PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable dyes over henna

coffinhert
September 11th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Does anyone know how long a veggie dye (like Manic Panic, Punky Colors, or Fudge Paintbox) will last if I do it over my henna? I might have to look professional for something in 4 months, and don't want an unnatural haircolor (henna is ok). I was just going to dye red over the henna. My hair is dark brown with many layers of henna over it, if that helps. Will veggie red fade out completely or always have residue? Thanks.

Calaelen
September 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
It is highly likely, especially due to the coating nature of henna, that it will fade out completely over time. I suspect it would fade out faster, even.

vamq
September 12th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I recently used manic panic (wine red or something) over my henna, on some streaks, and after 4 weeks, it barely even visible :)

BelleBot
September 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I have the opposite experience. I use Directions on my henna'd hair and apart from the roots it has lasted ages, a good 6-8 weeks. I guess it depends how you treat your hair (ie how often you wash it, what you wash it with) and also your how your hair responds to dye, it's all individual.

ilovelonghair
September 12th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Vampire Red was nearly impossible to get rid of, half a year I think. It made my hair kind of purplish and not in a good way.

vamq
September 13th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I just had a few streaks, so that might also explain why it's not visible for me anymore. I also use shampoo, and my hair is quite a lot darker than in my avatar.

Just to mention :)

ladylovecraft
September 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I used to use special effects nuclear red and blood red -- over/with henna. It seemed to fade a little faster for me, but not much. I would up dyeing over it anyway with a more natural color and everything came out perfectly even regardless of what strange concoction of dye was on my head in the stages, so I think you'll be okay.