PDA

View Full Version : What to do with VERY VERY dry and thristy hair?

Blackfire
September 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Hi, so the last three months my hair has gotten very VERY dry. I have grown it from a buzz with long bangs into shoulder length curls with short bangs. my bangs are bleached and I dye them all kinda of colors with manic panik but the rest is virgin. I only use heat on my bangs too. Im a fringe abuser I suppose, lol.

anyway, I have a few questions for the crowd on here because you guys are freaking genius when it comes to hair. I spent three months at the hospice while my mom was dying and comletely neglected my hair. It is now VERY DRY. Ive tried leaving condish on over night, also ausie 3 minute miracle, and coconut oil over night as well and it will just DRINK handfuls of those things and be dry again the next day! Right now Im sitting here with a mixture of avocado, banana, coconut oil, olive oil, lemon essential oil, and rosemary essentail oil. Im hoping this might quench my hair desert! so question one; any suggestions on a good moisterizing treatment that I havent tried yet???

also wanting to know how many of you have tried the garnier fructis triple nutrition line and what you thought of it? the triple nutrition spray? Im having mixed feelings but it may just be because my hair is so dang dry right now though. I want to try the triple nutrition version of three minute miracle but idk if I want to buy it without a few reviews, lol.

so im open for anything, any sugestions at all, to get my curlies back to their normal softeness!

Zesty
September 11th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Have you tried an SMT using a really moisturizing conditioner? There's a thread here about it if you don't know, but it's 1 part honey (microwaved to negate the lightening effect), 1 part aloe vera gel, and 4 parts conditioner. I do 1/2 cup condish, 2 tbsp honey and AVG for my waist length hair. It works better with a conditioner with no cones and not much protein. I use Tresemme Naturals, but you can use whatever conditioner your hair likes. If you did an overnight heavy oiling and then let your hair soak in SMT for a few hours, that might do the trick, providing your hair isn't really damaged, which it sounds like it isn't. Good luck!

jaine
September 11th, 2011, 07:52 PM
What is the climate like where you live?
If the air is dry like your hair, I would start with a humidifier in the room where you sleep. That does wonders for my hair when it's dry.

Teazel
September 11th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I'm not a curly, but I'd recommend SMT too. In my experience honey works miracles on dry hair.

But more importantly, have you used a clarifying shampoo yet?

luxepiggy
September 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Another vote for SMT! (^(oo)^)v

McFearless
September 11th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I'm really sorry about your mom :grouphug: I hope you're okay.

About the hair, you could try Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. Its a very moisturizing conditioner. Follow that with an oil to seal.

caiti42
September 11th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I use the triple nutrition conditioner and I love it. I have not used the other products in the line.

Blackfire
September 11th, 2011, 09:12 PM
okay, im going to sound like a very dumb person. But whats an SMT????

Roseate
September 11th, 2011, 09:17 PM
okay, im going to sound like a very dumb person. But whats an SMT????

Not at all, I know our search on the boards doesn't allow searches of 3 characters or less, so howyagonnaknow? Here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment. It's a good one.

I liked the triple nutrition conditioner, haven't tried the DT or spray or shampoo.

ETA: also, try clarifying first, then do your SMT. If that doesn't work you might try a chelating treatment, you might have mineral build-up or something preventing moisture getting to your hair.

Blackfire
September 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I was using a lot of cones as a quick fix when I was staying at the hospice. My hair tends to get DRYER the longer I dont wash it... I think for most its the oppisite! but instead of washing I would just cone it up with ani frizz crap. that may be what done it. so I will clarify, depending on how this homemade condish does, and then try that snowymoon thing. it looks pretty gooood.:cheese:

Magdalene
September 11th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I feel like our hair reflects what is going on in our bodies- sounds like you were in a very stressful situation for a while and your hair will reflect that. Sorry to hear about your mom.

I haven't tried this product, but a friend on another (non-hair related) board was raving about this:
Lusti Organics Olive Oil Hair Mayonnaise. She found it at the Dollar Tree of all places.

Lianna
September 11th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I suggest clarify, check if you need protein, condition. Test your hair with and without coconut oil, because this oil can make hair dry and crunchy for some people.

