PDA

View Full Version : Club Soda for chelation.

SilverMcFly17
September 12th, 2011, 05:35 PM
If this has already been answered please feel free to remove it. I've searched and searched here and google with no definitive answers to my questions.

I have extremely hard water and absolutely no money. I've heard club soda being thrown around as a chelating method. My question is how do I do it?

Would I use it as a rinse? I know there's something about breaking up the bonds of metal with the club soda. So in theory it would make sense to soak the hair. Right?

What have you tried and what works best? And how do I condition afterwards? I'm so desperate. Please help!!!

mora
September 12th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I think that ktani said that club soda does not actually clarify in this post: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1386287&postcount=2

For hard water, you could try miracle water (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=51184). It's fairly cheap since you only need a very small amount of the vitamin c and citric acid each time.

SilverMcFly17
September 12th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I have tried a version of the "miracle water" Lots of lemon flavored Kool Aid and water. It didn't do much my make my scalp itch and burn. And maybe lightened the red out a shade. Not worth the troubles.

I am not looking to clarify. I do that with baking soda. I'm going more for the chelation effect to remove the red rust and iron color from my hair. I have not dyed any of this red at all. It was brown with blonde highlights last summer. All of the color you see in the pictures is from the hard water. I've even tried dying over it and it does nothing.
My roots seem unphased by the hard water at all. So I'm on a quest to grow it out since I don't have the money for a water softener. I just can't deal with the red, it doesn't do much for my skin tone sadly. Otherwise I would just become a henna head and be done with it.

krissykins
September 12th, 2011, 06:15 PM
No, club soda does not clarify, but it DOES chelate. It will not remove all of the minerals, but it's pretty effective for certain minerals in the water. I would give it a shot and see how it works out for you :flower: It really helped my hair as well as the hair of others' to whom I have suggested trying the method. :)

SilverMcFly17
September 12th, 2011, 06:20 PM
krissykins What is your method? Please share details. Do you soak? Or use it just as a rinse? A pre or post rinse?? How do you condition? With proteins? With Cones? Rinse with ACV when finished? I told you, I'm so desperate it's absolutely unbearable. I'm almost ready to hack all but the 2 inches of new growth I have off.:cry:

mora
September 12th, 2011, 06:22 PM
OK. I thought in the same post she said that it does not chelate either. I think it's pretty cheap to just give club soda a try. I didn't much of an effect using club soda but the OP in the full thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55391) has some discussion of how they used club soda and its benefits. My hair is dark so I wouldn't notice any red color deposits from my hard water. It's also mentioned (http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-1-of-3-part-series-on-innovative.html) that coconut oil and argan oil chelate iron specifically, if that is your main concern.

SilverMcFly17
September 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM
:thud:Thanks for that thread post!! I have searched high and low for just that!!! You're a life saver. I'm going coconut/olive oil pre treatand club soda pre rinse.:cheer:

happybear
September 12th, 2011, 06:28 PM
You know, tried this a few weeks ago. I just poured it on my head in the shower (a cans worth) rubbed it in a bit and let it sit for a few minutes and rinsed.

I have to say, I didn't really notice much difference in the condition of my hair afterwards. Maybe I did it wrong? I have hard water where I live, I have lived here for 30 years, and this is the first time I have ever chelated, so I was expecting something fabulous...

SilverMcFly17
September 12th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Hmmm, maybe you should do more treatments? I only have a years worth of hard water to remove vs 30 years. 30 years probably wouldn't be removed in just one treatment.
I already plan on doing this biweekly. If I am hoping to see decent results in 3 months. If I don't I'll probably quit doing it.

mora
September 12th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I guess that "hard water" is not the same for everyone and may be composed of different minerals/chemicals that accounts for the variability in success that different people have with "chelating" methods.

I read a lot of threads when I was trying to get shampoo bars to work for me but I didn't remember that specific thread. Site specific google searches (I typed "club soda site:longhaircommunity.com") actually work better for me than the LHC forum search sometimes...

