PDA

View Full Version : Is your hair making you fat?

Cania
September 11th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Saw this article yesterday:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2035746/Is-high-maintenance-hair-making-pile-pounds.html

Personally I think it's a load of rubbish. Okay, so I don't like getting sweaty because I don't like to wash my hair so often - it doesn't stop me exercising. I get lots of walking done during the day and also watch what I eat, so my weight is just fine thanks! Surely you don't have to sweat to exercise..

Any other opinions on this? I thought I'd at least share it for the comedy value if not :P

supbanana
September 12th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I consider sweaty hair the sign of an awesome workout, but have never once used my hair as an excuse not to do anything physical. When I belonged to a gym, it seemed that most of the ladies had fancy, higher maintenance styles.

I guess it makes sense, but as a fat lady even I feel it's ridiculous to cite your hair as a reason not to get exercise.

Neneka
September 12th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Well, everything can be a reason for not to exercise if you don't want to. :) The article says: "'When you're starting to exercise, you look for reasons not to, and sometimes the hair is one of those reasons." The reason can be anything. Like cleaning or studying or washing your dog. If there is no dirty dogs or dishes you can just find something else. I am very good in finding something else to do when I should study something I don't like. :o

C.H.
September 12th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Nah--I just accept sweaty excercise hair as a fact of life. Like bathing or wearing shoes.

Theobroma
September 12th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Hang on, these women are so obsessed with their appearance that they refuse to exercise for fear of ruining their hairdo? But at the same time they don't care enough about their appearance that they won't, you know, eat less for fear of ruining their figure?

Excuse me while I figure that one out...:confused:

Shesta
September 12th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I don't like exercising but I never speculated to myself hair to be a reason. Probably I should start to :D

bratz81
September 12th, 2011, 02:45 AM
dear good glory...what??
I can't believe there is a whole 'news' article on women not exercising because of their hair. I certainly don't stop anything I'm doing because of my hair.

Admittedly I don't go to the gym as I can't afford the membership but I walk 30mins to work 5 times a week and do yoga around 5 times a week too, and certainly don't think oh I can't do that in case my hair gets messed up

Rosetta
September 12th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Personally I think it's a load of rubbish.
Personally I think 99% of articles in magazines (especially so-called women's magazines) are a load of rubbish :) Just like this one.
For most of them I truly can't see why they're even published. Guess they just have to fill the pages somehow... :rolleyes:

misspurdy06
September 12th, 2011, 03:01 AM
That is about people who obsessively iron and use a lot of product. A lot of women with long hair and esp. the women on here go all natural so it's a non-issue.

Drynwhyl
September 12th, 2011, 05:32 AM
No, I'm fat because I'm lazy. I also have awesome hair because I'm too lazy to do something about it, so it's benignly neglected.
I agree with misspurdy, this is about women who straighten their hair 3x a day and use a ton of product.

I really love how "Dr Regina Benjamin, America's surgeon general, has issued a warning to women about their hair", but in her picture, she has short hair and she is rather voluptuous. :D

kamikaze hair
September 12th, 2011, 05:57 AM
as sad as that article is, i actually know many females where this is true. I went to an all girl school where everyweek we did some sort of physical activity, and at least half of the girls the "HIGH MAINTENANCE, WHINY" kind would never work up a sweat, too scared they would ruin their hair and makeup... I seriously do not get this, whats the point?... And about a quarter of the girls that go to my gym are exactly the same. I can understand if you've just come from work/uni/whatever and have good hair and makeup and look kind of glamorous but then THEY STILL DONT REALLY EXERCISE.... :confused:

Fethenwen
September 12th, 2011, 06:25 AM
oh boy -_- ...

well it seems to be more of an issue of high maintenance hair than the length, the more time you spend styling it the more it will suck to have to pull it back, and sweat during an exercise.

Water only washes are great, that way I can go running even if I washed my hair that very same day. I just wash of the sweat with water and avoid drying out my hair with too much harsh washing.

florenonite
September 12th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Isn't that why gyms have showers and hair dryers?

The author also seems to be labouring under the delusion that Chelsy Davy (who according to a quick Google Image search has roughly BSL hair) has 'ultra-long' hair.

littlenvy
September 12th, 2011, 07:34 AM
That is about people who obsessively iron and use a lot of product. A lot of women with long hair and esp. the women on here go all natural so it's a non-issue.
Right!
Plus, most of us know that its exercise that makes your hair grow faster.

missoj
September 12th, 2011, 07:39 AM
To most non-LHCers anything longer than shoulder length is long, hence the term ultra long. Some one (not on LHC) was asking opinions on what she should do with her hair, and showed 3 pictures of her hair length. Her picture with 'long' hair was about APL.

