PDA

View Full Version : Going to Cry or Cut???? Or both????

ccmso12
September 12th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I joined LHC 4 months ago as I was interested in growing my hair out in a very healthy looking state. When I started I had healthy hair to begin with very few split ends my first S&D and on a shampoo and condition routine.

upon joinging I switched to a CO routine and clarify about 1 X per month. I also use a little jajoba oil in my hair from neck down. My hair stays FEELING tangle free and silky feeling with this. However I posted last month about expotentially increasing split ends scaring me to death! Well they are even worse this month! What is happening to my once lovely split free hair???? Some of my splits look like I sheared them through a straightener with 3-6 "splits" on 1 strand!!!
On top of that I can no longer wear my hair down because of this increase in 2-4" frizzies all over the top of my head, at first I was excited thinking this was 'new growth' now im sure based on my ends its probably breakage :(

So is oil bad for our hair? Is it sealing moisture OUT as Ive read elsewhere and giving us a false "healthy heair" complexion??? Do somepeoples hair just react badly to COing and light oiling????? At a loss here.

I do DMT/SMT a couple times a week

Plan to try my first Henna tomarrow . . .but am tempted to cut about 3" and return to my shampoo/condish routine>>>>:confused:

cheetahfast
September 12th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Did you uses cones or heat on your hair prior to LHC?

If so, the cones could have masked the ends being split.

ccmso12
September 12th, 2011, 05:28 PM
no heat, and minimal cone use, though I have now gone back to using cones after my VO5 kiwi lime to help control all the flyaways on my head **sniffle**sniffles***

spidermom
September 12th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I think the same as cheetahfast. If you were using coney products, they do mask split ends.

There's no reason that you can't use coney products if you get good results with them. As long as you use an SLS or ALS shampoo every once in awhile, you will remove whatever build-up might occur from the cones.

Also - oils and conditioner ingredients build up, too. If you haven't shampooed your hair in awhile, do so. Just use whatever shampoo you have on hand and massage the suds all the way down the length. That should remove the build-up, although sometimes it can take a repeat or two to get rid of it all. I remember a couple of years ago I thought my hair was dried out beyond saving it, then I was handling the big python, and he released musk all over me. It took 3 shampooings before I got the disgusting stink out of my hair, and to my great surprise, my hair was silky and easy to detangle again. I conclude that 1) I had a lot of build up, and/or 2) snake musk is good for hair. Maybe I should bottle the stuff! haha

I have no experience with jojoba oil, but my hair responds very well to coconut oil. I like to do a generous coconut oiling either the night before or at least an hour before I wash it. About once a week after washing my hair, I use CHI Silk Infusion, which has cones and protein. My hair drinks it up! I've got no problem with cones at all, and I'm in favor of anything that masks split ends.

P.S: Some breakage seems unavoidable, but I would guess that most of the short fly-aways that you are seeing are, indeed, newer and thus shorter hairs. They do love to stand on end and wave, don't they?

MinderMutsig
September 12th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I see you have wavy hair. The frizz could be your waves trying to pop out and asking for extra moisture. Wavy and curly hair is often dryer than straight hair and the change in wash method from shampoo to CO could finally give them enough moisture to manifest themselves. Maybe you could try and see what happens when you don't brush it after a shower and let it air dry.

If you hair dries wavier or curlier than you are used to it might be worth looking in to the curly girl method to see if it works for you.

As for the splits I second the earlier posts about possible damage that was previously hidden by cones or maybe needing to clarify to remove buildup. I wouldn't cut before trying these. If they work then great! If they don't, at least you know you tried everything.

spidermom
September 12th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Good idea Minder Mutsig! Try combing conditioner through in the shower and then let your hair dry without doing another thing to it. That frizz you see may be curls!

I like to rub some aloe vera gel or styling product between my hands and then smooth my palms over the surface of my hair. That helps to tame the sticky-ups.