Your hair is chemically altered so it's probable that you need protein, but be certain by doing the stretch test: take one strand and stretch it, if it snaps quickly or stretches too much without reverting to the previous form, you need a protein treatment.

Alvrodul
September 12th, 2011, 05:02 AM
The dry hair can also be a symptom of buildup, which means you need to clarify. Have a look at your shampoo - you need one that contains SLS for this, or perhaps a special clarifying shampoo. This may vary a bit - for me, almost any SLS shampoo will work.
To get all the gunk out, shampoo two or three times, and then you can apply SMTs and other treatments. Your bangs may also need protein, so look into that as well - your hair will do best if you are able to find a proper balance between moisture and protein.
Have a look at your present routine and products, and see where there is room for improvements. A good routine for your hair doesn't need to take over your life, but you definitely should work it into a routine! Something that you do every day or week.
Good luck with your hair and routine! :)

celebriangel
September 12th, 2011, 05:10 AM
How do you currently wash? If you use shampoo at the moment, stop. It's just making your dry hair dryer.

Instead, switch to CO. Now most people recommend using a light conditioner for cleansing and a heavier one on the ends to moisturise, but for very dry and thirsty hair I and some others have had luck using Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition as both washing and moisturising.

Instructions for CO are on the CO thread, but in brief:

wet hair
tip head upside down so you have better access to your roots
slather your whole hair in conditioner - I use many, many handfuls. Be sure you cover all of your scalp, as well as your length, with the GFTN conditioner.
clip hair up, wash rest of body
apply a small amount of water to the roots, massage some more (you will get some lather; I believe this is the emulsifyers doing their work of removing sebum)
rinse

Then I'd wait till your hair is damp and apply a leave-in. GFTN is cone-free, and damaged hair is often fond of cones, so you might be better off using a good-quality moisturising leave-in which contains cones (not a serum - these do not moisturise, they just smooth out frizz). I'm sure some members who use these things will have some recommendations.

On this regime you'd probably need to clarify (shampoo) your hair every 4-8 weeks to prevent the cones from building up too much.

With a good moisturising wash routine, the deep treatments suggested here will do more good.

Of the Fae
September 12th, 2011, 05:47 AM
My best bet untill now had been henna, cassia (if you don't want to go red:P), and sometimes an olive oil with honey mask! Plus I use silicone conditioner, because it really helps when your hair knots up easily :)

MissAlida
September 12th, 2011, 06:32 AM
When my hair looks like it's in need of some moisture, I just put some yoghurt with maybe a bit of olive oil, and sometimes(in the summer mostly), some fresh watermelon juice.Yes, watermelon, you read it right. Just maybe 2parts yoghurt to one part juice to half part oil. I put it on dry hair(doesen't matter if it's dirty), and leave it covered with a shower cap and towel for 1-2 hours, the just wash it out with whatever you use. You can use only yoghurt as well, or you can combine it with bananas, avocados, whatever you want.:)

tigereye
September 12th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Another vote for SMT here. My hair is super dry, and it's definitely not the climate. It rains tons, and I'm always fighting to stop the mould forming in my wardrobe. I find heat dries my hair, and face, out more than anything, and I have found it helpful to leave my window open a crack at night, because otherwise the residual heat from the coal fire makes it stuffy. I just have dry hair, and my scalp doesn't produce much oil either so I try to do a deep treatment every week on wash day (washing my hair only once a week definitely helps). I find that the two things I have tried so far that work best are henna glosses (with tea; no lemon) and SMTs.
I seem to remember that the recipe was something like 4 parts conditioner, 1 part aloe vera, and 1 part honey. The actual thread has a list of which ones people have found that work best, and which ones are not so good.

MandyBeth
September 12th, 2011, 07:05 AM
A vote for a modified SMT - the conditioner and honey only. The drier it gets outside, the more the aloe makes for frizz for me.

Clarify first, then soak the SMT in and leave until you can't stand it any longer.

CarpeDM
September 12th, 2011, 07:08 AM
For me, the best cure for really dry hair is an olive oil soak overnight. I noticed you mentioned olive oil but in a mixture form. Try JUST olive oil overnight and see how that works.

