PDA

View Full Version : Any Other Daily Hair Washers?

LuciousLox
September 14th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Will my habit of daily hair washing, (shampooing and conditioning,)
hold me back from growing long hair?:confused:

I see a lot of posts, about reducing the amount you wash your hair... conditioner-only washes... apple cider vinegar rinses... etc.

But has anyone had success growing their hair long, and
washed their hair daily in the process?

About me:
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................
Current length:
Just below shoulder length

Goal Length:
Tail bone

Products I use:
Rusk "Healthy" Shampoo and Conditioner
Morrocan Oil leave-in treatment

Drying method:
Air dry

Hair texture:
Very thick, but baby fine.
Feels very heavy and greasy after one day. Must wash daily...

ladyfey
September 14th, 2011, 01:24 AM
You should do just fine. I washed my hair every day until this year, now I wash every other day and my hair is knee length. I see that you air dry, so that's great! My hair just finally calmed down with the oiliness now that I'm older, so I was able to switch to every other day washes but my hair did fine with every day. So don't worry! :)

Lilli
September 14th, 2011, 07:05 AM
There are lots. Just don't blow it dry or flatiron it every day.

Hairizona
September 14th, 2011, 08:13 AM
The first time I grew my hair out to just 3 inches shy of knee length, I washed daily, and blew dry the scalp area only. I had no problems growing it to that length. This time around, I switched to every other day, but during the summer washed daily d/t heat and humidity ( no blow dry in summer). I do not see any issues with it at this time either

heartgoesboom
September 14th, 2011, 08:17 AM
my hair is color treated now so i take care of it lol but when i had virgin hair, i shampooed twice, conditioner then even blow dry it every other day (since some days i put it up) and my hair was always in between waist and hip and healthy. gosh, i miss those days.

Buffy
September 14th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Well if you don't use heat or any chemical process , you condition every day and you overall have already healthy hair, i think you should be fine! :cheer:

But do you think there's NO way for you to at least make it every OTHER day? If you are patient for a few weeks, your scalp will adjust to the new washing routine and won't produce so much oil! Take it from me who had the most greasy hair ever,and it was unthinkable to not wash it everyday! But now i i can get away without washing my hair for 2 days easily!

Think of it this way: When you wash your hair everyday, your scalp thinks (lol) : "hey i'm drying out from the every day wash, so i should be producing my oil quickly to compensate for it" :wigtongue:wigtongue

The second day you can put it in a ponytail or make a nice braid or bun! Believe me, if you do that nobody will know it is greasy!

Gilly
September 14th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I wash daily, trust me I have tried the stretch your washes out routine but my hair obviously has not read the part that says "your scalp will adjust to the new washing routine and won't produce so much oil" I have been trying most of my adult life and all I end up with is greasy sulky hair and a scalp that itches:mad:Do what YOU want with your hair, if it and you are happy with daily washing why change????? Its NOT compulsory!:rolleyes:

okiesarah
September 14th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Back a long time ago (before I knew how to really care for my hair) I washed daily and had tailbone hair. I've cut out the sulfates for a while now and if I'm very lucky I can stretch a day. Of course, halfway through day 2 my hair starts looking real bad. And I don't have a color that you can really hide the grease with by just pulling it back. The most success I've had at being ok with day 2 hair, before bed I sponge rolled the front section up and away from my scalp, and the next morning did a little twisty roll on each side so it was still poofy and away from my scalp. I just believe some people are too oily to stretch for long no matter what they do. You may be one of those people. I'm 98% certain until I get older and start producing less oil I will never be able to stretch past day 2.

Sakuracha
September 14th, 2011, 04:06 PM
The first time I had tailbone length hair, years ago, I washed it everyday doing the no-no piling hair on top of my head. In spite of me not caring for it properly it still grew long and thick and mostly healthy. Hair can grow long even without proper care depending on the person.

Now, I'm trying to break my everyday washing habit and no longer pile my hair to wash it. I'm also trying to change my hair habits all around to healthier ones after my hair looking dry and dead last summer.

dulce
September 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I NEED to wash daily-my hair likes it better and I'm 59 and have waist length and still growing hair ,and no it hasn't hurt me.

Lianna
September 14th, 2011, 05:41 PM
My hair isn't long but I've always been a daily washer, and always will be. I doubt this alone prevents someone from achieving long hair. If that was the case for me, having itchy, sweaty scalp and long hair everyday, I'd pick short-medium hair that can be washed.

Libbylou
September 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I wash every day, only use leave in conditioner about once a week. But, my hair is only collar bone length. I might have to adjust when it gets longer.

meowmeow
September 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM
You'll be fine. I wash everyday and my hair is fine, I'm touching hip length right now. You're more likely to succumb to damage by having your hair rub on things or getting your hair caught on things.

celebriangel
September 14th, 2011, 06:25 PM
If you wish to do daily washes, far be it from me to stop you. I used to.

