PDA

View Full Version : Woman at church complimented my braid!!

Melanie Marie
September 13th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I was stepping out of church this morning and folding up my mantilla when an older woman stepped over to me and said, "I have to ask you, do you braid your own hair, or does someone braid it for you?" I was super shocked, but after a second I managed to answer, "Um, I do all the braiding myself." And she exclaimed, "I couldn't help but admire your hair because it's so long and beautiful, and your braid is just perfect! It's so even!" :o She was so sweet, and we had a conversation where I discovered that she was also in Frankfurt and worked there, like my dad used to, and she gave me her card and said I was welcome to come over anytime.

And the best part of it all? I was wearing an English braid!

:laugh:

dementedkitten
September 13th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Yay! I love when things like that happen. Congrats :)

spidermom
September 13th, 2011, 08:52 AM
That's so nice! A sincerely compliment can really brighten your day, can't it?

annieangel149
September 13th, 2011, 08:58 AM
awww how lovely! we need this! It reminds us that with all the bad stuff happening in the world there is good! there are good people out there and it renews your faith in the human race! :)

redmj
September 13th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I love it when someone compliments me on my hair. I only wear it up and sometimes I feel like it has that old librarian look to it. I have found that one braid is all it takes to go from "just throw it up and get it out of my way" to "I actually did my hair this morning". Congrats on your braid being so nice.

Fufu
September 13th, 2011, 10:40 AM
very lovely compliment :) They cheer up the normal day...

Melanie Marie
September 13th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I was just so surprised because it was only an English braid, but I usually get complimented on the things I least expect. It made me really happy though, and the woman is really sweet. I'm probably going to give her a call to go have coffee one of these days. :D

CornishMaid
September 13th, 2011, 02:39 PM
That is really lovely. It is so nice to hear positive things,and you may even have made a new friend:)

DakarNick
September 13th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Compliments are always a welcome thing to hear! My wife got a few yesterday at work. We work together. She wore a side braid over her left shoulder. A normal three strand but only using two strands. The third was a scarf/head wrap thing.

A guy came up to her and asked how long it was unbraided, lol. It's just below BSL and braided its just above BSL. She told me he kept complimenting it.

Then the security guard asked her how long it took to do. She said, "Oh, two minutes." Non-hair people are so clueless I just have to laugh :)

Melanie Marie
September 13th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Compliments are always a welcome thing to hear! My wife got a few yesterday at work. We work together. She wore a side braid over her left shoulder. A normal three strand but only using two strands. The third was a scarf/head wrap thing.

A guy came up to her and asked how long it was unbraided, lol. It's just below BSL and braided its just above BSL. She told me he kept complimenting it.

Then the security guard asked her how long it took to do. She said, "Oh, two minutes." Non-hair people are so clueless I just have to laugh :)

That braid with the scarf actually sounds really cool! I'm going to give that a try! :D

swearnsue
September 13th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Do you have a pic? This is the first time I've heard of someone making a friend because of their beautiful hair. Very encouraging!!

Lisa R
September 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Aww I'm so glad you got a lovely compliment. They really can make you feel so good!

WinterButterfly
September 13th, 2011, 11:49 PM
This just made me smile! :)

hairspastic
September 14th, 2011, 12:33 AM
This was nice to hear! A nice change from people being irritated or insulting someone on their hair. Congrats.

I agree with the PPs, the scarf idea in a braid is something I would like to try also.

Melanie Marie,

You wear a mantilla at church? I always thought some of the headcoverings and scarfs, especially the lace ones are a really attractive looking option. I often wanted to wear some of them around myself. It enhances the hair sometimes and sometimes it hides a bad hair day. (And in my case enhances the faith statement. My faith teaches that long hair is a spiritual veil. Sometimes I would like to wear a real veil sometimes to enhance that effect, and I also think it looks pretty. :)

jojo
September 14th, 2011, 12:57 AM
how lovely, that would have made my day :)

Melanie Marie
September 15th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I think the fact that it was so unexpected made it that much more heartwarming. An unexpected compliment always means more to me than a solicited one. :)

jamesw
September 15th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Congratulations - certainly would brighten up your day :)

Jessica Trapp
September 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Very cool!