PDA

View Full Version : How to minimize heat damage?

teal
September 12th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Since coming to the LHC I haven't used my blowdryer or straightener once, and I haven't missed them (or the work, lol) either. I'm pretty happy about that. I've settled into a routine that's working for now and my hair is in pretty good shape.

However, I would like to dry and straighten my hair for a length measurement, and I think I want to straighten it again when my brother comes home (October) to show him how long it's grown.

Any suggestions for keeping the damage to the bare minimum?

luxepiggy
September 12th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Thermal protectant would be your best bet, and a low heat setting. I like Aquage Beyond Shine! (^(oo)^)v

spidermom
September 12th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Thermal protectant, leave-in conditioner, and you can have the heat about mid-level, but move the iron down the hair at a steady, fairly rapid pace, and only once per section.

Cheveux en péta
June 7th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Since coming to the LHC I haven't used my blowdryer or straightener once, and I haven't missed them (or the work, lol) either. I'm pretty happy about that. I've settled into a routine that's working for now and my hair is in pretty good shape.

However, I would like to dry and straighten my hair for a length measurement, and I think I want to straighten it again when my brother comes home (October) to show him how long it's grown.

Any suggestions for keeping the damage to the bare minimum?

Too late for me. Mine is severely damaged from heat now I'm fixing to wack it all off. I bet I won't do that again.

Tizzles
June 7th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Thermal protectant would be your best bet, and a low heat setting. I like Aquage Beyond Shine! (^(oo)^)v

I love Aquage products! They're a very good brand, if you were going to straighten I'd recommend this plus a straightener that you can control the exact temp and you trust it. I'm sure you'll be just fine with TLC before and after, I doubt you'll do much damage at all.

Suze2012
June 8th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I haven't used heat for about or 4 years..wouldn't want to unless it was absolutely necessary.
I think if I really wanted to straighten for a measure I'd just straighten one piece of hair and lije people have said use a thermal protector.

I never did find one which I believed to work though and whenever I straightened I always had tiny pieces of hair from the ends which broke off (my hair was bleached back then though so wasn't in great shape.

LauraWolfhart
June 8th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Wash your hair with a good deep conditioner (preferably leave it in for a few mins) then rinse and blot your hair dry. Use Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan oil which is excellent for hydrating, nourishing and smoothing hair. It's also a very effective heat protectant. It's oil but it's very light, don't worry about it getting your hair greasy.

It's the best I've used so far and I also use their shampoo and conditioner.

When straightening, use a ceramic and tourmaline plated iron for gentler heating and try to stay on a low heat setting. If your hair isnt straight on the third pass then you can turn the heat up. If you don't already have a straightener then I strongly recommend the Karmin G3 salon pro styling iron. I use it at my salon and it's simply wonderful.