SilverMcFly17
September 12th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Oh the things this grasshopper has to learn yet about operating this site. You don't even want to know how long it too me to post this thread because I couldn't figure out how... Turns out it's really easy. Feel free to laugh at me now. Thanks for the tip.

BlazingHeart
September 12th, 2011, 06:51 PM
For what it's worth, if you don't like the red tones showing up in your hair, you may want to pick a different acid for rinsing with. ACV has a tendency of bringing out red tones in hair. Distilled white vinegar or lemon or citric acid (diluted, of course) may be a better option for you.

~Blaze

SilverMcFly17
September 12th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Blaze I know. I'm bad. I have given up on the red up until recently. I go in phases where I feel like fighting it and after some failed attempt I give up for a few months and revert back to whatever was working. I planned on switching whenever I remembered (read: not lazy). I am an all natural cleaner so I have loads of vinegar laying around. lol

I also reasoned that the red was so bad what would a little vinegar do?

mora
September 13th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Oh the things this grasshopper has to learn yet about operating this site. You don't even want to know how long it too me to post this thread because I couldn't figure out how... Turns out it's really easy. Feel free to laugh at me now. Thanks for the tip.
Oh, me too! I thought I was familiar with this place from google-directed reading for years before actually registering but there's still lots that I'm figuring out like how many posts it takes to not be a newbie or why the reply options are different sometimes (I couldn't find the smilies before to make my posts seem less harsh :o).

Anyhow, good luck with your club soda chelating. I hope it works for you (although I do kind of like the red tint in your avatar if that's what you're worried about).

ktani
September 13th, 2011, 07:10 AM
There is still nothing I have found that states carbonic acid is a chelator. It can break up or dissolve minerals like metals not chelate, which is different.

SilverMcFly17
September 13th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I am going to try it every two weeks and report my findings back here. We'll see. I'm willing to try anything. Anything to keep me from having to have serious salon chemical treatment that won't last or the extreme of cutting it all off and starting over.

Cassie 123
September 13th, 2011, 10:56 PM
This post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1777302&postcount=4) in another recent thread talks about dealing with hair stained red from iron. Perhaps you could PM swetiepeti to get the details on how she got the red out.

swetiepeti
September 14th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I PM'ed her back. Basically I used Ion's crystal clarifying treatment (I used two packs for my waist length hair and even that was stingy even though my hair is not real thick) and used Ion's Hard Water Shampoo to then keep the red out. Was not impressed by thier conditoner however. I left the crystal treatment on the full twenty minutes and I did a second one a couple weeks later after seeing how my hair reacted to the first as I was worried about damage and drying but I think my hair actually looked and felt better afterwards.

SilverMcFly17
September 14th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I've done the ion treatments and it did a big fat nothing. I used 4 packets for 25 minutes. Thank you for getting back with me. I will have to try your recipe asap! Thanks. :D

Bluegrass Babe
September 16th, 2011, 10:27 PM
First, I would suggest not using ACV. White vinegar is recommended for silver and blonde hair because it enhances the light color, whereas the ACV will make them redder over time, which you are trying to avoid. If the smell bothers you then citric acid powder will work just fine.

I also recommend buy a few gallons of distilled water. They are 80 cents at Walmart. The acid can be put in the jugs of water and be kept by the shower. I use 2 tsps. of powder per gallon but some people use just 1/4 tsp. You'll have to see what amount works for you.

Use one gallon plain for mixing with shampoo and wetting your head. This will keep your shower water off your head. It should only take a little water to soak your hair if you pour it over slowly and let it drip off your ponytail. Same for rinsing shampoo as along as it is well diluted. Use the acid mix as a final rinse (no rinsing out the rinse!) after you rinse your conditioner.

I use only the citric acid (1/2 cup) as final rinse. I will use plain distilled as mentioned above only when I visit certain relatives who have really hard water because it makes
my hair crunchy and tangly.

It sounds like a big hassle but it's cheap and sure beats going for the big chop!

I have heard of chelating shampoos, but never used any myself. I would be willing to try one if I were in your shoes.

Good luck. Please keep us updated on your progress. :)