LadyCelestina
September 12th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Right!

Plus, most of us know that its exercise that makes your hair grow faster.

Quoted for truth :D

MandyBeth
September 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I think it might be somewhat true. It's based more on the chemical styling, flat-iron obsessed types, and I've seen that IRL, and they HATE anything that means they have to wash their hair, blow it dry, flat iron it strand by strand, then go on with life.

I do hardcore workouts daily, and don't care how sweaty my hair gets. I just slather in the conditioner, rinse it, oil it heavily, then braid it and deal with the greasy hair because I'm going to wash it again at home the next morning and I figure the conditioner and oil may as well do whatever magic they do.

proo
September 12th, 2011, 08:45 AM
This article is talking about a select group: high-maintenance-hair gals who workout at gyms. My ritual is a delicious scalp massage/braided updo followed by my morning yoga practice - the one enhances the other. The health and beauty of my hair has a huge affect upon how I feel about myself; improvement in my hair has motivated me to seek improvement through care and attention to details to other areas of my life.

noelgirl
September 12th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I take several dance classes a week, and can say that my hair is the last thing on my mind! I just put it in a bun, maybe with a bit of AVG to control frizz, and get on with it. My wurlies actually look better with a bit of sweat, gross as that sounds.

hendrickx
September 12th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Maybe I'm still too new to longer hair, but I love feeling it move. Sure, tangles suck, but I find myself moving and stretching more at this time then I have in the past. (shrug)

Night_Kitten
September 12th, 2011, 09:09 AM
For me personally my hair has never been an excuse for not exersising... there were plenty of other excuses, I can't deny that, but hair was never one of them...

sweet*things
September 12th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Having big boobs has been a problem for me, since it hurts to exercise and I have never been able to find an adequate sports bra, but my hair has never been a consideration.

luxepiggy
September 12th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Wow. They're really running out of article ideas huh? ( ' (oo) ' )

getoffmyskittle
September 12th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Actually, when I actually exercised, I did worry about my hair. It smells really sebum-y if I get very sweaty and don't wash it, and I hate to smell. But I also didn't want to wash it several times a week. I haven't read the article but it seems like a legit consideration to me. I've also often thought that if my hair were shorter/I didn't care about its health so much, I would swim more. Maybe that's stupid but some of us are indeed quite vain.

I'm OK with being high maintenance and whiny, though. :shrug:

Chetanlaiho
September 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Can't deny I haven't done that once or twice, but I am just lazy in the extreme so I would've found any excuse xD

Edit: my hair is definitely the reason I'm not swimming often. I |love| swimming, but it wreaks havoc on my hair and therefore I almost never go =(

florenonite
September 12th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Wow. They're really running out of article ideas huh? ( ' (oo) ' )

Sometimes I think this newspaper ran out of articles in 1895 ;)

Climber
September 12th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I let my hair dictate when I exercise. I won't exercise in the morning, because I don't want wet hair for the rest of the day. Exercising in the late afternoon/early evening works better for me because my hair can dry over night.

So, I guess I do permit my long hair to restrict exercising. I would rather begin my day with exercise, but since I won't use a hairdryer, I'd have to put up with wet hair. My hair is not "making" my fat, but I'm letting it "keep" me fat. Yes, it's irrational, but, at least I'm honest. Yes, I know I could wet-bun it.

Lady Dragon
September 12th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I feel this article isn't in the least bit scientific.
It's just a bunch of generalizations about people who work hard for a hairstyle...
I'm sure the author knows a few 'fat' women who style their hair but that correlation does not make for an accurate or factual study.

In short I'm calling BS on this one.

Mirsha
September 12th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Last time it took me two washes to get all the sweat and sebum out of my hair after exercising :shrug:

I plan my exercising with my washing schedule, and have an extended gym membership so I can work out till closing time (23:00).

In the gym itself, nobody will care about my hair. I'll look sweaty all over, red faced.. I'd just look like I had a good workout!

sun-kissed
September 12th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Wow, looks like I'm one of the only ones that agrees with this..
I do admit that since I have started taking better care of my hair I have started swimming less, because I don't want to turn my blonde hair green with chlorine damage. Before this year I have always been a 'in-the-pool-every-day' person, but now I get in maybe twice a week. And my hair is my reason. :rolleyes:

Not that I'm gaining weight as a result of this! I simply eat less since I burn less. It's an easy trade, I'm still healthy and slim because I eat good, healthy food, and walk my neighborhood every morning. But I am getting sick of my hair ruling my life, I think I'm about ready to just give up and get in the pool. >.<

Roseate
September 12th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I've also often thought that if my hair were shorter/I didn't care about its health so much, I would swim more.

