PDA

View Full Version : Your best, never-fail, all-time favorite MOISTURE treatment/conditioner?

SheeJee
September 11th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I tried doing a stretch test on wet hair today, and my hair broke pretty much straight away and some other hair broke and then curled up a lot (my hair is wavy, 2b anyway). I know my hair is very unhealthy for some reason :( I have some medical conditions, probably not very great genes in terms of hair, a history of frequent heat styling and just general problems in regards to my hair. I'm thinking I am in great need of some moisture treatments/conditioners, and just wanted to know what everyone's favorite all time moisture conditioners/treatments were, as I am in a hair emergency at the moment with dry, weak hair :(

I have tried an SMT using a cone free Tresemme naturals Radiance conditioner, the results were only okay though - it left some white bits in my hair, I just washed out the SMT (which I left on my hair overnight and also added some avocado oil to it) and my hair looked shiny but it didn't have any long lasting effects on my hair I think :(

If anyone can recommend any great moisture only conditioners or treatments that they swear by, or offer any secrets to increasing moisture in their hair, that would be much appreciated :) Thank you!

EmiliaF
September 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM
The very, very, very best thing I have found is the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie.
It says it's for curly hair, but if you look at the ingredient list, it is really just a mixture of very moisturizing things. Since you don't need a lot (my hair is at 38'' right now and I started a new one last Monday; it still looks like it's completely full...) the price is absolutely okay.
My hair soaks it up and is not weighed down at all. I even gloss the canopy and use it more than once a day. I am absolutely in love with that stuff!!!

Safira
September 11th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I love Jessicurl Weekly Treatment, Tigi Moisture Maniac and Giovanni Smooth as Silk.

cheetahfast
September 11th, 2011, 09:13 AM
The very, very, very best thing I have found is the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie.
It says it's for curly hair, but if you look at the ingredient list, it is really just a mixture of very moisturizing things. Since you don't need a lot (my hair is at 38'' right now and I started a new one last Monday; it still looks like it's completely full...) the price is absolutely okay.
My hair soaks it up and is not weighed down at all. I even gloss the canopy and use it more than once a day. I am absolutely in love with that stuff!!!

+1 I love this stuff too!!! A little really goes a long way.

pinchbeck
September 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I will be following this thread. Although I have no damage, my hair snarls easily and some members suggested using a deep conditioning treatment. Not sure if it should be protein packed our moisture packed. Pre-oiling with coconut oil makes my hair very soft, but sometimes I am lazy.

virgo75
September 11th, 2011, 11:21 AM
The absolute best moisturizing treatment I've ever used is Biolage's Ultra Hydrating Balm. It's 100x more moisturizing than the regular Conditioning Balm which I only find to be "ok."

The Ultra Hydrating can actually over moistuize my hair!!! Which has never, EVER happened before. I was shocked. It's amazing stuff.

Ithonna
September 11th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist. Holy grail conditioner. And the Dove Intensive Repair shampoo and conditioner is amazing too. But I am a 'cone head, so as far as cone free goes I can't help.

Anya21
September 11th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Joico K-pak Intense Hydrator does wonders for me!

longcurlygirl<3
September 11th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Jessicurl Weekly Deep treatment :) Will be trying SM curling smoothie after so many reviews :)

CurlyCap
September 11th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Oil-conditioner mix, every day, until your hair feels better.

I think it depends on how dry your hair is, and how much oil your hair likes, but mix oil into your conditioner (start with a few drops...it's easier to add more later) and co-wash for a week. On the weekend, shampoo/condition, and then start all over.

My hair is a moisture junkie, and only since I started doing this has my hair finally stopped screaming for water.

I use a leave-in as well (aloe vera + oil based), but that's mostly because it helps define my curls.

pinchbeck
September 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Oil-conditioner mix, every day, until your hair feels better.

I think it depends on how dry your hair is, and how much oil your hair likes, but mix oil into your conditioner (start with a few drops...it's easier to add more later) and co-wash for a week. .I read somewhere in the forums that oil removes oil. So, would this also be true if a person adds oil to their conditioner? Oil is frequently added to conditioner by hair product lines and their labels will claim the product is moisturizing. Now I don't know...:confused:

Blond On Blond
September 11th, 2011, 04:40 PM
L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Nurturing Creme. Never fails.

CurlyCap
September 11th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I read somewhere in the forums that oil removes oil. So, would this also be true if a person adds oil to their conditioner?

Well, yes, it's true. If you have oil on your hair or scalp, just rinsing with water usually isn't enough. You need something that can actually dissolved the oil. Therefore oil is used to removed oil. It's also why people find that conditioner removes the oil from deep treatments better than just plain shampoo.

Adding oil to conditioner is slightly different. Because it is dissolved in the conditioner, not all of the oil can stay on the hair/scalp when you rinse. However, because it's oil and your rinsing with water, some of it also stays behind, sealing the hair shaft.

In my case, it helps my hair retain water better than applying a leave-in after I shower. My hair is more evenly coated, even though the oil is more lightly applied.

xcrunr2go
September 11th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Aveda's Dry Rememdy Moisturising Shampoo

chou
September 11th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I love Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose conditioner. It works best for me when left to soak on hair for at least five minutes, so it adds some time to my shower, but it's worth it. Just today for the first time I tried the Shea Moisture style and curl milk and it was seriously incredible. Left my hair soft and shiny and my waves boingy and bouncy! It's also a good price for an all-natural leave-in, IMO. Very strong coconut scent, but it faded.
I'm also having good luck with the Whole Foods store brand 365 lavender conditioner. It's very cheap and more moisturizing than cheap drugstore conditioners like Suave or V05

Regarding the white bits in the SMT, those might be forming because your conditioner has protein in it, although I'm sure of the exact reason why this happens. This happened to me with a conditioner that I didn't know contained protein until I looked up the ingredients. The protein in there was also drying out my hair, incidentally. Everything was better after I stopped using it. Have you diagnosed your hair to see if it needs more protein or moisture? There is a very good article on here that helped me immeasurably.

jojo
September 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I love tigi moisture manic and also Avon's advocado and almond oil conditioner, I use it as a mask as its so thick.