PDA

View Full Version : How often do you REALLY need to trim your hair?

aminah
September 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Okay, so everyone here has probably heard from hair dressers, 'trim every 6-8weeks.' Of course, we also know that this is not necessarily true, esp. if you're trying to grow it long. I am still learning about better haircare, so I thought this was a good place to start.

I have been going to one stylist for several years, and trust her alot; mom goes to her, and I think she even cut my hair a few times in high school as well. When I told her about the new regime I adopted: seamless comb, shampoo bar, ACV rinse, and deep conditioning once a month she told me that I was doing what was best for my hair, and to keep it up. However, the only point we disagree on is trims, so I've been going every 3 months for trims. How often do you think is really necessary to get trims when you're trying to grow?

I comb everyday, and use a brush w/ wooden pins (Earth Therapeutics Paddle size brush) very gently w/ my hair; I have such thick hair that I can't really avoid the brushing. I only wash 1x-2x weekly, so I think I've been relatively gentle w/ my hair. I have a toddler to take care of all day, so I don't really have time or focus to search out all the splits at home. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!
Aminah

longcurlygirl<3
September 13th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I should at least 6 months, but I do every one time a year :D

Maktub
September 13th, 2011, 04:45 PM
The decision is personnal. I like a small trimm more often (every couple weeks, to keep it fresh and prevent damage), rather than a bigger one 1-2 times a year. But that's just me :)

Mesmerise
September 13th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I think a small trim every three months is just fine! I'd go even longer if you don't have damage or splits. I usually just get my hair cut twice a year... but errm... since learning about self trimming I've cut it more frequently!!! (I do have taper to get rid of though...).

I certainly think every 6 to 8 weeks is a bad idea if you're growing. I mean...it depends how fast your hair grows, and how much the hairdresser trims each time!

jojo
September 13th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Going every 6-8 weeks is fine if you are maintaining a certain style i.e. shorter hair. With longer hair personally speaking I normally dust every month but only _ <---- that much to catch any baby splits and I also do 2 1/2" trims, though my ends are getting quite sea through so I just had my daughter trim an inch off to thicken them up but normally every 3-4 months is adequate or regular dustings and teeny trims in-between. I have tried no trims and lasted 5 months, it was no good for me as my hair is too fine.

AcornMystic
September 13th, 2011, 05:16 PM
If you`re wanting to grow your hair, that is too much. Unfortunately, hair dressers make their money by cutting hair so they will be biased as to how often you should get it trimmed, but the quality of your hair doesn`t matter so much to her, just means she`ll enjoy nicer hair to work with.

Don`t listen to her if you are trying to grow your hair out. If you are taking good care of it there is no need to get it trimmed so often.

I trim mine every 6 months (twice a year) to make sure my hem continues to be even as it grows since I want a blunt hemline and won`t have to stop and do any of this maintaining down the road. In between trims I do S&D to minimize the chances of broken hairs thinning my hemline dramatically and naturally to keep all my hairs split-free and healthy.

If she insists on frequency just do a dusting during your 3 month visits. If the hair dresser doesn`t at least respect that then she`s not the one for you and I recommend if you are bold enough, to try it yourself. That`s the best advice I can give.

QMacrocarpa
September 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Depends very much on the hair, but my hair is split-prone, and I'm not planning to trim more often than every 6 months as long as I'm not getting lots of splits and short bits breaking off (so far, so good, at 5 months since my last self-trim). Some lucky folks with hair that is really resistant to splitting can apparently trim on a schedule of ... never. Yes, never. It makes me green with envy! :D

I monitor my ends in a casual way, and when I notice the ends are getting harder to comb through, and seem to tangle again the moment after I comb them, or I'm seeing quite short strands of broken-off hair on the floor or counter right after I comb, then it's time to trim.

MinderMutsig
September 13th, 2011, 05:27 PM
It depends on what you want from your hair. I don't like a lot taper or fairytale ends on me so I prefer to do microtrims every three months or so to keep the hemline from doing that.

