PDA

View Full Version : I can't see to S&D - What's Your Technique?

Dorothy
September 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I'm quite nearsighted and getting older, so I can't see well up close either. I find s&d very difficult, I grab a handful of hair and can see a split, but then it's very difficult to get the scissors to the split, I can't figure out which hairs are closer or further, it's a 3D puzzle I can't seem to solve. Do any of you ladies and gentlemen have a technique that helps with this? My hair is mid back length.

see_turtle
September 11th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I have bad vision as well and I've found I can only s&d in the car in full sunlight. Anywhere else i can not see the splits to snip them. I do small sections at a time also and I find my eyes get strained pretty quickly so I never spend a lot of time doing it. Sorry to not be more helpful:pumpkin:

spidermom
September 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM
It's easiest to snip the splits that pop out of my braids.

swearnsue
September 11th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I can see better up close without my glasses and with a very bright light on the subject. When I want to see details really well I borrow my hubby's magnifying visor thing. It has velcro adjustment so if fits on your head and it has different levels of magnification depending upon which lenses you lower in front of your eyes. Let your eye doctor know the problem you're having with depth perception because it is common when you need new glasses.

jeanniet
September 11th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I'm nearsighted, but for some reason my close-up vision has gotten much better as I've aged. I S & D without my glasses on. Try turning on a bright lamp and holding small sections of hair up to the light. Having darker hair does help. Using a computer screen works, too.

Crysta
September 11th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Possibly try to get someone you trust very much to help or do it for you, perhaps a fellow long hair? or someone who's open to/aware of S&D?

Jen123
September 11th, 2011, 07:06 PM
The only way I can S&D is to look at my hair using a mirror. The hair reflected in the mirror is far enough away that I can actually see it.

LornaDoone
September 11th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I find that it is easiest to see splits in full sunlight or in front of my computer screen. If I bring up a blank Word document on my computer and use that as a backdrop to S&D, it is much easier. :)

supbanana
September 12th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I find it's best to do it in a dark room in front of a bright computer screen, and just hold up a small bunch of strands at a time. Each one is illuminated and you won't have to guide your scissors through a maze of hair to get that one split! Granted, it takes a little longer to do ~20 strands at a time, but for me it's becoming a nightly ritual. :)

Modarunner
September 12th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I have light hair so normally for me I use a black background with a bright light to find the splits and I try to fan out the ends so it's easier to get to the splits with my scissors.

cindy58
September 12th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I don't S & D -- that's an option too. I do trim every now and then.

Dorothy
September 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Thank you all for this assistance, I will try all of this, I think, except trimming. I'm trying to avoid trimming, I'm close enough to waist to taste it.

Erika_92
December 15th, 2011, 02:15 AM
daylight helps a lot and I alsow find it easier to see the splits/white dots with a black background