PDA

View Full Version : coconut oil added to shampoo

RedDevil
September 13th, 2011, 10:29 AM
This was the second day that I've tried this method. I don't think my hair likes this process at all :(

I clarified with Joico chelating shampoo prior to starting. I've added a dab of coconut oil to about 2 tablespoons of VO5 raspberry shampoo. HOLY TANGLES! I absolutely had to use conditioner afterwards otherwise I wouldn't be able to finger comb without ripping all of my hair out!

Yesterday my scalp was itchy in spots and my hair looked greasy

Today less scalp itch but I definately have a limp and stringy hair thing going on.
what am I doing wrong?

Fufu
September 13th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Too much coconut oil? or coconut oil not suitable for the shampoo vice versa??

ktani
September 13th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Joico Chelating shampoo is not a clarifying shampoo, http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=100554/Chelating_shampoo_(k-pak_line)/Joico/Shampoo

It contains a number of ingredients that can prevent the lauric acid in the coconut oil from penetrating your hair, like the cetyl alcohol (waxy) and the aloe juice and more as well as not removing whatever product build-up you may have on your hair.

spidermom
September 13th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I don't know.

I don't like oil on my scalp, which produces more sebum than I like, so I usually coconut oil my length an hour to a day prior to washing my hair. That way, I figure the coconut oil is right where I need it. As I understand it, washing helps the oil to penetrate.

annieangel149
September 13th, 2011, 11:36 AM
coconut oil will only work with me as a pre-treatment! i smother the length of my dry hair with it (NOT MY SCALP) before i go to bed! In the morning i just CWC and viola! my hair is lovely and soft!

pepperminttea
September 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM
You can use conditioner with the method; a lot of people do. :) Some people also use a Hypnorinse, which is a dilute conditioner rinse, and that bit lighter than using straight conditioner. I'd also think about using a higher ratio of oil to shampoo, like 1:1. I was sure I'd end up with Oil City on my scalp when I first tried 1:1 ratio, but I didn't. :D Alternatively, you could add coconut oil to your conditioner instead - sometimes called 'coconditioner' - but for that definitely use a small amount of coconut oil, not a 1:1 ratio.

My scalp was very itchy on oil shampoo too; especially at the start, and while it reduced over time, it never calmed down to its usual level (I have psoriasis on my scalp, so I'm never completely itch-free).

RedDevil
September 13th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Oh no! I got the impression that joico chelating was clarifying! Thanks, i will try a clarifying shampoo and start over.

ktani
September 13th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Oh no! I got the impression that joico chelating was clarifying! Thanks, i will try a clarifying shampoo and start over.

You are most welcome!

The itchiness may be a reaction to coconut oil or an ingredient in one of the shampoos. Some fragance additives in particular can cause that reaction.

Ashenputtel
September 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Coconut oil can clog pores on some people it's comedogenic. Do you know if your skin responds well to it?

RedDevil
September 30th, 2011, 10:30 PM
My skin on my body responds ok to coconut oil. However the skin on my face will get alittle, well oily with coconut oil

Panth
October 1st, 2011, 07:34 AM
Yeah, as others have said:

1) You need to clarify before, not chelate.

2) You need a very specific sort of shampoo for this (basically: very plain, without anything that could coat the hair or cause build-up as that would prevent the coconut oil penetrating the hair). You can find a list of good shampoos here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1369612&postcount=816). Personally, I'd add Pantene Clarifying Shampoo to that list - it works very well for me - better, in fact, than the 'optimal' Boot's Essentials blue one (the only other I've tried, which just *will not* work for me).

3) You need to use a much larger amount of coconut oil. For me, generally between 1:1 and 2:1 oil:shampoo is best.

(Also, note the optimal results bit here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1366902&postcount=736) - with this method, the hair is soft and tangle-free when dry. However, it is often unmanageable and tangly when wet. Unlike conditioner, you cannot comb your hair out in the shower with this method.)

For lots and lots of info on the method, see here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191).

ktani
October 1st, 2011, 07:59 AM
Yeah, as others have said:

1) You need to clarify before, not chelate.

2) You need a very specific sort of shampoo for this (basically: very plain, without anything that could coat the hair or cause build-up as that would prevent the coconut oil penetrating the hair). You can find a list of good shampoos here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1369612&postcount=816). Personally, I'd add Pantene Clarifying Shampoo to that list - it works very well for me - better, in fact, than the 'optimal' Boot's Essentials blue one (the only other I've tried, which just *will not* work for me).

3) You need to use a much larger amount of coconut oil. For me, generally between 1:1 and 2:1 oil:shampoo is best.

(Also, note the optimal results bit here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1366902&postcount=736) - with this method, the hair is soft and tangle-free when dry. However, it is often unmanageable and tangly when wet. Unlike conditioner, you cannot comb your hair out in the shower with this method.)

For lots and lots of info on the method, see here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191).

The hair can be tangle free both wet and dry. It depends on what products are used. ETA: I am not referring to minimal conditioner used afterward. That can be done. An acidic rinse (diluted lemon juice, vinegar or undiluted club soda can be used to help with hard water issues or if a shampoo is alkaline). Some shampoos are far less suitable than others, as has been said.

The amount of coconut oil needed during shampooing varies with the person and their hair. There is no one single recipe for everyone. That is the point of it. It is about customizing a shampoo for one's own needs with the coconut or similar oils (like babassu oil for example).

Panth
October 1st, 2011, 09:24 AM
The hair can be tangle free both wet and dry. It depends on what products are used. ETA: I am not referring to minimal conditioner used afterward. That can be done. An acidic rinse (diluted lemon juice, vinegar or undiluted club soda can be used to help with hard water issues or if a shampoo is alkaline). Some shampoos are far less suitable than others, as has been said.

The amount of coconut oil needed during shampooing varies with the person and their hair. There is no one single recipe for everyone. That is the point of it. It is about customizing a shampoo for one's own needs with the coconut or similar oils (like babassu oil for example).

Sorry, should have said 'it is often unmanageable and tangly when wet, when perfecting the technique for your individual hair'. That has been my personal experience, anyway.

As for the amount of coconut oil needed, of course that varies. I was just giving how much I use as a ballpark figure. *shrug*

ktani
October 1st, 2011, 09:28 AM
Sorry, should have said 'it is often unmanageable and tangly when wet, when perfecting the technique for your individual hair'. That has been my personal experience, anyway.

As for the amount of coconut oil needed, of course that varies. I was just giving how much I use as a ballpark figure. *shrug*

I was just giving variables, not correcting you.

Some people had no tangles wet or dry from the start and others like you went through finding a good shampoo choice that worked better.

The 1:1 proportion often used in the thread came from reports and for some people was a good place to start. For others it was way too much oil.

RedDevil
October 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I clarified with V05 kiwi then used my coconut and V05 raspberry shampoo in a 1:1 ratio. Still not getting the desired results so I am putting this technique aside for awhile.
I did however discover that Rx ketoconazole shampoo is working wonders for me. Go figure :)