PDA

View Full Version : Knitting needles as hairsticks???

Mama D
March 13th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I've been hairstick-less for the last year or so. The cheapo hairsticks I bought from Claire's broke within a month or two, and I can't bring myself to pay full price for the super nice ones I see online (though I would looooove a nice hair fork).

So I've been using (I'm embarrassed to admit) pencils and pens as hair sticks. But the other day I was in Joann's Fabrics and saw these 7" knitting needles, the kind that are pointy on both ends. There were these skinny metal ones, a package of 3 or 4 for $3.99, and then there were bamboo ones, four for $8. I like the look of them--simple and low-key--and they would be kinder to my hair than the pencils and pens I've been using (which snag my hair), and best of all, they would be dirt cheap.

Only question I have is whether or not they would be strong enough. I don't know if they would be any stronger than the Claire's hairsticks which snapped on me. And I'm a little worried that the skinny metal ones would slip right out.

Has anyone used knitting needles as hairsticks? Did they work? Were they strong enough? What kind of hair do you have? (Mine is between tailbone and classic, straight, not particularly thick. I use hairsticks for inside-out buns and knot buns)

I suppose I could just try them and see--if they didn't work, it's not like I would be out a lot of money. But before I buy them, I thought it would be worth a try to stop by here and see if anyone else had any thoughts. :)

Thanks!

Wavelength
March 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
They're not only strong enough, but many of us bend the metal ones in half to make hairpins. They're very secure and safe to use in your hair.

Stagecoach
March 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I have some of the skinny metel ones, and they do slip some.. but otherwise they work great. I've thought about curling one end so that it won't slip out... maybe you could try that?

squiggyflop
March 13th, 2008, 08:55 PM
i bend the metal ones in half so they are like forks..... it works great and if you stick them in right you cant see them and it looks like your hair is magically staying up

carloota
March 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I love the knitting needles as hair sticks. I think how you wear your hair will affect how well the needles will hold. I haven't had to modify my needles at all and they hold my thick, waist length hair quite well.

jamisonlcloud
March 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM
YES! Especially the knitting needles made by Lantern Moon! :D

Delila
March 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I love using the metal ones as hair pins. They're great, and so cheap.

Just wrap one in a cloth (to avoid scratches) and bend it around a doorknob.

When my hair was shorter, I only needed one to hold an updo, but nowadays I need two to feel secure.

I do keep one of these to use when I put my hair up for a shower. One's plenty secure enough for that, even though the updo doesn't look all that great.

Feisty Redhead
March 13th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I haven't used them myself - it's something I plan to try though. In fact I am planning on buying some this weekend... assuming I remember to stop by the craft store while I am out and about. But, my sister has used her knitting needles as hair sticks in a pinch and she loves them. :)

And... not entirely the same but I've used a crochet hook in a pinch - just making sure to use the rounded end to insert it and leaving the hook end out of my hair. In a hurry, nearly anything will do.

carloota
March 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Just wrap one in a cloth (to avoid scratches) and bend it around a doorknob.

Thanks Delila for posting your technique. I'm definitely going to try this.

Mama D
March 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Wow, so they work! I'm glad I checked with you guys! And I never would have thought of bending one in half to make a fork--I can't wait to try it. I'll stop by the craft store tomorrow to get them. (And I'll report back to let you know how it works out!)

OR Cowgirl
March 13th, 2008, 09:27 PM
LOL! That's exactly where I got some of my hairsticks! And I really like the bamboo ones! I left some of the metal ones straight and bent some of them. I can sleep in a high bun with the bent ones. If one gets lost, big deal. They are replaceable!

I say go for it! I think you'll like them and the price is certainly right!

Mariah

eadwine
March 14th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I am wearing one of those folded in half ones right now :lol: So yes, definitely try them. If one leg comes out longer, bend out the shorter leg, and push the longer one toward the shorter one. I recently got a 3mm difference between legs reduced to nothing using that trick.

Rain
March 14th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I use dpns as hair sticks sometimes. I use those for knitting though so I'm more likely to use a little red crochet hook in my hair. I don't know how to crochet. :wink: Knit Picks has sets of Harmonywood dpns (http://www.knitpicks.com/6+Harmony+Wood+Double+Pointed+Knitting+Needles_NDk pdpnwd.html) that are stronger than bamboo and more flexible than metal. I would go with size 3. If you like more length, they have larger diameter needles in 8" lengths too. 8" sticks out well past my head but whatever works for you. I'm just saying.

k_hepburn
March 14th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I wish we could get those coloured double ended knitting needles over here in Germany. We do get some bamboo ones and ebony wood ones now, but those you can't bend. As far as metal knitting needles go it's still just plain old industrial grey all the way. And just as with Amish pins, I cannot really get myself to pay international postage for ordering such a low cost item from overseas, it just seems too manifestly absurd.

Greetings

katharine

Laululintu
March 14th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I've used metal dpns as hairsticks before, but I haven't bought any as hair toys, as you can only buy grey metal ones here. I might get a pair of rosewood/ebony dpns though for my hair, as I'm not sure my bamboo ones are strong enough for updos.

savi
March 14th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I use them (metal ones), unfortunately my current ones are starting to be pretty bent. My family members always shy away from me when I have them on. Because I have yet again sharp objects in my hair. :D

bikerbraid
March 14th, 2008, 05:41 AM
As an avid knitter, I frequently have knitting needles in my hair! Bamboo double points make great hairsticks. I've not tried the trick with bending a metal stick to make a fork, but I just might try that with some of my "orphaned" metal double points.

