PDA

View Full Version : 15 alternative uses for your hair dryer

kwaniesiam
September 11th, 2011, 03:44 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/15-unusual-uses-for-your-hair-dryer-2539148/

Saw this article and thought LHC would appreciate it, especially the ones who have stopped heat styling and have no use for their dryer anymore lol:

I use my flat iron for quickly smoothing out wrinkles in clothing too.

spidermom
September 11th, 2011, 05:09 PM
You can use it to thaw out a frozen drain, if you have enough extension cord to get under your house with it.

AlexiaBlue
September 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I enjoyed that! Thanks for posting! I especially like the idea about using it to dust hard-to-dust items. It's a lot cheaper than the little cans of canned air that I use to dust my computer keyboard, so I will definitely be giving that a try. :)

LornaDoone
September 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I use my hair dryer to warm up my socks before I put them on in the winter. :pinktongue:

Mesmerise
September 11th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I use mine to dry clothes that get wet (not fully... but you know, if you have to clean a spot off your top and it's wet...).

I also use it to defrost my freezer (not frequently :P).

And I've been using it lately to make sure my toenail is very dry after washing (as I seem to have a fungus of some kind in it :mad:).

luxepiggy
September 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Cute! While I still use my hair dryer for my hair, I also find it handy for other things, like:

warming up my clothing before getting dressed in the winter
warming up the sheets before getting in bed in the winter
drying my fine jewelry after cleaning

Viechen
September 11th, 2011, 09:06 PM
hm, does using the warm setting to VERY CAREFULLY dry your cat after a much-hated bath count as an alternate use? :P I use it to warm my socks in the winter as well... :)

SilverMcFly17
September 11th, 2011, 09:21 PM
hm, does using the warm setting to VERY CAREFULLY dry your cat after a much-hated bath count as an alternate use? :P I use it to warm my socks in the winter as well... :)

Pretty sure that would cause me to be assassinated in my sleep by my cat. :guns:

Medusa
September 11th, 2011, 09:51 PM

I don't see why not, I've used a dryer to very carefully dry my cockatiel after a bath before!

Pierre
September 11th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I enjoyed that! Thanks for posting! I especially like the idea about using it to dust hard-to-dust items. It's a lot cheaper than the little cans of canned air that I use to dust my computer keyboard, so I will definitely be giving that a try. :)
I don't have a hair fryer, but I've used a bicycle pump for that. :)

Palla
September 11th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I love it! :)

I keep my hair dryer around for art projects -- sometimes I'm too impatient for certain things to dry. And while my flattening iron does still get use for my bangs, it's also great for de-wrinkling little places between buttons, etc on dress shirts and blouses.

Arashi
September 11th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I admit that when I have a wrinkle in a skirt I'm wearing, instead of taking it off and attempting to iron it(kind of difficult with gathered skirts) I dampen it with a spray bottle and then use the hair dryer on it. Works great! :p

I still keep it around for my hair, though.. fringe/bangs only. Actually, I recently ordered a miniature one, since I do only use it for my bangs, having a little one just makes sense. The ideas in that link will certainly be useful for the big one.

Growin' It
September 11th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I keep mine so my husband can use it for home maintenance. You know, when he says, "Where do you keep the hairdryer? I want this to set in less than an hour".

Elysium
September 12th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I don't actually own a blowfryer, but I've been known to use my straighteners to quickly dry a pair of socks if I'm in a hurry :D

Rusticular
September 12th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Luckily there's a 'cool' setting, so I may use it if I'm extremely sick so I don't get worse with a cold wet head, but I've never really used my hairdryer for my hair. xD I've used it to set araldite glue, dry my clothes, style my giant stuffed ponies hair, etc..

MandyBeth
September 12th, 2011, 09:12 AM
We use it to dry off chickens who get a bath. But they enjoy the bath and blow-dry, so that's probably a different discussion.

The cats would probably "murderize" me if I tried that on them.

freecelt
September 12th, 2011, 03:15 PM
We also use it to dry our air filter when we clean it :D

wooliswonderful
September 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I've used it on cool to ensure baby's bum is dry when treating diaper rash. :)

EdG
September 12th, 2011, 08:30 PM
A hair dryer would be pretty useful on heat shrink tubing (used to secure wires in electronics).
Ed

Anje
September 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I used to live in a second floor apartment above a 92-year-old woman who kept her place hot, so I often left my bedroom window open in the winter. (Mind you, this was northeast Wisconsin, too!) Occasionally it would get cold enough out that I wanted to shut the window -- my hairdryer got quite a lot of use thawing the chunks of ice that formed on the frame so I could get the thing shut.

My father always used the family hair dryer to inflate the air mattress. When I'm not out camping, I use a shop-vac for that!

Jenn of Pence
September 12th, 2011, 09:56 PM
A hair dryer would be pretty useful on heat shrink tubing (used to secure wires in electronics).
Ed

I love heat shrink! I don't know if my dryer would get hot enough to shrink it, though; the industrial blow-dryer-looking heat gun we have at work will seriously do damage if you get your poor fingers in the way!

So, as far as the cake icing...are you supposed to hit it with the "cool" setting to help it set? 'Cause hitting it with heat just seems counterproductive, as it will remelt the butter/shortening.

QueenJoey
September 12th, 2011, 11:36 PM

I do that with my dog, she loves it! She hates baths, but gets so excited when I pull out the blowdryer for her. She starts jumping around and getting all crazy. So cute!

CornishMaid
September 13th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I use the hairdryer to help me when I am re-oiling my Barbour jacket. Saves pounds by me not sending it back to them to get it re-oiled.;)

Apple_Betty
September 13th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I use mine to dry the steam off the bathroom mirror. :)

julliams
September 13th, 2011, 06:10 AM
I bumped into a telegraph pole when parking one time and it caved in the bumper bar (plastic). My husband removed it, heated it with the hair dryer and popped it back. No need for a further repair!!

Jenn of Pence
September 13th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I bumped into a telegraph pole when parking one time and it caved in the bumper bar (plastic). My husband removed it, heated it with the hair dryer and popped it back. No need for a further repair!!

Wow. Impressive. I love it. :)

BlazingHeart
September 13th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Anje, you beat me to mentioning that they're good for blowing up air mattresses - I couldn't believe that list didn't include that!

Mine lives in my studio as I use it so often for art-related stuff. The dog hates it enough that I don't use it on him unless it's cold out and we really need to head out before he's had time to dry after a bath. It also gets used to put up plastic over the windows in the winter to help with heating costs and drafts.

~Blaze

Mesmerise
September 13th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I use mine to dry the steam off the bathroom mirror. :)

Oh yeah, I forgot this one, and I've been doing it forever!

beez1717
September 14th, 2011, 02:28 AM
I use mine to defog my sink mirror after taking a nice and stream filled shower. I also dry the parts of my body that a towel doesn't work well for such as my armpits.

Purdy Bear
September 14th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Talking of dogs, one of mine used to love to try and catch the air coming out of the nosel when set low. He was a GSD x so was always wet, the breed just lovvvvvvvvve water.

If in parts they are a great source of bits of Sci Fi models.

Can be used for defrosting car door locks in winter.