PDA

View Full Version : Go to styles when travelling

julliams
September 11th, 2011, 03:02 AM
I'm just past waist so I have lots of options but I'm looking for some ideas for style to wear on our upcoming trip Paris, Zurich, Abu Dabi). Normally I would just to updos but when I'm in a plane for 24 hours and trains for around 7 hours, I'm going to need something that allows me to relax my head on the back of the seat.

I also want something that's going to stay out of my face but look nice in photos. I'm thinking of a pouf with a low pony or english braid.

Any other thoughts based on travelling experience?

schweedie
September 11th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I usually do a French plait when I'm travelling. Looks nice and allows for head-resting. :)

Deliciosa
September 11th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Will you have to sleep in it? Or better do you want it so comfi that you can sleep in it?

For me french braids always worked the trick...you can tuck the braid away or bun it up or for sleeping let it loose

Personally updo like a cinnamon bun or so would be too uncomfi especially when sit-sleeping on the train.

Hope that helps...

OH, if your roots/scalp gets achey try lavender oil...always relaxes me on long trips...you could do a little batch of your fav hair oil and just put a view drops of lav. oil in it, massage your scalp especially in the front to stay relaxed ;)

bunzfan
September 11th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I was going to say a braided bun with your ficcare but, as you want to do some resting maybe just a braid.

Lemur_Catta
September 11th, 2011, 05:55 AM
In this cases, I usually wear two braids. They are very comfortable and look good in pictures :D I find I can't relax my head the same way if I am wearing a single braid.

MinderMutsig
September 11th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I'd do a french or english braid into a braided bun. Then when you want to rest your head or go to sleep you just take out the sticks and you're set. In the morning you can bun it again to keep it out of the way.

julliams
September 11th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I used to wear 2 braids but at 38 I feel like it's a little young for me personally. I tried two dutch braids on either side going into one english braid at the back or low pony and it's actually not bad. I'll practice a little this week so that I can do it well without a mirror.

Pierre
September 11th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I second two braids. I nearly always have two braids, usually crossed or bunned, and they're quite easy when traveling, whether sitting or sleeping.

slz
September 11th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I used to wear 2 braids but at 38 I feel like it's a little young for me personally.
I will have to disagree since I'm older than you and wear 2 braids from time to time - the key is to make them more behind than on the sides, thus from the front you look just the same as with one single braid. And then when you want a change you can put them up in a chinese bun.
What I prefer to do when traveling : 2 braids, or better, 4. Because the smaller they are, the better they'll be able to sustain "wear" - less frizz, etc. Also the wieght is better distrbuted with 4 than with 2. And you still get the benefit of the sectionning in two when you want to relax (pull each braid in front of you on its side, very comfortable). Out of the plane for a more polished look : up in a bun (chinese bun + 2 upper braids coiled around), or gathered in the back in a ponytail (with a slide or such if you want, sometimes I just cross the upper raids around the 2 lower ones and knot them). Or just put a bandana on top if you like the look, which will keep the braids in control behind while not hiding them totally.
Really if you plan not to be able to do your hair for a long time, several smaller braids is the way to go.

julliams
September 11th, 2011, 07:03 AM
I hope I haven't offended anyone as I know there are many women older than me that do wear two braids but for me personally I feel it doesn't look right on me. But yes, putting them more to the back might just be the trick. I'm trialling it right now though and it is quite comfortable.

It's not that I want to not do my hair - the frizz wouldn't allow me to do that (plus I love combing/brushing through my hair). I'm going to wear it to two dutch braids for the next couple of days and see how it goes. I can always try a headband or bandana too.

Thanks again.

Madora
September 11th, 2011, 07:39 AM
How about a lace braid around your head?

Have a wonderful time!

Chromis
September 11th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I always wear a false crown braid when travelling. I use small plastic clips to avoid setting off the metal detectors. Your hair wouldn't be long enough yet do wrap one single braid around, but you could probably do two like Pierre does. I have never mastered the actual crown braid, but I think it takes much less hair.

Lostsoule77
September 11th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I always travel with a single english braid, even on a 24 hour trip to New Zealand. It does get frizzy. I just bring a comb and redo it in the airplane or airport bathroom. It makes it easy to redo, bun, sleep in, etc.

Whatever you come up with have a great trip!

celebriangel
September 11th, 2011, 07:54 AM
When I wish torelax, I do a single french or dutch braid - but I do it diagonally across my head, starting at the top right of my head, ending at the bottom of my neck below my left ear. Then, the end of the braid hangs down the front of my left shoulder, much like a side braid.

I find this is comfy and, if you have already mastered an ordinary french/dutch braid, it is no harder than those.

pepperminttea
September 11th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I travel with a single English braid, too. Don't take any valuable or unreplaceable hairtoys with you, especially not through hand luggage or on your person - if the airport takes it away you're stuck (guess how I know :( ).

tinti
September 11th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I would wear 2 English braids, or maybe French or Dutch, as long as they're braided more to the sides instead of to the back, so you don't have ny bumps annoying you in your sleep/rest. You could allways have a hairstick handy incase you want them up, so you could make a chinese bun or something when the need arises (or whatever)

Panth
September 11th, 2011, 10:03 AM
For actual airtravel, I recommend heidi braids or the faux crown braid (I've also heard it called a coronet braid - basically, like heidi braids but with a single english braid wrapped around the head not two). However, at 31" you're probably unlikely to be able to do a faux crown braid yet (I think I wasn't able until about 36" or maybe 38").

The reason I recommend those is that they do not make bulk at the back of the head and so are good for sleeping in chairs. Also, you can unpin them but the hair remains in a contained style (1 or 2 english braids). Then, once the 'plane lands you can re-pin (without mirrors, with a little practice).

Also, I agree with everyone who said don't travel with any hairtoys you really like, particularly not in carry-on luggage / on your person as you fly. Anything pointy, even if it's a hairfork or a hairstick, even if it's wood or something, is liable to get confiscated, no matter how much you protest and no matter how expensive it was.

Eternal.Fiend
September 11th, 2011, 10:54 AM
A french braid that goes diagonally over the back of your head to the side? Or just a side braid actually.... Allows you to rest, can add a pouf if you want and with it over your shoulder, still look nice in pictures. At least, that's what I would do if I didn't want two braids :)

BlazingHeart
September 11th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I use single or paired english braids. I find them much more comfortable than french or dutch - the tension going up the spine of those can give me a headache, especially if I'm leaning my head back against a headrest.

~Blaze