Maktub
September 12th, 2011, 07:16 AM
A vote for a modified SMT - the conditioner and honey only. The drier it gets outside, the more the aloe makes for frizz for me.

Clarify first, then soak the SMT in and leave until you can't stand it any longer.

I think this is what I would do too !

1) Clarify
2) Deep moisturizing treatment
3) Air dry

Othala
September 12th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Overnight baggy treatment!

Trish in SC
September 12th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Lianna mentioned the strand test, which tellls if your hair needs protein. I just stretched out a hair, and it stretched for a long time and then got thinner. Finally it broke.

So, can someone interpret the results for me?

Also, what ingredients would indicate protein in a shampoo, condish, or in whatever hair product? I know keratin & silk protein are both proteins. What else?

Thanks for all the help....We newbies need it! :rolleyes:

MandyBeth
September 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Lianna mentioned the strand test, which tellls if your hair needs protein. I just stretched out a hair, and it stretched for a long time and then got thinner. Finally it broke.

So, can someone interpret the results for me?

Also, what ingredients would indicate protein in a shampoo, condish, or in whatever hair product? I know keratin & silk protein are both proteins. What else?

Thanks for all the help....We newbies need it! :rolleyes:
That stretching is normal.

The hair testing to see what is needed article is here - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

Here, also by Kirin, is the protein recovery article -
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17

Chetanlaiho
September 12th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I use the triple nutrition conditioner and I love it. I have not used the other products in the line.

Same here, I saw the other products when I was in Germany but they all had cones >_<

Trish in SC
September 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the links, MandyBeth!

spidermom
September 12th, 2011, 11:25 AM
One of the best treatments I've ever seen for really parched hair was to generously apply olive oil, cover with a shower cap, then cover that with a knit cap or scarf or wig. Let it work for as close to 24 hours as you can. Then gently wash your hair. It would probably be good to do a CO (conditioner only - saturate your hair with it and let it marinate for about 30 minutes) because conditioner binds with oil and removes it better than shampoo does for some people.

I also like the Joico KPak Reconstructor, which is both a protein and a moisture treatment. My stylist sits me under the hood dryer with a plastic cap over the KPak-saturated hair.

Blackfire
September 12th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I have done over night olive oil, and coconut soaks. with both I woke up the next day with my hair having drank all the oil! I have not tried an SMT yet, but I will as soon as I can. When I posted this I was sitting there with avo banana condish on my head and wondering how that would help. I think it did the trick! my hair is atually holding the moisture and feeling pretty soft today! I had to put it all up in a messy bun where all the curls stick up like a pokypine just because they look so soft and pretty today! I will let you guys how the SMT goes not week..... that is if I cant find some honey from a local beekeeper that isnt too pricey.

Blackfire
September 12th, 2011, 02:03 PM
yeah, I tried CO washing and it really didnt work for me. I do have curly hair, but it just gets wierd, matted, and kinda flat looking when I try to CO wash. I did it for about a week, and it just wasnt working.
Ive also tired to stretch washings out how long your suposed to for curly hair and that doesnt work either.
I use very diluted shampoo though, and I lightly oil before every shampoo. I do have to wash every 3 days or so. thats about the longest I can stretch my washes. lol

spidermom
September 12th, 2011, 02:26 PM
yeah, I tried CO washing and it really didnt work for me. I do have curly hair, but it just gets wierd, matted, and kinda flat looking when I try to CO wash. I did it for about a week, and it just wasnt working.
Ive also tired to stretch washings out how long your suposed to for curly hair and that doesnt work either.
I use very diluted shampoo though, and I lightly oil before every shampoo. I do have to wash every 3 days or so. thats about the longest I can stretch my washes. lol

Same with me. Now I CWC with diluted shampoo about every 3 days, 4 if I'm lucky. I tried to wash my hair once per week, but it made me miserable to have my hair stuck to my scalp with sebum.

MandyBeth
September 12th, 2011, 08:56 PM
With overnight oiling, are you bagging your hair? If not, a good deal winds up off your hair. BTDT, opps. Doing an SMT tonight, my hair is cranky.

Safira
September 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I´m sorry about your mother =(
Was she in hospital? Because I´ve noticed that some hospitals have very very dry air. I can feel it in yes and skin, also hair.