Yes, swimming in the pool is one form of exercise I've really given up for my hair, and it kind of bugs me, I'll be honest.

But since my hair's gotten longer, it's just such a pain to swim: struggling to fit it all in the cap, getting wisps caught in my goggles, having to do a thorough wash in the feeble gym showers to get the chlorine-smell out... it's just not worth it to me anymore. I'd spend as much time in prep and cleanup as I do in the pool.

I don't mind running/weight-lifting/yoga with long hair; I can just do a scalp rinse if needed, or a dash of dry shampoo, but lap swimming is pretty much out.:(

Dogbones
September 12th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Honestly, from browsing this forum and looking around. You guys would cry if a lil wind blew the wrong way, reminds me of prom night when i cracked the window on the wrong side and the girl flipped out like she saw a zombie..

spidermom
September 12th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Pure poppycock!

Sakuracha
September 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I do worry about my hair and exercise. When I work out, especially long distance running, my hair tends to get drenched in sweat. I worry about over-shampooing it or how long it takes to dry. However, I try not to use my hair as an excuse not to exercise.

Aeltt
September 12th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Honestly, from browsing this forum and looking around. You guys would cry if a lil wind blew the wrong way, reminds me of prom night when i cracked the window on the wrong side and the girl flipped out like she saw a zombie..
Wind is evil you know.

I don't exercise because i'm lazy.
But if i were fat and/or needed to exercise, i'do do it because i think i like my body better than my hair.

racrane
September 12th, 2011, 11:52 AM
The only exercise I don't do because of my hair is swim. I still do other forms of cardio like running and weight lifting. I still get sweaty. I get over it. I hop in the shower and that's that. No harm done. I do like to exercise in the morning to "get it over with" though.

Malibu Barbie
September 12th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Wow, looks like I'm one of the only ones that agrees with this..
I do admit that since I have started taking better care of my hair I have started swimming less, because I don't want to turn my blonde hair green with chlorine damage. Before this year I have always been a 'in-the-pool-every-day' person, but now I get in maybe twice a week. And my hair is my reason. :rolleyes:

Not that I'm gaining weight as a result of this! I simply eat less since I burn less. It's an easy trade, I'm still healthy and slim because I eat good, healthy food, and walk my neighborhood every morning. But I am getting sick of my hair ruling my life, I think I'm about ready to just give up and get in the pool. >.<

Why not use a swimming cap? I do this and my hair is tailbone.
These kinds of article's enforce more sterotypes, it's sad. :(

Aveyronnaise
September 12th, 2011, 12:41 PM
My hair is trying to make me fat , it sneaks out of my bedroom at night , sneaks cupcakes out of the kitchen and feeds them to me while I'm sleeping. I keep waking up with frosting all over my mouth.

ilovelonghair
September 12th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Weren't buns invented to keep hair out of the way? I think the editors of that article just come up with crap to fill up space.

Intransigentia
September 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
No, I'm fat because I'm lazy. I also have awesome hair because I'm too lazy to do something about it, so it's benignly neglected.
:D

Quoted for truth!

(And I'll be back at the pool when it re-opens after renovations. Swimming is my favourite form of exercise, and I think I'll just deal with it if it limits my hair length.)

MissAlyssa
September 12th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Haha this is why I just go to the gym in the morning, and then go home and shower/do my hair. Problem solved! ;)

sun-kissed
September 12th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Why not use a swimming cap? I do this and my hair is tailbone.
These kinds of article's enforce more sterotypes, it's sad. :(
All swim caps I have tried have caused loads of breakage to my hair, even the fancy ones. I'm also allergic to latex, which makes it a pain trying to find one I won't react to. And then I also get extensive headaches from wearing them(Comes from having a big head, I guess. :o) So it's not like I haven't tried, they just don't seem to wanna work for me. :ponder:

Raqdoll
September 12th, 2011, 05:16 PM
My hair is trying to make me fat , it sneaks out of my bedroom at night , sneaks cupcakes out of the kitchen and feeds them to me while I'm sleeping. I keep waking up with frosting all over my mouth.

