PDA

View Full Version : Frizzy!

rstuart1
September 12th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Hi there, i am newish to lhc. I have wavey hair which never stops being frizzy, i am looking for some tips please. I CWC plus Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream, i use SMT once a week. Any tips would be great!

rstuart1
September 12th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I have also tried Kimberlily's defrizz spray + aloe, nothing is helping.

coneyisland
September 12th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Hi rstuart1 and welcome.
First off, brushing curly or very wavy hair causes frizzing because it separates the hairs that want to hang together in curls or waves, so it is best only to use combs for it, never hairbrushes.
As your hair grows longer, the weight of your length will tend to reduce its degree of curling.
Humidity can also be a factor in tendency to frizz. In drugstores there are some hair products formulated for smoothing effects. There is also the Avon Lotus Shield anti-frizz product which is supposed to help keep hair smooth and water-repellent for days.
A porosity assessment and hair typing would likely be helpful about this.

coneyisland
September 12th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Here is a guide to hair types:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954

This item describes two ways to assess your hair's porosity:

http://public.fotki.com/Nappturall/porosity-testsink-o/

dulce
September 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Check out the curly girl handbook,sold at book stores.

Jessica Trapp
September 12th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Aloe vera gel helps my hair when it gets frizzy.

Tealpuffin
September 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I have exactly the same problem. I need to find a way of putting my old photos of my triangular hair up :/ I know It is bad for the hair and does dry the hair out, but i do straighten my hair. I am hoping that once my hair reaches BSL I Lil be able to wear my hair naturally x

rstuart1
September 18th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Hi rstuart1 and welcome.
First off, brushing curly or very wavy hair causes frizzing because it separates the hairs that want to hang together in curls or waves, so it is best only to use combs for it, never hairbrushes.
As your hair grows longer, the weight of your length will tend to reduce its degree of curling.
Humidity can also be a factor in tendency to frizz. In drugstores there are some hair products formulated for smoothing effects. There is also the Avon Lotus Shield anti-frizz product which is supposed to help keep hair smooth and water-repellent for days.
A porosity assessment and hair typing would likely be helpful about this.

Thank you very much i will give this a go.

I have exactly the same problem. I need to find a way of putting my old photos of my triangular hair up :/ I know It is bad for the hair and does dry the hair out, but i do straighten my hair. I am hoping that once my hair reaches BSL I Lil be able to wear my hair naturally x

I have to admit that this is only way i have found that means my hair is less frizzy also, my hair is just below BSL. I am glad to not be the only one :D

Here is a guide to hair types:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954

This item describes two ways to assess your hair's porosity:

http://public.fotki.com/Nappturall/porosity-testsink-o/

Thank you for the welcome also :D and the advice.

Cassie 123
September 18th, 2011, 09:16 PM
For me, the answer to frizz is to CO-wash, then let my hair dry as much as possible in a towel turban, and then to put my hair in a bun to dry the rest of the way. When I take it out of the bun in the evening or the next morning, I use only a horn comb, never a brush.

Hotrox
September 18th, 2011, 09:22 PM
lemon juice rinses has help my frizz amazingly.

1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in 500ml of water as a final rinse. Really makes a huge difference to me. I make in bulk once every few weeks, and use a ice cube tray, fill it with 1 teaspoon per slot and freeze. Then before I shower I pop one lemon cube in a cup of water and pour over my head as the last step. Really simple and effective :D

Cassie 123
September 18th, 2011, 09:29 PM

1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in 500ml of water as a final rinse. Really makes a huge difference to me. I make in bulk once every few weeks, and use a ice cube tray, fill it with 1 teaspoon per slot and freeze. Then before I shower I pop one lemon cube in a cup of water and pour over my head as the last step. Really simple and effective :D

I'll second this; it works and does not seem to dry out or lighten hair. More about it in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745).

Hotrox
September 18th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I'll second this; it works and does not seem to dry out or lighten hair. More about it in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745).

Thanks Cassie 123, I looked for that link and couldn't find it :)

Safira
September 18th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Deep oiling helps me with frizz. Also low ph with conditioner helps, hair gets smoother.

Hair porosity is quite important when you´re going to solve frizzies. It gives you tools to understand why your hair frizzes. It was very useful information for me.

rstuart1
September 20th, 2011, 03:26 PM

Thanks for that i will give it a go :D

Thank you for the link, im looking through it atm!

