PDA

View Full Version : Advice re my next haircut please

Kapri
September 12th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Dear all,

I have thin, fine, repeatedly coloured hair (for the last 12 years) which I am colouring with Daniel Field and 'natural' colourants but is definitely affected by my long-term dyeing habit.

I am going to the hairdressers on Wednesday because I am trying to grow down some layers to a more one length or max one layer look,

I have an oblong face, high forehead and squareish chin and a prominent nose.

I have just tried to insert my pic but can't understand the technique on this site. I am used to browsing my word docs and attaching. Basically, I need a face framing style rather than a long straight style and my limit, I think, is my collar bone. http://beauty.about.com/od/bangswelove/ss/bangs3_16.htm

My question. There is a big difference in condition and thickness between the grown out section and the ends (from chin down to collar bone) which are still affected by the layers and damage.

It looks a bit like this pic of Kate Moss but if you can imagine that hair in bad, frayed condition on a long face....

A good friend advised me to get 2 or 3 inches off so that I can at least grow it down at approaching one length. If 2 inches came off it would be shoulder length.

Any thoughts about this trim? I also wonder about growing out the fringe for a thicker look but a fringe is good for an oblong face!

Kapri

Kapri
September 12th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Here is the link to the pic of Kate Moss/link to her picj ...not sure what the regs are on posting pics of celebs....!!

http://beauty.about.com/od/bangswelove/ss/bangs3_16.htm

Kapri
September 13th, 2011, 05:11 AM
I guess it is diffcult to advise without a pic...
I'm going to get 2-3 inches taken off and have it cut in a swingy long, long classic bob. It will be in much better condition and i will feel less like a spaniel.

celebriangel
September 13th, 2011, 06:55 AM
That's a good idea. Inverted, asymmetrical or angled bobs are hard to grow out, as well as ones with layers, but classic bobs are much easier. Make sure you make it clear what you want.

I would have a go at growing your fringe out, just so you can see what it's like. After all, if you don't like it grown out you can easily cut it back in! I do not think fringes are necessary for any particular shape of face; it all depends on whether or not you like it.

Kapri
September 13th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Hi Celebriangel,

I had an angled bob and the pointy bits at the front got so irritating that I chopped them off! I think you are absolutely right re classic bobs AND I love one length hair ..my fringe is bitty because it is cut that way and it seems to accentuate the poor quality of the ends too.

Thank you!!

Kapri
September 13th, 2011, 07:18 AM
BTW, I read on a fascinating site about the 'blunt snip' which was basically a thorough trim and then a blunt cut with the tiniest inversion .. a quarter of an inch ..for extra swing. I'm going to check out where I read that. That could be nice ...

I found this reference to the Morocco Method and the suble inversion:

'Morrocco Method Blunt Snip Cut instructions
(Anonymous)
2008-02-14 03:07 pm UTC (link)
Using the Morrocco Method, Anthony describes the Blunt Snip Cut. The end sides of the hair are left longer than the middle ends. It looks like a "subtle inverted smile" ... I guess like a soft, reversed U cut.

I was wondering if there are instructions or suggestions on how to achieve that.

A description of the Blunt Snip Cut can be found here:

http://morroccoforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=25'

spidermom
September 13th, 2011, 08:08 AM
If you can show the stylist a picture, that will help ensure you get the haircut that you want. Also, pay attention to what the stylist is doing. It's better to say "stop!" than to come back with a "and the next thing I knew..." story about how the stylist cut too much or put in more layers.

Kapri
September 13th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Spidermom...I loved the way you put that! Yes, I won't get caught up in chit chat and lose the plot!!

Oh dear, the strains and stresses of visits to the hairdresser.

She is super actually and has long hair but doesn't talk in clear technical terms about what she is going to do ..so she'll talk about putting movement into the hair, for instance. That I think is code for tiny little layers!! I have negociated a cut which is as thick and chunky as possible and the fact that we are growing down the layers. Should be ok!

MsBubbles
September 13th, 2011, 08:20 AM
My first thought was why are you going to the hairdressers if you want to grow your hair? But I suppose you are wanting them to trim off the ends so the layers can catch up? If so, please be very explicit with them that you do not want any layers cut at all, and that you want your hair to be all one length eventually.

I'm not sure if your hair is long enough to do a self-trim but I think that would help you achieve your goals faster in this case.

It sounds scary to think of cutting it yourself but the beauty of Feye's self trim method is that you can take off millimeters at a time to make sure you're doing it right. One big lop by a stylist and there's no going back.

But if you totally trust your stylist, that's great! I hope you are able to get him/her to do what you want with your hair.

Kapri
September 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I should add that what was I asked for last time.

This itime swingy long classic bob, grow out layered long fringe, possibly have a quarter of an inch inversion at the back to create extra swing. Side or front parting. I prefer side but one side, the right side is whispier and a side parting can create a very unflattering right hand profile. I'll ask her about that!

Kapri
September 13th, 2011, 08:24 AM
MsBubbles,

I am looking forward to self-trimming. I am about to become a student again and it will help enormously to have that financial freedom. I couldn't achieve the style I want at the moment becuase of the rather complex style that is growing out.

I actuallly checked the self-trim that you mentioned only an hour or so ago. I'd get a friend to help with it I think. Looking forward to greater hair simplicity! x

Kapri
September 13th, 2011, 08:33 AM
ps Having sorted out the ends I will have to think very seriously about the colour. I don't want to go grey. I love grey streaks and highlights on some women but not on me with my warmish autumn colouring. I know Diane Keaton went from light chestnut to shades of grey but she will have had an amazing hairdresser.

I currently wreck my fine hair by colouring the roots every 2-3 weeks because the dark chestnut contrasts so strongly with the white and because I lose colour in the temple regions. I am being a purist in every other way but my guess is that because I have been colouring with Tints of Nature and or Daniel Field every 2-3 weeks (roots only) for around 2 years and before that every 5 weeks, that my hair is pretty frazzled.

I will move to one of the colour discussion threads when the cut is done!

x

Kapri
September 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Well the cut is a success..thanks for advice to all!

My hairdresser carefully took off the amount we agreed. We both decided that am extra half inch off was a good idea. So I lost 2.5 inches of straggly hair that was the result of over layering and too much hair dye. It looks oodles thicker and swingier now.

She gave me two different options for growing out the fringe. In the end I settled for her angling the fringe so that it blends in and grows out more gently. She also very subtly inverted the hem to give it more swing ...it looks blunt and cut straight across but has fractionally more swing. She agrees that I have to move away from permanent colour.

My hair is now how I remember Angelica Houston's very simple fringed straight shoulder length bob with a fringe that is slightly shorter and softer in the middle. That is because she has blown dried it very straight. I don't tend to use a blowdryer much to preserve its condition and use clips to give it volume when it dries and finger curl the ends under.

xx