14th, 2011, 08:37 AM
The treatment ingredients are here
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/331162/Avon_ADVANCE_TECHNIQUES_Intense_Repair_Damage_Repa ir_Treatment/

"WATER/EAU, POLYQUATERNIUM-28, DIMETHICONOL, PANTHENOL, PVM/MA COPOLYMER, LAMINARIA DIGITATA EXTRACT, PELVETIA CANALICULATA EXTRACT, PHOSPHOLIPIDS, SPHINGOLIPIDS, PHYTANTRIOL, CYAMOPSIS TETRAGONOLOBA (GUAR) GUM, PARFUM/FRAGRANCE, XANTHAN GUM, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PHOSPHORIC ACID, CREATINE, LECITHIN, IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE"

Only one cone but it is polymer based and the pvm ingredient and the gum will build-up.

Nothing can repair damaged hair. A temporary "fix" is the best products can do.

PianoPlaye
September 14th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Sorry, but so much snake oil.
"Repair" doesn't happen. Regrowth eventually does.
Zanthan gum is used in chewy sweeties & I do not want that on my hair. Even if it looked wonderful. It's a short term wow for a long term drat.

Yame
September 14th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I don't believe in ads.

Syrena
September 14th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I don´t believe it at all. NOTHING can repair damaged hair!

gazelle
September 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM
It is a marketting tactic in my opinion. If included keratin or something forms the hair, I would have beileved it to some extent

StephanieB
September 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
What it's ingredients are?
Avon should give you the ingredients list upon request. If you're American, it's the law.

My bet is that it's full of 'cones to make your hair look better in the short-term. Because nothing really repairs damaged hair cuticle. That kind of damage, once done, is permanent.

gazelle
September 14th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Sorry, it includes creatine I did not see. Is it the same as ceratin I don't know. But I still think that it is for marketting, no product can completely recover the damage

StephanieB
September 14th, 2011, 01:27 PM
The treatment ingredients are here
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/331162/Avon_ADVANCE_TECHNIQUES_Intense_Repair_Damage_Repa ir_Treatment/

"WATER/EAU, POLYQUATERNIUM-28, DIMETHICONOL, PANTHENOL, PVM/MA COPOLYMER, LAMINARIA DIGITATA EXTRACT, PELVETIA CANALICULATA EXTRACT, PHOSPHOLIPIDS, SPHINGOLIPIDS, PHYTANTRIOL, CYAMOPSIS TETRAGONOLOBA (GUAR) GUM, PARFUM/FRAGRANCE, XANTHAN GUM, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PHOSPHORIC ACID, CREATINE, LECITHIN, IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE"

Only one cone but it is polymer based and the pvm ingredient and the gum will build-up.

Nothing can repair damaged hair. A temporary "fix" is the best products can do.
A-yup. As I figured.

Thumbs up to ktani. (once again)

DrkAngel
October 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM
:bs:

Stuff that seems too good to be true IS too good to be true. Believe me, if there was a product that could actually "repair damage" it would be all over this forum like flies on :poop: .

:rollin:

good answer.

CavySong
October 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Kudos, Ktani. I spend way too much time hunting for ingredient listings. Is there a place on the web that has a good list of products and what's in them? I love some of the little sample things that my DH brings home when he travels and the increasing number of times that I go with:inlove: now that DS is in high school and old enough to survive without me for a few days.

Particularly nice are the White Tea Aloe products from Westin and the ProTerra Marine products that I think come from Spring Hill Suites. All I could find about the ProTerra stuff is that the folks that make them claim to use all natural ingredients and are a WEE bit obsessive about their packaging.

Any one use these and/or know where to find the ingredient lists?

ktani
October 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Kudos, Ktani. I spend way too much time hunting for ingredient listings. Is there a place on the web that has a good list of products and what's in them? I love some of the little sample things that my DH brings home when he travels and the increasing number of times that I go with:inlove: now that DS is in high school and old enough to survive without me for a few days.

Particularly nice are the White Tea Aloe products from Westin and the ProTerra Marine products that I think come from Spring Hill Suites. All I could find about the ProTerra stuff is that the folks that make them claim to use all natural ingredients and are a WEE bit obsessive about their packaging.

Any one use these and/or know where to find the ingredient lists?

Thanks. For ingredients lists it is a hunt and can be both time consuming and difficult. Sometimes hair forums similar to this one will have posts like here, where someone has taken the time to type them out and post them.

Different websites have ingredient breakdowns like cosmeticsinfo.org, which I have posted. Other sources are just hunting for the ingredient by name and you will often get synonyms. Information can often be found under those.

I posted this website "ages" ago, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30146

MrsGuther
October 27th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I don't think any hair product can actually repair hair once it's been damaged. That's not to say that this hair product won't make your hair FEEL better at least temporarily though. I say give it a try. I like Dove Intensive Repair conditioner. I know it doesn't actually "repair damage" but it makes my hair feel soft and healthy, so I figure why not use it. I know it's full of cones, but my hair loves cones and I do an occassional clarifying shampoo. :)

Anje
October 27th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Right, a lot of these "miracle" products are really just so full of cones that your damaged bits will get kind of glued together so you can't see them. If you're a cone head, I can imagine that it may prevent the split from traveling further upward, but repairing them.--naaaaaah.
One potential additional benefit: If your hair likes silicones and all those other smoothing agents (mine typically does not), using them on damaged hair should prevent the damaged sections from snagging the undamaged parts, helping to prevent more damage. I won't completely knock the products for those trying to grow out damage who don't want to hack it all off, but healing is something one can only expect living tissues to accomplish.

RitaPG
October 27th, 2011, 12:54 PM
When my hair was colored and very dry, I used two types of conditioners; one with protein (Elvive Repair5 mask, or Elvive nutri-Gloss with Protein) and one with oils (Garnier Naturals coconut oil and cocoa butter, or Garnier Fructis oil Repair)
For me, these did better things than any other "restorative", coney product. And none of them was too expensive, just regular drugstore conditioners ^^

Don't believe something just because magazines or tv ads claim that they do miracles, it is far more effective to pay attention to the ingredients and check whether they are nourishing or just filled with cones and wax. This website might help a bit http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products I used it all the time when looking for something new, hope it helps you too :]

CavySong
October 27th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Grateful for all the interesting links and thanks as well for the curly info. All of my kids have some degree of wave or curl. Then my daughter found this amazing man to marry 4 years ago. I can't wait for the grandkids, since they will likely have curly or even :afro: hair like their paternal granddad and aunt.:D

snowfaery
October 30th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I was given the entire Advance Techniques Damage Repair lineup including the 3d rescue treatment. It smells good but I know that it is a temporary measure to make my hair look good for a day. While I was sick and unable to do any of the more time intensive ways to work on my hair I was using it almost every day. My hair was shiny and liked the cones until the last 3 days. It is just a temporary solution though.

Amber_Maiden
October 30th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I doubt it works. Nothing can "repair" damage like that... Maybe it can make it look shiny, and make the hair shaft look plump for a while... but not forever and it sure can't FIX it!