Anje
March 14th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I keep a bent dpn in my pocket most days, in case I have a hairstyle failure. They're one of my main "works when nothing else is working" items.

ETA: I'm wearing one today!

Xandergrammy
March 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I keep knitting needles at work for this purpose. They work great as hairsticks. I have very thick hair and even the thin ones hold my buns.

rubyann
March 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I used dpkns to put up my hair long before I bought my sticks and forks, and I still use them around the house. I actually wore a red one yesterday with my red outfit. Brilliant .:magic:

Patrycja
March 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM
oh yea..another reason to make my way to Joanns..thanks for the ideas :flower:

Delila
March 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks Delila for posting your technique. I'm definitely going to try this.

You're welcome! :)

It works as well to bend it around a shower curtain rod, or the rod in the closet, depending on the space you want to have between the tines.

A washcloth and a bandanna work equally well, IMO, depending on what's available.

khyricat
March 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I use the spare needle often.. not to hold the hair, but as an extra stick next to whatever is in, or against it, just as a way to get ti out of the way while my knitting is set down for a few.. otherwise, I use short metal DPN's as sticks in my cloth slides, and I sometimes bend them as mentioned here.. but mostly my hair toys are seperate from my knitting tools.

tameriska
March 14th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I actually thought when I read the title, that you meant using the wooden knitting needles as hairsticks (they work well too, when shortened)

I am putting up my hand as another reccomendation fot the bent-in-half dpn's, they are nearly all I use now

LilyMunster
March 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I found some nice rosewood knitting needles. I'll try to find a link. I always check out yarn shops.
I also have some lantern moon ebony and maple ones.
I'll look for the rosewood ones name.

Haith
March 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM
What a fabulous idea! I have some of these small double-pointed needles that I purchased one day when I thought I would get enthusiastic about knitting (I gave up about half-way through a sock), and now I know what to do with them.

You ladies are just so clever!

Lady Godiva
March 14th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I have rosewood, bamboo and ebony double-pointed knitting needles. They tend to fall out of my slippery, fine 1a hair, but they are very kind, and I do recommend them. I broke an ebony, though. :rolleyes:

JennQ
March 14th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Seriously, the inventiveness of the ladies on this site never ceases to amaze me. I get the feeling that a lot of you walk around all day thinking "Hmm, I wonder what else I can stick in my hair?"

All right, I guess I'm off to Wal-Mart. Darn you!

khyricat
March 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM
my rosewood's are brittany's (brand).. I have had them a long time.. non DPN's are TOO long for me in most cases, and so are many of my DPN's for longterm use at least right now.

Amie

florenonite
March 14th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I do this! They work and look nice and simple.

chloeishere
March 14th, 2008, 09:08 PM
This idea is really intriguing-- I've heard about it for a while, but I could never figure out how people got them bent so nicely, and I'm kinda clumsy, so I figured I'd mess it up. But using a doorknob or shower rod with a towel around the needle? That I can do! There's a Joann's nearby, I think I'll give this a try soon. I like those "harmonywood" sticks that were linked, but are they really able to be bended like a wavelength pin? I can't help but think they'd snap.
I know my hair, and there's no way I could keep a non-bent knitting needle in my hair, it'd slip right out. But it would be nice to have a few cheap pins I could use to keep my hair up at work without worrying about losing or breaking them if they fell out!

DragonMommie
March 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I also love using knitting needles, especially since I'm a knitter! It's sort of a badge of identification, and a handy place to keep them.

I find that the metal ones are pretty slippery, but I use the long ones and they pretty much stay in and slide only so far and don't slip out.

Delila
March 14th, 2008, 10:10 PM
... I like those "harmonywood" sticks that were linked, but are they really able to be bended like a wavelength pin? I can't help but think they'd snap...!

I've never tried to bend anything but the metal ones, and the wooden ones I've seen are all way, way too long for me to use as a hairstick. (my hair's on the fine and wimpy side of normal. ;) )

Rain
March 14th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I like those "harmonywood" sticks that were linked, but are they really able to be bended like a wavelength pin? I can't help but think they'd snap.

Harmonywood would absolutely snap. It's not bendy. It's a little flexible but it's laminated wood, not metal. It's got a little grip to it so it might actually hold in place anyway.

chloeishere
March 15th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I've never tried to bend anything but the metal ones, and the wooden ones I've seen are all way, way too long for me to use as a hairstick. (my hair's on the fine and wimpy side of normal. ;) )

Harmonywood would absolutely snap. It's not bendy. It's a little flexible but it's laminated wood, not metal. It's got a little grip to it so it might actually hold in place anyway.

Thanks for the information, Rain and Delila! I was contemplating getting some if there was one in store I could feel (to see if it would snap), but I don't think I need 6 of one stick. I saw they were only 6" long though, which is a more managable length for me than most knitting needles (I think the pair I'm working with right now are 14").

MerryKat
March 17th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I love my knitting hair forks. I got very lucky and was given a friend's gran's stash of knitting needles which included pink, green and white dpn - They are the most effective and hairfriendly toy I have - they are easy to use and stay put.

Firefly
March 17th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Oh wow, I will never look at my knitting needles the same way again! :disco:

I have a nice pair of rosewood needles that might make a particularly nice set of hair sticks. Thanks for the idea!