PDA

View Full Version : VERY Oily after Deep Conditioning

OrchidRain
September 11th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Ok, so I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm brand new to the forum & trying to grow my hair eventually to Classic so I massaged some castor oil into my scalp as per my usual night time routine. Then I figured I should do some kind of deep conditioning for the length and ends. I mixed up some honey and olive oil and applied that throughout. After about 3 hours I tried rinsing with WO and then cone free conditioner. My hair is so oily still. It feels saturated with oil. At first, I thought it would just have to dry, but it's dry now and very slippery and appears damp.

How do I safely rinse out the excess oil? Do I need to use a clarifying shampoo? I know this is probably a no brainer to most here but like I said, I'm so new to taking care of my hair and I don't want to strip it.

On the other hand, my updo held really well today because of all the flyaways being smoothed out ;)

coffinhert
September 11th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Don't use shampoo! It will cancel out any benefits. You might have to conditioner-only several times so it can soak up extra oil, especially if you put a lot in.

pepperminttea
September 11th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Conditioner should do the trick. How long did you leave the 'cone-free conditioner on? It needs time to go to work. :) After a deep oiling I leave a CO wash on my head for at least half an hour.

lacefrost
September 11th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Ditto what coffinhert said. I would say until you finish cowashing all the oil out, now is a great time to learn new updos.

luxepiggy
September 11th, 2011, 08:04 PM
CO is usually very effective for removing oil, but you need to really saturate your hair with it - use much more product than you would for regular conditioning. It also helps to apply it to dry hair and let it sit for a while before rinsing.

OrchidRain
September 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Haha! I guess it is a great time to practice updos! ;) Thank you all! I'll keep trying with CO: using tons more & leaving it in longer. :)

Sundial
September 11th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Be sure to massage it in too! It helps to dislodge dirt and the massaging is good for circulation anyway. Hope this works out well for you

Chetanlaiho
September 12th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Be sure to massage it in too! It helps to dislodge dirt and the massaging is good for circulation anyway. Hope this works out well for you

This, I always massage it in really well and go over everything twice to make sure I got everything ^_^ (though lately I've been questioning whether that's such a good idea since my hair seems terribly fragile when it's wet)

OrchidRain
September 14th, 2011, 02:03 PM
You all are awesome! Thanks so much for the help. It's taking several CO sessions, but my hair's less oily after each one. :D It feels amazingly soft. Can't wait to get all the excess oil out & enjoy the softness & (hopefully) the shine. :)