PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad idea?

PoliticalPilot
September 12th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I have completely "virgin" hair--I have never dyed it or bleached. I would love to try some highlights/lowlights though, just to see what it looks like.

I'm wondering if it is bad for my hair? I am completely clueless as to all of this. :o

dulce
September 12th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Any chemicals cause hair damage but if you're younger your hair is more resilient than if you're older[ due to loss of estrogen.To be safe the first time,I would try just a few highlights on top near the face,I've done highlights in the past,but be careful some stylists tend to like to overdo it[too many,too thick] The foil method is kinder to your hair and scalp, than the cap method[yanking your hair with hooks through tiny holes ]

pixiedust
September 12th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Any chemicals cause hair damage but if you're younger your hair is more resilient than if you're older[ due to loss of estrogen.To be safe the first time,I would try just a few highlights on top near the face,I've done highlights in the past,but be careful some stylists tend to like to overdo it[too many,too thick] The foil method is kinder to your hair and scalp, than the cap method[yanking your hair with hooks through tiny holes ]

I would second this. It will be damaging, but it's not the worse you can do and it' might not be too noticeable. If you end up going the highlight route, make sure they use a high lift colour and not bleach, because bleach is MUCH more damaging.

luxepiggy
September 12th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Any chemical process is going to cause some damage to your hair; the question is, how much. Can you tell us more about your hair? Some hair types stand up better to chemical processing than others, so it's difficult to

jojo
September 12th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I don't think a persons age has anything to do with how a chemical can damage hair, hair is hair at the end of the day. However, as long as touch ups are to the roots only and you are not dying over dye its perfectly ok to do. Just make sure you use plenty of moisture and not too much heat. Hair is for enjoying.

We have lots of members with truly beautiful chemically dyed hair. A lot goes on the hair type too with medium to causer hairs able to cope with chemicals better.

misspurdy06
September 12th, 2011, 10:01 PM
When in doubt, don't do it. I will damage your hair and is a never ending cycle that you will get addicted to.

spidermom
September 12th, 2011, 10:09 PM
My hair chewed up my highlights and spit them out. That's what it looked like, anyway. Major damage.

But like everything else, YMMV.

dulce
September 12th, 2011, 11:06 PM
The loss of estrogen during /after menopause in some women can cause thinner ,more brittle , more easily damaged hair as I sadly found out.So age in some women can definitely cause unwanted changes in hair as my Doctor told me when I went to see him about it.I thought menopause was only hot flashes.Nope.I mention this only as I don't know your age.If you're younger your hair is going to take a lot more abuse and not react as much.At my age I avoid heat and chemicals now.

UltraBella
September 13th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I have highlights and lowlights, I really love them !!! I don't even abide by the roots only rule, it's incredibly difficult to do roots only when your highlights and lowlights are very thinly foiled in everywhere. My hair is very healthy but it is also very thick and on the coarse side. Some types of hair would be destroyed by the same thing.
Maybe start small ? Have a small amount of highlights foiled in and then see how those bits feel before you add more. Also, it is less damaging to add lowlights by depositing color than it is to bleach in highlights. Something to consider !

pepperminttea
September 13th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Give it two weeks, so you know you're sure. And you could always try them out by messing about on Taaz.com (http://www.taaz.com/)? :)

Ermine
September 13th, 2011, 12:40 AM
I think highlights would be fine. I'm currently growing out highlights and lowlights, and they're only slightly damaged. My length is just not nearly as shiny as my roots no matter what I do, and more "fluffy". But that could be just the difference in my routine pre-LHC and post-LHC. Either way, minimal damage, and that's on my fragile fine hair.

Also, make sure your hair stylist knows what s/he's doing, uses the foil method, errs on the side of caution. There's a big difference between stripes of bleach and really good highlights. Luckily, when I got highlights, my stylist made it so natural looking that there still isn't an apparent line where I'm growing them out even there's a couple inches of roots showing.

Buffy
September 13th, 2011, 12:48 AM
What color is your hair?
What color highlights you want to make?
How healthy and how thick is your hair?

These questions are crucial! I can't answer without knowing the answers to these first :) .

Fufu
September 13th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Any chemical treatment does affect (damage) the hair to a certain extent, pre care and after care is very important.

A few questions you may ask yourself:

1. What colour of the highlights are you looking at?
2. Are you looking for bold or something subtle and blend with your natural hair colour?
3. The thickness of the highlight? Do you want it all over your hair or only certain areas?
4. How daring are you with colours? (Similar to question 2) Hair stylists can be very daring and creative towards hair colours but not every customers can handle it.
5. Are you truly ready for a change? Once you did anything chemical to your hair, your hair is no longer virgin.
6. What steps will you take to care for your hair after highlighting?
7. Do you plan to do it again or just once and for all is good enough?

celebriangel
September 13th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Hmm. Well, I wouldn't - I've seen too many people with a beautiful virgin colour get highlights which...well, didn't really suit. Mostly this was when people got highlights which were substantially lighter than the rest of their hair.

Yes, it is bad for your hair. No way around it. However, depending on hairtype your hair might be able to handle it.

If you are going ahead, I would ask for *very subtle* highlights - so that your hair does not need to be lightened significantly, as this will cause less damage and be a more natural look. It will also be far easier to grow out if you end up not liking it.

Do go to a colourist you trust and communicate very clearly what you want. I have heard on here too many tales of colours/cuts going wrong because of the lack of these things.

PoliticalPilot
September 13th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the thoughts and opinions! I think for now, I'll not do it. My hair is pretty healthy and shiny as it is and I'm working hard to get it in good condition. So I see no reason to risk ruining all that work! :-)

racrane
September 13th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I was like you, virgin hair and all, and decided to highlight. Even with going through a lot of the safety precautions other posters talked about, my hair hated it with a passion. It was dry, crunchy, dull - not what I wanted it to be. Even now, my last 4 inches are super dry no matter what I do to make them "happy". I know you decided no but wanted to share my opinion.

Ashenputtel
September 13th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I LOVED highlights. My hair was gorgeous and multi dimensionnal. But the damage... I have fine hair so you may take that into consideration.

In my case the look wasn't worth having to keep my hair at SL or APL.