PDA

View Full Version : Impossible Straw Ends! Help!

GoldberryHair
September 13th, 2011, 05:04 PM
My hair is in really good health, I take very good care of it, but my ends are like STRAW! SO dry and pokey. Even after trims (and yes I take off as much as I need to) they're still straw-like. I've tried every "split end" treatment I can think of, doused it in Argan oil, coconut leave-in, everything, it's awful.

I need help! :(

ratgirldjh
September 13th, 2011, 05:47 PM
My hair is in really good health, I take very good care of it, but my ends are like STRAW! SO dry and pokey. Even after trims (and yes I take off as much as I need to) they're still straw-like. I've tried every "split end" treatment I can think of, doused it in Argan oil, coconut leave-in, everything, it's awful.

I need help! :(

Sounds like build up to me. Perhaps protein? My ends used to be this way when I would try and use conditioners that had protein. Since I have just been oiling as washing with soap I have no dry hairs any more!!! I would say to clarify and then oil the ends good and the rest of your hair too - and then wash again in the morning. But this is just what I would do :D

starlamelissa
September 13th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Two c's, clarify, then cones. See if your hair isn't a bit softer.

freecelt
September 13th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Before LHCF my ends always felt like straw(even with religious trims every 3 months). Now they are soft and not like straw at all! I started being nice to my hair. Gave up SLS and alcohol products. I started diluting my shampoo with water and started using coconut oil. I'm not sure what did it but in 3 months I noticed a total change in my hair(with out trimming off any). HTH! Good luck!

YepLilly
September 13th, 2011, 06:39 PM
When ends feel like straw or velcro it's usually protein overload. What is advised is to do a clarifying wash first and see if that helps. Then follow with a deep moisturizing treatment like SMT or something like Aussie 3MM. Good luck! :)

x0h_bother
September 13th, 2011, 06:46 PM
You may be doing too much of a good thing, especially with the oil and split end treatments. I would let it rest for a bit and maybe just S&C for a few days and see how it reacts. Sometimes less is more! And also the clarifying suggestion is not a bad one.

julliams
September 13th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Definitely clarify using a shampoo that says it clarifies. It will make all the difference.

Anisaa
September 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Try using jojoba oil only on the ends. It has helped me tremendously! After I wash my hair I let it air dry, when it is air dry I take a very small amount of jojoba oil and I apply it on my ends as needed!!

jojo
September 13th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Mine felt like this today, totally forgot the last time i clarified but oh the difference. Also try EVOO its wonderful for turning straw into silk!

luxepiggy
September 14th, 2011, 12:08 AM

This. Definitely sounds like protein overload to me. After clarifying, use a 'coney moisturizing deep treatment without proteins. Piggy suggests Pantene's Damage Repair Ampoules (^(oo)^)v

Modarunner
September 14th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I have very dry ends too, even though I oil my ends, do trims and condition. What products don't have protein in them? How do u tell if there's protein in your product?

Hypnotica
September 14th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I have very dry ends too, even though I oil my ends, do trims and condition. What products don't have protein in them? How do u tell if there's protein in your product?

It usually says so on the ingredient list.

CarpeDM
September 14th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Have you tried olive oil? Coconut oil has been known to dry my ends out and make them crunchy as well as protein, but olive oil does wonders!

Anje
September 14th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Another vote for clarifying. After that, I'd do a moisture treatment rather than use silicones, but that's due to my own hair's preferences.

sarahbrownie
September 14th, 2011, 08:11 AM
This. Definitely sounds like protein overload to me. After clarifying, use a 'coney moisturizing deep treatment without proteins. Piggy suggests Pantene's Damage Repair Ampoules (^(oo)^)v

Also try Suave's Humectant Moisture or Suave's Almond and Shea Butter. Both were amazing! My hair always seemed dry no matter how many SMTs or deep conditioners I tried and this stuff made my hair so silky. I'm using the Humectant right now to help deal with the frizz because of the recent humidity here.

isabelx
September 14th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I know it's already been mentioned but I definitely recommend Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor Conditioner :) did my ends wonders

trikafilia
July 19th, 2019, 10:33 PM
Excuse me I'm new here :D
What is the difference between straw ends and split ends? Are there always any split end inside straw ends?

AutobotsAttack
July 19th, 2019, 10:37 PM
I’d stop using oils to moisturize your ends. Oils don’t moisturize, they lubricate, which is slightly different.

I’d say to develop some type of ends routine. Using mostly moisture, and rotate every so often with protein.
You can moisturize and seal, like many of us do, do the baggy Method, or green house effect for your ends.

My favorite thing to put on my ends is collagen. Keeps them elastic and soft, but strong enough to not break, and then I seal with whatever oil I want.

pailin
July 19th, 2019, 11:42 PM
If you're not doing anything bad to your hair, but you are using coconut oil, I'd ditch for a while and see if that helps.
Coconut oil on my ends did that too me when I used to use it daily on braids.

Actually I've had trouble with oils in general. Coconut and castor are the worst for me, but I've had that effect with other oils at times too, so I really think you can have too much of a good thing. I'd try clarifying and skipping the oils. Maybe an smt.

But I know, as suggested by the posters above, protein can do that to some people too. In the ingredients lists on your products, look for keratin, collagen, and especially 'hydrolyzed (anything)' - ie keratin, silk protein, collagen, etc. Hydrolyze is what you do to a big protein molecule to break it up into smaller pieces, so 'hydrolyzed' in an ingredients list usually means protein.

Tinyponies
July 20th, 2019, 03:01 AM
Excuse me I'm new here :D
What is the difference between straw ends and split ends? Are there always any split end inside straw ends?

Hi and welcome!

As far as I understand, “straw ends” usually is when someone’s referring to how their ends feel. This could be described by any number of words - dry, crispy, stiff, brittle-feeling, etc.

Split ends are when the hair shaft splits literally into two (or more) at the very end.

Straw like ends could certainly lead to more split and damaged hair ends, through them grabbing to each other and through dryness.

So yeah, in dry ends (or any ends) you might find split ends, but you can help dry feeling ends to feel silkier/more hydrated/more smooth without necessarily having to cut anything off. There are lots of product recommendations, recipes and methods here on lhc that you can try to improve the feeling, if “straw ends” is what you feel like you have.

All the best!

lapushka
July 20th, 2019, 08:28 AM
Tinyponies explained it well. Splits are hairs that are mechanically damaged.

Straw ends is just how it feels. A good moisturizing treatment (your best mask or conditioner after a good clarify wash) will usually fix that!

Welcome to the forum, BTW! :D

LittleHealthy
July 20th, 2019, 08:31 PM

I agree with this advice. My hair was in an awful state recently, much like you’ve described. I just needed a good clarifying! It can be build-up that makes hair so this!

LittleHealthy
July 20th, 2019, 08:33 PM
Whoopsie, I didn’t realise the original post was from 2011 :laugh: oh dear!

Skunklover
July 20th, 2019, 08:44 PM
mine feel like that to. the suggestions sound good to me. im going to give it ago and hope for silk and now stabbing straw :pray:

RottenMango
July 22nd, 2019, 04:15 AM
I find my entire length of hair, especially my ends, stays moisturized longer with frequent deep conditioning for a few hours. I think heavy sealing also helps to keep moisture in, but it can cause buildup and brittle textured hair if the hair is not clarified often enough.