PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Nutrients to Revitalize Your Hair

StillAHulaGirl
June 30th, 2008, 08:26 PM
This was published in my local organic market's monthly natural living magazine. I found it pretty interesting, so I thought I would share it with all of you...enjoy!

Revitalize your hair with these top 10 nutrients

By Monika Rice

Healthy hair is a beautiful sight to behold on man, woman or child. Beyond being glamorous and sexy, it’s a universal sign of youth and vitality. Yet, stress and poor diet can take their toll, rendering hair dull and lifeless, or worse. No one wants hair loss or a thinning crown of glory. Because hair, like every part of the body, required a daily, synergistic blend of the right vitamins and minerals to remain strong and healthy, proper nutrition is vital. Here, we provide a short list of the 10 key nutrients to healthy hair; most can be found in a good breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Protein – Hair’s structure consists primarily of protein, which remains forever critical to hair growth. The best sources start with lean fish, poultry and meat and extend to eggs, soy products, nuts and sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

Essential Fatty Acids – Good fats, like the oft-recommended omega-3s, are known to keep hair soft and shiny. They come in plant oils, such as olive, walnut and canola oils, walnuts, almonds and flax seed. Certain types of fish, such as salmon, tuna and mackerel, also deliver the beneficial fatty acids.

Magnesium and Calcium – These two minerals work together to ensure healthy hair growth. Look to tofu, sesame seeds, chickpeas, dark leafy greens, nuts, wheat germ, cheeses and yogurt as key sources.

Zinc – Zinc heals and prevents scaliness of the skin, which benefits the scalp. Best sources include oysters, beef and lamb, whole grains and black eyed peas.

Iodine – This essential mineral helps regulate thyroid hormones, which in turn prevent gray hair and hair loss. Find it in seaweed, fish, garlic and iodized salt.

Vitamin A – Vitamin A aids production of healthy sebum in the scalp. Great food sources include eggs, spinach, broccoli, carrots, apricots, milk and cheeses.

Vitamins B6, B5, B12 and Folic Acid – A range of vitamins Bs abound in bananas, potatoes, beans and lentils, whole grains and brewer’s yeast.

Biotin – Essential in the production of keratin, this B vitamin may prevent graying and hair loss. Biotin can be found in brewer’s yeast, whole grains, egg yolks, rice and milk.

Inositol – This lesser-known member of the Vitamin B family keeps hair follicles healthy at the cellular level. Main sources are brewer’s yeast, whole grains and citrus fruits.

Antioxidants – Well known for a range of virtues, antioxidants also protect hair and scalp from environmental stress. They commonly infuse fruits and vegetables, especially blueberries, strawberries, melons, tomatoes, leafy greens and bell peppers. Here’s a rule of thumb: the richer and deeper the color of the fruit or vegetable, the higher its antioxidant content.

Ultimately, our hair reflects the overall condition of our body. Hair thrives best in a healthy and well nourished environment of good hygiene and good diet.

GlennaGirl
June 30th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I'm glad to see this list because I eat a lot of the foods on it!

Eolan
July 1st, 2008, 12:16 AM
Thank you for sharing! :D

Phalaenopsis
July 1st, 2008, 12:47 AM
Oh this is interesting! I think I'm going to try to put more sesame seeds in my meals. :)

sipnsun
July 1st, 2008, 08:50 AM
That is a great list! Thanks for taking the time to share. I think I'll take a few notes to add to my grocery list this week.

Chromis
July 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Oooh nifty, who knew my vampire-frightening level of garlic consumption was good for my hair! :yumm:

xrosiex
July 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for sharing.:)

lilalong
July 1st, 2008, 04:08 PM
Thank you, this is extremely interesting.

Igor
July 1st, 2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for posting :flower: Always good with a reminder to generally eat healthier (And “Its for my hair” is always a valid reason :wink: )

Ohio Sky
July 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
Wait... I didnt see chocolate on there anywhere!

Argh! Thats what Ive been doing wrong!! :rolleyes:

jenna
July 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM
other than the animal products, i eat just about everything on there. yay!

saving that article for future use, too. :)

StillAHulaGirl
July 1st, 2008, 05:55 PM
I'm so glad you guys enjoyed the article! ..and you're absolutely right...eating healthy is the best way to "health-i-fy" your hair. (yeah I just made that word up)

I'll be sure to post future findings...the town I live in has a great organic/natural fan base.

StillAHulaGirl
July 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM
OH, except for the chocolate....they DID forget to put that one there. But I argue that chocolate has a lot of antioxidants! :D So there! :D

shikara
January 8th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Thought Id bump this great blast from the past!! btw dark chocolate that is 65% or more has been shown to be very healthy, containing even more of some vital benefits that come from blueberries, and more.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_44053aa6.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=44053aa6.jpg)

swearnsue
January 8th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I'll make my new years resolution to consume more chocolate!

blondie9912
January 8th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Lovely article! Thank you for sharing :)

ClassicalBlonde
January 8th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I'll make my new years resolution to consume more chocolate!

Now that seems like a great idea to me!! I love an excuse to eat more chocolate :D

sfgirl
January 8th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I saved this to my computer! So helpful! Especially with the new year. :)

jacqueline101
January 9th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Thanks for sharing.