Red Rapunzel
September 20th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Re: Frizzy! I had to go to the ethnic hair section in Wallmart since nothing else worked for me. I bought a product called "Olive Oil Smooth-n-Hold Pudding" which is intended for ethnic hair and which, ironically, doesn't have any olive oil listed on its ingredient list. It helps smooth and straighten my hair and also gives it more weight which it badly needs. Apply liberally! Any frizz remaining gets plastered down with my great smelling orange-scented "got2b defiant" pomade.

rstuart1
September 20th, 2011, 03:48 PM
has anyone tried catnip? I am wondering where i can find this other than the plant..

rstuart1
September 20th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Re: Frizzy! I had to go to the ethnic hair section in Wallmart since nothing else worked for me. I bought a product called "Olive Oil Smooth-n-Hold Pudding" which is intended for ethnic hair and which, ironically, doesn't have any olive oil listed on its ingredient list. It helps smooth and straighten my hair and also gives it more weight which it badly needs. Apply liberally! Any frizz remaining gets plastered down with my great smelling orange-scented "got2b defiant" pomade.

I will try having a look around, however i am from New Zealand.. but haven't thought of trying an ethnic store.

mora
September 20th, 2011, 03:54 PM
has anyone tried catnip? I am wondering where i can find this other than the plant..
I've bought it in pet stores and I think you can also sometimes get it from the bulk section of health food stores. (It is supposed to be fresher from pet food stores since there is more turnover.)

I guess you've probably already seen it but there's a lot of information about catnip here (I don't remember if it addressed frizziness specifically, though) : http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476 and here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

Cassie 123
September 20th, 2011, 03:55 PM

I haven't tried it, but you could get it from an online herb shop, or from a health food store that has many herbs in bulk, or from a pet store.

Tealpuffin
September 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I have to admit that this is only way i have found that means my hair is less frizzy also, my hair is just below BSL. I am glad to not be the only one :D

I CO and shampoo every 2-3 washes but I find that my hair is tempormental, so it is more frizzy than not :( when you fing a technique which works well, please let me know x

MinderMutsig
September 20th, 2011, 04:45 PM
This stuff? (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/organic-root-stimulator-olive-oil-smooth--n--hold-pudding-hair-gel/ID=prod6007630-product)

It does have olive oil but not too much. What worries me more though is that mineral oil is listed as the third ingredient and on top of that it contains a sulfate and silicones. I wouldn't use that on my hair!

silverjen
September 20th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I've had good luck with applying a drop or two of jojoba oil on dry hair.

Mairéad
September 20th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can someone tell me what it means to have frizzy hair? I've always heard it could mean hair is too dry or that there is hidden waves. I'm wondering because my hair is finally getting to a length where some of my wave pattern is coming back and it is getting quite frizzy whereas before hand it hadn't been.

mora
September 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can someone tell me what it means to have frizzy hair?
I'd also like to know...

Cassie 123
September 20th, 2011, 07:29 PM
There are a couple of reasons hair can be frizzy. According to this article (http://m.npr.org/story/102067582?storyId=102067582&from=mobile), it can happen when hair's natural outer lipid (oil, sebum) layer has worn away, and negative charges on the strands of hair make them repel each other. Washing LHC-style (CWC, CO, or WO) does a lot to remedy this.

The other big cause of frizz is abused or misunderstood curls, as in the Curlies, brush your hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003) thread.

Mairéad
September 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hmm. :?

I CO wash almost exclusively. I clarify maybe once a month with dilute shampoo. I oil. I do many things that in theory reduce frizz. Could it be possible I'm more than a 1c? I probably wouldn't be able to know for sure until I have more length. It looks fairly straight right now but it likes it flip and curl up in all sorts of directions and when I did have long hair I DID have quite a few S-waves, and that was back when I mutilated my hair.

Perhaps I'll start combing my hair like a wave-y should and see if it treats the frizz.

1hunky5monkeys
September 20th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I wash my hair using the CO (conditioner) method. I mix honey into my conditioner before washing my hair with it, and then I add honey to my length before my final rinse. I allow my hair to air dry without touching my hair so that my wurls are not disturbed. The honey omits frizz in my hair and makes my wurls smooth & defined! Honey is the best frizz eliminator for my hair, which I live in a humid climate. You would not want to use honey if you live in a dry climate.

I have been doing this for about a month, and have not experienced any lightening of my hair from the honey.

MinderMutsig
September 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM
Hmm. :?

I CO wash almost exclusively. I clarify maybe once a month with dilute shampoo. I oil. I do many things that in theory reduce frizz. Could it be possible I'm more than a 1c? I probably wouldn't be able to know for sure until I have more length. It looks fairly straight right now but it likes it flip and curl up in all sorts of directions and when I did have long hair I DID have quite a few S-waves, and that was back when I mutilated my hair.

Perhaps I'll start combing my hair like a wave-y should and see if it treats the frizz. Yes it is! I thought I was a 1c too but as it turns out I'm closer to a 2c/3a.

Since you already CO I'd try the curly girl method. It's only a slight adjustment from your normal routine but the results might surprise you!

mora
September 21st, 2011, 11:19 PM
There are a couple of reasons hair can be frizzy. According to this article (http://m.npr.org/story/102067582?storyId=102067582&from=mobile), it can happen when hair's natural outer lipid (oil, sebum) layer has worn away, and negative charges on the strands of hair make them repel each other. Washing LHC-style (CWC, CO, or WO) does a lot to remedy this.

