PDA

View Full Version : Formaldehyde releasing ingredient?

Dars
September 12th, 2011, 02:34 AM
So I bought a new shampoo today and as usual check out the label for cones before purchase. When I get home I always check any ingredients I'm not familiar with on the net and through LHC .

The ingredient I am worried about is DMDM hydantoin. Through an LHC search I didn't notice any one particularly concerned about it and it seems to be in a lot of products (under various titles). But when I checked other sites on the net there is lots of negative sounding things about this ingredient.

Apparently it is "safe" for comestic use by America's Comestic Ingreident Review Expert Panel. Should I accept this and use it or take it back? Just the whole formaldehyde thing is throwing me right off!

Thanks for your input in advance :) (http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/glossary.php?glossary=C#cosmetic-ingredient-review)

archel
September 12th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Have you checked it out on the Skin Deep website?

Anje
September 12th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't want water-based products that need to be refrigerated and go bad in a few weeks, you need some slightly nasty ingredients in there to keep bacteria and mold from growing in there. That's where all these preservatives come in. Furthermore, the body is able to deal with small amounts of formaldehyde. Better than single-celled organisms can, at any rate.

You're only going to be leaving it on your skin for a short time. If you lived immersed in this shampoo, ate and drank it, there would probably be more cause for concern.

Dars
September 12th, 2011, 06:25 PM
archel, yes I have. :) Thanks Anje that sounds logical and I've probably already used products with it in already. I'm going to have a look at other shampoo ingredients and see how common it is.