:D

Ah-hah! So that's where the cookie dough is going and why my thighs aren't shrinking....

CaityBear
September 12th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I can see how it would be for some people. Such as the ones who do put a lot of work into their hair. When my friend straighteners her hair (which she only does every so often) she won't go swimming even if everybody else is going because she doesn't want to restraighten her hair.

Personally, getting my hair sweaty won't do anything. Granted I won't work up a sweat right before I have to go somewhere because then my hair will be a mess but I usually have a quick shower after working out and rinse out my hair and I just let my hair air dry so no worries there.

agoddess2die4
September 12th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I'm pretty lazy about exercising, which is usually my prime excuse. :D Sometimes my hair does dictate my workout schedule, but not usually. The only times it does is when I have plans for a night out and want to look nice. I usually work out in the evening and it's more of the overall pain of having to shower and get ready all over again in general, not just my hair. Honestly, other than washing, getting my hair ready is the fastest part of getting because I just mousse, scrunch, and go.

edit: but my friends that do heat styling and such find it to be a huuuge factor because having to go through doing their hair (along with everything else) after working out takes a big chunk of their time.

lastnite
September 12th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I sweat alot with or without exercise, so it's just something I deal with. I'd be washing my hair every few hours in the summer if I had to worry about sweaty hair. It doesn't seem to cause damage or anything, so I don't worry about it.

I also agree the article is more aimed towards people who heavily style their hair, most people here use up dos so we would more likely get away with sweaty hair..

nellreno
September 12th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I live in Arizona, and my job is a lot of dogwalking out in the heat. Sweat is so much a part of my life now that I'm used to it. I'll rinse it off my body but it's never bothered me if it messes up a hairdo.

McFearless
September 12th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Well women who put a lot of money into getting their hair pressend and/or relaxed can be afraid of it reverting and so they avoid sweating. Its understandable, but health should always come first.

may1em
September 12th, 2011, 09:14 PM
No, my hair's not making me fat. That's my lack of portion control and difficulty sticking to an exercise routine. I had those problems with short hair, too.

TheCaityCat
September 12th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I exercise first thing in the morning before I shower/wash my hair. Problem solved.

I think the premise is ridiculous.

AshNight1214
September 12th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Hahahahahaha!!! That's hilarious!!! My eating is making me fat - nothing more! XD

WinterButterfly
September 13th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I avoid exercize because I'm lazy. But I'm not fat. 64 inches and maybe 125 pounds. Completely normal. And I have fairly long hair.

florenonite
September 13th, 2011, 04:58 AM

Y'know, sticking 'Honestly' in front of your post doesn't make it any less offensive. Some of us just wash our hair when it needs to be washed, brush it when it needs to be brushed, and tie it up when it needs to be tied up.

Deliciosa
September 13th, 2011, 05:56 AM
That article is hilarious, wonderful just brilliant and shows the format of the daily mail.

Regarding sports: I, from time to time do a bit Bikram yoga (hot yoga). And even I sweat like a piglet hehe. But still I dont wash my hair straight after that. The cool thing about sweat is that somehow it transports sebum really well...After a good workout my hair feels great....

So sorry daily mail this obscure theory is so not working on me...

For Dogbones: I am still searching for the constructive in your "critism" or was that just an observation? Because I cant observe the same. Sorry

Athena's Owl
September 13th, 2011, 02:48 PM
It's not rubbish in the slightest. many black women avoid physical activity because they spend a long time styling their hair and maintaining that style, which will be ruined if they get sweaty. Going to the gym for a 40 minute zumba class would mean having to start from scratch - and when your routine after a shampoo is to blow your hair dry with a round brush and then iron it with a flat iron to get it straight again, well, that's a *simple* routine compared to what a lot of black women do. And the natural hair of black women isn't accepted as professional enough, and those women who do give up chemical straightening often use heat methods to achieve the same look, which frizzes up in the presence of too much moisture.

I've noticed it myself. I've recently taken up cycling, and my hair is natural. my routine takes a long time - the thirty minute washing routine, and then the air drying, which is eight hours. I can't be washing my hair and letting it dry for eight hours on a daily basis, so I avoid exerting myself to the point where I could work up a sweat on non-wash days.

x0h_bother
September 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I thought this was going to be about long hair adding to the lbs. I guess being sweaty is a deterrant to exercise? I'm not entirely convinced.

Dizzy_zzz
September 13th, 2011, 06:18 PM
It's not my hair making me fat; it's the LHC!