If you prefer length over a thick hemline or like taper and fairytale ends, I think you only need to trim when your hemline has a lot of damage and splits. If you take really good care of your hair you could go without trims for years.

freecelt
September 13th, 2011, 06:06 PM
From CB to TB I did every 3 months then was stuck at TB for 5 years. I've since gone 8 months without trimming and it doesn't really look like it needs it. Go with the flow!

Swan 92
September 13th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Every six months for me. :)

Lianna
September 13th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Like others said depends on the hair, and your personal preference. I trim 2mm very often, like every month, to keep even ends and maintain layers and my hair grows very well still. I would hate to cut 1 inch or more in one go! :) Or worse, I see some people cut a lot more because "they need a trim" from not trimming too long. I cut less than one inch the whole past year doing this method, frequent, but small amounts.

Lostsoule77
September 13th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I tend to only trim one to two times a year. I do s&d semi-frequently though. As others have said it really does depend on your hair. I would try stretching it to every 4 months and see how it goes and keep going in that vein to find what is really comfortable for you.

may1em
September 13th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Everybody has different hair, treats it differently, and has different ideas about what hemline looks good.

It also depends on whether you're maintaining or going for length.

If your hair feels crunchy at the ends, or is tangling a lot, try a small trim and see if that doesn't fix it. If your ends look and feel fine (to you) then don't trim. I trim every 2-4 months, depending.

HintOfMint
September 13th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Every 5-6 months is about right for me. It's about that time when the ends get raggedy and dry, even though there isn't much damage and I do everything possible to prevent damage.

"'Bout that time, eh chaps?
Right-o."

macherie
September 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Every 6 mo's for me.
This keeps my ends dead straight, and despite my husbands protests, keeps it from creeping down my legs....:)

Ashenputtel
September 13th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I'm getting rid of old dye, layers and damage and I cut my hair every 3-4 months and its fine. I get a full inch sometimes even two cut every time since there is still a bit of bleach left in my hair. Once this will be over I will cut it every six month.

There are no rules really.

SilentGuardian
September 13th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I've been going every three months. But I'm starting to realize that I may be able to wait longer. It's already been two months since I went, but I see no splits on my ends. I will wait longer this time perhaps. However, I have a good stylist, so she only takes off what needs to go, so it may make no difference anyway.

BlazingHeart
September 13th, 2011, 09:09 PM
It really does depend on the hair and your preferences. I happen to have very thick, virtually indestructible hair.

The longest I've gone was 2 years. That was long before LHC, so I never did S&D or protective styles, but I still had a thick hemline and very few split ends - about what you'd expect on the average person in 6-8 weeks.

Right now, I'll probably get it trimmed every 2 months once my hair hits a bun-able length to get rid of the 8-10" of layers I have at the bottom, then let it continue growing longer.

~Blaze

aminah
September 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I think I will try to extend it to every 4months, and see what happens when I go back to get the ends dusted. I really hate to lose alot of length in 1 visit, it drives me nuts. I am really hoping to have waist length hair in a few years, what patience it takes. I am living in Jordan, BTW, w/ my hubby. I had to stock up on shampoo bars before I came.

I don't really have the time to do S&D; I am taking care of my very active 18month old daughter whose hobby seems to be raiding and pillaging our house every chance she gets:rolleyes: I don't mind if the ends get a little wispy, just as long as they're not damaged. I don't have any chemicals on my hair either, I stopped blow drying about 2yrs ago.

What I have been trying to do is look at the hairs coming out during combing and brushing; if there are splits near the ends of some of them or not. In the past, if I started to see shorter hairs coming out, I would usually head for a trim the following week. I use a wide tooth horn comb, and also a Mason Pearson for smoothing near the part when I braid it. Hopefully the damage is less as I've just been keeping it in a long braid all day. Since moving overseas from the US, I haven't had the chance to get a trim for about 5months; I guess I'll see if my hiatus has paid off or not.