(I believe that almost everyone's scalp is capable of reducing sebum production, however in my case it took me not washing my hair for 3 months while I had glandular fever and 3 months of biweekly washes for mine to adjust, and I totally appreciate that most people aren't willing to go through that).

I'd think about trying to go for a gentler cleansing method - CO, CWC, diluted shampoo, sulphate-free poo - just because normal, undiluted shampoo is harsh, stripping, and an irritant, and if you can minimise your exposure (in your case, for example, by diluting) then that's all to the good. There's no need to do it by stretching washes, though.

ETA: If you think 30" is your final goal, though, to be honest you don't need to necessarily think about things like this. The really hardcore stuff generally only comes into play if you're aiming for classic or so, unless your hair is very fragile.

Your hairtypes in your siggy and in the sidebar are very contradictory, though. This:

Hair texture:
Very thick, but baby fine.

Would correspond to something like this:

whatever/ F / iii

But you have

1c/ M/C / ii Which is coarse, normal thickness hair. Is this intentional? I'm a bit confuzzled...With fine straight hair, I can totally understand the need to wash more often, as my mum has that type of hair and I've seen how it can look lank after a short time.

TrudieCat
September 14th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I don't have very long hair (yet :)) but I wash most days, simply because I feel like my hair is dirty. I've gone the better part of a week without washing before and the amount of dust that gets brushed out after that amount of time is a little horrifying for me. Also, I'm pretty active so if I sweat I want to wash my hair so it feels clean. Same thing goes for just being outside a bunch around pollen and stuff. And when I lived in a really dirty city, the thought of putting my unwashed hair on the pillow at night after all the crap I'd seen blowing around in the air and all the gross exhaust and grime that I saw settling on windows and in the subway was just... unpleasant. You bet I was washing my hair every evening then.

The point is, my hair still grows and I think you'll be fine. :)

NotInPortland
September 14th, 2011, 06:55 PM
You will probably be fine. I used to wash mine everyday and I grew it to waist no problem but as I'm going for longer hair I've switched to every 2nd day and I usually CO wash so it's not as harsh. I think a lot of it depends really on your hair type-I have fine thinnish hair and the oiliness shows up very quickly on my hair whereas a friend of mine with coarse hair can get away with greasiness a bit longer as the hair doesn't show it as much. I tried stretching washes before as well and it just didn't work, some people just need to wash their hair more often than other and if you need to everyday I don't really see the problem.

TheCaityCat
September 14th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I wash mine everyday with cone/sls-free shampoo and conditioner. I've got abundant but fine hair and it really shows if I don't wash it one day. My hair color and texture make for a very greasy look if I'm lax about it.

Yame
September 14th, 2011, 08:08 PM
For a while I used to wash daily, or almost daily, and I grew my hair to the length that it is now (almost hip length) with that kind of routine. It didn't keep me from growing my hair.

With that said, my hair has been looking and feeling much better since I started stretching washes. I now wash just once a week, and I think my hair has never been healthier.

Ermine
September 14th, 2011, 08:15 PM
You're my (almost) hair twin! I don't see why not. Only setback I can see is damage from the tangling that can result from washing daily. But that can be overcome by using conditioner to detangle your hair while in the shower, and brushing/combing carefully.

For many of us fine hairs, it's a necessity.

SilentGuardian
September 14th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Every day works for me.
I have attempted a few times not washing it, but it looks and feels so greasy if I don't wash it. I cave in and wash it after a few hours.
So, I think I will continue doing my daily washes. I have been growing my hair for a year now, and it's doing just fine.

see_turtle
September 14th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I NEED to wash daily . If I do not wash my hair it is wicked nasty. I always think(in an effort to sleep longer) hmm I'll just skip it...then I regret it so bad by the end of the day (did it today as a matter of fact and yea it's greasy and disgusting but I was so TIRED this morning) My hair looks awful in a bun ,braid or down when its not been washed that day.

...my hair is just above waist and very healthy and shiny and it's growing! I started at a bob in my sig

Tapioca
September 14th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I have dermatitis, and if I don't wash daily, my scalp freaks out. Daily washes (with Head & Shoulders, even!) have worked for me for years, even when my hair was to my hips.

NightOwl26
September 14th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I have to wash daily. I have fine hair and the grease shows too much. Just be extra gentle, and CWC.

I'm glad to hear a lot of long-haired people wash everyday. There's so much talk on stretching washes and that doesn't apply to me!

raishalini11
September 15th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Yup..count me in..but I left shampoo completely due to bad reaction anh hair fall with daily usage.

I oil massage daily and wash hair daily with amla, shikakai and reetha that I make in batches and keep it in freeze, it lasts around 15 days.