The other big cause of frizz is abused or misunderstood curls, as in the Curlies, brush your hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003) thread.
Thanks for the NPR link. I'd never seen that before. It was interesting enough to read more about specific chemicals in products that I forgot about the frizziness part.

Lianna
September 22nd, 2011, 04:16 AM
For me is oiling (required) and bunning (not required but makes it look almost perfect frizzless). I comb and brush with my tangle teezer, I'm wurly and the "rule" about not touching hair doesn't apply to me. I need to touch my hair or I'll go crazy.

Kiwiwi
September 22nd, 2011, 06:07 AM
I recommend The Curly Girl handbook/method, hands down.
Best thing ever.
Also for wavies, not just curlies.

rstuart1
September 24th, 2011, 07:08 PM

Having a read through these, thanks for the links.

Lianna
September 24th, 2011, 09:06 PM
This stuff? (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/organic-root-stimulator-olive-oil-smooth--n--hold-pudding-hair-gel/ID=prod6007630-product)

It does have olive oil but not too much. What worries me more though is that mineral oil is listed as the third ingredient and on top of that it contains a sulfate and silicones. I wouldn't use that on my hair!

It has more coconut oil than mineral oil, and mineral oil provides more weight to the hair, and some people need that. That's why it works for her (and probably for many others). I didn't find the product bad at all. Mineral oil, sulfates and cones are used with sucess by many people.

I recommend The Curly Girl handbook/method, hands down.
Best thing ever.
Also for wavies, not just curlies.

The styling requires gel though...which feels awful in my hair, and we can't touch the hair like..at all. Personally I think many wavies with natural frizz can do well with brushing, specially if oiled first, and even better if the hair was compressed for a little amount of time, like in a bun/braid (so the frizziless effect lasts longer).

The curly girl method definally isn't for everybody. My hair even grows slower if I CO, which I did more months, so I'm pretty sure about this. My scalp needs to be very clean or it won't show up for work. :p

MinderMutsig
September 25th, 2011, 06:25 AM
It has more coconut oil than mineral oil, and mineral oil provides more weight to the hair, and some people need that. That's why it works for her (and probably for many others). I didn't find the product bad at all. Mineral oil, sulfates and cones are used with sucess by many people.
I know, I just wouldn't use it on my hair. It makes no sense to me to put sulfates in a leave-in cream. :confused: Using it as a cleaser? Fine, if that is what your hair likes. I've used sulfate shampoos for years and had no trouble with them. But in a cream? Why would you put something that harsh and drying in there?

For weighing down waves and curls there are tons of other choices that could actually do your hair some good instead of mineral oil which does, well, nothing except coating the hair and stopping the good stuff from getting in. Shea butter, cocoa butter, mango butter or natural oils would all be better choices.

Silicone is just a matter of preference. I have nothing against them except I don't like them on my hair.

The ingredients in this cream just make no sense to me but hey, if it works for you then by all means, keep using it! :)

Lianna
September 25th, 2011, 11:29 AM
@MinderMutsig

The sulphate in there is acting as an emulsifying agent, I believe. It's not the first/second ingredient, the cream is still coconut oil based (there's more of it than anything else). It says to be root stimulator...maybe the they it works is keeping a fairly clean scalp aswell? That's how some growth aids work.

Mineral oil doesn't completly coat the hair (which is also a missunderstanding with cones), and can be used with naturals oils. It has protective properties same as some oils, but even stronger, some even experience that it's even stronger than shea butter (which alone wasn't enough for them). Yes, some people have "really hard to tame" hair, for a lack of better word (I don't mean to offend anyone).

I don't use the product, I would have to import it, it's too much trouble for me, plus olive oil or shea butter is enough for me.

ktani
September 25th, 2011, 11:37 AM
@MinderMutsig

The sulphate in there is acting as an emulsifying agent, I believe. It's not the first/second ingredient, the cream is still coconut oil based (there's more of it than anything else). It says to be root stimulator...maybe the they it works is keeping a fairly clean scalp aswell? That's how some growth aids work.

Mineral oil doesn't completly coat the hair (which is also a missunderstanding with cones), and can be used with naturals oils. It has protective properties same as some oils, but even stronger, some even experience that it's even stronger than shea butter (which alone wasn't enough for them). Yes, some people have "really hard to tame" hair, for a lack of better word (I don't mean to offend anyone).

I don't use the product, I would have to import it, it's too much trouble for me, plus olive oil or shea butter is enough for me.

I agree. The Sodium cetearyl sulfate is the 6th ingredient and I also believe it is being used as an emulsifier, not a cleansing agent and that it is not drying.