My hubby's family is here in Jordan, and alot of the girls here grow their hair very long, his sister has beautiful Classic Length hair, and her mother also had hair the same length years ago.

Thanx for all the tips, feel free to clue me in on more ideas!

Aminah

Yozhik
September 13th, 2011, 09:33 PM
When I first joined up I went a year and 4 months before I had my first trim! Granted, then I cut off about 2.5 inches, but it wasn't a big deal. I also did a lot of S&D on the way.

It seems we have similar hair types -- somewhat thick and somewhat wavy -- what I found useful about not trimming is that with my waves, you couldn't really tell if my hemline was getting a bit ragged. :)

It sounds like you're taking perfectly good care of your hair. :flower:
I'd start stretching and see how long it takes for your ends to feel crunchy, and when they reach that stage, then go get a trim.

LaurelSpring
September 13th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I have experimented with this over the years. Like you I started with 3 month trims at the salon but I was getting nowhere fast! (she always cut my growth)

Next, I tried no trims and got some good length on my hair but I did have alot of splits and weirdness at the bottom so ended up taking off more than I was happy with to take care of that. (I had started doing self trims)

Now, I am doing an S&D with a tiny micro dusting once a month. This seems to be working well for me. I am keeping on top of the splits. My hair is nice and smooth and I am gaining length. This plan seems to be working the best for me.

S&S
October 21st, 2019, 03:52 PM
I am resurrecting an ancient thread.

For those that trim 1~2 times a year: Do you just trim 1-2 cm every time?

When I S&D, I see that most of my splits are at least 2 inches from the bottom. The rest of my ends look decent. Just wondering when I do my trim at the end of of Dec, is it even worth doing a mini trim if most of my splits are 2+inches? - I definitely don't want to cut that much.

lapushka
October 21st, 2019, 04:24 PM

When I S&D, I see that most of my splits are at least 2 inches from the bottom. The rest of my ends look decent. Just wondering when I do my trim at the end of of Dec, is it even worth doing a mini trim if most of my splits are 2+inches? - I definitely don't want to cut that much.

If you still have damage from heat, or color, or bleach in your hair, I say it's worth it to trim just a bit more.

*Wednesday*
October 21st, 2019, 05:08 PM

I trim 2 times a year. Just a dusting doing Feye’s method. However this works for me.

Natalina
October 21st, 2019, 06:43 PM
Honestly I don't trim unless I saw significant amounts of of split-ends, but my hair rarely gets them so I never really do.

I don't care about hemlines and have found that my hair naturally grows out to a V-shape or fairytails, eitherway, I like both looks so I don't mind.:o

Arciela
October 21st, 2019, 06:48 PM
If you still have damage from heat, or color, or bleach in your hair, I say it's worth it to trim just a bit more.

This is so true. I still have about and inch left of bleach that needs to go. It's got splits so I'm probably going to chop it all off soon. It's so worth it :flower:

Dark40
October 21st, 2019, 08:40 PM
I do 2 very small trims once or twice a year. My hair also doesn't get split ends either. So, I hardly ever trim. Because, it doesn't need it. My hair grows in a straight across thick hemline.

Simsy
October 24th, 2019, 05:11 AM

Is just trimming the split an option? It would spare most of the length, and should catch the split before it grows too long.

I trim every 12-18 months, depending on how the ends are behaving. The amount is determined by how rough things feel. What I do have is a pair of scissors in the bathroom at home, and a pair that lives in my purse with my wallet and phone. I usually find my spilts while away from home, and having the scissors on hand means I can deal with them.

Jesmonster2
October 24th, 2019, 06:04 AM
I've been doing the tiniest dusting every month or so, and I am still seeing growth and I have a nice hemline. It also helps me resist the urge to do a bigger cut, especially if I am having a really bad hair day.