Maktub
September 12th, 2011, 06:13 PM
1) absence of cones will show splits that were there but camouflaged

2) oil is good for hair, but try to use it on moist hair (rather that dry hair). It will help seal the moisture in

3) I see you condition a lot, but do you clarify ? Buildup can cause breakage too...

4) Did you tie you hair differently ? Were you more in the sun ? did you go to the beach or in very windy locations these past months ?

5) Did you trim at all these 4 last months ?

Best of luck !

tsenglish@ns.sy
September 12th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Maybe this is a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?. If your old routine worked, I would go back to that.
Unfortunately nothing can fix a split, only temporarily bind it, so you'll need a trim to prevent the splits from splitting more.

No one thing works for everyone. =)

MsBubbles
September 12th, 2011, 07:26 PM
You are at BSL now? I was unable to get from APL to BSL without monthly dustings because my pre-LHC hair had been handled roughly, highlighted, shampooed and blow-fried to death. Even though I stopped those things when I found LHC at APL, my ends didn't make it to BSL without breaking.

Also when you get to BSL you hair starts getting caught between your back and the chair...more opportunities for damage.

Don't panic! You'll get there. You just might have to do monthly dustings to keep the damage at bay. Feye's self trim method & a great pair of hair scissors.

leslissocool
September 12th, 2011, 07:48 PM
My hair HATES going cone free. I use a light sulfate and a coney conditioner and honestly my hair loves it. Before washing once a month I would damp my hair, put oil in it (make sure the oil you are using is not hydrogenated, use extra virgin) and put some heat (I have a heat pad for my back that I just put on top of my shower cap) and leave it on for one hour, then I wash with a light shampoo and conditioner. I tired going cone free and my hair felt like velcro, maybe your hair likes the cones? Cones are not bad ,some people's hair react better with cones than without so remember you have options.

Cones seal moisture in and out, so do oils. If you had some previous damage to your hair the cones WILL mask it. The oils won't.

Let me ask you a question, is your hair growing? If you hair looks visibly growing, I might add that the flyways could totally be new growth. May I also ask what are you using to clarify? Clarifying is a harsh process, I only clarify once or twice a year, or before I henna.

Regarding the henna, henna will cover your hair and will seal your split ends. I have horrible chemical damage yet my hair grow dramatically after I started to henna. So IMO you don't have to cut.

What kind of brushes do you use? I suggest use wide tooth brushes only, any other kind (even boar bristle) game me split ends. BBB is even trickier because you need to use it only like a polishing tool, if you brush hair it can cause breakage. my hair is way too wavy and thick to have a good result polishing.

ccmso12
September 13th, 2011, 06:14 AM
just using wide tooth comb. Ill get a good dusting this next week I think. I have been doing S&D's every couple weeks, and thats how I noted my ends increasing in splits.

Im going to Henna this afternoon so will clarify prior to. Im just confused because my hair does not at all feel dry :( Could it be my scissors??? They are hair cutting scissors from Walmart at 12$

Foxy_Booker
September 13th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I also use hair cutting scissors from walmart to S&D around that price and when I S&D with them the splits don't come back, unless your scissors are dull. Mine are fairly new and I never use them for anything other than cutting my hair.

I henna frequently and it has helped with my splits.

Alex Lou
September 13th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Your shampoo probably had cones too. But many shampoos are damaging, so it could have been causing damage and then masking the damage with cones. What shampoo did you used to use?

Like the others, I suggest that you go back to cones.

leslissocool
September 13th, 2011, 11:43 AM
just using wide tooth comb. Ill get a good dusting this next week I think. I have been doing S&D's every couple weeks, and thats how I noted my ends increasing in splits.

Im going to Henna this afternoon so will clarify prior to. Im just confused because my hair does not at all feel dry :( Could it be my scissors??? They are hair cutting scissors from Walmart at 12$

If the scissors are dull, they'll create split ends. Try cutting glass with them, that'll sharpen them.