PDA

View Full Version : Ah, I don't know what to do....

Evie
September 11th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Hello folks

I am not feeling happy with my hair at the moment....I don't know what to do. I am trying to gently lighten my henndigo so I can grow out my natural colour (blonde) and although my hair looks pretty good (slight damage still at the ends but nothing that a mix of protein treatments, cones and coconut oil can't hide) but nothing bad. I like updos, and I love hairtoys.

But I've found myself looking at, and saving, pictures of collarbone length long bobs, shorter bobs, all blonde, and this usually happens before I try something serious...

I guess I am wondering - do any of you get this occasional 'itch' to change your hair? Maybe I'm just not cut out for super long hair? I don't know :confused: If you do feel like making change, what helps? Do you do it? Do you regret it?

I am going through a lot of stress personally at the moment, and the desire to change my hair does often accompany this, just curious how the rest of you handle it....

spidermom
September 11th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I remind myself of my goal. It's good for character to achieve one goal before changing the plan.

Evie
September 11th, 2011, 08:04 AM
That is a good point. I am thinking maybe this is where I went wrong so often with my hair in the past. I had been planning on a tiny trim at Christmas to put a bit more 'shape' back into it (so it might look good worn down again) so I will try and hang on until then....

Thanks Spidermom

MermaidOH
September 11th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I find times of stress are not always the best times to make drastic decisions about ones hair. I learned this the hard way, going from red to blond to red to blond to red to blond to red and ending up with a head full of really dry damaged hair not to mention the "I'm bored and stressed lets cut my hair"...so not good. Hang in there and remember the goal you started with. Best of luck!:D

Evie
September 11th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I learned this the hard way, going from red to blond to red to blond to red to blond to red and ending up with a head full of really dry damaged hair

Oh yes, this is me to a T! I have done blonde to dark brown to blonde.....this is why I'm doing it one final time to get rid of the dark colour in the end and revert to what is natural.....

I do really need to stick with it this time. I am going to try just caring for it, and sticking it up and ignoring it. I think it does need reshaping, my attempts and trimming out some damage have resulted in some rough ish layers that, whilst they don't look awful, don't look as good as they could, and I have not had any reshaping done in perhaps 2 years so maybe if I trim it at Christmas, I can then wear it down again too which I do enjoy and am finding hard to do at the moment because it looks like a big thick triangle ;)

ellen732
September 11th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I think if you truly want to grow out your henndigo and go back to blonde it would be easier to achieve if you cut your hair eventually, considering it is now so much darker than your natural. But I always go with "When in doubt, don't". I see so many great hairstyles out there and I do think of cutting, but I know for me it would involve too much work getting my hair to look like these styles every day, including flat ironing and blow drying.

pinchbeck
September 11th, 2011, 10:05 AM
This is a tough one and I have been there during my attempts to grow my hair longer (with the exception of colouring and heat styling). It always ends up at mid back length and I get urges to cut it a lot shorter when people make comments about how much better I would look if I cut it and highlighted it. People have said I should cut my hair into a Jennifer Aniston hair cut. Everyone in my family hates my hair (my mom, sister, son, bf, and others not so close to me).

Sometimes I feel the pressure. One guy said my hair may look good at the back, but consider how it looks on the front. It takes a lot of strenght for me to say I am going to stick with keeping it longer than the current mainstream hairstyles that do look beautiful and feminine. Long hair is a large part of who I am and I hope to allow myself to reach a hair goal not reached before.

I think there is nothing wrong with reshaping hair as it grows. It's nince to have the option of wearing it down and having it look good. Reshaping doesn't mean cutting it off, it just means taking off wee bits along the way.

Evie
September 11th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I think that if I could wear it down and it looked nice, I would probably enjoy it more. I guess this means I might not get much beyond BSL ever, so that it is easy and works well down....

For the colour, I guess what would be best is to keep going, touching up the roots with a very gentle developer and colour, and then maybe when I have got that artificial dye down to my collar bone, cutting then, and using something like colour oops. Arrgghhh that just takes patience! :justy:

pinchbeck
September 11th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I think that if I could wear it down and it looked nice, I would probably enjoy it more. I guess this means I might not get much beyond BSL ever, so that it is easy and works well down....

For the colour, I guess what would be best is to keep going, touching up the roots with a very gentle developer and colour, and then maybe when I have got that artificial dye down to my collar bone, cutting then, and using something like colour oops. Arrgghhh that just takes patience! :justy:Keeping your hair in a shape you like is possible when growing it longer. I have done it before. My hair was once as short as a man's, so I have experience with this. It will grow while you continually rectify the shape and will look great when down.

Are you referring to temporary hair dye? If so, it just has to be maintained and is less damaging. I used it in my 20's when I was going back to my natural hair colour. Someone said (back then) that temporary dye fills in the hair cuticles and makes it softer? Has anyone heard of this?

Foxy_Booker
September 11th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I get this feeling all the time, and it usually ends in decisions that I am still regretting.:(

What I try to do is if I'm feeling hair crazy I just stop thinking about my hair all together and sleep on it because I know my mind is likely to change again. Either that or I will do my hair really nice and then seeing it look good can change my mind.

swearnsue
September 11th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Never make irreversible decisions during stress! Don't sell your house, buy or sell stock, sleep with a friend or cut your hair. Buy some hair toys, treat yourself to some ice cream, shampoo the carpet, do something for yourself and remember, things will get better!

slo2gro
September 11th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Never make irreversible decisions during stress! Don't sell your house, buy or sell stock, sleep with a friend or cut your hair. Buy some hair toys, treat yourself to some ice cream, shampoo the carpet, do something for yourself and remember, things will get better!

OMG this is sooooo true. See all the other stuff in there I SOOOO would never do but the hair one i have done so many times and lived to regret it. THIS time in life NOT doing it. My hair has become sacred to me now.

WOOT I know i say that too much haha :cheese::cheese:

pink.sara
September 11th, 2011, 01:23 PM

For the colour, I guess what would be best is to keep going, touching up the roots with a very gentle developer and colour, and then maybe when I have got that artificial dye down to my collar bone, cutting then, and using something like colour oops. Arrgghhh that just takes patience! :justy:

That's exactly it! Patience. Shes a b***h but it pays off to have some.
I've spent 2 years growing out colour damage and have cut back to a chin length POB twice to be rid of it. But 2 years of patience later it is creeping up to APL and feeling great. It may not have the best style as it's so thick it just kind of sits there like a big block... But I know by this time next year I'll be looking at BSL hair and feeling like ive achieved something.

Maybe have a play with different SMT recipes or play with temporary dyes to cure boredom? And I would recommend having your hair styled once to a blunt or easy to maintain shape then just leaving it for as long as possible!
I managed not to trim for 13 months and it made a huge difference to growth progress. :)

I hope you can resist the urge to do something drastic until you are less stressed :)

prairiewoman068
September 11th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I say: don't do it, or do something "less" drastic. I just recently had mine "trimmed" (read: scalped) I feel so bald! I was just past BSL, and now I'm terribly thinned, and barely past collar. (Not at all what I intended!) But, there it is! *sob* I guess it will grow some more. I, too have had a time of stress in my life lately (divorce or not?), and a dead computer to boot!