PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss

ItalianFlower
June 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM
A long, long time ago, about a year I guess, I noticed that when washing my hair LOTS and LOTS of hair came out. Not clumps, per say, just a lot of hair. I told my mom 'cause I was kind of worried, but she said it was nothing to worry about and went along with that.

I'm still losing a lot of hair, and have lost a lot. My junior year I had hair that fit a scrunchie with one loop--two was pushing it hard. Now I can wrap a scrunchie three times.

I hadn't actually thought about it until my cousin (shown in photo because her hair is beautiful. She's eleven, almost twelve, and has never had anything but SMALL trims.) came down this weekend. We went swimming, and took a shower afterwards to get the chlorine out. We were conditioning our hair, and I pulled my hand away, covered in hair as usual, to wipe the hair off and she looked mortified. "You lose a LOT of hair!" And I realized, yeah, I really do. She lost like...two hairs, for the record.

SO I was wondering...why is this? Is it because I'm a teenager and I have some weird horomone thing going on? Will my hair continue thinning? Will it thicken up again? Is there something I can do to help, or something that might be causing it? Is hair loss and stress closely related?

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/OneItalianFlower/2008_0628Hair0008-2.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/OneItalianFlower/2008_0628Hair0009-1.jpghttp://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/OneItalianFlower/2008_0628Hair00152-1.jpgIsn't it beautiful? ^_^. I was going to show her off regardless, and I'll get a question answered too! It's funny--she's absolutely BRUTAL to her hair, always has been. I wonder what it would be like if she was tender to it. lol

OR Cowgirl
June 30th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Yes, absolutely hair loss and stress can be closely related! I went thru a very stressful time last year and lost alot of hair. The good news is that, if the stress has lessened, you should be able to see new growth. I finally can, mostly when I braid it.

I'm sure there are others with more expertise in this area then me and hopefully they will see your post.

Mariah

julya
June 30th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I was under a lot of stress earlier this year, and lost a fair amount of hair. I went from a iii to a ii. I have been able to better manage my stress, and the shedding has slowed down, thank goodness. I'm hoping that my thickness will come back eventually.

Riot Crrl
June 30th, 2008, 10:52 PM
It could be stress or hormones but with that degree of loss I think it might be good to see a doc about it.

YumiYume
July 1st, 2008, 03:45 AM
hi!

that do sound like my hair to -_____-

everytime i take conditioner in my hair i loose a lot of hair. and i dont stress.. never, im so lazy-slow so i cant stress haha (if i do my stomack says NO calm down haha)...

now, ive been trying CO, and i lost a bit more than usually. I've heard that conditioner makes your head soft and you'll loose more hair and on me it seems to be true..

maby your cousin only took little conditioner to her lenth?

Gothic Lolita
July 1st, 2008, 06:31 AM
Stress can be causing hair loss. But you said that you have this problem for a very long time now. I'd go and see a doctor, he can figure out what helps you best. Maybe it's just your hormones, a lack of vitamin.... Changing the diet sometimes helps, too. Do you eat meat? A lack of iron can cause hair loss and many woman do have too little iron.

frizzinator
July 1st, 2008, 06:47 AM
I used to shed an average of 60 hairs a day for more than 30 years. This hair was not in my brush, but I noticed the lost hair in my hands after conditioning, just like you described. Six months ago I stopped brushing, well, actually I went from daily brushing to brushing only once every three weeks. During these 6 months, I shed no more than 10 hairs a day.

I never would have believed that brushing was the cause of so much hair loss. It seems logical that the brush would only be removing hair that would shed anyway, regardless of brushing.

I spend a lot of time combing and preening (drawing my fingertips down the length of my hair), and if shed hair was there, I'd be pulling it out with my combing and preening. Therefore, I'm convinced that brushing was causing my hair loss. Maybe brushing actually pulls on the hair, and it comes out later.

girlcat36
July 1st, 2008, 07:55 AM
This could be hormonal, or you could be low on iron. I had terrible shedding for years; I was borderline anemic. I have been clincally anemic for over a year, so I take an iron supplement.
Contradictory to Frizzinator's post, I have found that scalp massage and brushing my scalp with a BBB to reduce shedding, I guess by 'toughening up' my scalp.
Your cousin's hair is stunning, thanks for sharing the pics. I was always so envious of girls with 'effortlessly' beautiful hair.

sipnsun
July 1st, 2008, 08:05 AM
I have gone through periods of major hair loss, usually related to stress or poor diet. If neither of these apply to you, I would have to suggest you see a doctor for a medical oppinion.

Kirin
July 1st, 2008, 08:16 AM
Just a question, have you been using the same products during this time? Same shampoo or conditioner? Since you have been having major shed for a long time, I second seeing a doctor, but I also recommend trying a different product if you have been with the same one's a long time. Its possible you have developed a sensitivity to something in them.

lapushka
July 1st, 2008, 08:18 AM
Have you had your vitamin B levels checked? Esp. for vegetarians this is key! A shortage can contribute to, even cause hair loss. If you notice your hair loss lingers for months and months, it can't hurt to have this checked.