I cannot go a day without wash becaause when I used to wash my hair with sls shampoos my scalp used to get oily very next day, though its not the case now but still I dont feel fresh if I skip the wash ..

Aredhel77
September 15th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I condition wash every day and then shampoo maybe once a week. I used to suffer from oily roots on the second day, but not any more (that may just be an age thing...?) Also I just prefer the look and feel of my hair once it's been washed. I very occasionally skip a day at weekends but that's all.

headtrip_honey
September 15th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I also have scalp issues, so I have to wash every day.

Not only am I greasy (like, to the extreme. I look greasy by the end of the first day), but I am itchy and flaky. If I don't wash every day, my scalp gets so irritated that I can't help but itch and pick. I have one of those personalities, unfortunately, that can't stop itching/picking once started. I do more damage to my scalp doing that than the damage I do washing every day.

I use a very gentle, fragrance free, low sulfate shampoo, and wash ONLY my scalp. I just introduced a fragrance free, cone free conditioner, so hopefully I can start using that every day. Every other conditioner I've tried has led to a scalp eruption. (V05's Extra Body Volumizing Conditioner was okay, but after one week of using it my scalp had a major freakout)

It's a little obnoxious, because I used to be able to wash every other day, but with my scalp sensitivity, I just can't do that anymore. My whole body has started rejecting things like fragrance, so I have to be very careful what products I use, and how I use them. ::sigh::

annieangel149
September 15th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I wash everyday with conditioner and i use the shampoo 2-3 times a week! :D my hair seems happy :)

Zesty
September 15th, 2011, 09:07 AM
There's nothing wrong with washing every day. Cinnamon Hair -- whose website brought me to LHC -- has knee-length hair that she washes every day, and it clearly hasn't hurt her. I personally am trying to stretch washes because my hair is quite unhappy when it's wet, and I don't like having wet hair, and since it takes hours to air-dry... the best option for me is to just get it wet less often. But if it weren't for those concerns I wouldn't think twice about daily washing.

woodlandnymph
September 15th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Daily washer here. I've tried to stretch the days, but my scalp and fine hair are happier with a daily wash and air dry [only 30 to 40 minutes]

raishalini11
September 15th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Daily washer here. I've tried to stretch the days, but my scalp and fine hair are happier with a daily wash and air dry [only 30 to 40 minutes]

Wow!! you have lovely hair..I wish to be at that length ..that too pretty soon:D ..no harm in day dreaming I guess:eyebrows:

Lamb
September 15th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Hi, OP. :waving:

You may want to check out this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37847

ETA: I'm not growing my hair to any great lengths, but my scalp is happiest with daily washes, and I doubt my hair length would change that.

LuciousLox
September 19th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your response :) I'm relieved to find I'm not the only daily hair-washer. I was really getting the impression from some of the other posts that the longer you stretched out your hair washing, the better. And I just can't get away with not washing my hair... :) Glad to know this will not effect my progress, as you all have had success being daily hair washers!

Stephanie
September 22nd, 2011, 11:13 PM
Just wanted to pipe up and say that I shampoo daily to every other day. I've done every sort of washing/rinsing method on these forums and I still enjoy my daily suds the most.

Safira
September 23rd, 2011, 02:23 AM
I have to shampoo every other day. If I try to strecth washes, my scalp gets oily and itchy. So I have to wash. My hair loves washing, I donīt think washing hurts hair.

CherrySilver
September 23rd, 2011, 09:22 AM
I probably wash 5x/week, mostly COs after I workout. Once or twice a week I CWC the morning after I apply my scalp & length oil treatment. I could care less about having wet hair and my length hasn't suffered any from the frequent washes.

Vallena
September 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
I used to wash it daily, but I got lazy and stopped. Then I noticed my hair seemed to appreciate not being washed every day! But everyone is a little bit different, and your hair might be okay with washing daily. You could always try 2-3x a week to see if you like it more, if you're curious.

HairFaerie
September 23rd, 2011, 10:57 AM
I wash every day and I also blow dry (on low settings) every day in the winter time. I air dry in the summer. But, I do wash every day. My hair is shorter right now because I cut it but I was a little below BSL before (siggy pic) and I washed every day.

I don't see any reason why it would inhibit growth. In fact, if I let it go for two or three days, my scalp gets nasty and I would think THAT would inhibit growth...

Mrspuddinhead
September 23rd, 2011, 12:09 PM
I'm glad to see others washing on a daily bases. I've just recently started washing on a daily bases because I cook every day and the air vent in my kitchen doesn't blow cool air very well leaving me hot and my hair sweaty. I was worried that the daily washing would case my hair to dry out. But if my fellow LHC members say it's allowed then that is good enough for me. :)